Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: "Iconic Masters" on November 17th 2017

Nov 2006
    London

Re: "Iconic Masters" on November 17th 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Although I agree that reprints need to happen at some point, going overboard just pushes speculators into ABU/AN/AQ/LG/Saga/Destiny cards. Foil Grim Monolith at 1k-2k USD is just completely absurd and it will lead to the death of Legacy. Modern has its own problems, but at least it doesn't have the reserved list making the format succomb to speculators.
    Regular Grim Monoliths are $50. Death of Legacy?

The only reserved list cards that matter for Legacy are Duals and there are plenty of decks that don't play them.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

That ancestral visions art is gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Totally agree here. I'm happy that certain cards are being reprinted but this feels more like Eternal Masters II than Iconic Masters.

The fact that they couldn't print anything from the RL really made Iconic impossible to deliver on. In fact I think EMA was more iconic than this. It had:

Demonic Tutor
    Vampiric Tutor
    Necropotence
    Force of Will
    Wasteland
    Sinkhole
    Vindicate
    Winter Orb
    Jace TMS (one of the few new-bordered cards that I actually would consider "iconic", and you could even through Squadron Hawk, also in EMA, in there as the backbone of a notorious menace deck)
    Maze of Ith
    Natural Order
    Karakas

I mean I could go on and on with "iconic" cards in EMA. Kird Ape, Bolt, Mishra's Factory, Llanowar Elves, Hymn, Fact or Fiction... Those are historically important cards for the game at low rarities/values, in terms of how their power was discovered and impacted deck construction, and would be staples in any Standard format today...

Lorwyn art Thoughtseize was a nice touch but they should've just called this fanservice masters. It's great that there are reprints, I'm not complaining about that... I just feel like watching this reveal today has hammered home how many iconic cards are locked away on the RL. From power and duals to Academy and Survival. What a blight on the game.

Edit: And the fact that they STILL haven't reprinted Rishadan Port, which was the best/most played card in its expansion 20 years ago and remains stupid today, makes it all worse. I'd rather have had that than freaking Flusterstorm. It's Iconic Masters!
    Yea, good points.

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post

The only reserved list cards that matter for Legacy are Duals and there are plenty of decks that don't play them.
    Agreed. Not exactly like foil Monoliths are mandatory Legacy rites of passage.

And I would contend that legacy is still accessible even with the rising cost of duals. There are thousands and thousands of revised duals for sale on dozens of websites at any given moment. These cards are not scarce, people.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Pretty pleased to see Mishra's Bauble reprinted. Price should plummet. Been feeling bad, since I sold a foil one just before they spiked.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post

I stand corrected, as a foil-only player my perspective is skewed.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    And I would contend that legacy is still accessible even with the rising cost of duals. There are thousands and thousands of revised duals for sale on dozens of websites at any given moment. These cards are not scarce, people.
    What we should be talking about is all those Legends cards. If I can't play Dutch Stax then why even get out of bed
    4x Chains of Mephistopheles for everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

For being "iconic", the amount of uniconic filler garbage is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Yeah but it has to be "draftable"

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    this is actually a really good set. There is way more good than bad. When I say good i don't necessarily mean legacy good but relative for a draft. They will never make a set that is pure goodness.

I'd like to see an imperial seal / grim tutor in here, but i don't think those are "iconic"
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Full spoiler is available on mtgsalvation : http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/186-iconic-masters
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    Full spoiler is available on mtgsalvation : http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/186-iconic-masters
    if every set was like this than standard might be worth playing.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Wizards needs to stop printing Trumpet Blast for sets with $10 boosters.

...There's a huge change to how Blood Moon works:

Quote Originally Posted by IMA Release notes
    If a nonbasic land has an ability that applies "as [this land] enters the battlefield" or that causes it to enter the battlefield tapped or with counters, the land will lose that ability before it applies. This is a change from previous rules.
    If a nonbasic land has an ability that triggers "when" it enters the battlefield, it will lose that ability before it triggers.
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...tes-2017-09-11 Release notes with relevant change, for those interested.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    ...There's a huge change to how Blood Moon works:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...tes-2017-09-11 Release notes with relevant change, for those interested.
    Oh nice guess Depths got a slight buff while cavern and vesuva are a little worse off? Are there any other ETB lands that I missed?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I was really hoping Quirion Dryad would get reprinted as an uncommon. I was hoping to draft it and make a Miracle Grow deck in limited. It was iconic at one point, but got outclassed by Goyf and modern friends.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I was really hoping Quirion Dryad would get reprinted as an uncommon. I was hoping to draft it and make a Miracle Grow deck in limited. It was iconic at one point, but got outclassed by Goyf and modern friends.
    Threshold getting to replace Werebear and Mongoose with dramatically better creatures (Goyf/Angler/Delver) really is what pushed the format into all cantrip all the time land.

Nice options, now those are way better to play:

Soldevi Excavations
    Balduvian Trading Post
    Lotus Vale
    Scorched Ruins
    Lake of the Dead
    Kjeldoran Outpost

Boy, they jammed a disproportionate amount of Tarkir block cards in this set.

Thread Information