Thread: Different Scenarios about Rulings

Jun 2016
    Switzerland

Different Scenarios about Rulings

Hello all

As i have received different answers from judges to my questions in the past i will ask here in the forum.

Scenario 1:

I control a Leyline of Sancity.
    OP controls a Eidolon of the Great Revel a Sulfuric Vortex and a Monastery Swiftspear.
    He declares attackers and attacks me with both creatures, i response with Repeal targeting Eidolon.
    Eidolon triggers (CMC Repeal on the stack = 3).
    Do i get this damage in face of controlling the Leyline?

Oracle Text of Eidolon:
    Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost 3 or less, Eidolon of the Great Revel deals 2 damage to that player.

Oracle Text of Leyline:
    If Leyline of Sanctity is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
    You have hexproof. (You can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)

I know that on Eidolon it's not written with "target" but this would just sound stupid "Eidolon of the Great Revel deals 2 damage to that target player"...
    And Eidolons ability is controlled by my OP.

Same question belongs to Vortex.

Scenario 2:

I cast Thoughtseize and choose my OP.

a) OP has no cards in hand, do i loose live (little bit stupid i know)?
    b) OP has only lands in hand, do i loose live because i can't choose lands and he discards nothing?

Thank you for all the constuctive answers!
    | Grixis Control
    | Canadian Threshold

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Re: Different Scenarios about Rulings

Quote Originally Posted by diablo4488 View Post
    Hello all

Scenario 2:

I cast Thoughtseize and choose my OP.

a) OP has no cards in hand, do i loose live (little bit stupid i know)?
    b) OP has only lands in hand, do i loose live because i can't choose lands and he discards nothing?

Thank you for all the constuctive answers!
    You always lose life if thoughtseize resolves. When you see his/her hand the spell resolved, so you will lose life regardless if you have a card to take or not
    Quote Originally Posted by MXG View Post
    Leovold because he is just gasoline. Look at the artwork. He knows it's over. He's offering your opponent the handshake.

1)
    In Magic if a card targets then it will have the word 'target' in the text. (For some older cards with updated wording you should check the oracle text rather than the printed text).
    The only thing that targets without saying the word 'target' on it (as far as I am aware) is an Aura spell, e.g. Holy Strength. (Some other specific abilities like Equip have the word 'target' in the full rules text but not in the keyword).

Eidolon does not have the word 'target' on it and neither does Sulfuric Vortex, therefore they do not target. These cards do not interact with Leyline of Sanctity and will still damage you even if you have Leyline on the battlefield.

2)
    As commented above, whenever a spell resolves you do as much as possible. Even if you are unable to discard a card from your opponents hand you will still lose 2 life in both of the given scenarios.

If a spell or ability has the word "target" in its text, then it targets. If it doesn't, then it doesn't target.

You lose life from Thoughtsieze regardless of whether you find a valid card to choose.
    Last edited by cdr; 04-13-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information