Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Re: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

You're exactly right. I missed the extra cards from Bob after testing Thalia 2.0 last night. I also missed the fetches turning Mishra's into a scry1. This deck really lets Bob shine too, with so many zeros in the deck. And it's true that Bob and Mentor are both lightning rods for opponents' removal.

I'm pretty set on my maindeck for this weekend, with the only spot I'm going back and forth on being the 2nd Lodestone vs the 4th Mox Opal.

As for the sideboard, I'm still not sure if I want dedicated graveyard hate (and which - Crypt or Leyline). I'm also pretty jealous of the Mentor list from the top 8 of Legacy Champs getting to play Cabal Therapy. I'm trying out a couple in the side now. I see them coming in with the StP's when Chalice comes out vs Eldrazi and D&T. You do get to see random cards from the opponent's hand with Urza's Bauble, and of course therapy is even better with Mentor than it is with Young Pyro. Therapies vs faster combo seems good too, even along side Chalice.

Versus D&T, I noticed CalebD left his Chalices in for game 2, but I'd rather play around their StP than let them blink a Chalice to zero counters. How have you all be siding vs D&T?

This deck continues to be the most fun I've had in Legacy in a long time, even though I dropped at 3-3 Saturday. I kind of wish I'd played it out since 6-3 ended up making day-2, but my buddies also dropped after round-6 and we went out for drinks, which happens too infrequently these days to pass up.

Round 1 vs Manaless Dredge - Game 1 I had some monks going, and a Chalice to protect me from Therapy, but he was able to combo me out pretty quickly. Game 2 I had the Crypt and a Priest, and was able to combo him out with the time they gave me. Game 3 I brought in the Seals since I was expecting Leyline now that he knew for sure what I was doing. This game was a grind as he FoW'd then Surgical Extracted my Mentors, and I used Ballistas to both keep him on 2 or fewer creatures and exile Bridges. I had nugged all his Bridges, one at a time, but still needed an LED to finish him off, while I had dead Cleansings in hand. He was finally able to DR a Flayer, but couldn't do it again because of Cannonist. I was going to die to Flayer triggers from Ichorids during his next upkeep, but I topdecked the LED to finish him off as time was called.

Round 2 vs D&T - Game 1 I led with a Chalice on 1 which was blinked a couple turns later and I couldn't find a Ballista to stay in it. Game 2 there was more back and forth, and I was 1 point of damage (or one mana) away from replaying Petal until my monk tokens could swing for lethal, but instead I got him to 4. The next turn I drew a Ballista I could play for 2 and needed my Salvagers to connect so I could play it and finish him off, but he flashed in the Batterskull I put him on (since he searched up Jitte w/ SFM) and then I died.

Round 3 vs Show & Tell - Game 1 he has turn 2 Show in an Emrakul, I put in a Salvagers. On my turn I'm able to get to 7 permanents in play at 16 life. He swings, I sac everything but Salvagers, but I don't topdeck the LED to steal the win. Game 2 I keep a hand with LED, baubles and the mana for a turn 2 uncounterable Salvagers. With the baubles I see Show and Tell, Emrakul, and Blood Moon. He plays turn 1 Show into Emrakul, I put in LED, and as I draw off my bauble triggers and find the Salvagers I tell him he should have played the Blood Moon :) turn 2 win! Game 3 he does play out an early moon, and he counters/extracts my Mentors. He cantrips for a few turns while I can't find another white (mentor was off petal) to cast Salvagers - and I never do.

Round 4 vs Slivers - He's a few minutes late to the table and then I turn 3 him while he has two Muscle Slivers in play. I'll take it.

Round 5 vs Pile - Game 1 he's in complete control, and the turn before he would kill me I topdeck a Salvagers he doesn't have a counter for and win out of no where. I know I took Chalices out for game 2 on the draw, and brought them in for game 3 on the play, but both post-board games were a grind. I was doing enough to stay alive game 3 despite an early Needle on Salvagers, and him eventually extracting my LED's and Ballistas, but he ultimately finishes me off with another TNN (a Pontiff got the first one).

Round 6 vs Goblins - Game 1 he leads on Lackey; I don't do much at all but a Bob reveals Salvagers on my last turn, and he exclaims, "OOhhhhh." The jig is up. He floods hard game 2 and I combo him out. In game 3 he deals with a couple Mentors via Pyrokinesis, but I have the infinite mana on like turn 4, though he's confused because there's no Ballista to be seen. He laughs when I target zero land cards in his graveyard with Lodestone Bauble, and then I say, "I'll do that 100 more times." He draws his deck then cycles an incinerator for the sudoku, with 40-something bauble triggers on the stack. :)

I honestly think this deck is viable, and not a $50 donation to take into battle at the Open. In the losses you always feel in it, and have outs. Opponents genuinely enjoy playing vs the deck, win or lose, and ask lots of questions after the match. And you also get a lot of giddy spectators with the deck, which adds to my enjoyment, personally.

Still looking forward to playing it again. I didn't miss the Spyglasses. I'd like to find room for some more Cabal Therapy in the board; I never saw the one, but I did side it in a bunch.

1 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 City of Traitors
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    1 Windswept Heath
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble

Sideboard:
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Orzhov Pontiff
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Seal of Cleansing
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Tormod's Crypt

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

F7, thanks for the continued work on the deck.
    I absolutely love Bomberman and think that the BW version that appeared is the coolest one out there, alas currently I have no financial means or justification into buying into it until I finish my current project.

Do you feel the maindeck needs tinkering at all or is it just in too good a place right now?
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Mar 2017
    Rhode Island, USA

Hello, fellow bombers! Longtime lurker, first time poster joining in here to share a brief Wednesday night Legacy report. As a quick background, I’ve been collecting since Onslaught, playing since Ravnica, and usually play Storm or Canadian/Grixis Delver. When top got banned I wanted to find a deck that truly made Mentor great, and was directed to this thread. Just grabbed my fourth Bob and second City of Traitors this week, so I broke a month hiatus from playing at the shop (due to moving and work) and swung over there to jam.

The number of people who play Legacy at the shop is pretty small, but it’s at least fairly diverse, and everyone views it more as a testing ground than anything. Just three rounds last night, went 2-1 overall.

Round 1 vs. Czech pile, 1-2 : A friend of mine and testing buddy, who is always on 4C Deathblade, Czech Pile, or some multicolor stack of durdling. He goes USea->ponder->pass, and when I open on a Cavern naming human instead of USea->Delver, he’s surprised. Game 1 is a bit of a slog, I get Cavern and spare mana down, a Mox, a couple LEDs, and when I go for Bob and Mentor he Pushes and Kommands them respectively, taking down one of the extra LEDs. He gets a Jace down and starts fatesealing me, signaling he has no way of beating a drawn Salvagers. I bauble a few times for extra draws, and in a risky move he takes a turn off fatesealing to try an brainstorm into answers. As it happens, that turn I get Salvagers down, crack the LED, he forces it, but I have extra mana to re-initiate the loop.

Game 2 I keep an experimental hand and just play sol lands and Ballistas on 1, 1, and 2 over the first couple turns. The beats get him to 8 while he spins his wheels cantripping, but I draw nothing impactful, and he kills my Ballistas eventually. When I do pull the trigger, he Diabolic Edicts my Salvagers as I go for the combo. Game 3 I mull down, keep a hand with the combo but not enough mana hoping to play the odds, so of course they weren’t in my favor. I didn’t get there, and he Thoughtseize/Hymned my hand apart and won with a Jace ultimate sometime later after many fateseals.

Outside of the main rounds, we played a couple pre-board practice games and went 1-1, the matchup is a lot closer than I thought it would be. I think I mainly need to work on being more judicious with my mulligans. For sideboarding, Chalice seemed mediocre against a bunch of Kommands, so I boarded in two Tormod’s Crypt for two Chalice knowing he has Kess as well as Snaps. Strixes and Snaps don’t really matter much in the matchup compared to Kommand/Jace but Pontiffs are probably better than Chalices. Definitely merits more practice.

--------------------------
    Round 2 vs. 4C Loam, 2-0 : I lose the roll and he starts with Bayou pass, I drop a Cavern on human which gets wasted the next turn. I respond with a Scrubland, mox, bauble, and Bob which sits around for some turns drawing cards. He gets a Knight out, I land a Mentor and make a couple tokens, which gets promptly Decayed the next turn. He grabs a Stage and passes, ready to go for Depths, but I have Salvagers+LED ready to go after all the Bob draws. He activates Knight in response to me starting the loop and showing him the Ballista in my gy, trying to find something, but doesn’t have it.

Game 2 starts similarly, I get double-wasted off my Cavern and City of Traitors, but only after I’ve landed a mentor and made three monks. He PFires the Mentor, but doesn’t have much else, so I start bashing in with little monks and play a Salvagers with no LED or Ballista. He’s puzzled, and PFires one of the Monks. Next turn, I use Salvagers to loop some baubles, grow the two remaining monks, and bash in for lethal.

For boarding here, I believe I took out the Chalices for two Crypts and two EE (expecting him to Chalice for 0).

--------------------------
    Round 3 vs. Canadian Thresh, 2-0 : This is actually a friend borrowing my Canadian list that I brought with me, normally he’s on Mono-R Sneak but he wants to practice playing with blue cards. I lose the die roll (I actually didn’t win a single one last night), he plays Trop and passes, and I go for an Ancient Tomb, an LED, some baubles, a Mox to make it Daze-proof, and pull the trigger on the turn 1 Chalice. Here, he actually Forces the mox (he’s never played Delver or against Bomberman, so inexperience definitely factored in) so I get the Chalice down and the game is pretty academic after that. If he had forced the Chalice, I had a second one in hand ready to go.

Game 2, I have a hand that doesn’t do anything turn 1, and he gets a Goyf and a Goose down, but turn 3 I can Cavern out a Mentor and I make 5 monk tokens. He’s surprised, but works with it, we pass a couple times while I get a Bob down and hunt for an LED. When I finally find one, I go to crack it, and when I do he Surgicals my Ballistas. I say fine, let him take them, and he Stifles the Salvagers trigger. Still fine, I pass, and the next turn I do the loop again and attack with five 1000/1000 monk tokens. I let him know after the game that he should have Surgical’d the LED, and when I went to activate Salvagers again, he could’ve Stifled the second activation. Then my only recourse was looping baubles to make the Monks lethal, and at least there his removal is live to save him.

I believe I just took out a Lodestone Bauble and a Mox Opal for two Crypts when I boarded here. Didn’t feel like I needed the Swords at all, but perhaps there’s worse cards to take them out for as a safety valve against a big Goyf.

All-in-all, I loved the deck, and its non-combo backup plans are just as resilient as I had hoped they would be. I’m going to keep testing it as I go forward, I think a friend and I are going to go to SCG Worcester this year and I’ll be deciding between some Delver deck or Bomberman, and he’ll take the other. And next year we’re planning on doing a Team Constructed open, either Baltimore or Cincinnati, and this deck seems like a blast for that format. For the sideboard, I genuinely want to try the Prelate/Therapy plan, partly because I love casting Therapy but also because that fills a hole in the sideboard of dealing with problematic spells. Can’t wait to test more with the deck.

Maindeck:
    2 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Windswept Heath
    2 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble

Sideboard:
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Orzhov Pontiff
    2 Seal of Cleansing
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Tormod's Crypt

Bonus Story: In one of the practice games against Czech Pile, turn 3 I go for Salvagers with two LEDs out and a Ballista in the yard off a Cavern and he tanks for thirty seconds, then exclaims "I'm just dead, I'm literally dead. I can do nothing here." and reveals a hand of Bolt, Bolt, Push, Force, blue card with no fetches in play. This deck is a joy.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Gustha's Scepter

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Monastery Mentor

4 Thirst for Knowledge

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Ancient Den
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Seat of the Synod
    2 Tundra
    1 Academy Ruins
    How about instead of Oath we would play paradoxical Outcome:

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Seat of the Synod

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Monastery Mentor

4 Paradoxical Outcome

4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Gustha's Scepter

This is reminiscent of the Paradoxical Mentor List that Claudio Bonanni played at Nebraska War, but more combo and less card draw - As Michael already said Thoughtcast is kind of mediocre with Baubles (https://www.woodedteam.com/paradoxicaldekctech).

I am unsure if when you draw the cards immediately you rather want Mishra's Baubles then the Scepter and Lodestone Baubles.
    Maybe this is better:

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Seat of the Synod

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Monastery Mentor

4 Paradoxical Outcome

4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Urza's Bauble
    2 Lodestone Bauble
    3 Mishra’s Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Gustha's Scepter
    Chalice on 1

Quote Originally Posted by hofzge View Post
    How about instead of Oath we would play paradoxical Outcome:

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Seat of the Synod

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Monastery Mentor

4 Paradoxical Outcome

4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Gustha's Scepter

This is reminiscent of the Paradoxical Mentor List that Claudio Bonanni played at Nebraska War, but more combo and less card draw - As Michael already said Thoughtcast is kind of mediocre with Baubles (https://www.woodedteam.com/paradoxicaldekctech).

I am unsure if when you draw the cards immediately you rather want Mishra's Baubles then the Scepter and Lodestone Baubles.
    Maybe this is better:

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Seat of the Synod

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Monastery Mentor

4 Paradoxical Outcome

4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Urza's Bauble
    2 Lodestone Bauble
    3 Mishra’s Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Gustha's Scepter

How has paradoxical outcome been?

Has anyone been playing the BW version lately? I was looking to put it together and was wondering what some bad matchups are? What do people’s current lists look like? Thanks.

@carlinms, I'm the guy who's list got posted on This Week In Legacy and who made the Reddit posts.

The deck runs great. It's one of my favorite brews right now and I just bought most of the pieces I was missing last week. I have a blast playing it.

Bad matchups are anything that plays Trinisphere and Show and Tell. Moon Stompy (especially the version with a trillion board wipes) is basically unwinnable, in my experience. About as bad as miracles vs 12post.

Pretty much everything else is even to good. The deck is full of fantastic cards and shitty cantrips. You lose more games to variance than something like Delver, but you get more freerolls and lose less to variance than anything that doesn't play Brainstorm.

Give it a shot, it's a ton of fun. It's also great to remember why Bob is (or at least was) considered one of the best creatures ever printed.

Quote Originally Posted by angelbaka View Post
    Bad matchups are anything that plays Trinisphere and Show and Tell. Moon Stompy (especially the version with a trillion board wipes) is basically unwinnable, in my experience. About as bad as miracles vs 12post.
    Thanks for all the content I’ve been catching up on the MTGGoldfish article and the reddit thread. I saw you mentioning Seal of Cleansing in your board. What’s the advantage of that over Disenchant?

Also, is there any other message boards or discord? And do any of you guys stream? Thanks again!

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Could someone explain the usefulness of Gustha's Scepter to a pleb like me please?
    Once you go Legacy...

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    Could someone explain the usefulness of Gustha's Scepter to a pleb like me please?
    The idea is that with scepter you can exile e.g. a Mentor/Salvagers and then crack your LED to cast those. Otherwise LED is often a bit dead as you can only really use it in a combo turn and you need some artifact finisher like ballista/lodestone bauble in your graveyard to use the infinite mana.
    With Scepter you can also better fulfill the conditions on Oath of Scholars, as you can exile your last card if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by carlinms View Post
    Thanks for all the content I’ve been catching up on the MTGGoldfish article and the reddit thread. I saw you mentioning Seal of Cleansing in your board. What’s the advantage of that over Disenchant?
    One idea of that would be that you can give prowess whenever you want to instead of needing an artifact/enchantment in play (which would often be your own artifact). Also should you play Oath of Scholars then Seal of Cleansing is superior for the aforementioned reason of emptying your hand.
    Chalice on 1

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

That makes total sense, thank you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

Having being selected as the Legacy player for an upcoming Team Trios GP - I am considering playing this deck - I have a month to prepare.

I'm taking it to my local legacy tonight for a first test run.

The deck appeals to me as a chalice deck with a fast kill - although I'm hesitant as I won't be able to practice on MTGO much.

Will report how the deck does tonight later :)

Quote Originally Posted by themtgzealot View Post
    Having being selected as the Legacy player for an upcoming Team Trios GP - I am considering playing this deck - I have a month to prepare.

I'm taking it to my local legacy tonight for a first test run.

The deck appeals to me as a chalice deck with a fast kill - although I'm hesitant as I won't be able to practice on MTGO much.

Will report how the deck does tonight later :)
    I highly recommend testing out Kitesail Freebooter as at least of a 3-of

Tested with them last night and they felt fantastic, went with a 4-0 record against Sneaky Show, ANT, fairy blade, and TES.

Might be because its great against combo, but it really helped give me a huge boost, I didn't draw chalice against ANT, and came up only once against TES.

Its a proactive disruption piece that protects your turn 2 mentors/salvagers, etc from being plow'd or countered.

I tested out Tasigur as well (as per reddit post someone made), and it honestly felt like a win-more card, it came up in about half my games (always drew it, even though it was a 1-of) and it the potential combat damage it provided wasn't necessary to give me the win.

thought-knot seer was played as a 2-of, and it came up about 1/3 of the games, it was hard to really assess if I needed it, but it definitely provided a clock for when i didn't have the mentor beats going.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by mambosong View Post
    I highly recommend testing out Kitesail Freebooter as at least of a 3-of

Tested with them last night and they felt fantastic, went with a 4-0 record against Sneaky Show, ANT, fairy blade, and TES.

Might be because its great against combo, but it really helped give me a huge boost, I didn't draw chalice against ANT, and came up only once against TES.

Its a proactive disruption piece that protects your turn 2 mentors/salvagers, etc from being plow'd or countered.

I tested out Tasigur as well (as per reddit post someone made), and it honestly felt like a win-more card, it came up in about half my games (always drew it, even though it was a 1-of) and it the potential combat damage it provided wasn't necessary to give me the win.

thought-knot seer was played as a 2-of, and it came up about 1/3 of the games, it was hard to really assess if I needed it, but it definitely provided a clock for when i didn't have the mentor beats going.
    Freebooter MB or SB?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

@mambosong how are you sideboarding? Sometimes it’s obvious but against something like grixis what are you shaving?

I went 4-0 with my first test run of the deck at a local event.

Beat UR Delver / Death & Taxes / Esper Deathblade and Czech Pile.

List I played was as follows:

2 Plains
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Scrubland
    2 Ancient Den
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    2 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

Sideboard
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Disenchant
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Karakas

Deck felt great I see alot of lists with fetches over cites 3-4 which I disagree with fast mana is the basis of the deck and I want as many of those effects as possible.

Ancient Den was great with Mox and 2 plains was enough basic imo. Could see moving the Karkas main deck but not sure yet.

Sideboard EE was excellent - canonist and swords didn't do much for me and I think I am going to swap them for 2x Orzhov Pontiff and 2x Sanctum Prelate (Both human for cavern) as boardwipe and chalice 5-6.

Playing in a larger tournament this weekend so will report after that.

I've recently switched to this archetype and I still don't understand why people prefer the black list. I'm 12-2 in matches at my local with the red version. Bob seems to either die early or take too much time while recruiter gets me exactly what I need to win. For reference my sideboard is almost all 1-ofs except for 3 bloodmoon which has really helped in the Eldrazi matchup. Don't forget that this deck doesn't mulligan well, so adding 4 turn 1 win cards against the most played decks is much needed consistency. Not only has Bloodmoon dominated certain matches but tutoring for Maniac Vandal and Faerie Macabre, ect., has been the difference between victory and defeat too many times. Also, with recruiters against decks like storm/Sneak I feel more comfortable shaving ballistas for SideBoard cards.

That said, I think Orzhov Pontiff is amazing and would like to test 4 SB cabal therapy in a build with 4 probes.
    Team Awesome: Busting Toilets since 2009
    Meth!

Quote Originally Posted by That nice guy View Post
    I've recently switched to this archetype and I still don't understand why people prefer the black list. I'm 12-2 in matches at my local with the red version.
    If Imperial Recruiter wasn't so expensive more people would probably be testing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    If Imperial Recruiter wasn't so expensive more people would probably be testing it out.
    It only runs 2, and you're already piloting 4 LED
    Team Awesome: Busting Toilets since 2009
    Meth!

Thread Information