Thread: Thought Experiment

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Thought Experiment

So this idea came to me when I finally got around to updating my Vintage Wheels deck after the Gitaxian Probe restriction.

I was wondering how much of a favorite I would be at GP Vegas if I were allowed to play this deck, when everyone else was preparing for the Legacy GP as if it were a normal GP.

Basically I'm just curious about the following: Someone comes up to you and says "Hey, you can play in the Legacy Main event and you are allowed to use the Vintage B&R list, but you have to win the entire thing or insert whatever bad scenario you choose happens to you. (I figured the pure Vintage BR would be better than a weird hybrid combo BR where probe/brainstorm/ponder unrestricted since it would keep your deck full vintage).

What Vintage deck would perform best for the Legacy meta? What do you decide to play and why?
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Thought Experiment

Either Dredge of Shops, I guess. Legacy doesn't have enough hate for either.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Either Dredge of Shops, I guess. Legacy doesn't have enough hate for either.
    Probably true. Both are broken as fuck I'm just curious if they would be the best choice to have to go 13-2 (or better) to make top 8. My initial thought was something like TPS or some storm/gush deck that supports forces. Mainly because I could see both decks getting randomly screwed by non-blue variance or even not be able to race a t1 delver once or get stomped by a skilled Ant pilot

Although Vintage dredge knowing it only has to really prep for deathrites and surgicals as the hate would probably be laughable
    Strawberry Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Oath is probably best since it would have less chance to die to oops all cheese and other t0 wins. I'd personally play 4 top predict miracles just to trigger legacy players PTSD

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by contra View Post
    Oath is probably best since it would have less chance to die to oops all cheese and other t0 wins. I'd personally play 4 top predict miracles just to trigger legacy players PTSD
    Nah, just play Dredge with Forces and Missteps.

1st - Daniel Gómez Blanco - Fowchorid
    Maindeck:
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    4 Petrified Field
    1 Riftstone Portal
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    3 Golgari Thug
    4 Ichorid
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    1 Vengeful Pharaoh
    4 Bridge from Below
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Dread Return
    4 Force of Will
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Serum Powder
    Sideboard:
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    2 Vampire Hexmage
    You'd probably be about 90% versus the field.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I am biased as all fuck, but likely Shops. There are few decks that can match Shops once the spheres start locking the game down.

If you told me I had to play a deck though and where not threatening me with something terrible, I would likely play Kevin Cron's Paradoxical Storm. Mentor, Paradoxical Outcome and Force backed up with Mental Misstep. I think that could hold its own in Legacy without much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I have built that before, it's very boring to play.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    nah, gy hate is just as strong in legacy as vintage, and maybe even more prominent.

Mar 2013

nah, gy hate is just as strong in legacy as vintage, and maybe even more prominent.
    No, it's not. In Vintage it's common to start at 6 pieces of grave hate and move up from there. Vintage Dredge, expescially with the Dark Depths transformational sideboard, would be outrageously broken in Legacy.

May 2015
    Philadelphia

No, it's not. In Vintage it's common to start at 6 pieces of grave hate and move up from there. Vintage Dredge, expescially with the Dark Depths transformational sideboard, would be outrageously broken in Legacy.
    no doubt it'd be broken, but legacy has the same gy hate available as vintage. Leyline hits just as hard coming from 1.5 as it does from vintage.

Mar 2013

no doubt it'd be broken, but legacy has the same gy hate available as vintage. Leyline hits just as hard coming from 1.5 as it does from vintage.
    I agree that the access is the same, but the penetration is not. I can sit down across from someone in Vintage and expect that their sideboard has 10 cards set aside for Shops/Dredge and then the rest. They will have hate for Dredge. Everyone will.

Legacy, you have the same access to cards, but the amount of cards you would expect to face will be significantly lower. Sure, Leyline exists, but I would be suprised if 1 deck in 15 has a playset in their 75 in Legacy. Would would be suprised if that number is lower than 1 in 4 in Vintage.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

I don't think Dredge or Shops would even drop a game in a legacy event.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

2-3 pieces of interaction is not enough to beat dredge.

What's Squee for in that Dredge list?

I guess you have never seen what a turn 1 Bazaar does.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    I don't think Dredge or Shops would even drop a game in a legacy event.
    That was my initial thought as well, but when I started thinking about it more I'm not entirely sure how well either could handle Show and Chimp. Mainly because yea dredge is impossible to interact with, but every turn 1 is still only laying down a bazaar and passing. That's why I guessed that a more traditional "broken" deck that was playing discard and fow like a tendrils list might work best in a purely legacy tourney.
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    That was my initial thought as well, but when I started thinking about it more I'm not entirely sure how well either could handle Show and Chimp. Mainly because yea dredge is impossible to interact with, but every turn 1 is still only laying down a bazaar and passing. That's why I guessed that a more traditional "broken" deck that was playing discard and fow like a tendrils list might work best in a purely legacy tourney.
    Yeah but you could run a build that runs unmask maindeck and have turn one interaction

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    Yeah but you could run a build that runs unmask maindeck and have turn one interaction
    Dredge actually has a ton of free slots that they can use to tune what they want to be best against. Unmask, Force of Will, Mental Misstep, and Leyline of the Void are all played in various lists (some maindeck, some sideboard).

I'd probably play dredge, but I'd be sorely tempted to run Burning Oath. I'm a sucker for Yawgmoth's Will. While not a current tier 1 deck, I think it's actually better suited to the metagame than something like a DPS without probe or Paradoxical Storm. For that matter, I don't know many decks that can reliably beat a handful of tutors, Oath of Druids, 4 Forbidden Orchard, and Forces/Thoughtseizes/Missteps. The highest win percentage would probably be something that minimizes the likelihood of dropping games to a stray belcher deck.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Thread Information