Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You can erase 1 card from the game: which?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: You can erase 1 card from the game: which?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Not sure if it's necessarily a bad card but because I'm bad.....Daze. Every motherfucking time I breakthrough for 1 I immedietly feel like putting my head through the wall for being so greedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Delver of Secrets

for blatantly breaking the colour pie. TNN to a lesser extent, as it costs 3 and double U.
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    to really understand this you must understand why wizards makes / prints cards. They make cards generally because they are fun or fit a specific purpose. Fetchlands fall into the fit a specific purpose. It was NOT fun to get land screwed, thus, they printed fetchlands to provide consistency in deck building and alleviate the NOT fun aspect of land screw. Another caveat to this philosophy is their decision to NOT print UNFUN cards such as land destruction or stasis type cards. Out of ALL the cards that get reprinted these cards probably wont see a reprint because wizards views them and their strategy as UNFUN. With the exception of wasteland i cant recall any cards that would fall into this category that were printed in the last 10 years.

Also, without fetchlands, deck diversity would be dwarfed. A significant amount of decks would simply be unplayable without them.

TLDR: fetchlands were inevitable because wizards caters to casuals instead of competitive players.
    I hear what you are saying, but don't dismiss the fun that is lost wasting a big portion of the allotted time each round shuffling or watching your opponent shuffle. I feel like I am telling people to get off my lawn, but I think the game was more fun when designing the land base for decks wasn't full easymode. I think that landscrew should exist, as a factor that punishes decks that try to do too much. At this point, there is no sliding scale, any color combination you want is easy to build and incredibly consistent. Why do we even have colors?

Mental Misstep is probably the all time shittiest card design so if you're talking about being able to go back in time and make sure it never saw the light of day, that would be my choice.

For current Legacy legal cards, I'd probably vote for TNN. It's just such a poorly thought out card - three mana progenitus that is blue and is also a Merfolk. Gimme a break.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

For me it's easily Griselbrand. He's never going to be cast legit and any deck that cheats him in has like an 80%+ chance to win the second he hits the table. On top of that he ends up being a self-sustaining engine, and he doesn't even make you skip your draw step :v

Am pretty happy with the top ban, see no need to ban any other card in legacy atm.

Maybe its time they ubanned survival of the fittest, I don't think it would be easy to make it a faster or more resilient combo deck then the ones already in legacy, perhaps I am wrong but would like to see it happen :)

Site Contributor
    Sep 2011
    Middle of Somewhere, Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    True Name Nemesis.
    Fun, interactive combat.
    100% agreed. Down with the invincible fish!
    "The last top 8 slot went to the winner of that Death and Taxes mirror, or as I like to call it, the White Supremacy Mirror.
    "Swiggety Swagtusk, Here comes the Thragtusk!"

In response to "What's the best replacement for Force of Will?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Modern

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Delver of Secrets and the Planeswalker card type.

Also mythic rarity......
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Delver of Secrets, probably without question. Having blue get one of the best aggressive creatures ever printed is probably one of the stupidest things Wizards has ever done, if you ask me.

TNN is up there simply because of uninteractivity. If they made it like a 5/6 mana 6/2 or something like that it would be unplayable in Legacy, but still good/fun in the EDH precon it was made for. I really just hate these kinds of uninteractive cards, but Delver still takes the cake if I only had to pick one.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Also Delver. Because it's so damn good, and imposes pretty specific deckbuilding restrictions, it's essentially a single-card archetype.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Deathrite Shaman for sure... too powerful... too versatile... is 1/2... and casting cost just one hybrid mana - bad joke ....

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Vengevine
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I find it odd Tarmo, TNN and such are listed here. TNN is lame, agreed. But we all run evasion. Flying, Landwalk if we can get it, protection, trample.. it's a mainstay if it's available.

Goyf? There will always be a big beater and interestingly enough, TNN makes the Goyf alternatives, especially Tombstalker (which is from the same set!!) that much better.

I can agree on Delver to a point; but we'd still have 3/3 for 1 somewhere, and probably several of them. The fact is, combo speeds are so high and with all of the aggressive cards/hatebears, fair decks can keep up.

The card I'd get rid of..? I'd probably say Leovold because protecting your Hand, Lands, Deck, Creatures, and Lifetotal [burn] all while preventing draw in the colors that have been getting loads of love.. c'mon doo. That kind of design is so over-the-top lazy. Kira was annoying before Decay, but at least it didn't also protect the player, deck, hand, lands, etc.. Leovold could've at least been 3/2 for Pfire/Lavaman/Thalia/GobboGuide/EotGR, etc.. or 1/3 so his clock was abyssmal.

Instead they said "Hey, you know those colors we push so much for no apparent reason? Let's make a Kira that always works, and also protects your entire board and player state, costs the same basically, and one-way hoses blue! not pushed at all! Also, make it on an aggressive body bigger than 80% of the format, cost it at 3, and top it off with doing it to triggered and activated abilities!!?!??"

Fucking idiots. The format will be fine.. but that's *even worse* than TNN IMO. Not necessarily as format changing, but the design is abyssmal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Dual lands.

May 2015
    PDX

Counterbalance. It's all nice and wonderful that SDT ban killed miracles (long overdue), but make no mistake CB is simply trolling the card pool for the next enabler and we'll be right back to where we started: miracles eradicating every other control deck with strictly higher win %. The problem was mitigated, not solved.

Now sure, every Ice Age block set needs it's singleton that's part of the big blue card denial enchantments (Zur's Weirding, Tidal Control, CB) but CB lacked symmetry, life cost, and avoids trend of lowering cmc = culm. upkeep. Pretty much an across the board flavor failure on top of all the other issues.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Griselbrand.

There is literally not a single redeeming feature about the card.

- Small Children think the 7/7 flying/lifelink thing is good, but don't realise that paying 7 life for 7 cards is good.
    - Tournament players (I'm lumping us in this group) either love it or hate it, but the reason we do is the same: free wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

As a competitive player I'm voting for counterbalance for all the reasons listed. Nothing to add.

As a player of the game for 20+ years, a card that I'd exile from the game is Strip Mine. It's just such a feelbad to get even your basics destroyed (really wanted to type "wasted" there haha). Wasteland is perfect, good at what it does but not oppressive. Strip Mine, while hardly seeing competitive play, is as awesome as it is horrible.

On the grander scheme of things, the whole Homelands set should have been a Mulligan from WotC.

Just my $0.02

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Terminus.

Always thought it was the problem card in Miracles, and now is the object of my undying hatred since it got Sensei's Divining Top banned. (Top is a card I really enjoy playing in decks other than Miracles.)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I find it odd Tarmo, TNN and such are listed here. TNN is lame, agreed. But we all run evasion. Flying, Landwalk if we can get it, protection, trample.. it's a mainstay if it's available.

Goyf? There will always be a big beater and interestingly enough, TNN makes the Goyf alternatives, especially Tombstalker (which is from the same set!!) that much better.

I can agree on Delver to a point; but we'd still have 3/3 for 1 somewhere, and probably several of them. The fact is, combo speeds are so high and with all of the aggressive cards/hatebears, fair decks can keep up.

The card I'd get rid of..? I'd probably say Leovold because protecting your Hand, Lands, Deck, Creatures, and Lifetotal [burn] all while preventing draw in the colors that have been getting loads of love.. c'mon doo. That kind of design is so over-the-top lazy. Kira was annoying before Decay, but at least it didn't also protect the player, deck, hand, lands, etc.. Leovold could've at least been 3/2 for Pfire/Lavaman/Thalia/GobboGuide/EotGR, etc.. or 1/3 so his clock was abyssmal.

Instead they said "Hey, you know those colors we push so much for no apparent reason? Let's make a Kira that always works, and also protects your entire board and player state, costs the same basically, and one-way hoses blue! not pushed at all! Also, make it on an aggressive body bigger than 80% of the format, cost it at 3, and top it off with doing it to triggered and activated abilities!!?!??"

Fucking idiots. The format will be fine.. but that's *even worse* than TNN IMO. Not necessarily as format changing, but the design is abyssmal.
    I disagree with your argument about Goyf and True name. Goyf sucks because every two drop printed now is almost completely invalid because goyf exists. And True Name is miserable just because of how fucking dumb it is. It's the Griselchimp of fair decks. Allows complete chimpanzees to just ignore their opponent completely and just ravage people like the mongoloids that they are.

That said, leotard is just fucking miserable as well. The best chains variant ever printed, in blue, but not symmetrical, that also draws you cards. Seriously what the fucking shit. Fuck you wizards. Basically fuck this whole format at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Chalice of the Void. This is a fast format, so I was planning on playing with a low curve - fuck me, right? It's just too hard of a lock compared to the effort it takes to get it down T1.

Thread Information