Thread: An Introspective look at Legacy, Miracles, and myself.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

An Introspective look at Legacy, Miracles, and myself.

Warning, Long winded, emotional, and poorly written =P
    https://minniehajj.wordpress.com/201...legacy-and-me/
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Re: An Introspective look at Legacy, Miracles, and myself.

I liked it, thanks.

I hope you eventually find some other deck or maybe format that you like.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Nice article, I especially liked the first part because it was so honest (although that is somewhat subjective :p). I'm not mourning the loss of Miracles and I actually very much look forward to the coming months to see how Legacy evolves. I can imagine though that it is rough to see such a great hobby being taken away from you, without much influence from the player's side. I hope for your sake and other Miracle players that you find a suitable replacement over time!

P.S. Did you have to mention Turbo Depths? I was planning on crushing some locals with that before people catch on to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Time to move on.

I've been playing Miracles even before GP:NJ, the very beginning when Lossett started streaming. Actually, that stupid 1 hour match when Lossett was playing against Nolan with Mike Flores commentating might be one of the earliest memory I have had about Miracles.

I still could not believe Schonegger posted Sneak and Show and then went to GP Paris with Miracles in its primitive form.

If you guys have been doing the same thing as I have had, for the past 4 years or so. This point in time is quite liberating, finally a new challenge.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I can empathise. If something was taken out of lands I would feel much the same way. But it had to end, something had to go. The deck had a fantastic run ending only when a choice to remove it was taken, because nothing else could contain it.

A banning is a moment of sadness and a mark of pride. External action taken because the issue in question is beyond the formats self regulating capacity. Few can stand at those hights, few can walk among those giants. While it must hurt to see this now, at least you can know the reasons are justified and the pride well earned.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 04-29-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Spelling... Of course.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Miracles was my first deck in Legacy. I spent a lot of time lurking the thread, and would just like to take this moment to thank you for your contributions. Really appreciate all the insightful posts in the Miracles thread, even if I wasn't running the same version. They all proved really helpful to a newbie.

Hopefully I find another UW control shell so my Tundras don't go to waste. :P Best of luck to you as well, hope you find another deck you enjoy playing.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

This was a very well written article.

Nice catch regarding Turbo Depths btw, I'd have missed it otherwise.

Well written article. Thanks a lot for your detailed and informative advice on the miracles thread for newbie miracles players like myself.

It is sad that I just bought the deck around 6 months ago and it had to go but well that's just how it is.

Dont take too long of a break now, you might just find the silver lining in all this, all the best!

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Well written!

I can't comment on part 1 and 2, because I am out of Legacy for too long. But I think the banning of Survival of the Fittest in 2010 was as tragic as the banning of SDT. I can feel with you. I've also put so many work and thoughts into Survival variants since 2005 and then they suddenly destroyed the archetype and my interest in Magic dwindled. Good luck for you.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptvale07

Around this time is when I really got into Magic, in the old extended format. Still my favorite format ever (Onslaught and 7th Edition forwards, all kinds of archetypes, lots that would look familiar to their Legacy counterparts today. CB-Top was annoying as shit in that format, and it has followed me for the last decade, as Extended rotated and rotated until it fell out of existence and I moved to Legacy.

As soon as I started playing Legacy, Balanced Threshold was one of the top dogs. CB-Tops everywhere again, and again, and again baby. It died down, I forget the wax and wane of the meta but CB-Top didn't become popular until Mental Misstep if I am correct, and even then it didn't really put up crazy numbers. There were betters things you could be doing than playing Goyf+CB-Top, namely just playing RUG or BUG.

And then Miracles came, and brought CB-Top so far my throat I was shitting CB-Tops every time I went to the bathroom. CB-Top was back in my life, and back with a vengeance, stronger than ever before. I thought Goyf+Confidants+CB-Top was bad (it is), but I coudn't imagine worse.

Now, after 10 years, CB-Top is FINALLY gone from my life. Rudeness removed. - zilla

I played Thresholds with Portents and Predicts back when Werebears were a thing. Later they implemented the CB-Top engine when Werebears were still a thing.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I know where you're coming from; what you described is a lot like how I felt when Gush was restricted in Vintage (the first time). As in all things, do what you need to do. Everyone's interest in Magic waxes and wanes, and we all need a break sometimes. The format will be here when you're ready to come back, and I don't think it will end up a linear dystopia in the meantime.

I'm going to be on Delver decks until things calm down, but I'm excited to finally get to play control without Counterbalance without knowing I'm doing something wrong for the first time in years.

Thread Information