Thread: Call to the Netherworld + Cleanup step

Reanimate on Phage
    Nov 2010
    Rockford, IL

Call to the Netherworld + Cleanup step

Here's a question regarding Call to the Netherworld and the discard step. Searching MTS and Google turned up no results for this particular interaction.

I've passed through the end step and entered the discard step. My hand contains eight cards, so must discard. A Street Wraith is in the grave. My intention is to discard Call to the Netherworld, exile it via madness, and play it for its madness cost. This is obviously possible. After this, I want to:

1) Cycle the Street Wraith, dredging back a card, and
    2) Discard that card as a result of the cleanup step starting over.

It's my understanding that the cleanup step starts over after all of the above abilities resolve, per rule 514.3 and 3a. I would want to discard that dredged card I just got back with Street Wraith when that cleanup step starts over and I discard down to a hand of seven. Is this a chain of events I can make happen?

Thanks! -RT

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Re: Call to the Netherworld + Cleanup step

Quote Originally Posted by RThomas- View Post
    Here's a question regarding Call to the Netherworld and the discard step. Searching MTS and Google turned up no results for this particular interaction.

I've passed through the end step and entered the discard step. My hand contains eight cards, so must discard. A Street Wraith is in the grave. My intention is to discard Call to the Netherworld, exile it via madness, and play it for its madness cost. This is obviously possible. After this, I want to:

1) Cycle the Street Wraith, dredging back a card, and
    2) Discard that card as a result of the cleanup step starting over.

It's my understanding that the cleanup step starts over after all of the above abilities resolve, per rule 514.3 and 3a. I would want to discard that dredged card I just got back with Street Wraith when that cleanup step starts over and I discard down to a hand of seven. Is this a chain of events I can make happen?

Thanks! -RT
    Here is a very similar situation that explain why this works the way you hope it does.

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulest...than-twilight/

Reanimate on Phage
    Nov 2010
    Rockford, IL

Re: Call to the Netherworld + Cleanup step

Perfect. Thanks Technics!

Thread Information