Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Iconic Masters" on November 17th 2017

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Re: Rumor: "Iconic Masters" on November 17th 2017

Those salty butthurt kiddies on that twitter gripefest who never played legacy before but who solemnly declare they won't play it for sure now until the reserved list goes are hilarious.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Why? We are not one uniform group who agree on this topic.
    That's legitimately good to hear.

What bothers me is the exclusive mentality on display in that thread.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: "Iconic Masters" on November 17th 2017

Changed the title since the set is official now.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    The comments in that thread are beginning to persuade me that I'd hate the Vintage community.
    In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Those salty butthurt kiddies on that twitter gripefest who never played legacy before but who solemnly declare they won't play it for sure now until the reserved list goes are hilarious.
    Not sure what's hilarious about not wanting to get into Legacy until it costs less money than a top-of-the-line PC. "Reasonable" seems a much more accurate term than "hilarious."

For anyone potentially interested in the eternal formats, I'd honestly recommend the Pokemon TCG at this point, or Force of Will if it's active in your area. The Pokemon TCG is basically playing Vintage at Standard prices. Plus, its online version is actually pretty good.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Just thinking, what would I myself class as "Iconic"? Value aside.

Serra
    Spector
    Ritual
    Swords
    Drain
    Shivan
    Worldgorger
    Trike
    Birds
    Counterspell
    Clone
    Brainstorm (I don't have to like the card to admit it's true)
    Lord cards, like Lord of Atlantis or Goblin King
    Ornithopter
    Lighting Bolt
    Giant Growth
    Jayemdae Tome
    Unholy Strength (That pentagram... So many issues.)
    Nightmare
    Mishra's Factory
    Fear
    Force
    Wasteland

Things I remember from when I started:
    Anything with Storm printed on it
    Fetches
    Patriarch's Bidding
    Goblin Piledriver
    Artifact lands
    Jitte
    Krosan Cloudscraper (First foil for me. 7th starter or whatever it was called.)

More modern things:
    Baneslayer Angel
    Goyf
    DRS
    Jace TMS
    Lodestone
    Vendilion Clique
    Consecrated Sphinx

I mean, that's just shooting the shit. This could really be anything. The name doesn't tell us a whole lot really.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    In what way?

Not sure what's hilarious about not wanting to get into Legacy until it costs less money than a top-of-the-line PC. "Reasonable" seems a much more accurate term than "hilarious."

For anyone potentially interested in the eternal formats, I'd honestly recommend the Pokemon TCG at this point, or Force of Will if it's active in your area. The Pokemon TCG is basically playing Vintage at Standard prices. Plus, its online version is actually pretty good.
    PC? Jesus, my two favorite decks (Painter and 4c Loam) cost more than my car!

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    PC? Jesus, my two favorite decks (Painter and 4c Loam) cost more than my car!
    And two top tier modern decks might cost more than some peoples car. Welcome to MTG.
    Tusk Up

In what way?

I absolutely agree with this.

The problem, as I see it, is that Wizards, althoiugh their paper product is turning out pretty decent, is really bad at integrating that stuff into other things. This set feels a lot like a cashgrab, rather than a set that could be leveraged into further player growth and retention.

I say that as someone who's put nearly five figures into Commander decks this past few years.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by hymnyou View Post
    And two top tier modern decks might cost more than some peoples car. Welcome to MTG.
    Legacy is only what it is (was?) because it was a fun format AND affordable.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Just thinking, what would I myself class as "Iconic"? Value aside.

Serra
    Spector
    Ritual
    Swords
    Drain
    Shivan
    Worldgorger
    Trike
    Birds
    Counterspell
    Clone
    Brainstorm (I don't have to like the card to admit it's true)
    Lord cards, like Lord of Atlantis or Goblin King
    Ornithopter
    Lighting Bolt
    Giant Growth
    Jayemdae Tome
    Unholy Strength (That pentagram... So many issues.)
    Nightmare
    Mishra's Factory
    Fear
    Force
    Wasteland

Things I remember from when I started:
    Anything with Storm printed on it
    Fetches
    Patriarch's Bidding
    Goblin Piledriver
    Artifact lands
    Jitte
    Krosan Cloudscraper (First foil for me. 7th starter or whatever it was called.)

More modern things:
    Baneslayer Angel
    Goyf
    DRS
    Jace TMS
    Lodestone
    Vendilion Clique
    Consecrated Sphinx

I mean, that's just shooting the shit. This could really be anything. The name doesn't tell us a whole lot really.
    Really dreaming here but if WotC brought back the old borders and printed many of the above cards in IMA that way, holy shit would that set sell like hotcakes even if the majority of the cards getting reprinted are worth $5-10 at the time (the IMA old border versions would be worth more of course).
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

In what way?

They can buy in over time, I did. if you look at the money these types drop on their Modern decks (foil Tarfires, Urza's baubles and other shit), being short on cash can't be it. But the people who whine theysomehow have a right to participate in one very specific luxury hobby are not the kind of people I tend to have fun with playing, and therefor shouldn't stink up my rare available gaming sessions. Yay reserved list!

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

They can buy in over time, I did. if you look at the money these types drop on their Modern decks (foil Tarfires, Urza's baubles and other shit), being short on cash can't be it. But the people who whine theysomehow have a right to participate in one very specific luxury hobby are not the kind of people I tend to have fun with playing, and therefor shouldn't stink up my rare available gaming sessions. Yay reserved list!
    Well, I mean, it would be great if there were people to participate with...

Edit: Magic is not a 'luxury hobby', ffs. It's a card game marketed to poor people. This isn't yachting or some shit.

Its pretty funny, does anyone really think wizards is going to make a non-rotating format with 98% of staples no longer in boosters more popular?

Wizards isn't reprinting dual lands because they want people to play limited, standard or modern. The "if you don't abolish the reserved list I'll never play legacy" tweets are probably being met with a "lol thats fine, keep buying new product" on their side of the fence.

Iconic masters is going to flat out suck. Just look at FTV 20 and the epic card selection, this will be the same except its a set with 9.99$ MSRP boosters, which my great LGS will translate into 19.99€ as they did with MM2017, only to complain the local players are buying their shit online.

Entertainment ahead.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

What's the general difference between Iconic masters and Masters 25 ? Who are the sets aimed at?

Rosewater:
    Iconic Masters is a more traditional Masters with a light theme of the iconic creatures. The 25th Anniversary Masters is high on nostalgia with cards from (almost) every set in Magic.

May 2015
    PDX

Masters 25 better have classic borders, otherwise no nostalgia. Odd though to say "iconic creatures" and not have classics like Juzam or other RL guys.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I honestly feel like between shocks and the cheap-as-feth duals they printed like candy, making a draw-go deck is pretty feasible with.. 1 real dual? maybe 2? Just have a load of fetches and fetch EoT. Your opponents won't know until mid game-1 what you're doing, especially because UW draw-go often fetch basics anyway, so I'm not sure what the whining is about.

Sure, it's worse.. but it drives me nuts that people look at someone like myself, who wouldn't buy in if they thought it would evaporate, and then go "lol you should lose out since it's not REAL collector's cards and I'm unwilling to put up money that other people did/do" You can get Scrub/Badlands for fairly cheap, and make interesting legacy decks good enough for Locals. It's how, IME, most people start. They start on Maverick or another affordable deck running an extra basic or two and adjusting the cards a bit. Then they are close enough to a full deck they get a bayou. Then they get a second dual their preferred type. Then they play DGA or something. Then they etc. etc. etc.

It's an evolution that allows you to buy in for a couple of years, learn the whole format, actually appreciate blue by the time you're willing to buy in, and honestly blue duals have been stuck at the same price (probably technically going down to inflation marginally) for years. I get that Legacy "costs a lot", but it's no different to money sitting in the bank doing nothing; except Legacy actually has the chance to pay you out. And honestly, my GF drives a $500 car that works fine. The difference between a $2500 car and $500 car is that one of them allows you to drop that other money on a legacy deck, and you vastly overpaid for the other.

The only reason it would be more volatile to get into is if people had their way and Wizards printed duals and whatnot like candy. I don't get how people can get Wasteland reprinted, port reprinted, lily reprinted, goyf reprinted, thoughtseize reprinted into oblivion, confidant reprinted a bunch, Force reprinted, have bargain basement creatures as good or better than Goyf (Gurmag, Delver, Pyro), have decks in legacy that run like.. 3 duals and some basics (Topless, UR Delver, etc..) alongside other competitive decks that don't require that (Merfolk, D&T, Burn) and say "But I can't have exactly what I want without minor hardships to either my deck or my life!"

That's life dude. That's literally what life is.
    /grumpy-old-man-rant
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

That begs the question of just what "iconic" means though. In the case of Juzam Djinn, why is that card iconic? Perhaps it's iconic to some, since his flavor and artwork are so perfect and he was (in some distant memories) a great beater. Is he iconic to me? My memory of this card is from owning it for the briefest of time periods during Ravnica when I pulled it at random from a lucky draw box. I couldn't understand why it was valuable, even then. Creatures from the standard at the time were better than it. When I found a dealer willing to purchase the card, I couldn't believe my luck. I traded him for a bunch of blue dual lands (since I wanted to get into Legacy).

I anticipate this set being an EDH special, but they'll have some cardboard thrown in there for us. Wizards might by turns claim not to care about Legacy and at times the support for the format is incredibly disappointing, at other times banning cards that didn't need it (Top, ahem, still salty about that) but they at least make an effort to ensure there's a card we'll want to buy in this stuff. Even targeted EDH products often have Legacy playables (or even staples, like Flusterstorm) in them.

A light emphasis on creatures probably means that we can except Grizzly Bears, Vizzerdrix and Hill Giant because there are hardly creatures more iconic than those. I bet this set will sell well.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Juzam is god.
    Tusk Up

So I guess the pre-release is this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Thread Information