Thread: Modular commander?

Modular commander?

What would you use for a modular commander?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: Modular commander?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebreaker7 View Post
    What would you use for a modular commander?
    Atraxa, Praetor's Voice seems like a solid choice since she interacts favorably with all of your counters.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I distantly recall Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter being one of the preferred targets since it kind of has pseudo-Modular and it isn't one of those commanders that impels you to end up just putting together GoodStuff.dec like other sac outlet commanders like Ghave, or basically any Junk/Abzan colored commander like Karador etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I could see this!

Sac the artifact creature with Modular to Vish Kal, who will gain +1/+1 counters equal to creature's power, then place the Modular counters on another artifact creature.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I distantly recall Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter being one of the preferred targets since it kind of has pseudo-Modular and it isn't one of those commanders that impels you to end up just putting together GoodStuff.dec like other sac outlet commanders like Ghave, or basically any Junk/Abzan colored commander like Karador etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I could see this!

Sac the artifact creature with Modular to Vish Kal, who will gain +1/+1 counters equal to creature's power, then place the Modular counters on another artifact creature.

Wouldn't you just put Vish Kal in your Atraxa deck, though? Then you end up with all of the green and blue +1/+1 counters matter cards like Doubling Season and friends. I mean, Vish Kal does seem good for this theme, but sticking blue and green in there gives you so many more tools to blast the archetype wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Wouldn't you just put Vish Kal in your Atraxa deck, though? Then you end up with all of the green and blue +1/+1 counters matter cards like Doubling Season and friends. I mean, Vish Kal does seem good for this theme, but sticking blue and green in there gives you so many more tools to blast the archetype wide open.
    I think his point is that by building an Atraxa deck, if you're looking to optimize it, it will naturally pull you in a less interesting direction filled with goodstuff cards in those colors. Whereas by using Vish Kal, you get a more interesting deck because you've limited your options and are building with a more confined gameplan.
    Legacy: Aggro Loam, Sneak & Show
    EDH: Godo, Bandit Warlord (Duel), The Gitrog Monster
    Legacy WIP: Mono-Green Food Chain, Parfait

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Honestly, while there isn't much synergy with the +1/+1 counters, I'd be inclined to just use Bosh, Iron Golem mainly on flavor alone. At least he is a ready sac outlet.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by deakmana View Post
    I think his point is that by building an Atraxa deck, if you're looking to optimize it, it will naturally pull you in a less interesting direction filled with goodstuff cards in those colors. Whereas by using Vish Kal, you get a more interesting deck because you've limited your options and are building with a more confined gameplan.
    Yeah, this is a big part of it. Also Vish Kal is tech just because it's more prone to doing quick kills if you really needed to, as you can do dumb stuff like sac a series of Modular guys that inherit each others' counters and suddenly have a giant Vish and some other large artifact guy (or a few fairly large artifact guys, depending on what you're doing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information