https://www.truity.com/test/big-five-personality-test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fi...onality_traits

The Big Five personality traits, also known as the five factor model (FFM), is a model based on common language descriptors of personality. When factor analysis (a statistical technique) is applied to personality survey data, some words used to describe aspects of personality are often applied to the same person. For example, someone described as "conscientious" is more likely to be described as "always prepared" rather than "messy". This widely examined theory suggests five broad dimensions used by some psychologists to describe the human personality and psyche. The five factors have been defined as openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism, often listed under the acronyms OCEAN or CANOE. Beneath each proposed global factor, a number of correlated and more specific primary factors are claimed. For example, extraversion is said to include such related qualities as gregariousness, assertiveness, excitement seeking, warmth, activity, and positive emotions.

That these factors can be found is consistent with the lexical hypothesis: firstly that those personality characteristics that are most important in peoples' lives will eventually become a part of their language; secondly that more important personality characteristics are more likely to be encoded into language as a single word.

My guess is that Legacy players are going to be fairly high in trait openness, conscientiousness, and extroversion; medium-to-high in neuroticism, and medium-to-low in agreeableness. My rationale:

1) Openness: This will be selected for by being limited to Legacy players who *also* happen to be posting on The Source, which would likely mean that these are the more creative bunch of the community -- people who are willing to tweak existing deck archetypes and create new lists. I think MtG players in general are a fairly creative bunch, as that aspect of the game is what makes it appealing.

2) Conscientiousness: given that decks cost thousands of $USD$, it's likely that players have their lives fairly well put together, at least relative to the whole population. This isn't a hobby that is so easy to pick up on a whim. Legacy players also tend to pay more attention to their personal hygiene and physical fitness compared to the players you'd find at a stereotypical Modern/Standard tournament.

3) Extroversion: Legacy players tend to be friendly and community-oriented, and generally tend to be fairly outgoing. At least it seems that way to a greater degree than other gaming hobbies.

4) Neuroticism: Just guessing here.

5) Agreeableness: We are a competitive bunch. Legacy attracts a crowd that tends to not be as interested in the group-hug dynamics of EDH games, and instead rewards tight play and strategic choices. We respect the boundaries enforced by the rules, but are interested in winning as much as possible.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and comments.