Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Re: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by That nice guy View Post
    It only runs 2, and you're already piloting 4 LED
    $300 of non-RL cards only playable in fringe decks is a far cry from $400 of RL cards also playable in tier-1 decks. I would also guess most people here did not buy their LEDs to play bomberman (kudos if they did).

Could you share your red list? I like the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    $300 of non-RL cards only playable in fringe decks is a far cry from $400 of RL cards also playable in tier-1 decks. I would also guess most people here did not buy their LEDs to play bomberman (kudos if they did).

It's the page1 list with Cities, and 1 Mox Diamond over inventor's fair. Only two loadstone and 4 Opal. Nothing special.
    Now will some explain why Bob is better games 2 &3
    Last edited by That nice guy; 02-10-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Team Awesome: Busting Toilets since 2009
    Meth!

Quote Originally Posted by manroe View Post
    freebooter mb or sb?

Sent from my oneplus a5000 using tapatalk
    mb >:)

Quote Originally Posted by carlinms View Post
    @mambosong how are you sideboarding? Sometimes it’s obvious but against something like grixis what are you shaving?
    i've been cutting dark confidant for removal x3. collective brutality is pretty good against them since it kills their delvers while being playable through a resolved chalice. I tend to be able to out grind them with mentor (especially effective after a freebooter, especially if freebooter was played on T1).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post

haha i bought my LED's just for bomberman >.<

I went to my 5th 3-round local event last night and I lost my third round ever. The only 3 rounds (out of 15) that I ever lost were to Enchantress, first-turn probe->therapies from grixis delever 2 games, and last night I lost to a Midrange BUG list that Thoughtseized then Hymned me in two games. It makes me want to sideboard Leylines, but that seems like a really bad draw. Another interesting thing about last night is that it was the first time I have ever had to recrute up a revoker.

Also, the maindeck 1-of Mox diamond was awesome, I might test 2 soon.

I tested a 1-of Orzhov Pontiff target in the SB even though I'm on red, and it was never relevant.

I'm probably going to test hope of ghirapur in the SB next, but I'm not sure what to cut.

I'm going to a 1K this weekend and have 3 slots in my SB to fiddle with. The candidates are: 2nd Ethersworn Canonist, Phyrexian Revoker, Sanctum Prelate or Hope of Ghirapur. I want to drop Cannonist #2 and Prelate for 2 Hope, but I just havn't tested it.
    Last edited by That nice guy; 02-13-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Meth!

Quote Originally Posted by mambosong View Post
    i've been cutting dark confidant for removal x3. collective brutality is pretty good against them since it kills their delvers while being playable through a resolved chalice. I tend to be able to out grind them with mentor (especially effective after a freebooter, especially if freebooter was played on T1).
    Interesting. You’re not bringing in any GY hate? I’m playing 3 leyline in SB. I have brutalities main and freebooter in SB. Going to another weekly legacy 4 rounder tonight so we’ll see how that goes.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Interesting. You’re not bringing in any GY hate? I’m playing 3 leyline in SB. I have brutalities main and freebooter in SB. Going to another weekly legacy 4 rounder tonight so we’ll see how that goes.
    Is Leyline better than Crypt?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD42020S/

I'll leave this here. Some spicy ways the Japanese have taken the WR builds, making it very Painter-esque with Ensnaring Bridge. The mana base is also really spicy (Ash Barrens!). Definitely some stuff to note here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD42020S/

I'll leave this here. Some spicy ways the Japanese have taken the WR builds, making it very Painter-esque with Ensnaring Bridge. The mana base is also really spicy (Ash Barrens!). Definitely some stuff to note here.
    This is awesome!
    If K-comand wasn't everywhere right now I'd be playing a version of this where I could side into mentor games 2-3. Also, I'd cut the abrade for more Chandras.

Unfortunately I don't think bridge is great right now with answers like K-COMAND, natural order, flickerwisp and decay in assension.
    Meth!

Quote Originally Posted by That nice guy View Post
    I'm going to a 1K this weekend
    After 7 rounds I went 5-2, 19th place. My losses were to 2 card Monty jank and red prison. At the end of the prison match, my opponent had chalice on 0 and 1, 3 ensnaring bridge, 2 spyglass out, 3 bloodmoon and 3 trinisphere. The bottom card of my library was the Explosives I was digging for and I had 2 cards left in my library. I was really suprised that he put chalice on 1 after 0 which ruined my plan of recycling Hope to lock my opponent off of playing spells. Apparently he just wanted it out of his hand for bridge.

The changes I think I will make is -1 loadstone bauble +1 Inventor's Fair. I'm also going to somehow add another explosive.
    Meth!

I've never felt that it was necessary to bring in GY hate against that deck. I've always managed to stabilize against angler with mentor tokens, and outrace delver. i feel like GY hate is pretty soft against them, they generally don't "depend" on their GY but use it more as a "value engine", which makes it hard for me to justify bringing in GY hate (since the hate tends to be soft & dilutes our combo/aggro plan). I'd rather keep the strength of my Plan A, than to weaken their Plan B.

Dec 2016
    Portland, ME

I wanted to get some feedback from the group regarding possible sideboard cards, especially after talking with "That nice guy" at a local Legacy 2k.

I have been running a B/W version for a couple months. Here is my current mainboard (shout-out to ChemicalBurns for the great write-up on MTGGoldfish and his advocacy for running Kitesail Freebooter. I read your write-up on the way back from the 2k and found your build inspiring).

Creatures:18
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Kitesail Freebooter
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Auriok Salvagers

Spells:24
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble

Lands:18
    2 Ancient Den
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    2 Scrubland

These slots I think are no-brainers:

2 Containment Priest
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Tormod's Crypt

My remaining slots have gone through several iterations. Here are some cards I have tried in the board loosely in order of effectiveness:
    • Meekstone (in against Delver and Eldrazi. Worked great with Mentor. Felt too narrow and didn't help in other "big monster" matchups like SnT and Reanimator)
    • Swords to Plowshares (great in fair matchups when chalice came out. That said, keeping chalice in against most decks except DnT and Eldrazi feels correct just to protect the combo).
    • Lodestone Bauble (provides alternate, non-damage or post-surgical wincon, but it has rarely felt necessary).
    • Ethersworn Canonist (Great against Storm, but makes all of the hate susceptible to Hurkyls).
    • Sanctum Prelate (great against PFire decks, Storm and Miracles, but quite difficult to cast).
    • Shimmer Myr (offers a chance to win a half-turn faster and make some funny plays with Mentor, such as by flashing in an artifact for prowess, but generally did not feel necessary).
    • Cast Out (very flexible removal but sometimes difficult to cast or too slow to cast to deal with the problem, such as a Chalice on zero. It works poorly with Bob and only deals with a single hate card--as opposed to something more general or a hate card that can deal with multiple threats at once).
    • Ensnaring Bridge (helpful against SnT, Reanimator and aggro decks but works terribly with Mentor).
    • Disenchant + Seal of Cleansing (difficult to cast with mana base but great removal for narrow problems).

Here are some of the cards I am thinking about trying as alternatives to those listed above. I would love to hear about any of your experiences with these and what matchups you found them to be valuable for.
    • Thalia, Heretic Cathar (Effective against Delver, Lands and various tempo-y matchups and very easy to cast).
    • Ratchet Bomb (deals with Chalice on zero and prison decks which rely on three- and four-drops).
    • Devout Witness (recurrable way to deal with artifacts and enchantments, which is great against prison decks, DnT and other weird combos).

Here is what I was thinking about running this weekend:
    • 2 Containment Priest
    • 2 Kitesail Freebooter
    • 2 Devout Witness
    • 2 Orzhov Pontiff
    • 2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    • 1 Engineered Explosives
    • 3 Tormod's Crypt
    • 1 Ratchet Bomb

Thank you in advance for any feedback! Obviously these questions are really addressed to B/W players as the tutoring involved with Trinket Mage and Imperial Recruiter significantly change how to build a Bomberman board.

Hello everyone.

I just picked up my LEDs, but I sold my Bobs to a friend because peer pressure sucks. Is there any option for a mono white build? I tried subbing in 4 Magus of the Moon in place of the Bobs, but I fear without Imperial Recruiters, it's not going to work out well.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfJacks View Post
    Hello everyone.

I just picked up my LEDs, but I sold my Bobs to a friend because peer pressure sucks. Is there any option for a mono white build? I tried subbing in 4 Magus of the Moon in place of the Bobs, but I fear without Imperial Recruiters, it's not going to work out well.

Any suggestions?

I have been mono white bomberman for a while in Cockatrice. Its a really good list white more solid but less speedy plans than B/w version.

Creatures:
    4 Walking Ballista
    2 Ethersworn canonist
    4 sanctum prelate
    1 argivian archaeologist
    2 peacekeeper
    2 leonin abunas
    4 auriok salvangers

Spells:
    3 lodestone bauble
    4 Led
    4 Chrome mox
    4 chalice of the void
    2 sorcerous spyglass
    4 ensnaring bridge

Lands:
    4 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    4 cavern of souls
    7 plains
    1 inventors fair
    1 karakas

And Thx for Tanaka Mikito for develloping this list and share with me !

Imperial recruiter reprint means we could get some more spotlight on the WR version :)

I was playing the WB list a while back before Kitesail, and I was running 4 Infernal tutors. I’ve been debating picking the deck back up as WR. Why do we think the WB list is better? Does cabal therapy, Bob and Kitesail really push the deck over the edge?

I was thinking for WR:
    4 Ballista
    4 Mentor
    4 Salvager
    3 Imperial
    2 Magus
    4 Mishra
    4 Urza
    1 Lodestone
    2/3 Opal
    4 Petal
    4 Chalice
    4 LED
    18-19 Lands (2-3 fetches)

Board:
    2 Containment
    2 Canonist
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 StP
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    2 Tormod’s Crypt
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Seal Of Cleansing
    1 Wear//Tear
    2 Direfleet Daredevil
    Last edited by Sg Schultz; 02-27-2018 at 11:53 PM.

It's an exciting time for Bombermaning with the new Recruiter reprint!

I think I'll be updating the first page of the primer very soon. There's a lot of changes that have been going on, in particular:
    - The Black build's adoption of Freebooter as a proactive piece of disruption.
    - The altered mana base possible thanks to Spire of Industry. Although this makes us Wasteland and Moon prone, Wasteland we can't really dodge and Moon we can beat with Petals and Opals (and often use it ourself). This mana base can make us pseudo-tri-coloured which is... Pretty powerful. RWB with Bob and Recruiter sounds very interesting. It also makes off-colour spells a semi-reasonable option to cast, though Humans should still be prioritised.
    - The navigation away from Mentor-based lists (particularly in Japan) for WR and a more Painter-esque prison shell using Ensnaring Bridge to buy time until we can combo. Recruiter makes comboing easier to assemble. As mentioned by @that nice guy though, this build may not be great in K-Command land.
    - A more thorough exploration of WR with Recruiter's reprinting.

@cosmic coil I think Devout Witness is probably the key card to locking up the Dragon Stompy matchup, which is otherwise pretty difficult. Especially good in Recruiter shells.

I have good experience with Plow despite tension (it just ends up being about sequencing), but there are plenty of 1W removal (Blessed Alliance, for example) that could replace it. I think removal is necessary in any shell though, the same can be said for Disenchant/Seal of Cleansing effects. Many people having been opting for Leyline of the Void over Crypt recently and I don't mind this, Crypt has at times felt a little lacklustre to me (despite it triggering Mentor and being loopable). I do agree that Canonist is a little mediocre with Hurkyl's involved, though Sanctum has mana base tensions too... Perhaps additional Freebooters are a reasonable option - we do only need to buy time until we either can combo them ourselves or kill in 2-3 turns with Mentor (oh wait, that's exactly what you have > <).

I'm not sure THC is where we want to be, and her purpose seems a little bit disjointed from our plan. Test her out and see how she goes, but there may be other better options. I'm still a little confused on the rationale behind her, especially with her such a lacklustre topdeck and mediocre in any Karakas matchup.

Dec 2016
    Portland, ME

Thanks--I agree on all fronts.

I am going to test THC at SCG Worcester this weekend and will try out Devouted Witness once I pick up my recruiters. With the price of Bridge coming down I am not against trying those more prison-style builds without Mentor in the near future.

I am also curious about an Esper build with Trinket Mage and Bob. I am curious to find out how many blue-producing lands will be necessary to run to pull it off. With petals and opals I wonder if a single Tundra would be sufficient (providing 12 ways to cast them).

My thought with THC is just something disruptive against fair decks--from aggro loam to delver. I also want it for some combo matchups, such as lands and SnT. My local lands player has not bee around often enough to test the matchup (I am assuming its difficult) but it has been great so far against delver. I also wanted something to slow down SnT, which has proven challenging. I come from a background of playing soldiers and have found a Thalia to really mess with a lot of deck's early turns. Against decks with more than one Karakas (i.e., not Eldrazi), I would not bring it in anyways. I have also liked it as a disruptive element to creature decks like Elves and Eldrazi. THC helps with both, but again there might be better cards for either. Eldrazi appears to be a nightmare for B/W with chalice on zero, possibly a turn zero leyline and then fat spaghetti monsters swinging in for massive damage. I can see though how disenchant helps here, but it also just makes us reactive and not able to slow down their actual clock. Then again, it may just be unwinnable.

If it's a total bust I'll try something else at Classic on Sunday and report back any modifications. My meta in Maine is heavily Elves and so far it has helped trip them up enough to buy time. I imagine that some type of disenchant effect will replace the THCs in the long-run, or I might just start running red just to be able to tutor-up enchantment and artifact removal. If they could just print disenchant on a human creature for 2/3 mana, and one white, I'd be all set!

I completely see the argument for Leyline. I have liked being able to bring it in against RUG delver and Miracles; against RUG I might bring in leyline too, but against Miracles I probably would not just so I wouldn't have that as a later topdeck. At the very least it helps in that matchup with preventing SfA from flipping and getting rid of StP 5-8. I also had a weird niche scenario where I crypt-ed myself to avoid a surgical getting LEDs. It was narrow, but not an impossible situation to happen again.

I would be really curious to hear what B/W players are finding to be their worst matchups and whether they just try to dodge them or board heavily for them.

I have found Eldrazi, Show + Tell, and Moon Stompy to be miserable. I haven't tested at all against Lands but do notice that Punishing Fire decks definitely hamper our "fair" plan quite a bit.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Lastly, a little PSA. As an L1 Judge I took the liberty of looking on the judge message boards about resolving Urza's Bauble. Everyone agrees that your opponent can see the card that you "look at" even though the card itself makes no mention of that action. Just a heads up in case you are in a comp REL situation and don't want a warning (this is, of course, assuming that the judge in front of you knows this as well).

I've done a decent (although far from exhaustive) amount of testing with devout witness. I really, really wanted to like her, cause she seems like exactly what we wanted in counter-hate cards. Unfortunately, my experience has been that she is always either too slow or the uncounterability is negated by vulnerability to removal.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmiccoil View Post
    I am also curious about an Esper build with Trinket Mage and Bob. I am curious to find out how many blue-producing lands will be necessary to run to pull it off. With petals and opals I wonder if a single Tundra would be sufficient (providing 12 ways to cast them).
    I haven't had any trouble casting a one-of trinket mage with a 4/4/4/3 mana base of caver/opal/petal/spire. It's still only a one-of, though, so might not be representative.
    I completely see the argument for Leyline. I have liked being able to bring it in against RUG delver and Miracles; against RUG I might bring in leyline too, but against Miracles I probably would not just so I wouldn't have that as a later topdeck. At the very least it helps in that matchup with preventing SfA from flipping and getting rid of StP 5-8. I also had a weird niche scenario where I crypt-ed myself to avoid a surgical getting LEDs. It was narrow, but not an impossible situation to happen again.
    As I noted in my Reddit post, my experience has been that crypt is a huge trap. It's not impressive to me as value/incidental hate because you're still down a card and it's not impressive as counter-yard strategies because it's still too slow. Leyline is (not easily, but still) castable, comes down T0. That's all I really need.
    I could see doing some sort of split if you're running several trinket mages, maybe.
    I would be really curious to hear what B/W players are finding to be their worst matchups and whether they just try to dodge them or board heavily for them.
    I have found Eldrazi, Show + Tell, and Moon Stompy to be miserable. I haven't tested at all against Lands but do notice that Punishing Fire decks definitely hamper our "fair" plan quite a bit.
    Anything with trinisphere sucks balls. I don't think that card is beatable.
    My experience with eldrazi is that you beat them the same way all the other combo decks do - get lucky, or hope they get unlucky. They're pretty inconsistent, we're pretty fast, and mentor hands are still very often good enough.
    Show and Tell is one of the biggest reasons I like Cast Out as the catch-all answer: show it in. I also found space for some Spyglasses in the board, they help a lot here and against Jace.
    The key to beating Lands as a stompy deck, I think, is realizing that much like burn, Chalice on 2 is the gamebreaker, and chalice on 1 is just an inconvenience. Spyglass helps. Cast Out is very good. Leave EE in for exploration/vortex/manabond. If you play leyline it's probably worth it; if you play crypt I dunno that it is. The Mentor plan is generally bad against PFire, but a smart lands player brings in spheres/chalice/trinisphere, which means you need to keep it in to have a functional combo-kill condition. They're also still just dead to fast mentor hands. board out bob.

My only really terrible matchup so far has been the chandra tribal blood moon prison deck. Blood moon, trinisphere, chalice, fiery confluence, and planeswalker lockdown along with assorted other boardwipes and annoyance has been incredibly frustrating to play against. I've even had them bring in frikken' null rods. *pukes*
    Everything else has been possibly annoying but beatable.
    Last edited by angelbaka; 03-02-2018 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Found a computer to fromat an actual reply

Thread Information