Thread: Top 4 with Lands at Geneva Legacy 9 (mkm trial)

Top 4 with Lands at Geneva Legacy 9 (mkm trial)

Hi folks, today I just top4 (out of 73 players) with Lands at Geneva Legacy 9 (mkm series trial for Hambourg).
    It's one of the first "medium scaled" event after the ban of Sensei's Top, and I was expecting lot of diversity among the field.

I wake up at 8pm to let me have the time to prepare myself before I go. I was a bit tired because of my son (16 months) still wake up few times in the night, probably his tooth hurt him too much. But I getting used to. Arriving on time, I just met few friends with whom I playtets one time a week.
    We chatted a bit, criticism each other deck and then time start for the first round (7 swiss rounds + top 8).

Here is my decklist and my sideboard plan : https://cl.ly/kFkQ/LEGACY_GARDEN.txt
    Note : I didn't complete each MU and there are maybe some mistakes.

Round 1 vs UR Delver (2-1)
    So it started with a deck that I most forget about it. I won the game 1 with a quick Marit Lage. Game 2 started very well, I was establishing a very strong field control and completely forget about Price of Progress. Big mistake. Game 3 started as good as game 1 and I Marit Lage turn 4.
    Match 1-0

Round 2 vs Aggro Loam (2-1)
    My round 2 opponent is a good friend and I knew what he was playing. Game 1 he landed early a Sylvan Library and as he knew also my deck, he started to draw aggressively. But I was also Loaming mad and find quickly my Thespian+Depths combo. Game 2 I kept a poor hand and get overwhelmed by Ooze, Dark Confident and Knight of the Reliquary. Game 3 were a bit wired as my opponent didn't want to Loam+Wasteland-lock me while I didn't have Loam nor Exploration in the first turns. This mistake cost him the game as I naturally drew Life from the Loam and the combo piece few turn later.
    Match 2-0

Round 3 vs Show and Tell (2-1)
    Game 1, the only cards I saw from my opponent was a Lotus Petal and 2 Island before I was able to swing with Marit Lage. I wasn't sure what deck it was and identified it poorly as a kind of storm deck. So I side-out my Karakas and guess what, I shouldn't. So Game 2 was a very non-interactive game (got Emrakuled). Game 3 was very interesting. At one point, my opponent Show and Tell the 5/5 flying creature that exil a permanent when it comes into play. He targeted my Dark Depths. As I play only 2 Depths, it wasn't a good deal for me. So I opted to wasteland my own Depths, and the realized I got a Crop in hand. I should have cropped into Maze, sacrificing Depths. So I basically lose two lands instead of one. But I managed to finally swing with my old good friend, Marite Lage.
    Match 3-0

Round 4 vs Grixis Delver (1-1)
    So this is a bit disappointing as I won easily game 1 but hardly lose game 2 (last swing on last additional turns).
    As we didn't have time to make a 3th game, this is a draw.
    Match 3-0-1

Round 5 vs Eldrazi (2-1)
    Eldrazi is a jerk. Really I hate this deck. I somehow survived with Glacial Chasm in play and finished in the last additional turn with a single Marit Lage attack at 2 HP.
    Match 4-0-1

Round 6 vs Foodchain (2-0) <<--- YEAHHH First time 2-0ed in this tournament !!
    Game 1 was a real pleasure, I was able to Port his lands while dredging into Combo piece. A real pleasure.
    Game 2 was almost a "no-need-to-play" as I have literally 9 cards to side that cut completely the combo. So I ended with a big flying monster.
    Match 5-0-1

Round 7 : ID into top 8

At the end of Swiss-rounds, I was ranked #2 while my friends with Elves was ranked #1. What a good day !
    Top 8 was Eldrazi (the guy from round 5), Omni-Show, Infect, Opposition, BURG Delver, Elves (my friend), Burn and Lands (me).

Quarter final vs Burn (2-1)
    Burn is not my favorite MU. I managed to win the first game, and completely get burned in game 2.
    Game 3 was very very interesting. My opponent burned me several time, and I didn't really find anything to stop him.
    At one point, I have Crop in hand and a Thespian on board, but very low on HP. He then played a Sulfuric Vortex and a Bridge. I Crop into Chasm and tried to establish a Chasm shield but with all the stress and pressure from guy all around looking at your play, I didn't find the way to make the Chasm shield without loosing HP. So I was out of burn spell and just waited my opponent get killed by his own Sulfuric Vortex. That was cool !

Then the Top 4 remaining players just split.

About the deck
    I think only one Explosives is enough, and I really want to up the count of Thespian/Depths to a 4/3 split instead of 3/2 split.
    Vortex was insane the whole day but still miss few Punishing. Talaria West was a but overkill in this unknown meta, and Chasm was really really insane. It stole me several games !

About the tournament
    Very pleasant tournament with free drinks and home-made backeries !

Here is the metagame :

7 Storm
    6 Sneak and Show/Omnishow
    6 Bug delver
    5 Grixis delver
    5 Burn
    5 UR delver
    5 Control 4C
    4 Reanimator
    3 Eldrazi
    3 Food chain
    3 Death and taxes
    3 Elves
    2 Jund
    2 Charbelcher
    2 Dredge
    2 Zombie bombardment
    2 Infect
    2 Aggroloam
    1 Dark Bant
    1 Consistance
    1 BUG Opposition
    1 Moggcatcher blood moon
    1 Lands
    1 Grixis controle
    Last edited by kravkenov; 05-01-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

Re: Top 4 with Lands at Geneva Legacy 9 (mkm trial)

Thanks for the report and congrats on the performance!

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

congrats and thanx for the write-up.

would you alter your list to squeeze in the grove/punfire combo?
    also, would a one-of sheltered thicket be something you'd include?

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    Thanks for the report and congrats on the performance!
    Yeah thank you ! As it was my first "big tournament" Top 8, I was a bit nervous and made some misplay (mainly mistrigger), but overall this was great !

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    congrats and thanx for the write-up.

would you alter your list to squeeze in the grove/punfire combo?
    also, would a one-of sheltered thicket be something you'd include?
    Thank you !
    Vortex is clearly faster and more versatil than Punishing/Grove, but if you Dredge it away, well it's gone for good.
    On this aspect, a recurable way to deal with small creature is really wished. For my next tournament, I will probably play with a Vortex/Barbarian Ring configuration or a split between Vortex, Punishing and Grove.

About Sheltered Thicket, I'm not conviced, 2 Mana to cycle is huge.
    Last edited by kravkenov; 05-01-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

Thread Information