Thread: Considering buying a legacy-deck on MTGO

Dec 2011
    Norway

Considering buying a legacy-deck on MTGO

I've been playing Magic since 1995, but tried MTGO for the first time a few weeks ago. I love the concept of leagues and being able to play Magic whenever I want. I mostly just play legacy. So the question is: How good is MTGO for legacy? Do events consistently fire? Can I count on finding people to play against?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Re: Considering buying a legacy-deck on MTGO

The addition of leagues has been amazing, it made me buy back in. You can find a match within a few minutes usually, and being able to finish the leagues at your leasure is great. There's also usually plenty of people in the practice rooms. Of course there's the complaints of the client being bad and out of date (which isn't unwarranted), but otherwise Legacy on MTGO is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

I am in the same boat as you Vicar. But to add to Whitefaces point, there are now weekly Legacy challenges to play.

You can find prize structure, start times etc. on Wizard's website. http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/...mat-challenges
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I tap all 5 of my lands on my turn. He's like....OMG not Shriekmaw. I land Batterskull. He's like. Ok sure. LOL, not very often someone is more happy to see Batterskull then a Shriekmaw.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

That too! Forgot about the challenges being weekly. The EV for those is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

I was thinking about buying into mtgo for legacy too, but I am kind of coutious because I don't really like paying that much money on digital product (I would rather pay a monthley fee tbh).

Anyhow, when I was playing with the thought for the first time in 2016 my then legacy deck (Shardless BUG) was something like 1500-2000 Tix if I remember correctly, now most decks are like 500-700 Tix, was there some huge dip in prices or what happend here?

I am also afraid to buy in because of Magic Digital Next, there is no guarantee that all the cards will be invalidated with the switch is there?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I was thinking about buying into mtgo for legacy too, but I am kind of coutious because I don't really like paying that much money on digital product (I would rather pay a monthley fee tbh).

Anyhow, when I was playing with the thought for the first time in 2016 my then legacy deck (Shardless BUG) was something like 1500-2000 Tix if I remember correctly, now most decks are like 500-700 Tix, was there some huge dip in prices or what happend here?
    All the Modern Masters reprints and Vintage Masters too.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I am also afraid to buy in because of Magic Digital Next, there is no guarantee that all the cards will be invalidated with the switch is there?
    From what they said, MTGO will still be MTGO, only other products will also be made under the "Digital Next" umbrella.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    From what they said, MTGO will still be MTGO, only other products will also be made under the "Digital Next" umbrella.
    If this is true then seems like MTGO prices/collections wouldn't be affected too much, and if anything there would be increased demand which would drive prices up. (assuming its an improvement)

I've been considering buying into MTGO mainly for a place to play. It is really appealing having someone to play against when I want instead of when there's people at local shop and I drive there.

Thread Information