Thread: WotC still not granting WPN Premium status to the MKM Series

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

WotC still not granting WPN Premium status to the MKM Series

MKM just released this statement:

The point behind their refusal to grant WPN Premium status is that MKM (EU's largest trading website who is running the series) does not have an actual brick & mortar store, which is a requirement for WPN Premium status. The series itself is organized by the largest German TO, JK Entertainment, whom MKM has tasked with running the events. JK Entertainment does have a store, MKM as a website does not. This means that because MKM Series Events do have Byes for trial winners, they can only be registered as "Casual" events granting just 1 PWP to each participant.

While there’s a lot of players who could really use the PWPs, this is an issue that goes beyond that: MKM is doing a ton for Magic as a brand in Europe, organizing Europe’s largest privately organized tournament series. They even found a way to make big Magic tournaments work in Germany, bringing tons of attention and players to the game. Last year’s MKM Frankfurt event had 400+ for Legacy and 600+ for Modern. This year preregistrations point towards 600-700 in both formats. Instead of supporting this amazing development, WotC has criticized that the series’ largest events are constantly Legacy+Modern instead of Standard and has thus far continued to withhold support.

I want to raise even more awarness for this in the community.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: WotC still not granting WPN Premium status to the MKM Series

The PWP system is weird in general.

3-3 at GP LOU: 136 points
    7-3 at EW 112
    6-3 at EW 96
    EW events are called "Championship" by WotC. You'd think they'd be worth more than an event held every weekend.

If the difference between sanctioning and no sanctioning is only one point, I'd say fuck it. Allow proxies and throw a bigger tournament.

Honest question: Are there that many legacy/vintage players who are really that concerned with PWP? The only purpose they serve for me is that if I consistently do well at the local /and/ I show up a lot, I might have enough for a single BYE in the once-a-year legacy GP that I may not attend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Honest question: Are there that many legacy/vintage players who are really that concerned with PWP? The only purpose they serve for me is that if I consistently do well at the local /and/ I show up a lot, I might have enough for a single BYE in the once-a-year legacy GP that I may not attend.
    The responses that you're going to get here are probably going to be biased but just from talking to primarily Legacy players most people honestly don't give a hoot. I do know a few people that absolutely refuse to play if proxies are involved though...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    The responses that you're going to get here are probably going to be biased but just from talking to primarily Legacy players most people honestly don't give a hoot. I do know a few people that absolutely refuse to play if proxies are involved though...
    I can say that if MKM were sanctioned I would have a bye for every GP next season.... Not that I am going to GPs but in some cases it might matter.
    Also for Modern players it can be important....
    Quote Originally Posted by MXG View Post
    Leovold because he is just gasoline. Look at the artwork. He knows it's over. He's offering your opponent the handshake.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    The PWP system is weird in general.

3-3 at GP LOU: 136 points
    7-3 at EW 112
    6-3 at EW 96
    EW events are called "Championship" by WotC. You'd think they'd be worth more than an event held every weekend.

If the difference between sanctioning and no sanctioning is only one point, I'd say fuck it. Allow proxies and throw a bigger tournament.

I'm guessing that EW events have a 4x multiplier? I think they do qualify as "WPN Premium" events, since Card Titan does operate a brick and mortar (albeit under a different name). SCG Tour events and PPTQs also have a 4x multiplier.

Grand Prix offer 8x, probably because they actually award Pro Points in addition to feeding into the Pro Tour. 4x is the largest multiplier allowed for events that aren't part of WOTC's official circuit:

4x - PPTQs, WPN Premium
    5x - WMCQs (Regionals)
    8x - RPTQs, GPs
    12x (lifetime only) - Pro Tours, World Magic Cup, World Championship

This makes some sense to me. The fact that they don't sanction the MKM series due to a loophole is certainly unacceptable. Interestingly enough, Eternal Extravaganza events are also only awarding a 1x multiplier. Not sure why that is; Tales does operate a brick and mortar.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I understand the reasoning for the difference in points. It just feels weird that doing relatively well at the "Championship" of my chosen format rewards less than doing relatively poorly at a GP of the same format. One is the "Championship" the other is... a really big PTQ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

bruizar

It's very understandable that WOTC gives privileges to brick and mortar stores. Those are the places where people first pick up and learn the game. It is to these stores that wizards owes its debt. Although I use MCM very frequently and recognize the value it brings to more competitive players, it does sidestep brick and mortar stores, unless they also list on the platform and compete with regular players who do not have to pay rent and other such overheads. All except two brick and mortar games stores I know have stopped selling singles because they cannot compete with the prices of regular players, and the two that still do operate on MCM as well. As for planeswalker points, no one really cares over here as long as price support is good and the tournament is well-run. Very strange to hear that WOTC criticizes you for running eternal events. Isn't BOM a WPN status tournament? They run oldschool and vintage in addition to the other formats...

WOTC gotta take every chance they can get to shoot themselves in the foot.

Thread Information