Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Commander 2017 Edition

Re: Commander 2017 Edition

Jeleva is often used as just the best URB commander for a Storm deck with not much particular synergy (some people prefer Nekusar I guess) and I think Kess functions as a much better replacement in that sense.

Inalla seems like it could be pretty good as a control/value shell but I think that's a bit slow and I don't know what the win condition is supposed to be.
    Maybe you can use paradox engine to chain off a bunch of drain 7s...
    Edit: I guess it could also be pretty nuts with Intruder Alarm and the copy ability, there could something there, too bad there aren't many wizards that tap for mana

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Was on a two week vacation and came back to all the spoilers .

I'm sure it's been discussed but Shifting Shadow is pretty cool - it's a slower cheaper polymorph - you can get it out turn 2 easy and get your big guy in turn 3. What's more - you can chain searching for a bunch of indestructible creatures since shadow destroys instead of sacrifices.

Mairsil is cool as well - idk if there's anything better than caging a grisslebrand . . . but then why not just reanimate grisslebrand then

Kess is also cool and IMO has legacy potential, slot it into a 4C delver deck as a flyer that is bolt/AD proof and gives you huge CA as it sticks around - and boy did Grixis get the best stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Mairsil is cool as well - idk if there's anything better than caging a grisslebrand . . . but then why not just reanimate grisslebrand then
    Marsil is practically Show and Tells 5-8 in the right list, that's what is interesting.

bruizar

4x Kess, Dissident Mage
    Great grixis colored card. It gives you flashback every turn. You can probe immediately to get your card back and follow it up with value cards. Buries opponent in card advantage quickly and I think it is almost like a yawgmoth's will for mid range and late game decks.

4x Mathas, Fiend Seeker
    This will probably be not good enough, but I like that it replaces itself in the same turn by marking one of opponent's creatures. I can see this burying an opponent in card advantage which would happen if you play enough spot removal against a deck with sufficient targets. Making your spot removal draw cards and gain life is great. What's nice is that the counters still work if Mathas is already gone.

4x Licia, Sanguine Tribune
    I see this going into soldier-tribal. Preeminent captain can bring this out, tapped and attacking. If you pay 5 life, you swing for 7/7 first strike lifelink on the first hit, 10/10 on the next. It's the best fatty soldiers can cheat into play. You can even pitch it to blazing shoal for 8 damage, or 16 if you have a doublestriker :-)

4x Crimson Honor Guard
    I like this card, though probably not playable. It is very aggressive and most likely way too bad for any deck, but it was only a couple of cents

4x Shifting Shadow
    I like it, but it is likely unplayable.

1x Wasitora, Nekoru Queen
    Nic Fit card. GSZ'able recurring diabolic edict with evasion and trample. If there is nothing to edict, you still get value out of its trigger in the form of a 3/3 flying cat

4x Bloodforged Battle-Axe
    Low CC and low equip cost. Dodged engineered explosives with 0-CC copies and 1-CC original. The copies also copy the copy clause, so it can get out of hand quickly. I can see this go into affinity as well, to pump their free creatures.

4x Curse of Disturbance
    The zombie this guy makes replaces the creature that may have died in combat to trigger it. This keeps itself going. Also good for braid's stax

4x Curse of Opulence
    The card on the top of my list. Great for affinity giving you more artifacts and colored mana from attacking with an Ornithopter, Signal Pest or Memnite. Pumps cranial and master of ethereum, sacks for ravager and galvanic blast and fixes metalcraft for mox opals. Only 1 red mana means the first attack gives you your mana back.

4x Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
    I think this is an exciting aggro card

4x The Ur-Dragon
    Dragons are always in demand, 5 color commanders are too. This one is a Natural Order and Sneak Attack Target while giving you the ability to SNT something into play so it sticks around, even an Omniscience. Via this route you could use Sneak Attack in an Omniscience build. Also cantrips/draws a card with Sneak and Show.

May 2013
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Low CC and low equip cost. Dodged engineered explosives with 0-CC copies and 1-CC original. The copies also copy the copy clause, so it can get out of hand quickly. I can see this go into affinity as well, to pump their free creatures.
    Don't think that EE dodging works. Pretty sure copied objects also copy the CMC of the original. (see 706.2.)
    Current Legacy Decks: Elves, 12Post, Eldrazi Stompy, Burn, Reanimator, Death&Taxes

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphnir View Post
    Don't think that EE dodging works. Pretty sure copied objects also copy the CMC of the original. (see 706.2.)
    Ah thanks for clearing that up!

Low CC and low equip cost. Dodged engineered explosives with 0-CC copies and 1-CC original. The copies also copy the copy clause, so it can get out of hand quickly. I can see this go into affinity as well, to pump their free creatures...
    As mentioned, the EE thing doesn't work. You also need some way to pay or cheat the equip costs.

bruizar

I watched this commander 2017 preview game and it gave some insights even though this is very kitchen table

In this game, Curse of Opulensce is punching far above its weight. The ur-dragon performed well too.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I watched this commander 2017 preview game and it gave some insights even though this is very kitchen table

In this game, Curse of Opulensce is punching far above its weight. The ur-dragon performed well too.
    I don't generally watch a lot of games but that was pretty cool. I was washing dishes at the same time so maybe I missed something but I feel like Wizards.dec didn't actually get rolling? Also I totally misread the Cat deck's Eminence ability and I was surprised at its capacity for quick beats. I still feel like I would prefer the Vamp deck though. Maybe it's a common trick but I've never seen StP and Sanguine Bond used like that so that got style points from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Yeah, my impression is that the Wizard deck was the bone thrown to people who don't care about tribal, but the problem is that it either needed more raw power or better synergy to keep pace with the other decks, and it didn't get that. It's probably the deck people are going to disassemble or rebuild the quickest.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Yeah, my impression is that the Wizard deck was the bone thrown to people who don't care about tribal, but the problem is that it either needed more raw power or better synergy to keep pace with the other decks, and it didn't get that. It's probably the deck people are going to disassemble or rebuild the quickest.
    It's funny because the guy at Tolarian Community College downplayed the efficacy of the Dragon deck for its harsh mana base, but in that vid that deck was probably the one that came back the quickest from board wipes.

I mean it's just one game and maybe Dragons drew the nuts, idk. I'm still on Team Vamp tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's funny because the guy at Tolarian Community College downplayed the efficacy of the Dragon deck for its harsh mana base, but in that vid that deck was probably the one that came back the quickest from board wipes.

I mean it's just one game and maybe Dragons drew the nuts, idk. I'm still on Team Vamp tho
    I'm bullish on the ur-dragon and I think it could help reanimator strategies perfectly that rely on SNT as a plan B, or that use Goryo's Vengeance. Yes, Griselbrand, Emrakul, Progenitus and other broken cards exist. I still think there's a place for the ur-dragon.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Mairsil seems pretty good, but I don't think he's nearly equivalent to G-Brand. Grix colors make him a bit tough to hard-cast, four mana's a steep threshold to reach, and lacking Lifelink will be a problem. Doesn't help that he can't Bargain twice a turn. Seems like he'd be good in—well—Commander, though.

Thread Information