Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

pretty good observation about using dark confidant in maindeck. ~~45 0cc cards in the deck.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    pretty good observation about using dark confidant in maindeck. ~~45 0cc cards in the deck.
    He doesnt just auto tutor the piece you need, but being able to draw an extra card a turn is never a bad option. This line does open you up more to engineered plague on human if people still play that......

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

if i decide to put the deck together again, i'll try a 2-2 split.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by bonkotsu View Post
    He doesnt just auto tutor the piece you need, but being able to draw an extra card a turn is never a bad option. This line does open you up more to engineered plague on human if people still play that......
    EPlague on Human is fine - Mentor makes Monks, not Human Monks ;D

He's a non-discriminatory kinda guy.

Played the w/r version (with 2 imperial recruiter) and the u/w version (trinket mage). Bouth are great decks but marimbondos imperial recruiter (w/r version) its a bit slower because you find auriok scavengers and need an extra turn to set the combo off. When using trinket mage you normally win in the spot wile fining led or walking ballista.

In w/r version I relly liked the 2 magus of the moon sideboard, it's a lock piece against delves decks that are in the meta and can't be countered (cavern of souls).

Going to test a b/w/r (red for sideboard) and see how it feels

Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by cris_rj View Post
    Played the w/r version (with 2 imperial recruiter) and the u/w version (trinket mage). Bouth are great decks but marimbondos imperial recruiter (w/r version) its a bit slower because you find auriok scavengers and need an extra turn to set the combo off. When using trinket mage you normally win in the spot wile fining led or walking ballista.

In w/r version I relly liked the 2 magus of the moon sideboard, it's a lock piece against delves decks that are in the meta and can't be countered (cavern of souls).

Going to test a b/w/r (red for sideboard) and see how it feels
    I think the big boon to Wr is the grind cards you get. Recruiter opens up many more grindy value lines - getting Salvagers and setting up value plays with Baubles, killing an opponent locked out Chalice by tutoring for Mentor to kill them quickly etc. It's definitely more about supporting the value plan. I think it sacrifices the combo speed that Trinket Mage provides and adds a bit more resiliency.

However Nicklas (ItIsUnfair) has been jamming a Thoughtcast build which I like quite a bit. I'd be building it something like this:

Creatures: (13)
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Monastery Mentor
    3 Walking Ballista
    2 Trinket Mage

Non-Creature Spells: (29)
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thoughtcast
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Mox Opal
    1 Engineered Explosives

Lands: (18)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Seat of the Synod
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 Tundra

Sideboard: (15)
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Disenchant
    1 Echoing Truth
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Engineered Explosives

The velocity of Thoughtcast is quite neat, esp with Mentor.

Played this version but I was punished with null rod (delver decks). I'm prefering the b/w version but with some changes (I used Sean's mana base and 2 tundras in the place of 2 plateaus). Gitaxian proble is not good but it's the best cantrip for the deck we have right know. Karakas is really important in my meta against snt and reanimator.

Magus of the moon was a great idea for the side, but when I side in is was normally useless because grixis delver can deal with it. Has anyone played the grixis bomberman Tanaka Mikito played in the last KMC tournament ? I think it's good to contact him because of his records and and inovations in bomberman

Played this version but I was punished with null rod (delver decks). I'm prefering the b/w version but with some changes (I used Sean's mana base and 2 tundras in the place of 2 plateaus). Gitaxian proble is not good but it's the best cantrip for the deck we have right know. Karakas is really important in my meta against snt and reanimator.

Magus of the moon was a great idea for the side, but when I side in is was normally useless because grixis delver can deal with it. Has anyone played the grixis bomberman Tanaka Mikito played in the last KMC tournament ? I think it's good to contact him because of his records and and inovations in bomberman
    Null Rod is basically equivalent to Dredge seeing Leyline of the Void, it's real tough if people have it. :(

Mind linking this Grixis list? The most recent one I remember is the bizarre Esper list with Gifts Ungiven (which was really more of an Esper Chalice Control deck).

Magus I have found okay against Red Delver decks. The key is to force them to burn removal on other threats (Mentor, Big Ballistas, etc.) and then carve the way for either a lock-out or one of your key threats sticking. Magus doesn't auto-win the game (though if you have Chalice, he kind of does), but he ups the number of must-kill threats we have.

I'm not certain the Thoughtcast version is better than the OG version of Tanaka Mikito with Trinket Mage, just due to the stable mana. But I think if you go this direction Red has a few more benefits. Trinket Mage isn't as great as he seems, as finding Salvagers to grind is much more important than finding LED, which is essentially a brick without a Salvagers in play. But that's just my 2c, I'm sure there's a few good SB options from UW that haven't been explored (Meddling Mage + Probe/Baubles sounds really exciting).

Creatures: (14)
    4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Monastery Mentor
    2 Trinket Mage

Non-Creature Spells: (28)
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Lotus Petal

Lands: (18)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Inventors' Fair
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Plains
    2 Tundra

3 Meddling Mage
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Disenchant
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Karakas
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Mage also is really powerful post-board as a permanent-based protection piece when Chalice is unimpressive (eg. vs. Decay decks). There might be something here.

Sorry Sean, I was referring the Esper list and not grixis list as I roted. :) going to test Mb 1 meddling mage in place of 1 ballista. When you side in Gideon ? Against grixis control decks ?

Sorry Sean, I was referring the Esper list and not grixis list as I roted. :) going to test Mb 1 meddling mage in place of 1 ballista. When you side in Gideon ? Against grixis control decks ?
    Mainly against Czech Pile and other controlling decks. You just want to slam bombs until they die as otherwise all their removal lines up quite well vs our threats. Also synergises with Mentor draws quite nicely.

One Mage could be alright, but I think it's better off in the sideboard. Game 1 you just want to combo ASAP and having as many win conditions (especially since you're not running Lodestone Bauble, I imagine) is important.

Another week, another 3-1 for the Bomberman.

4 Walking Ballista
    2 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Auriok Salvagers

Non-Creature Spells: (27)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble

Lands: (19)
    1 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Inventors' Fair
    2 Plains
    2 Plateau

2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Nahiri, the Harbinger

Main changes from last time:

-1 Mox Opal
    +1 Ancient Den

A more stable source of Metalcraft, and stops the clunkiness of multi-Opal hands.

-1 Faerie Macabre
    +1 Tormod's Crypt

Again, trying to make the Metalcraft synergies work a bit better. Suggested by L10, since in the late game will usually just Recruit for Containment Priest anyway.

-1 Lodestone Bauble
    +1 Engineered Explosives

A concession to the D&T matchup and overall just a good card.

In the end, I was really happy with all the changes and things seemed to work together very nicely - stand-outs were definitely the Den and Inventors' Fair who added subtle consistency that was much appreciated.

Round 1: vs. Miracles

Game 1 my opponent holds up Counterspell all game (I have seen from a Bauble) and I cannot jam in my Mentor and am waiting for a Cavern. I hence keep some, but not all, Baubles in hand to cycle. I think this is wrong. I should've slammed Mentor as early as possible and just got my hand churning. Be aggressive. Eventually he taps low for his own Mentor, I Inventors' Fair for Ballista to kill it but he has Force and then I'm dead.

+2 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    -2 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -1 Lodestone Bauble

Game 2 I have Chalice on 1 into Mentor plus cantrips. My opponent has double Mentor, however. I have EE that can clear all the Monks away, but I set it earlier to two just for a Prowess trigger. I think this was wrong. Eventually I have Salvagers + Explosives that could've been great (I had the ability to set it to 3, but was short on mana because I needed to blow it, revive it and then play it again). Anyway, his Mentors go out of control, I die. Boo.

Misplays, misplays, misplays, I feel.

Round 2: vs. RUG Delver

Game 1 I kill a Delver with a Ballista early, Chalice gets countered by Pierce into double Daze, but it carves the way for the combo to get there.

+2 Magus of the Moon
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    -2 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -3 Lodestone Bauble

Game 2 my hand is a bit flooded, and Magus of the Moon comes down. I use Bauble to look at his top cards and see the Bolt. Magus dies and True-Name clocks me while I get Wasted out.

Game 3 I win via too many Mentors just overloading my opponent's removal as they churn out from Cavern. Good times.

Delver decks feel like a very solid matchup, every single threat of ours is absurd against them.

Round 3: vs. Naya Loam

Game 1 my opponent is a dear friend, and Chalice on zeroes me. Nice. I assemble double Mentor to his Goyf, however, and eventually Salvagers joins the party too. I recur dead artifacts and get them countered to get my aggro on, and slam through double Knight and a Goyf.

+2 Disenchant
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Containment Priest
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    +2 Phyrexian Revoker
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -1 Mishra's Bauble

We going for full grind mode here; Chalice on zero means we won't be getting much done. I intended to board in more LEDs OTP (since we can get them through Chalice then).

Game 2 he has Chalice on zero and we grind a bit, exchanging Ballistas for Thalias, Plows for Goyfs/Knights and Explosives that gets Pridemaged. My own Salvagers sadly gets Plowed, otherwise looping Explosives would've put me in a great spot to keep clearing his board. The board stalls, my opponent assembles Marit Lage and I'm dead.

-2 Tormod's Crypt
    +2 Lion's Eye Diamond

Game 3 we explode out by playing all our trinkets, mana rocks and LED before he can Chalice on zero us. He has a Thalia that gets Ballistaed. I Disenchant his Chalice, play a Mishra's Bauble. He taps out for a Goyf and Wastelands me down to two mana. I cycle Mishra's Bauble seeing another Thalia on top! UHHHH OHHHHH. But upkeep, draw... Draw mana and Salvagers to combo out for the win. Phew!

Round 4: vs. 4c Control

Game 1 my opponent gets stuck on mana and I have a Ballista that beats down a bit. I churn through his countermagic with Monastery Mentor, eventually sticking a Salvagers and a second Salvagers. I then have Inventors' Fair that is easily turned on thanks to my Ancient Den. I get LED and kill my opponent.

-4 Chalice of the Void
    -2 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -1 Lodestone Bauble
    +2 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Magus of the Moon

Game 2 my opponent again has mana troubles, I have an early Mentor + a Monk triggered by an LED. I have double Recruiter in hand, eventually assembling six mana in one turn to cast Recruiter and tutor for Magus - I'm aiming to dodge any potential GY hate he may of expected to be great and hence why he kept a mediocre hand leading with Trop. He Forces the Magus. Ok. Next turn I cast Revoker, he lets it resolve and I name the on-board Nihil Spellbomb he played. I then Recruiter, crack LED in resp, get another Magus (here I could've also got Salvagers, but destroying his mana better plays around Deluge, since I can't combo out immediately. I do need to dump my hand this turn however because I have seen a Hymn from Bauble and hence if he draws a second Black source I'm in trouble) and turn his Trop, Volc and Badlands into Mountains. He shows me a hand of Black-intensive spells and etc. while my mediocre beatdown gets him.

Deck feels great, need to better mulligan and be more aggressive at just sticking it to my opponent. Giving my Miracles opponent too much time was a grave error.

Sep 2013
    Madison, WI

Thanks for all the writeups and work on this Sean! I've got the UW Trinket Mage version together right now and have been doing paper testing at home. Seems pretty powerful so far, but can struggle to have enough threats. I guess that's the problem with not running Recruiter as threats 9 and 10, just don't have him yet.

Has anybody been brave enough to try this on MTGO? Thinking through what I believe to be the click sequence, I expect it to be 6 clicks per LED loop: 1 to cast LED, 2 to activate, and 3 to recur. If you can make two clicks per second, that's only 120 seconds to make 40 mana for a lethal Ballista. Not sure if it would be too frustrating, though.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm72 View Post
    Has anybody been brave enough to try this on MTGO? Thinking through what I believe to be the click sequence, I expect it to be 6 clicks per LED loop: 1 to cast LED, 2 to activate, and 3 to recur. If you can make two clicks per second, that's only 120 seconds to make 40 mana for a lethal Ballista. Not sure if it would be too frustrating, though.
    It is fine when you have a ballista, especially since it is all open information and deterministic, so they can concede long before you reach 40 mana. The problem is when you don't have ballista and have to first loop for mana, and then loop a bauble to draw most of your deck in their turn, and then once again loop in your own turn to kill, that is almost impossible on mtgo but still a fair amount of your wins. And usually they shouldn't concede until after they have seen their own top card.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm72 View Post
    Thanks for all the writeups and work on this Sean! I've got the UW Trinket Mage version together right now and have been doing paper testing at home. Seems pretty powerful so far, but can struggle to have enough threats. I guess that's the problem with not running Recruiter as threats 9 and 10, just don't have him yet.

I think Nicklas speaks the best from experience, and I really think it's too cumbersome to try, so sadly we likely won't be seeing any 5-0s anytime soon. Lodestone Bauble is no longer feasible as a kill on MODO either.

I also think that Recruiter is big game (more on that in a moment), but if you are on UW, be ready to mulligan to your threats, and I think mulligan strategy is still something that needs to be figured out for this deck. I think that's the hardest part of this deck; not keeping "trap" hands with only Baubles and no way to assuredly get payoff from them.

Anyway, another 3-1 at a GP side event. List:

4 Walking Ballista
    2 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Monastery Mentor
    4 Auriok Salvagers

Non-Creature Spells: (27)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Lodestone Bauble
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Urza's Bauble

Lands: (19)
    1 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Inventors' Fair
    2 Plains
    2 Plateau

2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Nahiri, the Harbinger

Round 1: ANT

Game 1 is an interesting one. I'm on the draw, don't find Chalice, but I have turn two kill if I find a Ballista/Lodestone Bauble. So we roll with it, only end up drawing most of my deck in my opponent's upkeep. He can't kill me, so next turn I kill him.

+2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    +2 Phyrexian Revoker
    -4 Walking Ballista
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -1 Monastery Mentor (not sure what the 6th cut should be...)

Game 2 I Chalice on 1 him, play Mentor on two and then combo him g3. Noice.

Round 2: Shardless BUG

Game 1 I'm on the draw, Chalice him then Mentor stalls the ground. My mana is a bit funky (relying on an Opal for White mana), and my opponent has gone land Suspend Visions, into Goyf into Shardless (casting Shardless of a Wasteland), hitting a countered DRS. The Wasteland is incoming on my Tomb; I need to dump my hand (plays around Hymn too), so I play Recruiter, crack LED for WWW and bring Salvagers onto the table, ready to combo out next turn if I draw a White source or an artifact for Metalcrafting the Opal. My opponent untaps, casts Jace, bounces Salvagers and I fall behind soon after as a Visions resolves.

-4 Chalice of the Void
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -2 Lion's Eye Diamond
    +2 Magus of the Moon
    +2 Phyrexian Revoker
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger

Game two mull to a sketchy six with no lands and two Baubles to cycle. Have a Petal though. Scry and see Tomb, so I can deploy Nahiri soon! Cycle into another Petal and turn one Nahiri to my opponent's DRS. I also saw something terrible from the Bauble... Null Rod. So my Nahiri is digging for Disenchant and ideally the mana to cast it. I don't get there as my opponent soon Needles my Nahiri on 8, I never draw a White source and soon die.

Round 3: Elves

I have Chalice on one on the draw (no die rolls won for me! Sadface), but I cannot find Ballista fast enough. I'm one turn from tutoring for Ballista off Fair to kill his Ranger and Arbor (shoot Ranger first, then Arbor), but he NOs me next turn.

+2 Containment Priest
    +2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +2 Phyrexian Revoker
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -2 Monastery Mentor
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond

I wanted to bring in Plow too, and maybe that's better than Revoker, but I'm not sure.

Game 2 I make a turn one Ballista, he t1 Nettle Sentinels, I t2 hold up mana. He Zeniths, I Containment Priest him. Noice. I then Mentor, make some Monks, make a second Ballista, shoot down piles of Elves and find a second Priest. He's burnt out of resources and I get there. Ballista is crazy in this MU. My opponent also Saged an on-board LED out of fear, when all it was doing was triggering my Mentor and maybe fuelling a Ballista.

Game 3 my opponent mulled to five, led on Cradle and I Chaliced him, then Revokered him, then comboed him.

Round 4: MUD

Game 1 my opponent pressure me with Golems after I Ballista down an early Metalworker before it untaps. Imperial Recruiter bides some time, but with two Golems staring at me I draw LED and combo out with my on-board Salvagers luckily.

-4 Chalice of the Void
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -1 Urza's Bauble
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Phyrexian Revoker
    +2 Magus of the Moon
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger

Game 2 my opponent led with Chalice on one, Lightning Greaves and Metalworker; he then put in an Orbs of Warding. I had Mentor and other aggro friends getting work done, and my opponent is well-off casting the Sundering Titan in his hand. He then draws Forgemaster and Blightsteels my motley crew.

Game 3 is a epic game. I have a slow hand, but can deal with a lot of problems, and Nahiri to filter later. My opponent has an early Lodestone into a Orbs of Warding, and I Plow his Lodestone, untap, and start Nahiri ticking up. My opponent has a lot of mana from posts, and casts a Thorn and a Metalworker. I Recruiter for Revoker on the Metalworker while Nahiri keeps filtering my hand. Staff of Domination comes down and it's Nahiri vs. his card draw engine. I'm whittling at his lifetotal, and soon add a Mentor to the board and cast some rocks making some Monks. Salvagers also joins the table but is ineffective with Thorn in play. Eventually my Inventor's Fair tutors Explosives, I have an LED on the table and I blow it for 2 and for 3 to remove all his rubbish, and then ult Nahiri for another LED to go off and wreck my opponent with massive Monks. Was a really crazy game, and winning through all the hateful permanents made me in love with Fair and Explosives' flexibility.

So yeah, 3-1. Explosives was impressive, Revoker was good but could see a 1/1 split with Vandal (an out to Rod that's Recruiterable sounds neat), Fair remained great, the Den did work and yeah, Bomberman, Bomberman, Bomberman. It's a good time.

Chalice Bomberman/Bomberman Stompy

Sorry for the double post, but another 3-1. 4-0 so close :(

List was same as last time, except -1 Revoker, +1 Manic Vandal for the SB.

Round 1: Eldrazi

Game 1 was a bit lame. My opponent played two Endless Ones and a Matter Reshaper and this ended up being enough for some reason as I failed to assemble Mentor + Salvagers to overwhelm them.

+2 Magus of the Moon
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Manic Vandal
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond

Game 2 I play turn one Magus and feel I got this. Sadly I dont. My opponent gets an Endless One and then a Jitte. I assemble an army of Monks and Recruiter for Vandal the turn before he equips. Sadly, he equips, kills Magus, casts TKS and I die empty handed to the Jitte. Without it I feel my Monk army would've been able to get there. But alas.

Round 2: Jeskai Stoneblade

Game 1 I get Chalice on one and slam a Mentor into a likely Counterspell, letting me cycle Baubles and move on with life. I end up short of my fourth mana for a long time, and TNN starts pressuring me. Jace is also present, ticking up, but my Ballistas keep bashing him up. Eventually I get three mana for Recruiter > Salvagers, and then combo out before he kills me. I guess his hand was all one drops.

-2 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    +1 Manic Vandal
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    +2 Disenchant

He starts on nothing, I start on Chalice which he forces. I keep slamming threat after threat at my opponent, slamming a Salvagers with a Petal and mana floating to revive my dead Chalice. He Plowshares my Salvagers. Draw step my opponent Cliques me and takes my Chalice. Saccing my Petal to revive the Chalice also lost me my only source of red, and I'm left with a recruiter I can't cast in hand. I find Mentor though, and end up racing the Clique (Disenchanting my own LED on the penultimate turn) to kill my opponent. Good stuff.

Round 3: Belcher

t1 Chalice on one, I see two Probes from Baubles and expect ANT - though my opponent only played an LED and no land. So I sideboard:

-1 Engineered Explosives
    -4 Walking Ballista
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    +2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker

My opponent starts on Taiga and makes a Belcher (!) but luckily has nothing else. I turn one Revoker off a City to my opponent's surprise, then they eventually lose when I draw my whole deck and combo out some turns after.

If I knew my opponent was on Belcher I likely would've cut Crypts, kept in Explosives and a Ballista.

Round 4: Turbo Depths

The coolest part of the day. I kill my opponent on turn two with Lodestone, fast mana, and Salvagers + LED. Must be nice. I also don't reveal Red mana.

+2 Magus of the Moon
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Manic Vandal
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    -4 Walking Ballista
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -1 Chalice of the Void

My opponent starts with a turn one Sphere and I shrug. He eventually Into the Norths a Dark Depths and I fetch my Plateau and cast Magus next turn. I then also Magus again the turn after. And then Vandal the Sphere. I'm locked out of White mana, but my opponent cannot function and I beat him down. Lovely dopey Magic.

I'm not sure how to SB against Depths; I think I want Disenchant over the Chalices, but maybe this depends on play/draw (OTP Chalice cuts off discard). Late Chalices also can be set to two to cut off a fair few cards. Can also keep in Explosives too to blow up Needles or Spheres.

Maybe sideboard like this:
    -4 Walking Ballista
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    +2 Magus of the Moon
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Manic Vandal

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ChemicalBurns; 06-25-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Feb 2017
    Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    Thoughts?
    These are some excellent tourney reports. Well done and thank you!

I don't get to play much but I do love this deck, so filter my comments accordingly.

Cards that seem good against Depths are Revoker, Pithing Needle (I run 1 SB), StP, Magus and Vandal. Karakas is useful too. Crypt too if they're Loamy maybe?

I've been running 3 each of Recruiter, Salvagers, Ballista, Trinket Mage and Mentor. Mana isn't as wonky as I anticipated due to Petals and 4 Moxen, though I keep adding and subtracting a Spire of Industry for a Plains or Fair. Still trying to decide if the Mages are worth the space though. The Recruiters certainly are, and I run War Priest of Thune and the Vandal over Disenchant since they are tutorable and uncountable with a Cavern out.

I often consider a SB True Believer or 2 for things like TKS, Clique, Pox decks, but that's pretty meta dependent.
    BRING BACK MANA BURN!

So, another big tournament report. Seven rounds Win-a-Mox on the final day of GP Sydney. Same list as my previous post.

Round 1: vs. D&T

Game 1 is pretty amazing. Ballista does huge work at mowing down Thalias and other pieces of my opponents board. My opponent misses their second land drop but has a t1 Vial. Mentor and a second Mentor pressure my opponent so much that they are forced into awkward blocks. The only card that was a true pain was Serra Avenger (and fliers in general are a bit of an issue). There was also a strange scenario where I had to Chalice on zero purely for Mentor triggers. But anyway, we get there with the horde of angry Monks.

-4 Chalice of the Void
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Manic Vandal
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    +2 Containment Priest

This game is also fairly straightforward. I begin on a Ballista while my opponent Revokers it on their turn three after Wastelanding me down. I accelerate with an Opal to cast Imperial Recruiter (still with two basic Plains up, noice) and get Vandal. My opponent casts a Thalia and a Mom, I shatter Revoker and gun down Thalia. Man, Ballista is great. Eventually my opponent tries to get a SoFI on Mom, but I have Salvagers which neatly blocks her. I also saw a SoLaS from a Bauble, but I guess he felt it would be ineffective with all my Red creatures on the board. Anyway, I find Mentor and start to churn out Monks, and then eventually use Fair to combo out.

Round 2: vs. Storm

Game 1 I'm not sure if my opponent is on Storm, though I have a suspicion he is (though I saw him playing Goblins one of the previous days sooooo). I mull a weak seven with Ballista and lands to a six with Ballista and cantrips, and I decide to keep. This, I think, was wrong. I should've mulliganned more aggressively into either a quick combo/Mentor or Chalice. I die on turn 3.

-4 Walking Ballista
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    +2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker

Game 2 we have everything - Chalice on 1, Revoker on Petal, and a Salvagers and Recruiter. We beatdown for awhile and my Chalice gets Decayed. I revive it with Salvagers, cast it again, then next turn Recruit into Canonist. Opponent cannot get there. My opponent mulled to five this game however.

Game 3 we have a turn one Mentor with Crypt and Opal, so I keep. I draw into Revoker as well which names LED. Mentor is pressuring incredibly fast, but we alas do not get there, as my opponent Decays my Crypt, forcing me to wipe the little he has, then goes off with Cabal Rituals, IT and PiF. A close game, my opponent needed to find a final Ritual off his Preordain to get there (but his odds were quite high nonetheless).

Round 3: vs. Lands

Game One, we draw our whole deck on opponent's upkeep of turn two. I know he has a Crop Rotation in hand, but we have double LED which can very easily beat a Bog. He puts Chasm into play thinking he can get there, but I show him what Lodestone Bauble does and we're on to the next one.

+2 Tormod's Crypt
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Magus of the Moon
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -4 Walking Ballista
    -1 Engineered Explosives

Game Two my opponent mulls to five, we're beating him down for awhile (I think with Mentor) and naturally makes Marit Lage very fast.

Game Three my opponent mulls to four and I Recruiter for Magus of the Moon on turn two. He wastes my Plateau, however, and I never draw a Red source of mana again. I get aggro with Mentor, but he survives on one life when he makes Marit Lage and I die. Shit. Such a heatbreaking loss, it was really so close. I could've done things a little differently, however - I could've gone "all-in" on Recruiter > crack LED get Magus (but lose everything to a Punishing Fire), or I could've even just tried to combo him out. I should've been more patient, but instead I lost to a well-timed and well-placed Wasteland. Alas. I should've recognised my shortage of Red mana and accounted for this, but I got too greedy for the Magus of the Moon free wins. Remember that Magus is not a win con, he is just a piece of disruption.

I think a better way to play the match is Mentor first, get Tomb Wasted, play basics/fetches until I can Recruiter > crack LED Magus (hoping Mentor absorbs a PFire for us) and then move on with life.

Round 4: vs. RUG Delver

A very easy one. We Chalice him, he Forces, he Dismembers a Mentor going nuts, it carves the way for Salvagers to combo him out. It helped that his double Delvers didn't flip.

+2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Magus of the Moon
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond

Chalice sticks, my opponent bricks on lands because he cannot cantrip, we very easily combo out.

Round 5: vs. Eldrazi

This matchup is still hell, gosh. I don't know what my opponent is on, I keep a hand very much reliant on Chalice being good. He starts on Mimic, I slump and realise my hand does nothing. I get beatdown, my opponent Chalice zeroes me once I cast an Auriok Salvagers too; there's no outs left.

-4 Chalice of the Void
    -3 Lodestone Bauble
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Magus of the Moon
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    +1 Manic Vandal

My opponent Leylines me, I try to win with Mentor beatdown, be he's not getting there through the aggression. Chalice on zero appears too.

Okay, this matchup feels like hell, and we really need to derp them out with Magus to get somewhere. We have some good tools, but they're just a bit too slow and clunky. Many have mentioned Ensnaring Bridge as a solid answers, and if this deck was more prominent, I'd consider that in my SB as a Fair target.

Round 6: vs. Sneak & Show

Game 1 I Chalice him, then get a Mentor Forced and then get the combo of Salvagers going and draw my whole deck. Luckily his hand was cantrip-dense and we get there.

+2 Containment Priest
    +2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +2 Disenchant
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    -4 Walking Ballista
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -2 Lodestone Bauble

Game 2 I have t1 Mentor into a bunch of Monks with Revoker in hand. I see Griselbrand from a Bauble. He casts Show and Tell, puts in Omniscience, I put in Revoker naming Griselbrand, he has Emrakul and Griselbrand. Okay then.

Game 3 I cast a turn one Revoker on Sneak Attack, my opponent Ponders. I have enough mana to eventually Chalice for three but that gets Forced. Next turn I draw Chalice again, can either cast it for 3, or cast it for 1 and combo out. I opt for Chalice three, next turn my opponent has Needle on Salvagers, rats. I cast Salvagers, draw another one, and the 2/1 and 2x 2/4 beatdown get there.

Round 7: vs. Imperial Painter

Ballista is great in this matchup, clearing out lots of stuff. Nonetheless, game one Mentor steals the game pressuring my opponent considerably and eventually combo winning through his three blockers (thanks to Fair tutoring LED) since I had Mentor + 3 Monks made.

-4 Chalice of the Void
    -2 Lodestone Bauble
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    +2 Disenchant
    +2 Swords to Plowshares
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Manic Vandal
    +1 Nahiri, the Harbinger

Again, Ballista is great, and wins this game. I start on early Mentor, gun down a lot of his guys, Plow his Painter and Recruiter for Vandal destroying his Grindstone. I also get an EE on two. We eventually stall with Bridge in play (Recruiters and Vandals staring back at each other!) but my Ballista keeps ticking up and my opponent is low on life from Mentor and Tomb damage. Eventually I try to tick Ballista up to four and my opponent goes to Bolt him - shoot his face. Next turn I Fair for another Ballista and shoot his face for the win. Noicu.

So a 4-3. The close losses were Storm and Lands, which very easily could've gone either way (I think vs. Lands, I just sequenced wrong and got too gamey). Eldrazi felt highly unfavourable, especially not drawing Moon post-board. So that's definitely something to consider. Nonetheless, I was impressed with the deck's strength against D&T, as well as just in general. 10-5 over this weekend doesn't sound particularly great, but the deck is so in flux. Learning how to play it and its intricacies was a great experience.

There was a few misplays I have to note:
    • Screwing up Mox Opal Metalcraft a few times by shooting with Ballista before casting another artifact
    • The aforementioned looseness with Recruiter and Magus
    • When to cycle certain cantrips. Vs. Storm, I think you always want to draw during your own upkeep to avoid discard. When boarding Priest or Plow, cracking on your turn and drawing on opponent's upkeep is best.
    • I never "scried" with Mishra's Bauble and a fetch, and I should be doing this more often. I keep forgetting about it and auto-piloting to targeting the opponent.

Only changes I may be making in future is:
    -1 City of Traitors
    +1 Cavern of Souls

City always feels unstable, and even though the deck can slog through counterspells well, being able to set one to Construct and one to Human would've been lovely. Anyway, hopefully y'all enjoyed these reports, I'll keep jamming the deck in my weeklies and try and continue tuning as best I can. I'll also be updating the primer with matchups at some stage.

- Sean

Jan 2017
    TN

I should be running ChemicalBurns' exact list at our monthly Legacy FNM this week. I'll report back on how it went afterwards. Going to be testing until then.

I'd like to go to an IQ on Saturday in AL, but can't seem to get anyone else interested in going. It'd be nice to get Bomberman on coverage.

Would good ol' Gustha's Scepter have good use here? It would let you hold a combo piece safe from LED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

It may be corner-case, but if you can find a way to sacrifice the Scepter with cards exiled face-down beneath it, those cards do go to the graveyard and don't stay exiled. Thus, you could still get things going with Salvagers after the fact.

Thread Information