Thread: [SCD] Regal Caracal

[SCD] Regal Caracal

Regal Caracal
    Rare
    3WW
    Creature - Cat
    Other Cats you control get +1/+1 and Lifelink. When ~ comes into play, put two 1/1 Cat tokens onto the battlefield.

I'm mostly just posting this because I just did a fair bit of standard testing on MTGO. I was still putting stuff together and didn't want to pay the day 1 prices for Angel of Sanctions so I grabbed four of these to fill the slots.

Um, this is going to see a LOT of play in standard. Like, a LOT. I forced Vehicles, UW, and Temur Energy players to ragequit with this. It's a stupid good card for shutting down aggro and creature plans.

Mostly I just wanted to let everyone here who was excited to see a LORD OF TEH KITTEHS printed know that this thing is legit, and very, very strong.

Also, just like I remembered from back in the day, trying to play aggro in a format with Renewed Faith is a very losing proposition. So, if you want to see standard players cry about OP control strats, just wait a few weeks.

Re: [SCD] Regal Caracal

Standard is an interesting puzzle box right now. Vehicles and SaheeliCat are both great decks and nobody has found something with game against both. Heart of Kiran/ Toolcraft Exemplar/ Unlicensed Disintegration/ Scrapheap Scrounger/ Gideon is a strong core. Thing is, Ishkanah is better at slowing down that deck than Caracal is, and it isn't good enough, so I doubt Caracal is a Vehicles killer. Maybe a piece of the puzzle, but I'm not seeing it. Got a decklist?

Re: [SCD] Regal Caracal

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    Standard is an interesting puzzle box right now. Vehicles and SaheeliCat are both great decks and nobody has found something with game against both. Heart of Kiran/ Toolcraft Exemplar/ Unlicensed Disintegration/ Scrapheap Scrounger/ Gideon is a strong core. Thing is, Ishkanah is better at slowing down that deck than Caracal is, and it isn't good enough, so I doubt Caracal is a Vehicles killer. Maybe a piece of the puzzle, but I'm not seeing it. Got a decklist?
    It's more if you look at the card pool that was available in standard, it lacked in exile effects, card advantage, mana acceleration, and pure draw spells. By a lot. It's not really surprising then that the three colors that lack those things normally - Red, White, and Black, were the strongest, especially when paired with vehicles. There was also a large lack of lifelink in the format.

I think the Caracal goes into Saheeli Rai decks easily. It buffs and comboes with Felidar Cub, it's a great target for Rai herself - with two Caracals on the field, you have 20 power of ilfelink, it's nuts - heck, you could probably build CopyCat with Regal, Reservoir, and Sovereign to have an alt-como of "lifeing" someone out pretty easily. GW Tokens probably makes a comeback and runs Regal as well.

The biggest changes I'd say are you can now run Grafstone, so everyone has access to mana ramp, there is a LOT better removal now, and things like Cast Out, Angel of Sanctions and Never//Return provide answers to a lot of problems that didn't have them before. Of course, having a green shatter and a white disenchant that both have cycling means every GW deck runs 8 vehicle answers MD that are never dead. I think Cub gets a ban, but it's got a lot more playable hate facing it now than it used to.

Thread Information