Thread: [Podcast] Lone Star Legacy – Episode 1: What does a Top-less world look like?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

[Podcast] Lone Star Legacy – Episode 1: What does a Top-less world look like?

Welcome to the first official episode of Lone Star Legacy! This is a cast featuring members of the Lone Star Lhurgoyf team chatting about Legacy and Vintage in Texas.

On this episode Stu Ziarnik (Stuart), Sam Craven (TheCrav), Ben Kendrick (benk499), and Mike O’Malley (ultrabadbob) discuss life after Miracles. We spend the first half of the talk introducing ourselves, looking at the Houston and Austin metas, and considering what the new power dynamics might look like. At around 27 minutes, Ben’s mic starts shitting out and the conversation spirals into the shitty Invocations, Baneslayer Angel, and decks from 2009 that won’t ever get played again.

Direct link is up on our website, and it should also be on iTunes.

Cheers!

P.S. For those of you who actually enjoyed this, our first 2 pilot episodes are also up on iTunes. Episode 0.1 features this same group doing a set review of Amonkhet. Episode 0.2 features some other Goyfs discussing the Top ban, then Sam, Ben, and Sean O'Brien (nedleeds) discussing the Gush and Probe restrictions.
    Last edited by Stuart; 07-04-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: broken hyperlink

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Podcast] Lone Star Legacy – Episode 1: What does a Top-less world look like?

Oh, something new to tune into while grinding away at getting my Imperial Clipper. Nice.

Edit:
    Trading a burrito for a Baneslayer Angel... Yea, you guys get the "We can shoot the shit" award. Will listen again. Just sad that you can talk about hightide without someone threatening ritual suicide... How does anyone get though that with a thought other than "If I slit my wrists this will end faster"?
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 05-18-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Re: [Podcast] Lone Star Legacy – Episode 1: What does a Top-less world look like?

Cheers Dice! Not sure who came out ahead on that trade, but I guess we both wound up with a tasty fattie.

And yeah as a reformed Spiral Tide player, I can confirm that the deck is miserable. Fortunately it probably still sucks even without CounterTop, so there shouldn't be a huge spike in suicidal thoughts amongst Eternal players.

Nov 2014
    Italy

I've enjoyed every second of it. 😂

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Thanks Spam! Hope we can keep it up moving forward.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Whoa 3 Texans and 1 pseudo Texan and no Texan accents?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Two of them are carpet bagging Yankees on top of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Yeah, there was some gross misrepresentation in the intros. Ben and I both grew up in Connecticut, and Mike's originally from Kansas. Sam's a native Texan, but he's cultured enough to not sound like one.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Don't be fooled by their proper English. I play with these guys, and I'm pretty sure at least half of them wear cowboy hats and ride horses to the LGS. One guy even had a tumbleweed instead of a spindown life counter.

In all seriousness, this is great stuff. Big fan of analysis at a local meta, as anything too broad tends to lack proper data to back it up and anything too specific isn't relevant to enough people. The job of dissecting the post-top ban meta is a daunting one, but I think with enough local meta reports like this we'll soon have a much better idea of what the big picture looks like.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I'm certain I said ya'll a large number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Sam's a native Texan, but he's cultured enough to not sound like one.
    The word of the day is "goan."

As in

Goan fuck yoursef.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

I probably said y'all a few times too and I'm a purebred yankee.

I still don't know why the north hasn't embraced it. We're an impatient people and it saves a syllable.

Nov 2014
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Thanks Spam! Hope we can keep it up moving forward.
    I hope you do. I think you guys have a great chemistry. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Sweet podcast! Halfway through, glad you guys are doing this.

You guys sound way too intense on the first hour. Have couple beers before you guys do the recording. It's much more enjoyable when you guys are relaxed at the end.

Saying "SFM decks are skill rewarding" is pretty much an insult to all other decks, as if other archetypes are not as skill intensive. If you think about all the de-generate things you can do in Legacy, after you have traded 1-for-1 via counter and bolt, the best thing you can do is resolving a SFM and putting an equipment into play, really?

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    You guys sound way too intense on the first hour. Have several beers before you guys do the recording. It's much more enjoyable when you guys are relaxed at the end.
    Had to make a small correction to that ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Saying "SFM decks are skill rewarding" is pretty much an insult to all other decks, as if other archetypes are not as skill intensive. If you think about all the de-generate things you can do in Legacy, after you have traded 1-for-1 via counter and bolt, the best thing you can do is resolving a SFM and putting an equipment into play, really?
    I think maybe you misunderstand us. I think Esperblade and Deathblade are "skill rewarding" in that every win and loss feels very much earned. When I herp+derp Griselbrand into play and kill you before your first untap step, I don't feel skilled. I feel powerful and like that card is fucking stupid but I don't feel skilled.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Thanks for the feedback, Patrunkenphat and Twndomn! I can see how we might have come across as a bit intense; except for Sam, we're all new to casting and probably a bit nervous. The tonal balance between organized topics and keeping it conversational can be a bit tough to achieve, but we're hoping that the vibe on the 2nd half is what we can land on.

On that note, we're hopefully recording Episode #2 this week, which will be Vintage-oriented.

Thread Information