Thread: GP: Vegas Meta Discussion Thread

GP: Vegas Meta Discussion Thread

I'm interested in discussing what the meta will possibly look like in Vegas based on the limited info post-top ban, and I dont see a thread for it. What could possible counters to that meta? Other thoughts and input welcome as well.

What do you think the best deck choice is?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Re: GP: Vegas Meta Discussion Thread

It's probably going to be very hard to tell since people tend to bring their pet decks especially in a format like Legacy. I don't really know how you metagame against such a large undetermined field like that other than play a deck that has roughly 50% matchups all around (Grixis Delver). I think that the big 3 will be D&T, Delver (Grixis > BUG > The others) and S&T decks. Imo the the "breakout" of the tournament will be bant stoneblade much like depths was during the last eternal weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I hope miracles wins again
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    That's Predictable. If it didn't, it would be Unexpectedly Absent.

So if you had to pick between BR Reanimator, DnT and SnS with your beliefs, what would you choose, and why?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Now that would be as hilarious as it would be horrifying. And given how Miracles is creeping back into the metagame on MTGO, it isn't even that unrealistic.

Although it becomes signficantly harder to pinpoint a bannable card now (like they would ever ban the bullshit cantrips ), considering some decks even drop down the number of Terminus in favor of more spot removal.

Miracles could definitely be the dark horse of the tournament since most people expect it to be gone for good unless they've paid attention to the recent MTGO metagame developments.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I'm trying to gauge how many copies of Blood Moon I'll be running into, especially as I don't have any byes. Also worth considering what decks port from Modern to Legacy, IE BGx Midrange, Eldrazi, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Probably quite a few. In a Delver heavy meta with many SnS players, DnT is bound to see moderate play. These indicators mean a couple things:

SnS play 1-3 blood moon, its a way to deal with Karakas and mana denial from DnT.

The irony here is that many DnT players are running some number of moon effects themselves in the form of magus, allowing them occasional free wins against the bug lists.

The stompy deck that currently seems to be relevant is Dragon Stompy, and they play an average of 7 moon effects.

Some burn lists also play moon out of the board, but I am pretty sure its not stock.

However, open metas are also up to the luck of the draw, especially with no byes.

This is how I see it, anyway.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Playing Elves as it's the only thing I feel comfortable playing seeing as I only get to play magic every couple months now.
    Expecting to get demolished by ANT and BR Reanimator and drop at 2-3.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

How is the sneak and Show matchup for elves?

I would expect Grixis Delver to be the most played deck. Also a ton of S&S and D&t, BUG+UR Delver

further BR Reanimator, Mono-R stompy, Stonblade

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I would expect Grixis Delver to be the most played deck.
    The person who won an Eternal Extravaganza satellite tournament posted this on reddit today, giving some support to what you said.

I played vs 4C Deathblade, Edlrazi, BUG Value, BUG Delver, and 5 Grixis Delver Mirrors!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The person who won an Eternal Extravaganza satellite tournament posted this on reddit today, giving some support to what you said.
    Time to sleeve up 8moon.dec

This is the top 8 of best decks in Legacy, in no particular order.

Grixis, Elves, Show and Tell, Death and Taxes, Topless Miracles, Storm, BUG Delver, Lands

I HAVE SPOKEN

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Burn with 3-4 Mindbreak Traps and 3-4 Bridge in the board seems like it'd be super good.

Though I'll probably just say fuck it and play MUD.

Never thought of mindbreak trap. I like burn also in this Delver-heavy, combocentric meta. Awkwardly loses to leyline of sanctity, but otherwise it seems pretty above average, depending on the pilot.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Never thought of mindbreak trap. I like burn also in this Delver-heavy, combocentric meta. Awkwardly loses to leyline of sanctity, but otherwise it seems pretty above average, depending on the pilot
    I've seen a Burn list on stream yesterday splashing white for Containment Priest and Karakas, presumably post-board. It also ran Harsh Mentor somewhere in its 75.

I can imagine that a well-built Hate Burn deck is pretty scary. What are Burn's bad match-ups?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    What are Burn's bad match-ups?
    Combo decks, Enchantress, anything with actual hosers (CoP: Red, Chill), mulligans/variance.

Against combo, game 1 is often lost, but your sideboard options are...strong. Mind break trap, ensnaring bridge, surgical. There's options, for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thread Information