Thread: [Austria, Rheintal] Legacy tournaments #3 - 06.04.2017

Jun 2016
    Switzerland

[Austria, Rheintal] Legacy tournaments #3 - 06.04.2017

5 rounds Swiss into Top 8 (Top 8 are played out)

Pretty stock Shardless list (22 Lands (3 Wastelands, 1 Tarpit), 1 Deluge, 1 Pulse, 2 Lilianas, 1 Jace, 3 Visions, 3 Hymn, 3 FoW)
    Sideboard (4 LotV, 2 Push, 2 Thoughtseize, 1 Deluge, 1 Charm, 1 Plague, 1 Null Rod, 1 Needle, 1 Loam, 1 Cage)

Match 1: Adrian with Grixis Delver
    (0-1) G1: T3 Angler and 1 Wasteland sealed the deal really fast. Never saw Strix, Liliana or Goyf.
    (1-1) G2: Hymn hits very well and then Shardless does what it does.
    (1-2) G3: My hand was like 4 Lands, 2 Shardless, 1 Brainstorm and then T1 i get hit by Probe/Cabal for Shardless. Never recovered from this. I was sure i would win this one...

(0-1-0) Ok, next.

Match 2: Lukas with Big Eldrazi
    (1-0) G1: T1 Chalice bites me a little bit but i drew all of my 3 Wastelands which is the killer.
    (2-0) G2: T1 Vision, T2 Hymn (get's All is Dust and Wurmcoil), T3 Tarmogoyf, DRS and all the time FoW up.

(1-1-0) I was really lucky this time. It's a bad matchup for sure.

Match 3: ANT
    (1-0) G1: My opponent plays discards on T1, T2 and T4 but hasn't anymore for the turn before my lethal damage and i can hide a FoW in the right moment with Brainstorm.
    (2-0) G2: My hand is like 2 Lands, Null Rod, Cage, Liliana, Hymn, DRS and my opponent has only 1 discard in the first 3 turns.

(2-1-0) Again really lucky.

Match 4: Vinz with Grixis Delver
    (0-1) G1: Same as G1 in Match 1, fast Angler closes out to fast.
    (1-1) G2: Double Shardless over some turns paired with Liliana.
    (2-1) G3: Interesting game where at one point my opponent has 4 lands and 2 hand cards and me 5 lands and 2 hand cards and nothing on board (guess on which side you wanna be). It's my turn and i draw Hymn and can discard his second Angler and play Tarpit.

(3-1-0) This is what this deck makes it so nice. The opponent get's sometimes punished for flooding the board and if he plays defensive, Hymn get's him.

Match 5: Maverick
    (1-0) G1: At one point i can Deluge for 3 creatures on opponents side but he draws creature after creature.
    (2-0) G2: My hand can slam a T2 Liliana and is robust with enough lands. But again, creature after creature comes out and i can't handle everybody.

Overall my matchup statistic against Maverick is really bad and i don't really get it (my sideboard is well suited for this).

(3-2-0) Nevertheless i'm into Top 8.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Match 6: Same guy as Match 5 Maverick
    (0-1) G1: After a 1 Land hand with double DRS OTP my library decides to not give my anymore...
    (0-2) G2: Same as G1 but with a major mistake from my side (I had Lilana in play, Goyf and Decay on hand and didn't tick up). I was already mana short and should have seen that i would never cast anything that helps me more than Liliana tick up. I didn't read the situation right and get punished for this.

(0-1-0) The nightmare goes on with Maverick...

Match 7: Same guy as Match 3 ANT
    (1-0) G1: Strange game with fast Goyfs and Wastelands between was enough. At one point i play Brainstorm and see Wasteland, FoW (i have already 5 Lands in play) and Land. I gamble a little bit and read my opponent right that he would first let me discard and the turn after go into the loop (he's still on 1 land). So i put FoW on top and take Wasteland in my hand and pass. I was right and he Cabal's me for FoW and see's Wasteland and gets double punished for not going off.
    (2-0) G2: My hand is Cage, LotV, Liliana, Leovold, 2 Lands and i scry and see a Hmyn, perfect. T1 i put LotV down and he let's me discard Lilana. T2 i play Hymn and hit Ad Nauseam and another good card i don't remember. From there on it get's really hard for my opponent. Later in the game a Vision resolves and gets me Hymn, Thoughtseize and X.

(1-1-0) Again lucky.

Match 8: Dario with Stoneblade brew, black for discard but no DRS
    (1-0) G1: A really Shardless-style game. T1 suspend Vision, T2 DRS, T3 Shardless and so on.
    (1-1) G2: A mistake from my side, I should have dredged to get my Loam back and then get my Tarpit back. Even if it get's plowed, it would be a chance to finish him off.
    (2-1) G3: T1 suspend Vision, T2 suspend Vision, nothing more to say against a midrange deck.

(2-1-0) This is the deck Shardless want's to play against. No early pressure and threats that Decay can handle (only Lingering Souls + Equipment can get problematic).

So i finish fifth. Overall i was lucky if you watch the matchups statistic (my point of view).

2x Tempo (even)
    2x Combo (bad)
    1x Ramp (bad)
    2x Mana denial (even)
    1x Midrange (good)

I hope i got all the data right regarding my writing and excuse me for mistakes.
    Nevertheless i love to play the deck with his engines and think it is still one of the Top 10 decks in the format.

A big thanks to the organizers, i always enjoy to play at this tournament!
    | Grixis Control
    | Canadian Threshold

Jun 2016
    Switzerland

Re: [Austria, Rheintal] Legacy tournaments #3 - 06.04.2017

Please move to Tournament-Reports.
    | Grixis Control
    | Canadian Threshold

Thread Information