Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hour of Devastation [HOU]

Hour of Devastation [HOU]

French magic site screwed up so we get some early previews. Nothing too interesting for us but the wrath is kinda cool.

Last edited by supremePINEAPPLE; 06-01-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Hour of Devastation [HOU]

Both 'Walkers are probably Eternal and even Modern irrelevant.

That Black wrath though...I can actually imagine situations where that could be better than Toxic Deluge, especially in something like Vintage, where artifact mana is more plentiful.

EDIT: Hmm, someone else mentioned it, so I do wonder if there might be a cycle of "Last Reckonings" for each god.

How broken do you think something like this would be?

Kefnet's Last Reckoning
    Counter target spell. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap phase.

For Modern obviously.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Lol, I like that Bontu's Last Reckoning allows Bontu to attack.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Lol, I like that Bontu's Last Reckoning allows Bontu to attack.
    Oh snap, maybe that will be a theme with all of them.

Kefnet = Timetwister
    Rhonas = Overrun
    Oketra = tokens
    Hazoret = probably some terrible trash that requires discarding your entire hand for almost no payoff
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

That Black wrath though...I can actually imagine situations where that could be better than Toxic Deluge, especially in something like Vintage, where artifact mana is more plentiful.
    Obviously strong card is obviously strong. I think this wrath tends to be better than deluge if you're in topdeck mode.

Sometimes life totals do matter, you want more than 4 wrath effects, creatures are too big for deluge, or you're playing modern.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Obviously strong card is obviously strong. I think this wrath tends to be better than deluge if you're in topdeck mode.

Sometimes life totals do matter, you want more than 4 wrath effects, creatures are too big for deluge, or you're playing modern.
    It's defenitly worse than Deluge...

Double black compared to deluge makes it a lot harder to randomly include in the decks that use deluge already too. I like the design a lot but I don't expect to see it much at all in legacy.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It seems that Wizard's has learnt that wraths need to be both in Standard and playable. After all the recent shit that happened, that is a good sign for the direction of the game. Also I like it, lowering the cost to cast but effectively doubling the cost. That spell is in effect 6 mana at its lowest but you don't notice that at first. Good design.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Reckoning is... interesting.

The life total starts to matter when you need to cast more than one Wrath. BB makes it pretty restrictive, so it's not splash-able, but 3CMC is a big deal. F'ing pox sends it's regards... :p
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I like any delayed-cost mechanics like Pacts & Co.

I hope this is a cycle with more playable effects
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post

I don't know what I'd do with all my middle school nostalgia if echo ever came back. To this day, I'd be more excited to slam a Lightning Dragon or Winding Wurm than a Griselbrand.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

It seems that Wizard's has learnt that wraths need to be both in Standard and playable. After all the recent shit that happened, that is a good sign for the direction of the game. Also I like it, lowering the cost to cast but effectively doubling the cost. That spell is in effect 6 mana at its lowest but you don't notice that at first. Good design.
    unfortunately it doesn't answers Marvel :( (Let's keep playing legacy :) )

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    unfortunately it doesn't answers Marvel :( (Let's keep playing legacy :) )
    I have no idea what Marvel is, outside of a wonder creator of fantastic movies and comics.

On topic. I don't see this seeing a lot of play in Legacy. 3 mana is good, but the double B cost added on top of its true cost of 6 mana. It may see some fringe use but it's not taking over the format.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

3 mana unconditional wrath. Um.

This card is really, really good ya'll. Sure, it has a drawback. One you don't have to deal with right away. This puts a board wipe online in the early game that is not unplayable if you draw it late. You're trading tempo for an early effect. The Suspend mechanic showed us how powerful this can be, in a very general sense.

Imagine you're a control deck. A three mana all-wrath is amazing. Stops you from dying to Elves and Eldrazi equally. Then, if you have it late game, you can still leave up whatever mana was not used to cast it for countering. It does not tap all your land, it just stops whatever you did use from untapping.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    It's defenitly worse than Deluge...
    No sir. Deluge is great, but if you draw it when you really need a wrath to save your life, you'll often run into times where you cannot cast it because it'll kill you. This bad boy never has that problem. You can literally ALWAYS pay tempo in exchange for a 2-for-1 (or better!) if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Double black compared to deluge makes it a lot harder to randomly include in the decks that use deluge already too. I like the design a lot but I don't expect to see it much at all in legacy.
    Yes, this is fair. Card still is rock hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post

The blue one is Savor the Moment.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I guess I don't see the point in a 3 mana Wrath where you spend the next turn handicapped too badly to maintain the tempo swing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    No sir. Deluge is great, but if you draw it when you really need a wrath to save your life, you'll often run into times where you cannot cast it because it'll kill you. This bad boy never has that problem. You can literally ALWAYS pay tempo in exchange for a 2-for-1 (or better!) if you have to.
    Sure, but it always* has a different problem. Where Deluge can be 1-sided a lot of times by having better Toughness, this always costs your own boardstate and usually costs you a turn of *maybe* having counterspell mana open. And BB is a non-trivial extra.

Deluge is sometimes lame, but that's black for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I mean this feels like the kind of wrath effect that any aggro deck which can also draw cards would just laugh off as it casually reloads, replays some threats and basically gets pseudo haste from since your next turn isfonna be like land-go

Like this is a weird comparison but if Goblins were still a thing this new wrath would lose you the game as a Ringleader just roflstomps your attempt at tempo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Oh snap, maybe that will be a theme with all of them.

Kefnet = Timetwister
    Rhonas = Overrun
    Oketra = tokens
    Hazoret = probably some terrible trash that requires discarding your entire hand for almost no payoff
    Wonder how much the twister would cost to not be unplayable or broken.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Wheel or twister at 4 are fine. Diminishing return already exist.

Bontu's reckoning is decent but deluge is better in too many cases, life total matter less than losing a whole turn of tempo in like 90% of cases in legacy, then add the fact that deluge can be asymmetric and it's easier to cast. Unless burn become a significant part of the metagame, and even then, losing a turn of tempo is deceptively backbreaking a lot of times.

It could also be some kind of a Through the Breach / Sneak Attack type effect that allows you to at least partially empty your hand.

Thread Information