Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hour of Devastation [HOU]

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Hour of Devastation [HOU]

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I guess I don't see the point in a 3 mana Wrath where you spend the next turn handicapped too badly to maintain the tempo swing
    THIS, all day long. Even Pox players can play, you know, POX, and get a lot more for one card.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Wheel or twister at 4 are fine. Diminishing return already exist.

Bontu's reckoning is decent but deluge is better in too many cases, life total matter less than losing a whole turn of tempo in like 90% of cases in legacy, then add the fact that deluge can be asymmetric and it's easier to cast. Unless burn become a significant part of the metagame, and even then, losing a turn of tempo is deceptively backbreaking a lot of times.
    Yeah but at 4 it's probably not a playable effect
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2013
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I have no idea what Marvel is, outside of a wonder creator of fantastic movies and comics.
    Just in case you really don't know and feel the desire to change that:
    It's proclaimed the strongest standard deck atm, designed to spin Aetherworks Marvel to slam some Ulamogs (with cast trigger) from turn 4 upwards.
    It took the place of the Saheeli+Felidar Guardian deck post ban as the defining combo deck of the format. The rest of the deck is 3-5 color goodstuff and energy producers.
    It works reasonably well but people really don't like the RNG aspect of it.

On topic: for a character whose defining trait is speed and whose combat style is associated with dancing, Samut sure is super clumsy.
    I actually checked the collector number to make sure she isn't the PW Deck version...
    Current Legacy Decks: Elves, 12Post, Eldrazi Stompy, Burn, Reanimator, Death&Taxes

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphnir View Post
    Just in case you really don't know and feel the desire to change that:
    It's proclaimed the strongest standard deck atm, designed to spin Aetherworks Marvel to slam some Ulamogs (with cast trigger) from turn 4 upwards.
    It took the place of the Saheeli+Felidar Guardian deck post ban as the defining combo deck of the format. The rest of the deck is 3-5 color goodstuff and energy producers.
    It works reasonably well but people really don't like the RNG aspect of it.

On topic: for a character whose defining trait is speed and whose combat style is associated with dancing, Samut sure is super clumsy.
    I actually checked the collector number to make sure she isn't the PW Deck version...
    I looked yesterday and Marvel is almost 40% of the standard meta apparently
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I looked yesterday and Marvel is almost 40% of the standard meta apparently
    They really need standard sets again. A needle effect (new or old) would give decks an adequate hoser to both this AND the banned strategy (saheeli cats) and badda-bing; things are interesting maybe?

I really think that's about their only issue in standard. They don't want people to have answers that were readily available to standard formats before. Even when Bolt got nerfed, Shock was evergreen. Black always had a good, 2 mana, instant speed removal. White always had a 4-5 mana sweeper. And answers that were less flavorful could be stuck in the standard set. I can understand the tension of escalating boardstates, but then effects like this become difference-makers. Hell, even just putting Bind in would be great, and probably good for modern too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    It seems that Wizard's has learnt that wraths need to be both in Standard and playable. After all the recent shit that happened, that is a good sign for the direction of the game. Also I like it, lowering the cost to cast but effectively doubling the cost. That spell is in effect 6 mana at its lowest but you don't notice that at first. Good design.
    It may also be a preview to a non-keyworded mechanic, as it's basically exert for your lands.

I think the Wrath is playable, especially in control decks that utilize mana rocks (UB Tezz). A turn 4 board wipe is often too slow now. Doesn't force your life total low like multiple Deluges. And you can T3 Bontu, T4 drop a land and have 1 mana interaction.

I think it's harsh but playable. The 'exert your lands' design is very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I think the Wrath is playable, especially in control decks that utilize mana rocks (UB Tezz). A turn 4 board wipe is often too slow now. Doesn't force your life total low like multiple Deluges. And you can T3 Bontu, T4 drop a land and have 1 mana interaction.

I think it's harsh but playable. The 'exert your lands' design is very interesting.
    It would be cool if it were like give -2 -2 or "exert your lands" destroy all creatures instead

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    It would be cool if it were like give -2 -2 or "exert your lands" destroy all creatures instead
    Something else interesting about it is that this is the second black wrath (Yahenni's Expertise gives -3/-3) in a couple sets. Sounds like they're accepting that (with downsides) as more of a thing again. IIRC they strayed from that for awhile since it's more of a white characteristic. I could be way off
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

If they go back to cheaper Wraths, can we please go back to quality 1-drop mana dorks as well? I really miss them.

It's still funny how all of their recent design decisions backfired hard and now they're backpedaling everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    No sir. Deluge is great, but if you draw it when you really need a wrath to save your life, you'll often run into times where you cannot cast it because it'll kill you. This bad boy never has that problem. You can literally ALWAYS pay tempo in exchange for a 2-for-1 (or better!) if you have to.
    Oh gosh, people freaking out in spoiler season again... What I read in this threat of what will take over legacy is so funny^^

Wann take a bet on this? Seems totally great when you play this on t3 and get time walked while your opponent rebuilds his board

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If they go back to cheaper Wraths, can we please go back to quality 1-drop mana dorks as well? I really miss them.
    What?

We have Hierarch & DRS. I think we are okay for 1-drop mana dorks.

Meanwhile, ~25 years into the game we can't get a discount on Wrath without a serious drawback. WotC sure love creatures.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Meanwhile, ~25 years into the game we can't get a discount on Wrath without a serious drawback.
    *cough* Terminus *cough*

*cough* Terminus *cough*
    That's not a wrath, that's a broken-ass interaction with the top of your deck. Plus, it tucks your DRS to bed.

*cough* Terminus *cough*
    In a post-SDT environment, it has yet to be established that the restrictive alt-cost condition is not a significant draw-back.

@Darkenslight, I feel we should at least wait for Terminus to prove itself competitively viable before we start thowing around terms lime "broken".
    Last edited by Crimhead; 06-03-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

This "Bontu's Damnation" will see play somewhere, but its likely not in legacy unless its in Pox, which, lets face it, isn't really on the map right now. Sure its fast, but do you really want to spend six mana on it? Early, its a time walk for your opponent. Late, its only better than Deluge/Damnation if you play Sword of Feast and Famine or if your life is really low, and even then, its still just a wrath effect that Damnation would have been equal to at that stage of the game anyway. Its decent for modern 8Rack. Thats where ill play it, anyway.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Its decent for modern 8Rack. Thats where ill play it, anyway.
    You think?
    Against any opponent going wide, Flaying Tendrils is better (exiles, dodges anti-black, AND let's you untap).

I think this card will see Standard play because of a lack of alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    3 mana unconditional wrath. Um.

This card is really, really good ya'll.
    No its not.

Other formats have superior sweepers such as deluge and damnation, meaning this card will (might) see play in standard, where sweltering suns is a stronger option, hitting 95% (99%?) of the creatures Bontu's does in the early game, without timewalking yourself and offering cycling as additional benefit.

Looking at the standard metagame, this card is bad against Mardu vehicles (heart of kiran and gideon will have a laugh at you), bad against temur energy (swipe board on T3, watch them play their bristling hydra, get timewalked), blue red control (not enough creatures), you want to board it out against temur marvel... standard decks generally have 0-3 creatures with thoughness > 4, so if you can do RR and want a sweeper, you want sweltering suns over Bontu's all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Tezzeret decks don't play 1 mana interaction. You know, since they run 4 chalices and all that.

The new wrath looks good, In my opinion its power level is close to deluge and damnation.

Thread Information