Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Re: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    The 8th Bauble is beginning to feel like too much air. Experimenting with replacing it with a 3rd Recruiter.
    What about a MB Engineered Explosives?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

Well, Attempted Rationalism at least.
    May 2015
    King County

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    What about a MB Engineered Explosives?

It's generally been awkward as a reactive card in a combo deck with a very finite supply of natural colored mana, and plenty of 0-Cost artifacts and tokens of its own, but testing never hurts.

May 2015
    King County

Tamura Hajime came in 10th at Eternal Weekend Japan with the following list:

-------------------------------------------------

3《オーリオックの廃品回収者/Auriok Salvagers》
    2《練達飛行機械職人、サイ/Sai, Master Thopterist》
    4《歩行バリスタ/Walking Ballista》

4《オパールのモックス/Mox Opal》
    4《ライオンの瞳のダイアモンド/Lion's Eye Diamond》
    4《虚空の杯/Chalice of the Void》
    4《ディミーアの印鑑/Dimir Signet》
    4《アンティキティー戦争/The Antiquities War》
    4《直観/Intuition》
    1《アズカンタの探索/Search for Azcanta》
    3《ウルザの後継、カーン/Karn, Scion of Urza》
    1《掘葬の儀式/Unburial Rites》
    1《木端+微塵/Cut+Ribbons》
    1《Lodestone Bauble》

4《古えの居住地/Ancient Den》
    4《教議会の座席/Seat of the Synod》
    4《古えの墳墓/Ancient Tomb》
    4《空僻地/Glimmervoid》
    3《裏切り者の都/City of Traitors》
    1《産業の塔/Spire of Industry》

サイドボード
    1《孤独の都/City of Solitude》
    4《虚空の力線/Leyline of the Void》
    2《Helm of Obedience》
    2《仕組まれた爆薬/Engineered Explosives》
    1《古えの遺恨/Ancient Grudge》
    1《仕組まれた疫病/Engineered Plague》
    1《天啓の光/Ray of Revelation》
    1《罠の橋/Ensnaring Bridge》
    1《窒息/Choke》
    1《魔術遠眼鏡/Sorcerous Spyglass》

-------------------------------------------------

This list is pretty interesting. Reminds me a little of the historic lists some pages back, as well as Bahra's Artifact Control brews. Without Monastery Mentor increasing the value of Salvagers, the fact that it still includes Sai is a particularly bold choice.

Glimmervoid to help support Choke, Ancient Grudge ... City of Solitude? Only 1 Bauble - Intuition - Unburial Rites? - Very spicy all the way around.

No one man should have so much spice. My lord. I don't even know how they do it. It's like a top-down vs bottom-up deckbuilding philosophical paradigm shift that's instilled at birth.

May 2015
    King County

So only been testing it for two weeks, but -1 Bauble +1 Recruiter to up the creature count to 18 seems to be a positive change in the Humans list, bringing me to

4x Monastery Mentor
    4x Auriok Salvager
    4x Dark Confidant
    3x Imperial Recruiter
    2x Trinket Mage
    1x Walking Ballista

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Mox Opal
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Urza's Bauble
    2x Mishra's Bauble
    1x Lodestone Bauble

4x Unclaimed Territory
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    2x Remote Farm
    1x Spire of Industry
    1x Inventors' Fair

SB:

3x Quicksmith Rebel
    3x Sanctum Prelate
    2x Manic Vandal
    2x Warping Wail
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant
    1x Containment Priest
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Sorcerous Spyglass
    1x Surge Node

Current most suspect card is the 2nd Warping Wail, so I may experiment with some other cards in that slot.

Wish I could squeeze a decent recurring looting effect in the maindeck even as just a 5th Confidant, but I've goldfished some experiments along those lines in a draw simulator and it's always been awkward.

I also may want to test - 1 Mishra's B. +1 Lodestone B. The initial Lodestone Bauble was a concession to the need for Trinket Mage to fetch a mana spout that won instantly while also turning on an Opal, with the ability to bypass Glacial Chasm / Leyline of Sanctity purely as a bonus. That need is met by only the first inclusion, but with respect to balancing the 1 mana with the extra turn of clock I don't have the experience to be confident that only 1 copy is correct. I suspect it is, but I haven't actually experimented with a 2nd.

Nothing anywhere near as spicy as the Japanese list, but if anyone wants to try the Japanese list, I'd be curious to hear if the Unburial Rites is anything more than cute.

Dec 2016
    Portland, ME

It's generally been awkward as a reactive card in a combo deck with a very finite supply of natural colored mana, and plenty of 0-Cost artifacts and tokens of its own, but testing never hurts.
    I run two main. I previously only ran one, but I find it to be highly effective at removing hate that might impede us, such as main deck pithing needle or a revoker. It is also a "free" prowess trigger in a pinch and provides a way to wipe the board (removing all permanents on 1, 2, 3 and 5) if it is not possible to win immediately. EE is one of the only ways to catch back up if we are behind in certain matchups. Running at least one is a great idea for two-color, non-human builds because there is more reliable colored mana available.

GP Richmond report:

4 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    1 Plains
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Walking Ballista

Sideboard:
    3 Aura of Silence
    3 Containment Priest
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Tormod's Crypt

The list hasn't changed much recently (the maindeck not at all) although I've spent the last couple months trying lots of things leading up to the GP. The latest change was swapping 2 Seal of Cleansing and the Disenchant/Cast Out slot for 3 Aura of Silence. I'm even worse against opposing Chalice decks with this change (costing 1 more AND needing double white) but these matchups were so bad that I'm fine planning to dodge chalices and increasing my power level vs the remaining field.
    Aura fills the same role as Seal - handling Needle effects, equipment, Eidolons, and RiP/Leyline, and also comes in vs Chalice despite the note above. It also makes all of those things cost more to play while taxing lots of random other things too... 4-mana Baleful Strixes aren't nearly as good. My favorite interaction has been making Engineered Explosives on 0 next to impossible to play - a card that was previously a huge blowout in their favor. The 3cmc makes Aura more likely than a Seal to resolve through a Counterbalance.

So yeah, trading points vs MonoR Stompy, Steel Stompy, and Aggro Loam for points vs Grixis Control and Miracles. I think Eldrazi stays pretty much unchanged since they're still very dead to Ensnaring Bridge. Looking back at what I played, what my friends played, and the published lists, this was definitely the right call. (I didn't see a single MonoR, Steel Stompy, or Aggro Loam anywhere near me).

R1 Burn
    Game 1 I get Chalice on 1 then Chalice on 2. Karnstructs then wall his creatures until I have enough to start attacking with them. On the last two turns I decide to do nothing with Karn, rather than +1 and reveal more cards to my opponent.
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +3 Aura of Silence (Answers to Eidolon and boarded-in Pyrostatic Pillars)
    -1 Ancient Tomb (I shave an Ancient Tomb in this matchup because you can't win if you draw and have to use 2 of them)
    -2 Urza's Bauble
    -1 Lodestone Bauble (I don't like this as a win-con since they can draw their deck and fire off their Lightning Bolts, PoP's, and Fireblasts with lethal bauble triggers on the stack)
    -1 Monastery Mentor
    Game 2 he curves out while I have a Swords to Plowshares that can't kill an Eidolon while I have Chalice on 1 in play
    Game 3 he has an Eidolon and a Goblin Guide in play, and is tapped out (2 mountains) and missed his 3rd land drop. I have Ballista with 1 counter, 2 LED's, and a Petal in play while I'm at 16.
    I tapout my lands to play Salvagers with his most likely interaction being Fireblast. I figure, if I go for it and Salvagers get killed in response to targeting an LED, I'll crack the other LED, target it, have 2 floating, Salvagers dies, replay both LED's (go to 12 on Eidolon triggers), crack both (8 floating) to pump Ballista to 3/3. That gives me a creature that safely blocks or can remove Eidolon on demand, while he has no lands.
    My opponent tanks and then ultimately Fireblasts the Ballista. Ballista grows, kills Eidolon on his way out, and then we combo.
    (1-0)

R2 Burn
    Game 1 goes the same as Game 1 above, 2 Chalices and beatdown.
    same SB plan as above
    Game 2 an Aura of Silence makes him pay 4 for an Eidolon before killing said Eidolon so that I can keep digging with baubles, but can't stablize or find the combo before getting burned out.
    Game 3 an Aura of Silence picks off a Pyrostatic Pillar so I can combo off.
    (2-0)

I'm hopeful I've played my way out of the burn bracket since it's not a matchup I like even though I'm not sure who is favored, if anyone even is favored.

R3 Sneak and Show
    Game 1 I combo with Lodestone Bauble and loop 100 times. This ended up being a mistake in that my opponent then spent ten minutes trying not to die to the triggers in his upkeep by drawing down to 3 cards, Brainstorming Emrakuls to his library, having his own counter war then Intuitioning to get the reshuffle. He was ultimately no where close to being able to survive 100 bauble triggers, but it was close enough for him to waste both our time... I'll be naming a million in the future.
    +3 Containment Priest
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge
    +3 Aura of Silence
    -4 Monastery Mentor
    -4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    Game 2 I forget to attack once with my Containment Priest (the first turn it could've attacked) and I eventually lose to Arcane Aritsan when they're at 2. It could've mattered, but the opponent isn't going from 2 to 0 with his Ancient Tomb (he went from 4 to 2 this game from his Ancient Tomb) so I'm unsure if I cost myself the game. Definitely a mistake though.
    Game 3 we're both playing rushed because of the huge time-waste from game 1. I remember wanting to bring Mentors back in for game 3 on the play but instead didn't reSB. I got turn-1'd, Show into Omniscience into Griselbrand into draw 7 into Emrakul.
    (2-1)

R4 Grixis Delver
    Game 1 I lose a grindy game in which he had the necesary answers while a turn-1 delver beats down each turn.
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge
    -1 Monastery Mentor
    -1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -1 Auriok Salvagers
    It's pretty obvious I don't know the best way to board here. Shaving 4 drops vs Wastelands makes sense, and then also hedging vs Dread of Night by shaving a Mentor, and hedging vs discard+Surgical by shaving an LED. Yeah, I'm still not sure how to board this matchup, but this is what I did.
    Game 2 I quickly start to feel demoralized as he has another perfect start and I'm resigned to going to 2-2 in the tournament, but am able to draw lands to rebound from the multiple Wastelands, and after a couple resolved Karns later, I've managed to even the match.
    Game 3 is when he finally has a mediocre draw and spends his turns cantripping into lands and cantrips. I end up swarming with monks for the match.
    (3-1)

R5 Sneak and Show
    Game 1 I manage to steal after they Show in an Omniscience, draw down to 6 life but can't find an Emrakul. My Chalice on 1 stops him from cantripping and Karakas stops Griselbrand from dealing damage and letting him draw 7 again. I get 2 Karnstructs to 6 power and can then use the Karakas on my turn after blocks to stop the lifegain from blocking 1 and the other squeaking through for lethal.
    Same +/- as R3
    Game 2 I mulligan to a 5 with Bridge and combo pieces but only 1 land. I play out 2 LEDs (I don't have Mentors in the deck). He casts Sneak Attack with a Lotus Petal but doesn't have any more red. I pass and he follows up with a Show and Tell. I think for a minute and decide to put in Salvagers. He puts in Griselbrand and draws 7 once (he had used Tomb a couple times and didn't want to go to 2 I guess). He didn't find Petal AND Emrakul because he passes. I draw a City of Traitors, play it and lead on Bridge to bait a counterspell, a FoW putting him at 8. Then I crack an LED, target it with with Salvagers and he draws another 7 (down to 1 life). He Echoing Truths my Salvagers, and I crack the other LED (now 4 floating). Echo resovles, LED comes to hand, play it and Salvagers and combo him -- he had the second FoW, but couldn't cast it at 1 life.
    (4-1)

R6 Death and Taxes
    Game 1 I have one of those draws that mimics Eldrazi and he plays a Prelate choosing 2 (whew! Crisis averted!). The game takes 30 mintues as he's activating 3 Ports on my upkeep and later has 3 Revokers in play naming LED, Walking Ballista, and Karn. He also has the StP for a Mentor every time I find and play one, but the monks and worthless Ballistas let me chump his Mirran Crusader equipped with SoFaI. Eventually he finds a flier and the game ends immediately.
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +3 Aura of Silence
    +3 Containment Priest (this seems mediocre, but shutting off their instant speed interaction means StP is the only not-in-play way to answer the combo. It also shuts off Recruiter/Flickerwisp loops)
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -2 Auriok Salvagers
    -2 Lion's Eye Diamond (Karns and Mentors and Ballistas are so good in the matchup, while comboing is difficult enough that I think shaving combo is correct. I wouldn't fault you if you wanted to cut all the LEDs and keep Salvagers, or 3/1 split, but I like still having the possibility of comboing in SB games)
    Game 2 I mulligan to oblivion. :(
    (4-2)

R7 Turbo Depths
    Game 1 He shreds my hand and I die to a 20/20 in short order.
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge
    +3 Aura of Silence
    +2 Tormod's Crypt (I don't know his deck well, but brought these in to protect myself from Surgical Extractions I figured he would have as they would be very good against me with all the discard)
    -4 Monastery Mentor
    -4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    -1 Cavern of Souls
    Game 2 I'm able to buy a turn by killing a Vampire Hexmage with a Ballista and then I slow combo, drawing down to 4 cards left in my library. Down to 3 after my draw for turn, and then I'm in this recurring awkard position of having to slow-roll my opponent while I try to play around anything ticky... it usually goes: play your Petals, play Opals one at a time, putting Chalices into play on the numbers that might matter, and also getting a small Walking Ballista into play (you can also play another Salvagers here if you need to after a slow combo turn, and you can replay it with Cavern too if that matters). But he doesn't have anything and just wanted to the information.
    Game 3 I mulligan into a great hand that's just a little light on mana. I have an Aura of Silence but after he gets a Needle in play naming Salvagers (he recognized earlier that Lodestone Bauble is also a win-con on combo tunrs). I don't know if the Aura of Silence prevented any more needle effects, or if he didn't have any, but I draw the missing lands and then topdeck a Salvagers for the win.
    (5-2)

R8 Sneak and Show
    Game 1 I steal another pre-board game vs Sneak and Show with a Karakas and Karnstructs.
    Game 2 a quick loss to Sneak Attack after having a Bridge countered. I also saw a Wipe Away off a bauble, so he's not dead to a Bridge + Chalice on 2 like most Sneak and Show players are.
    Game 3 my early Containment Priest is answered by an Abrade, but otherwise he's just cantripping while I'm slowtripping. I have about 7 draws over 3 turns that just need to find a Salvagers (I have the Cavern on Human already) but cannot before he finds the extra red mana (or Bloodmoon would've done it) to double activate Sneak to get his Emrakul through my Karakas. Dead. Top card is Salvages. I am sad.
    (5-3)

May 2015
    King County

Quote Originally Posted by f7eleven View Post
    Game 1 I combo with Lodestone Bauble and loop 100 times. This ended up being a mistake in that my opponent then spent ten minutes trying not to die to the triggers in his upkeep by drawing down to 3 cards, Brainstorming Emrakuls to his library, having his own counter war then Intuitioning to get the reshuffle. He was ultimately no where close to being able to survive 100 bauble triggers, but it was close enough for him to waste both our time... I'll be naming a million in the future.
    I had never actually seen nor thought of this particular interaction being attempted. Thank you for the lesson.

May 2015
    King County

So I feel like further brewing here might be a little hasty until we see exactly what this card does to the format.

So I feel like further brewing here might be a little hasty until we see exactly what this card does to the format.
    Probably bad for us? Seems like turbo-xerox will come back since 3+ cmc permanents are bad again. Except we can't capitalize on that with our Chalices since there'll be more BUG decks with Trophy/Decay main.

Finally got around to testing Magus of the Balance last night, but bad luck (and 1 misplay) put me at 2-2 for the night.

List:

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Monastery Mentor
    1 Magus of the Balance
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Plains
    2 Karakas
    2 Inventors' Fair
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza

Sideboard:
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Magus of the Balance
    1 Cast Out
    2 Seal of Cleansing
    3 Swords to Plowshares

R1: BANT TNN/KoTR 1-0

pretty easy 2 games, I t1 ballista a bop, and then race a tnn with mentor & friends, in the other game I comboed off unopposed

R2: "Earth Miracles" aka astral slide 2-0

astral slide + sundial of the infinite is a sweet combo -- he also had lightning rift. g1 he slide + sundial exiled my salvagers, but that tapped him out and i topdecked an LED to go along with a 2nd salvagers under Karn to win. Which is lucky since I don't think the deck can realistically win vs slide + sundial preboard. g2 i cast t2 karn and started downticking but he pressured me with a flickerwisp putting me to 5 before he had to start chumping my karnstructs + mentor beats -- he was digging for terminus but didnt find it

R3: RUG Delver 2-1

When the deck stumbles, RUG delver can capitalize hard. Mulliganed all 3 games, and just kept bricking at all the wrong times. Drew a bunch of lands, never really saw any threats, and baubles all drew into nothing. Sad times.

R4: Storm 2-2

Mulliganed all 3 games again, and sadly punted g1. Got a t2 chalice on 1, but was trying to find a threat to close out the game and baubled him when my board was opal/tomb/fair/plains/bauble/chalice. The bauble and next 2 drawsteps whiffed on artifacts so I couldn't activate my fair to go get/cast a chalice on 2 and really seal up the game. This let him go cabal rit -> ad naus and he was able to find a bunch of LEDs/Infernal Tutors to win.

G2 was easy with chalice on 1 into t2 mentor & friends. hard to lose that

g3 again had chalice on t1 mentor on t2 but eot hurkyls into a ad naus ended my night

---

I only cast Magus of the Balance once and that was g1 vs Storm. Had I untapped with it it would've been pretty decent to mind twist him, but that would've also wiped out my clock. I would've liked to have tested it more, but like AR said, the meta is about to shift so it's probably time to put this deck down again for a bit. Cheers!

May 2015
    King County

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    Probably bad for us?
    Quite bad. It's instant speed removal for Salvagers (presumably placed on the stack after we discard our hand) that gets around Chalice on 1 and also can Ghost Quarter us. If the card becomes prevalent, there's no way I see it not affecting any optimized build in this archetype. The silver lining is that if it becomes a common staple, it likely shifts the format in a direction that's good for us with respect to other decks, but even that doesn't really make up for how strongly it shifts the BUG matchups towards the opponent.

What role at what prominence the card ends up having in the format I certainly can't say, but I'm already stockpiling a list of everything I can think of that answers it with any efficiency empty-handed, and identifying which slots main and side are the most expendable to concessions to this card. I feel like it's just wait-and-see at this point, and then figuring out the best way to adapt.

It is undoubtedly net bad-news, however.

Dec 2016
    Portland, ME

It is undoubtedly net bad-news, however.
    Definitely, but post-board it makes Prelate better. I currently run two and I might go up to three. The decks that will run AT are likely to be Aggro Loam, Maverick, and possibly some type of BUG control. Those are decks that were already running Abrupt Decay and/or Punishing Fire, which already incentivized bringing in Prelate and putting it on two. Yes, killing Auriok sucks, but I feel like we are already living in that world with Snuff Out and Dismember being more prevalent. I think builds that are less trying to just jam the combo and play a bit more fair are good options. I still think W/B is the best build because Bob is just a card advantage machine in the deck that can fuel mentor and lead to situations in which an opponent cannot hope to win by just preventing the combo. I think the red recruiter builds will be worse for that reason because finding and jamming Auriok with a Chalice on 1 is not the auto-win it has been in the past. I think AT also makes Karn slightly worse given that it can be ATed, which is a poor exchange for us. Anyways, those are my initial thoughts. I am curious to see if any BUG archetypes makes a resurgence. We shall see.

I haven't played any legacy since GP Richmond, but went to MTGFirst's Quest for Power this weekend. We had 50-something players, 6 rounds of swiss before cut, with a Time Walk to 1st and the rest of top 8 getting various duals.

I played the same main deck I've been on for months now; mono white all 4-of's except the 1x Lodestone Bauble. Ethersworn Canonist was the only card I never brought in at the GP, and storm seems dead at the moment, so I knew I wanted to change those 3 slots. I went with a 4th Containment Priest (I was 1-2 vs Show and Tell at the GP), and 2x Sanctum Prelate.

4 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    1 Plains
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Walking Ballista

3 Aura of Silence
    4 Containment Priest
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Tormod's Crypt

Round 1 vs Dredge.
    Game 1 I explode with a Mentor and Monks that are quickly walled by a bunch of zombie tokens. He only has 1x Bridge in the yard after flipping most of his deck, which I nuke with a Ballista to his face. It turns out that the last 3 cards in his deck are Bridges, so he has to draw them and Therapy himself to bin
    them. A timely Chalice shuts off that line and I plan to deck him via blocking his Ichorids, zombies, and returned Grave Troll. He swings for non-lethal and dies on the crack-back though.

+2 Tormod's Crypt
    +4 Containment Priest
    -4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    -1 Cavern of Souls
    -1 Urza's Bauble

Game 2 I keep a seven of Mentor, Balista, Urza's Baulbe, Mishra's Bauble, Tormod's Crypt, and 2x LED. I figure Crypt can buy a turn or two, Ballista can be played for 0 to nuke any Bridges, and if I get to cast the Mentor I'll be able to make a decent number of Monks. I draw an Ancient Den for the turn and play Crypt and Mishra's Bauble. I check the top card of my deck and see City of Traitors, so I don't play the other 0's.

(side note: every once in a while I'll check my next draw with Mishra's Bauble since the information will sometimes change the line you take -- usually when deciding whether to dump multiple baubles and/or whether you want to hold things for Mentor triggers).

He leads with a fair Faithless Looting, putting some dredgers into the yard. The Mentor makes friends while he slow dredges, hitting some Narcomoebas but nothing scary. Monks close the game pretty quickly.
    (another side note: Crypt is really at its best vs Dredge when you never have to use it - just threaten it. I also think this is a pretty good matchup for us, being able to match, or at least stave off, their token army with our own, backed by a combo kill. ...and Ballista's to exile Bridges)
    1-0

Round 2 vs D&T
    Triple Wasteland and a naturally drawn Prelate on 0 gives him game 1.
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +4 Containment Priest
    +3 Aura of Silence
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -2 Auriok Salvagers
    -3 Lion's Eye Diamond

Again - Priest shuts off their vials (obv), but also shuts off their Recruiter/Flickerwisp chains. It's also an unexpected blocker for their Revoker to unlock your Ballista. And vs D&T in general, make sure you plus your Karn to 6 vs a vial on 3 since an instant Wisp to exile the token and then kill Karn is a blowout.

Game 2 he has a Prelate on 0 again along with a Revoker on Ballista. At one point one of us offers a trade of my Priest for his Revoker, and I either jump at the opportunity, or he mistakenly accepts. This lets me follow up with a Ballista to kill the Prelate and my hand is unlocked for a fair kill.

Game 3 he has Rest in Peace but not much else. Another fair kill with Mentor and Karn.
    2-0

Round 3 vs D&T again
    On the play game 1 I keep a hand of mana and 4 baubles (one of which is Lodestone). He leads on Vial and I crack all 4 baubles and find a Salvers for the sneaky (ie., Lodestone) turn-2 kill.

same SB as last round

Game 2 I swords a Stoneforge Mystic and an Aura of Silence makes him pay 4 for his Jitte which gets blown up with Aura when he equips next turn. 2x Karn's pump out 7/7's for a win.
    3-0

Round 4 vs Lands
    Game 1 he has turn-1 2x Mox, 2x Exploration, Waste & Loam. Oof. I'm still live to find running Lotus Petals though since I have all the combo pieces and a sol land in hand. I play out my non-sol lands to be wasted, but I also name Eldrazi on my Cavern, and when I discard to hand size, Chalice is what discard. This goes on for several turns until he finds his combo lands before I find petals.

+2 Ensnaring Bridge
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Sanctum Prelate
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    -4 Monastery Mentor
    -4 Karn, Scion o Urza
    (we're all-in on combo and everything that comes in is to buy us time. I don't bring in Aura of Silence since I'm almost certain he thinks I'm on Eldrazi and won't be bringing in Spheres)

Game 2 I combo on turn 4
    +3 Aura of Slince (ok, NOW they come in)
    -1 Mox Opal
    -1 Walking Ballista
    -1 Urza's Bauble

Game 3 he Gambles for a Sphere of Resistance and plays it. I get out 2 Bridges that hold off his Depths and I play Prelates and Ballistas into Molten Vortex hoping to run him out of lands while a Chalice on 2 has Loam covered. He copies Ports and taps my white every turn. Many turns of paying 1 for Baubles and Petals while trying to find Aura before he finds 2x KGrip or second Sphere.
    When I find an Aura of Silence I know 4 of the 6 cards in his hand from a combination of Loam and Baubles and go for it (as time is called). I blow up Sphere and play 3 Opals as Petals, play Salvagers and he Crop Rotations for Glacial Chasm. Only one unknown in hand now! So I discard my hand of other Salvagers and StP's to make infinite mana and sneaky kill him with Lodestone :)
    4-0

Double draw into top 8 as the 5th seed.

Quarter Finals vs UW Delver
    Game 1 he has answers for everything the first few turns and I only have a mid-game Chalice on 1 in play. He Brainstorms with Jace, the Mind Sculptor for a few turns before I finally find a Salvagers right when I have to go for it (dead on board otherwise). The Salvagers is uncounterable from Cavern but I don't have the extra mana to double activate and am resigned to losing to FoW or double Daze on LED. I whiff on my Chalice trigger when he only has Spell Pierce for the LED. Oof. Thinking I was dead to countermagic was absolutely the wrong mindset, and I definitely fucked myself with that thought stuck in my head. What a time to miss my only tigger on the day (0 missed Chalice, Bauble, or Mentor triggers otherwise). Luckily I'm able to reassure myself that I'm still in it and am quickly out of the 30-second tilt as I go to sideboard.
    +2 Sanctum Prelate
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +3 Aura of Silence

Game 2 I'm ahead on board form a Karn that stuck for a few turns. There is a turn where I draw my second white source and decide to play Sanctum Prelate instead of the Aura of Silence in my hand. Was thinking, if the Prelate sticks, it'll shut off a potential Spell Pierce on the enchantment. An Engineered Explosives for 0 instantly makes me regret that decision. I lose practically everything; Contsrtucts, a Ballista, an Opal, an LED, a left over Monk token... everything but the Prelate.

Womp Womp.. oh well. better to go out making mistakes I will hopefully learn from, rather than shit luck or mulliganing to oblivion. I take store credit over the dual and pick up playsets of Grindstone, Painter's Servant, and Imperial Recruiter - so maybe you'll see me over in the Shortcake thread. :)

If were taking this deck into an important tournament tomorrow I wouldn't change a card, though I think the 4th Priest in the SB can be considered a flex slot. I liked the Prelates. I still love the Aura of Silences.

I haven't played any legacy since GP Richmond, but went to MTGFirst's Quest for Power this weekend. We had 50-something players, 6 rounds of swiss before cut, with a Time Walk to 1st and the rest of top 8 getting various duals.

I played the same main deck I've been on for months now; mono white all 4-of's except the 1x Lodestone Bauble. Ethersworn Canonist was the only card I never brought in at the GP, and storm seems dead at the moment, so I knew I wanted to change those 3 slots. I went with a 4th Containment Priest (I was 1-2 vs Show and Tell at the GP), and 2x Sanctum Prelate.

4 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    1 Plains
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Walking Ballista

3 Aura of Silence
    4 Containment Priest
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Tormod's Crypt

Round 1 vs Dredge.
    Game 1 I explode with a Mentor and Monks that are quickly walled by a bunch of zombie tokens. He only has 1x Bridge in the yard after flipping most of his deck, which I nuke with a Ballista to his face. It turns out that the last 3 cards in his deck are Bridges, so he has to draw them and Therapy himself to bin
    them. A timely Chalice shuts off that line and I plan to deck him via blocking his Ichorids, zombies, and returned Grave Troll. He swings for non-lethal and dies on the crack-back though.

+2 Tormod's Crypt
    +4 Containment Priest
    -4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    -1 Cavern of Souls
    -1 Urza's Bauble

Game 2 I keep a seven of Mentor, Balista, Urza's Baulbe, Mishra's Bauble, Tormod's Crypt, and 2x LED. I figure Crypt can buy a turn or two, Ballista can be played for 0 to nuke any Bridges, and if I get to cast the Mentor I'll be able to make a decent number of Monks. I draw an Ancient Den for the turn and play Crypt and Mishra's Bauble. I check the top card of my deck and see City of Traitors, so I don't play the other 0's.

(side note: every once in a while I'll check my next draw with Mishra's Bauble since the information will sometimes change the line you take -- usually when deciding whether to dump multiple baubles and/or whether you want to hold things for Mentor triggers).

He leads with a fair Faithless Looting, putting some dredgers into the yard. The Mentor makes friends while he slow dredges, hitting some Narcomoebas but nothing scary. Monks close the game pretty quickly.
    (another side note: Crypt is really at its best vs Dredge when you never have to use it - just threaten it. I also think this is a pretty good matchup for us, being able to match, or at least stave off, their token army with our own, backed by a combo kill. ...and Ballista's to exile Bridges)
    1-0

Round 2 vs D&T
    Triple Wasteland and a naturally drawn Prelate on 0 gives him game 1.
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +4 Containment Priest
    +3 Aura of Silence
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -2 Auriok Salvagers
    -3 Lion's Eye Diamond

Again - Priest shuts off their vials (obv), but also shuts off their Recruiter/Flickerwisp chains. It's also an unexpected blocker for their Revoker to unlock your Ballista. And vs D&T in general, make sure you plus your Karn to 6 vs a vial on 3 since an instant Wisp to exile the token and then kill Karn is a blowout.

Game 2 he has a Prelate on 0 again along with a Revoker on Ballista. At one point one of us offers a trade of my Priest for his Revoker, and I either jump at the opportunity, or he mistakenly accepts. This lets me follow up with a Ballista to kill the Prelate and my hand is unlocked for a fair kill.

Game 3 he has Rest in Peace but not much else. Another fair kill with Mentor and Karn.
    2-0

Round 3 vs D&T again
    On the play game 1 I keep a hand of mana and 4 baubles (one of which is Lodestone). He leads on Vial and I crack all 4 baubles and find a Salvers for the sneaky (ie., Lodestone) turn-2 kill.

same SB as last round

Game 2 I swords a Stoneforge Mystic and an Aura of Silence makes him pay 4 for his Jitte which gets blown up with Aura when he equips next turn. 2x Karn's pump out 7/7's for a win.
    3-0

Round 4 vs Lands
    Game 1 he has turn-1 2x Mox, 2x Exploration, Waste & Loam. Oof. I'm still live to find running Lotus Petals though since I have all the combo pieces and a sol land in hand. I play out my non-sol lands to be wasted, but I also name Eldrazi on my Cavern, and when I discard to hand size, Chalice is what discard. This goes on for several turns until he finds his combo lands before I find petals.

+2 Ensnaring Bridge
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Sanctum Prelate
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    -4 Monastery Mentor
    -4 Karn, Scion o Urza
    (we're all-in on combo and everything that comes in is to buy us time. I don't bring in Aura of Silence since I'm almost certain he thinks I'm on Eldrazi and won't be bringing in Spheres)

Game 2 I combo on turn 4
    +3 Aura of Slince (ok, NOW they come in)
    -1 Mox Opal
    -1 Walking Ballista
    -1 Urza's Bauble

Game 3 he Gambles for a Sphere of Resistance and plays it. I get out 2 Bridges that hold off his Depths and I play Prelates and Ballistas into Molten Vortex hoping to run him out of lands while a Chalice on 2 has Loam covered. He copies Ports and taps my white every turn. Many turns of paying 1 for Baubles and Petals while trying to find Aura before he finds 2x KGrip or second Sphere.
    When I find an Aura of Silence I know 4 of the 6 cards in his hand from a combination of Loam and Baubles and go for it (as time is called). I blow up Sphere and play 3 Opals as Petals, play Salvagers and he Crop Rotations for Glacial Chasm. Only one unknown in hand now! So I discard my hand of other Salvagers and StP's to make infinite mana and sneaky kill him with Lodestone :)
    4-0

Double draw into top 8 as the 5th seed.

Quarter Finals vs UW Delver
    Game 1 he has answers for everything the first few turns and I only have a mid-game Chalice on 1 in play. He Brainstorms with Jace, the Mind Sculptor for a few turns before I finally find a Salvagers right when I have to go for it (dead on board otherwise). The Salvagers is uncounterable from Cavern but I don't have the extra mana to double activate and am resigned to losing to FoW or double Daze on LED. I whiff on my Chalice trigger when he only has Spell Pierce for the LED. Oof. Thinking I was dead to countermagic was absolutely the wrong mindset, and I definitely fucked myself with that thought stuck in my head. What a time to miss my only tigger on the day (0 missed Chalice, Bauble, or Mentor triggers otherwise). Luckily I'm able to reassure myself that I'm still in it and am quickly out of the 30-second tilt as I go to sideboard.
    +2 Sanctum Prelate
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +3 Aura of Silence

Game 2 I'm ahead on board form a Karn that stuck for a few turns. There is a turn where I draw my second white source and decide to play Sanctum Prelate instead of the Aura of Silence in my hand. Was thinking, if the Prelate sticks, it'll shut off a potential Spell Pierce on the enchantment. An Engineered Explosives for 0 instantly makes me regret that decision. I lose practically everything; Contsrtucts, a Ballista, an Opal, an LED, a left over Monk token... everything but the Prelate.

Womp Womp.. oh well. better to go out making mistakes I will hopefully learn from, rather than shit luck or mulliganing to oblivion. I take store credit over the dual and pick up playsets of Grindstone, Painter's Servant, and Imperial Recruiter - so maybe you'll see me over in the Shortcake thread. :)

If were taking this deck into an important tournament tomorrow I wouldn't change a card, though I think the 4th Priest in the SB can be considered a flex slot. I liked the Prelates. I still love the Aura of Silences.

Play the same list with diferent SB. What is your side in/out plan againt: grixis control, MonoU omnitell, miracles and death shadow ?

Quote Originally Posted by cris_rj View Post
    Play the same list with diferent SB. What is your side in/out plan againt: grixis control, MonoU omnitell, miracles and death shadow ?
    vs Grixis Control I like keeping in the Chalices and making them KCommand them if they want to play 1's. Aura of Silence fucks with their Strixes, but also picks off a Needle/Null Rod. I don't think they should bring in Blood Moon, but they have been in my experience, so Silence can help there too. Cavern is really important in the matchup, as is playing around Diabolic Edict. Tormod's Crypt does double duty, stopping a blowout Snapcaster, or protecting yourself from a Surgical Extraction. Also keep tabs on their graveyard count since you can pop a Crypt to delay an Angler for a few turns. Extraction is the main reason I keep in Chalice since Extraction + Discard is pretty good vs us. Generally, if I get the sense they are not familiar with our deck, and if we finish game 1 without showing any Mentors, I'll keep them in for game 2 - but if we do show Mentor (especially if it crushes them, I'll take them out for game 2 since then I expect they'll bring in some of Dread of Night/Marsh Casualties/Toxic Deluge.

in a vacuum though:
    +3 Aura of Silence
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    and then shave on non-Karn's
    -1 Mentor
    -1 Salvagers
    -1 LED
    -1 Urza's Bauble
    -1 Mox Opal

vs monoU Omnitell they are also often cold to a Bridge + Chalice on 2, unless they have Wipe Away or Rushing River. A Chalice on 3 is also insane, shutting off Show and Tell and Cunning Wish for answers to it, so it's worth shutting off our own 3's I think. So Prelate comes in to help with that plan. Aura of Silence can be decent if their plan is Show in Omniscience and then cantrip - I think most are even cutting the Trickbind from their wish board too. Since we're not siding out all of our beaters like we do vs Sneak (omni is slower) Aura could also remove our own Bridge so we can swing for lethal. I don't think we want Priest since Emrakul is their backup plan, and we have Bridge and Karakas for that line, but I'm not sure.

+2 Prelate
    +2 Bridge
    +2 Aura of Silence
    -3 Karn
    -1 Walking Ballista (unless they're playing Strixes, and shave a Mentor instead)
    -1 Urza's Bauble
    -1 Plains

vs Miracles Aura of Silence is awesome to slow down and answer Counterbalance, Back to Basics, Engineered Explosives, etc. Prelate is another way to protect Salvagers on a combo turn, or prevent Terminus if you're beating down. Spamming tokens with Mentor/Karn isn't great vs their sweepers, but you need them to answer an opposing Mentor.

+2 Prelate
    +3 Aura of Silence
    -1 Karn
    -1 Mentor
    -1 LED
    -1 Salvagers
    -1 Walking Ballista

vs Death's Shadow Mentor is a liability as it get's answered by Dread of Night, and worse, can be Reanimated by them (the latter being VERY bad for us). Aura of Silence isn't great but they are the deck to most likely have Null Rod, and they may bring in strixes if you beat down in game 1.
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Bridge
    +2 Aura of Silence (if you win game 1, you can wait until game 3 to bring these in after figuring out whether they have Null Rod or not).
    -4 Mentor
    -1 Urza's Bauble
    -1 Mox Opal

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

I get to work a different schedule for the next few weeks and will get to play for the first time since before trophy was printed. Is anyone still playing this and is it viable right now?

Once you go Legacy...

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    I get to work a different schedule for the next few weeks and will get to play for the first time since before trophy was printed. Is anyone still playing this and is it viable right now?

http://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan/v/331...?sr=a&t=22699s

That's me!

Awesome, what was your final record for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    Awesome, what was your final record for the day?
    Sadly went 5-0 into 6-3. Currently 67th, but still live for top 32.

On the feature (before the full report comes later).

Game 1 I didn't put him on Show and Tell - I'd only seen Islands and cantrips. If I go for the kill and he counters the replayed LED then kills Salvagers (or worse, Terminuses Salvagers and the Mentor) I'm left with no cards in hand. Karn would stick in that worst case scenario, or could bait a counterspell now. I thought I'd have time to combo the next turn, and the chance to draw another mana source so I can beat a counter. I did make a mistake when I kept Ancient Den over Mentor after the annihilator trigger - and you can see my reaction when I realize that, but the Echoing Truth makes that moot. I made another smaller mistake when I plus'd Karn after attacks, since I could've been given a card for more prowess that turn. I had planned to -2 Karn but changed my mind after attacks.

Game 2 I thought so long about the Salvagers ftw because the two cards I was discarding to LED were Ensnaring Bridge and Cast Out, but ultimately went for it and it worked.

Game 3 I should have played my Priest turn-1 before turning off my opal - or at the very least floated a mana before seeing FoW from Mishra's Bauble. Further along in the game, I was definitely thinking about Kozilek's Return/Pyroclasm, but my hand was nothing but Priests and Ballistas and decided not to play around it in favor of clocking him. Final turn Chalice=1 was bait before the lethal Ballista.

If Hank happens to see this, I want to apologize for the post-match banter of me going over all my mistakes and how badly I played - I'm sure that wasn't pleasant to hear after being eliminated from top 8 contention. Camera jitters are real.

Thread Information