Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono-Black GriselStorm Reanimator

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Mono-Black GriselStorm Reanimator

I recently saw this mentioned on MTGGoldfish's "This Week in Legacy" series. It's Nakano Akinori's top 16 deck (of 298) from the 6/4/2017 Hareruya Legacy Challenge.

Is this the new Reanimator/Tinfins hybrid hotness? Can it be optimized if it's not already?

Thoughts? Feelings? Ideas?

Go!

Creatures
    1 Grave Titan
    4 Griselbrand
    2 Magus of the Will

Spells
    4 Infernal Tutor
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Entomb
    2 Exhume
    2 Corpse Dance
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Collective Brutality
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Unmask
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

Land
    15 Swamp

Sideboard
    2 Lake of the Dead
    2 Swamp
    3 Grave Titan
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Toxic Deluge
    4 Grim Monolith

Re: Mono-Black GriselStorm Reanimator

Just saw the list, seems like a blast to play. Having this many reanimation spells that do not target should be pretty nice DRS protection; all the LED shenanigans seem great as well.

I don't want to randomly suggest stuff without having played the deck at all; the important question to me would be whether this version of the deck has any substantial improvements setting it apart from classical Tin Fins or even RB Reanimator.

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Quote Originally Posted by SecondSunrise View Post
    Just saw the list, seems like a blast to play. Having this many reanimation spells that do not target should be pretty nice DRS protection; all the LED shenanigans seem great as well.

I don't want to randomly suggest stuff without having played the deck at all; the important question to me would be whether this version of the deck has any substantial improvements setting it apart from classical Tin Fins or even RB Reanimator.
    I would guess a much more robust manabase and really strong redundancy. You also offer yourself a lot more protection with so much discard. This is almost a B equivalent of the Big Red decks and so SB wise I wonder whether you could just jam more lock pieces down. The main issue I foresee if relying on the GY aspect (hence the SB inclusion of more mana to slam down fatties) is the inability with mono B to deal with enchantments such as RiP.

Otherwise I really love the concept :)

(PS: Needs more Doomsday in it!)
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about that myself. All basics get around Blood Moon/Wasteland/Price of Progress impacts. Of course there is the instant speed thing. No CoK seems like it could be a huge minus, but having Infernal Tutor and LED seems like it could make for some really interesting and useful lines. I would love to set it up, but some of the cards I don't have online are the most expensive (IT, LED, Extraction, Monolith). 16th out of 300 makes it seem pretty good, but it could be variance carrying the day.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I didn't look very deeply into this list but it seems very similar to Burning Reanimator (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ing-Reanimator) with Infernal Tutor replacing Burning Wish and Magus of the Will replacing Unburial Rites.

The bad interaction I see is that you can't Entomb anything else after you activate Magus for a turn. Not sure how relevant that is, but locks out a few powerful lines of play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

I've been goldfishing it for a few hours and I'm impressed. It basically wins on the spot as soon as Griselbrand hits. Unlike Tinfins, it doesn't have to cantrip turn after turn - so it's faster. It just goes off and wins off redundancy. It's very promising.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

I dont see how this deck is superior to Tin Fins. Having cantrips is a bonus not a downside as you can sculpt your hand where as in this deck you're seeing maybe your starting hand and 2 more cards and going off from there. Tin Fins wins/goes infinite when Griselbrand hits as well. I do enjoy the magus tech however.

It's the same reason BR Reanimator is superior to Tinfins. It's faster.

You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    I've been goldfishing it for a few hours and I'm impressed. It basically wins on the spot as soon as Griselbrand hits. Unlike Tinfins, it doesn't have to cantrip turn after turn - so it's faster. It just goes off and wins off redundancy. It's very promising.
    What are your thoughts on the sideboard contents?

Have not tried it yet. I've never played a real game with the deck, but goldfishing is so much fun! It feels like Vintage Long.dec with 4 Burning Wish and 4 LED.

Jan 2010
    UK

reminds of Mono Black Worldgorger Dragon I saw a while ago.

I can't get much of some of the sideboard choices. Normally if you play Monolith you should play sol lands to make the most of it and those 2 extra Swamps?

Seems cool to play though.

Should be playing some Nevinyrral's Disks in SB or something to deal with Rip of Lotv.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Doishy View Post
    (PS: Needs more Doomsday in it!)
    Just curious, what would a Doomsday SB look like? What kinds of piles would you make with a mono-black deck?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Problem with doomsday is that you would need to pass the turn if you don't have a card draw. If that's the case then you'll likely need a shelldock emrakul setup.

I like the Grave titan lake of the dead package.
    -rob

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    Just curious, what would a Doomsday SB look like? What kinds of piles would you make with a mono-black deck?
    Contract - Emrakul - Shallow Grave - LED - Ritual?

Go off for BBB B? (Hope a swing for 15 ann6 does it?)

Use it as a suicide black tutor for things.

If start storming off, grab the perfect finish storm pile from a draw 4 and BBB.

Various situational things. :) No one direct "win" line but a lot of potential for advantages.

Or just add in +1 Salvagers, +1 Walking Ballista (The latter is legit though, early ritual into Ballista....).
    Either use Petal, LED mana or reanimate Salvagers using LED as the discard outlook then Bomberman them.

Or throw in Painter-stone combo.

BBBB gives you the kill:
    IC - Painter - GS - LED - Ritual

Or if you have either piece in hand it means you can build a smoother pile or pile with discard protection. :)

Just a bit of fun really.
    The Doomsday Codex

Meow.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Ack! My knowledge of the Doomsday game is severely lacking...

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    Ack! My knowledge of the Doomsday game is severely lacking...
    It's not the easiest game to play. It just requires the breaking down of resources available into a condensed series of choices. "What is needed - Card draw, Mana, Storm Count, Life Total, Wincons" vs "What is missing - Put in Pile" and hope that you have grasped all the factors.

I like messing around with non-standardised DD scenarios as they really make you think but as I said, my suggestion may not have been 100% serious :). Fun fun fun.
    The Doomsday Codex

Meow.

Why would this deck need Doomsday?

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    Why would this deck need Doomsday?
    It wouldn't. As I said, my suggestion was more a bit of fun than serious :P
    The Doomsday Codex

Meow.

This deck seems really sweet. I am especially intrigued with the sb plan with grim monolith.

The only change I'm nearly 100% certain is correct is that there should be exactly one unburial rites (probably 4 fetches and a scrubland) in this deck. This turns hands with led + griselbrand + entomb or led + entomb + entomb but no reanimation spells from speculative to awesome (entomb for unburial rites).

There are a lot of similarities between this and the "dark Fins" deck I built and have been playing online as clone103.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/669093#paper

Unburial rites is an all-star there and it would be here as well. It tends not to be the best natural draw (unless combined with led and griselbrand), but it is a very frequent entomb target either early or for value later turning entomb into a threat when griselbrand is already in the gy. Not sure what the cut would be before playing the deck, but I intend to try this brew out. Maybe I'll start by shaving the second magus of the will. He seems best as a singleton entomb target, and if you draw him naturally while going off you still have many ways to discard him to allow shallow grave.

Thread Information