Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Commander 2017 Edition

Re: Commander 2017 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Suprised that they brought phasing back, out of all things. Now print a Sulfur Elemental for blue creatures, you goddamn chucklefucks.

This

It's an inferior card in an inferior color combination. Not to mention the nonbo with exile effects.

As a beater, it's just okay, but still dies to every relevant removal spell. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the bounty counters lose their effect if Mathas leaves the battlefield? So removal for it in response to a bounty creature which is about to die and it does fuck all.

TL;DR:
    It's shit.
    No. The effect stays on ,as it's inherent in the counter-placing ability.

Card is still shit when compared to Leo, though.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I'm intrigued by this card a bit:

You only need to attack with one guy to untap all your other nonland permanents. Casting cost is reasonable. Thinking about multiple activations of Mom/Knight/DRS, potential synergy with Opposition or Glare of Subdual (on-color), Tangle Wire, the Elves engine, vehicles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I'm intrigued by this card a bit:

You only need to attack with one guy to untap all your other nonland permanents. Casting cost is reasonable. Thinking about multiple activations of Mom/Knight/DRS, potential synergy with Opposition or Glare of Subdual (on-color), Tangle Wire, the Elves engine, vehicles, etc.
    Well, it would definitely work with Stasis.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If that's the case, then it's going to be a rules mess with Bounty Hunter. And it's still alot of hoops to jump through to draw a card.
    I think you're making a lot of assumptions about Bounty Hunter's role in the meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I think you're making a lot of assumptions about Bounty Hunter's role in the meta.
    It doesn't need to be a good rules interaction to make it a messy rules interaction. Even if it never comes up in a sanctioned game doesn't mean it shouldn't have clarification. I'm waiting to see what that ruling is, if players are going to be expected to keep track of which bounty counter is from which source.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Overall I'm mostly happy about these cards not being TNN/Leovold level. Those cards are frankly stupid and broken and we'd all be happier if they'd never been printed in current form, which is - enough to warp meta, but not enough to warrant banning.

The curses look interesting, though it's totally unsurprising that the white one is absolute trash (2 life? Seriously?), the blue and black ones look pretty strong.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    It doesn't need to be a good rules interaction to make it a messy rules interaction. Even if it never comes up in a sanctioned game doesn't mean it shouldn't have clarification. I'm waiting to see what that ruling is, if players are going to be expected to keep track of which bounty counter is from which source.
    I think we can safely infer the rules from the clarifications made around Obsidian Fireheart. I'll isolate two:

10/1/2009 If all blaze counters on a land are moved to a different land, the triggered ability doesn’t follow them. The first land no longer has the ability because it no longer has a blaze counter on it. The second land doesn’t have the ability because Obsidian Fireheart didn’t target it.
    10/1/2009 If a land ends up with more than one blaze counter on it (thanks to Doubling Season or Gilder Bairn, for example), the ability still only causes it to deal 1 damage to its controller each turn.
    So when an effect moves the land's blaze counter(s) from Land A to Land B, we see that Land A no longer deals damage to the player because it doesn't satisfy the conditions, and Land B will not deal damage because it was never targeted by Obsidian Fireheart so it doesn't have the extra text on it in the first place.

Mathas's wording is virtually identical to this card and so I would expect it to work the same; the creature targeted by Mathas essentially gains "If -this- has a bounty counter on it, when this dies Do The Thing". If that counter is moved to a new target, that wording doesn't move with it. If the original creature gains a new bounty counter from Bounty Hunter, it would be eligible to trigger the ability on death again.

Really I don't think we'll have to track the counters and their source, so much as we'll have to track which creatures were targeted by Mathas in the first place, since that's where the triggered ability is basically being appended to its existing text.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGlantz View Post
    Seems good to me. Good vs a lot of combo. Sideboardable for sure.

Its especially cool in vintage where it beats all of the combo decks except for doomsday and hilarious vs Oath decks.
    If it's cheap, this is a budget option for Ad Naseum decks. Like, a really bad one. Like, you need eight mana in a single turn to even start comboing out.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    ...Casting cost is reasonable. ...
    Certainly the most significant factor in the cards so far. The red curse is also a little interesting since it's potentially free ramp.

Confirmed incoming rules change to Phasing:

Matt Tabak‏ @TabakRules 45m45 minutes ago
    More
    Effective 8/25 (#MTGC17 release), we're changing the rules so tokens can phase out and phase back in. Batterskulls rejoice! #WotCstaff

and

Matt Tabak‏ @TabakRules 3h3 hours ago
    More
    Phased out permanents neither leave nor enter the battlefield. You just pretend they aren't there for a time. #WotCstaff

and

More
    Phased out tokens never leave the battlefield, and them exploding was an unnecessary nod to original functionality. Cleaner system now.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

More
    Effective 8/25 (#MTGC17 release), we're changing the rules so tokens can phase out and phase back in. Batterskulls rejoice! #WotCstaff

and

More
    Phased out permanents neither leave nor enter the battlefield. You just pretend they aren't there for a time. #WotCstaff

and

More
    Phased out tokens never leave the battlefield, and them exploding was an unnecessary nod to original functionality. Cleaner system now.
    So. Phasing confirmed for the upcoming Dominaria set?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Don't go getting my hopes up like that...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Phased out tokens never leave the battlefield, and them exploding was an unnecessary nod to original functionality. Cleaner system now.[/I]
    Not sure it was the worst section of the rules, but it did seem like it needed a revision.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    And then they bring back "Banding with others", just to fuck with us.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Certainly the most significant factor in the cards so far. The red curse is also a little interesting since it's potentially free ramp.
    Free ramp AND mana fixing - that is storable.

Could get pretty silly with haste creatures for immediate value. I'm looking at you, Swiftspear.

There are also other interesting interactions like saccing permanents or upping your artifact count for whatever you need. Not sure into what deck it could go, but it's a neat little card we should keep our eyes on.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

More

and

More

and

More
    Cool, fix Waylay next? :(

Nah this really is good though, phasing is one of the screwiest things to ever happen to Magic the Cards. As it isn't a zone change anymore it definitely doesn't make sense to SBE all the tokens

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Cool, fix Waylay next? :(

Nah this really is good though, phasing is one of the screwiest things to ever happen to Magic the Cards. As it isn't a zone change anymore it definitely doesn't make sense to SBE all the tokens
    Pretty poor fix, no reason to remove token hate from phasing. Should not be rewarding people for relying on non-cards, and this interaction hardly came up - even less frequent was indirect phasing, end even less frequent than that was an indirectly phased card failing to return to phase. They should also really back off from trying to color-shift the mechanic to play nicely with white cards.

Phasing never changed zones, this is not a rules update. All it changes does is allows you to not get punished by casting ETA/Mentor/Bskull/Thopter-Sword followed by a self-phasing effect. Not a move in the right direction.

Phasing has never exiled tokens, tokens exiled themselves as SBAs were checked. This is a direct buff to tokens, not a change to phasing itself.

Just incase it was missed (didn't see it posted here), the phasing change was likely a result of this gem, not because of Dominaria.

EDIT: Card is nuts, possibly legacy playable even? I can see all kinds of situations where this is just.... great.

First, I love that they brought back phasing. I especially love that they're showing the spell Teferi cast to phase out Jamuraa and part of Shiv (those are Phyrexian planar portals in the sky).

Second, it's probably not Legacy playable, for a few reasons:
    • It's in the same color as Thalia and Angel's Grace, which are individually less powerful against combo but are still better than this because of smaller casting costs;
    • Against permanent-based combo decks like Show and Tell, it doesn't actually stop cards like Griselbrand or Emrakul from attacking once you phase back in;
    • There is no white deck in the format right now that doesn't also run blue, doesn't run Thalia, gets to three mana regularly, and is jonesing for what is basically a Time Stop. The best I can think of is maaaaybe Aggro Loam.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Pretty poor fix, no reason to remove token hate from phasing. Should not be rewarding people for relying on non-cards, and this interaction hardly came up - even less frequent was indirect phasing, end even less frequent than that was an indirectly phased card failing to return to phase. They should also really back off from trying to color-shift the mechanic to play nicely with white cards.

Phasing never changed zones, this is not a rules update. All it changes does is allows you to not get punished by casting ETA/Mentor/Bskull/Thopter-Sword followed by a self-phasing effect. Not a move in the right direction.

Phasing has never exiled tokens, tokens exiled themselves as SBAs were checked. This is a direct buff to tokens, not a change to phasing itself.
    What? Phased-out zone was absolutely a thing back in the day. That's *exactly* why tokens died when they phased out, because tokens by definition can only exist on the battlefield. Now, phased-out is a status of the card, like "face down" or "tapped" so it doesn't change zones anymore, but it absolutely *used to be* a zone change. See this link as an example of the previous rules surrounding phased-out permanents.
    https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Phased_out

It's also worth noting that, with the current reminder text, most players who weren't already aware of the interaction between phasing and tokens (which exists mostly because of fiat at this point) were going to play as if the tokens didn't get exiled. Since the Commander product is generally designed with as an entry point / introductory product, I don't think it's surprising that they would tweak phasing to make it work more intuitively.

Thread Information