Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Re: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

You're exactly right. I missed the extra cards from Bob after testing Thalia 2.0 last night. I also missed the fetches turning Mishra's into a scry1. This deck really lets Bob shine too, with so many zeros in the deck. And it's true that Bob and Mentor are both lightning rods for opponents' removal.

I'm pretty set on my maindeck for this weekend, with the only spot I'm going back and forth on being the 2nd Lodestone vs the 4th Mox Opal.

As for the sideboard, I'm still not sure if I want dedicated graveyard hate (and which - Crypt or Leyline). I'm also pretty jealous of the Mentor list from the top 8 of Legacy Champs getting to play Cabal Therapy. I'm trying out a couple in the side now. I see them coming in with the StP's when Chalice comes out vs Eldrazi and D&T. You do get to see random cards from the opponent's hand with Urza's Bauble, and of course therapy is even better with Mentor than it is with Young Pyro. Therapies vs faster combo seems good too, even along side Chalice.

Versus D&T, I noticed CalebD left his Chalices in for game 2, but I'd rather play around their StP than let them blink a Chalice to zero counters. How have you all be siding vs D&T?

This deck continues to be the most fun I've had in Legacy in a long time, even though I dropped at 3-3 Saturday. I kind of wish I'd played it out since 6-3 ended up making day-2, but my buddies also dropped after round-6 and we went out for drinks, which happens too infrequently these days to pass up.

Round 1 vs Manaless Dredge - Game 1 I had some monks going, and a Chalice to protect me from Therapy, but he was able to combo me out pretty quickly. Game 2 I had the Crypt and a Priest, and was able to combo him out with the time they gave me. Game 3 I brought in the Seals since I was expecting Leyline now that he knew for sure what I was doing. This game was a grind as he FoW'd then Surgical Extracted my Mentors, and I used Ballistas to both keep him on 2 or fewer creatures and exile Bridges. I had nugged all his Bridges, one at a time, but still needed an LED to finish him off, while I had dead Cleansings in hand. He was finally able to DR a Flayer, but couldn't do it again because of Cannonist. I was going to die to Flayer triggers from Ichorids during his next upkeep, but I topdecked the LED to finish him off as time was called.

Round 2 vs D&T - Game 1 I led with a Chalice on 1 which was blinked a couple turns later and I couldn't find a Ballista to stay in it. Game 2 there was more back and forth, and I was 1 point of damage (or one mana) away from replaying Petal until my monk tokens could swing for lethal, but instead I got him to 4. The next turn I drew a Ballista I could play for 2 and needed my Salvagers to connect so I could play it and finish him off, but he flashed in the Batterskull I put him on (since he searched up Jitte w/ SFM) and then I died.

Round 3 vs Show & Tell - Game 1 he has turn 2 Show in an Emrakul, I put in a Salvagers. On my turn I'm able to get to 7 permanents in play at 16 life. He swings, I sac everything but Salvagers, but I don't topdeck the LED to steal the win. Game 2 I keep a hand with LED, baubles and the mana for a turn 2 uncounterable Salvagers. With the baubles I see Show and Tell, Emrakul, and Blood Moon. He plays turn 1 Show into Emrakul, I put in LED, and as I draw off my bauble triggers and find the Salvagers I tell him he should have played the Blood Moon :) turn 2 win! Game 3 he does play out an early moon, and he counters/extracts my Mentors. He cantrips for a few turns while I can't find another white (mentor was off petal) to cast Salvagers - and I never do.

Round 4 vs Slivers - He's a few minutes late to the table and then I turn 3 him while he has two Muscle Slivers in play. I'll take it.

Round 5 vs Pile - Game 1 he's in complete control, and the turn before he would kill me I topdeck a Salvagers he doesn't have a counter for and win out of no where. I know I took Chalices out for game 2 on the draw, and brought them in for game 3 on the play, but both post-board games were a grind. I was doing enough to stay alive game 3 despite an early Needle on Salvagers, and him eventually extracting my LED's and Ballistas, but he ultimately finishes me off with another TNN (a Pontiff got the first one).

Round 6 vs Goblins - Game 1 he leads on Lackey; I don't do much at all but a Bob reveals Salvagers on my last turn, and he exclaims, "OOhhhhh." The jig is up. He floods hard game 2 and I combo him out. In game 3 he deals with a couple Mentors via Pyrokinesis, but I have the infinite mana on like turn 4, though he's confused because there's no Ballista to be seen. He laughs when I target zero land cards in his graveyard with Lodestone Bauble, and then I say, "I'll do that 100 more times." He draws his deck then cycles an incinerator for the sudoku, with 40-something bauble triggers on the stack. :)

I honestly think this deck is viable, and not a $50 donation to take into battle at the Open. In the losses you always feel in it, and have outs. Opponents genuinely enjoy playing vs the deck, win or lose, and ask lots of questions after the match. And you also get a lot of giddy spectators with the deck, which adds to my enjoyment, personally.

Still looking forward to playing it again. I didn't miss the Spyglasses. I'd like to find room for some more Cabal Therapy in the board; I never saw the one, but I did side it in a bunch.

1 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 City of Traitors
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    1 Windswept Heath
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble

Sideboard:
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Orzhov Pontiff
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Seal of Cleansing
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Tormod's Crypt

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

F7, thanks for the continued work on the deck.
    I absolutely love Bomberman and think that the BW version that appeared is the coolest one out there, alas currently I have no financial means or justification into buying into it until I finish my current project.

Do you feel the maindeck needs tinkering at all or is it just in too good a place right now?
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Thread Information