Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GP Vegas Thread

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: GP Vegas Thread

Time to play gush watery graves in vintage?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Some Death's Shadow deck was undefeated after day 1. Does anyone happen to know more? It's an interesting concept, I hope to see Snuff Out back in business.

EDIT: I was a careless reader. It was undefeated before the last round but there's no info after that.
    Death's Shadow has seen some fringe play in legacy, my favorite shadow deck is still Greg Hatch's that played it + niv magus elemental. I haven't seen coverage yet but I bet it's based on the MTGO list that recently did well in the Legacy challenge on mtgo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed from the Death's Shadow deck. It seemed like a deck that auto-scoops to Chalice on 1....

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sefir View Post
    Honestly, I wasn't that impressed from the Death's Shadow deck. It seemed like a deck that auto-scoops to Chalice on 1....
    Thats not an uncommon weakness in Legacy really. The deck has that issue in Modern as well. Overall, when you want to beat people down with a 1 drop 9/9, I would take the trade of "Burn and Chalice will fuck me." I mean that's the trade I take when I play it in Modern.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thats not an uncommon weakness in Legacy really. The deck has that issue in Modern as well. Overall, when you want to beat people down with a 1 drop 9/9, I would take the trade of "Burn and Chalice will fuck me." I mean that's the trade I take when I play it in Modern.
    Is Chalice actually a card people play in Modern? No sol lands + no cantrip cartel makes it seem like Chalice would be pretty mediocre overall.

I agree with the Deaths Shadow deck looking mediocre, it just looked like a much worse version of a normal Delver deck. I would imagine Grixis delver would shitcan that pile with DRS and Bolt for reach while you're killing yourself with your mana base and Pyromancer to spit out chump blockers. It's also not a real threat against combo decks.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Is Chalice actually a card people play in Modern? No sol lands + no cantrip cartel makes it seem like Chalice would be pretty mediocre overall.
    Yes. It actually sees more play in Modern than it does in Legacy as it is a mainstay in one of the top decks, Colourless Tron.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I agree with the Deaths Shadow deck looking mediocre, it just looked like a much worse version of a normal Delver deck. I would imagine Grixis delver would shitcan that pile with DRS and Bolt for reach while you're killing yourself with your mana base and Pyromancer to spit out chump blockers. It's also not a real threat against combo decks.
    It really just seems like a different flavor of a tempo/Delver deck, maybe better sometimes, maybe worse.

Never discount the fact that Josh is probably a good bit better a Magic than the average player accounting for some number of those wins.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I'm too busy to watch much this weekend. But if there is any footage of Lands, I'd love too see some links when the dust settles.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Miracles 10-0 destroying grixis 2-0. Rudy "newmiracles sucks" Briszka is gonna eat some crow this weekend methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    It really just seems like a different flavor of a tempo/Delver deck, maybe better sometimes, maybe worse.

Never discount the fact that Josh is probably a good bit better a Magic than the average player accounting for some number of those wins.
    Yeah, I'd assume that Josh being one of the best players in the world is a bigger factor in his record than any particular deck choice. I still think Deaths Shadow on its own seems suboptimal in Legacy, what with Fatal Push, Decay, and most importantly StP being everywhere.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Miracles 10-0 destroying grixis 2-0. Rudy "newmiracles sucks" Briszka is gonna eat some crow this weekend methinks.
    In terms of playability, it would seem like the top banning hurt Painter, Doomsday, 12-Post and Nic Fit more than it hurt Miracles. That game was insane and Miracles looked great the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    William "Miracles will be a fringe deck at best" Jensen (really slow to the party, saying it yesterday), too.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Fortune View Post
    In terms of playability, it would seem like the top banning hurt Painter, Doomsday, 12-Post and Nic Fit more than it hurt Miracles. That game was insane and Miracles looked great the whole time.
    Who would have guessed that top being banned would hurt nonblue decks that are relying on it as a consistency engine?

Were the games really that good? Game 1 looked like your standard control vs control battle where the person with the Jace the longest won with Lucas scooping a little prematurely (imo) and in game 2 that was a pretty lucky brainstorm into blood moon/snapcaster although with Predict/Portent/BS/Ponder you can argue that you were bound to find those combination of cards. Not discounting topless miracles, terminus is a busted card and the UW control shell is still amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

It remains to be seen, but I suspect the Top ban will prove to demote Miracles from tier-0.5 to regular tier-1.

I know Lands is much better against the new build, hopefully it will have some other tough MUs and be kept in check.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Top was absolutely the right ban, even if a few fringe decks were thrown under the bus for it. Sucks for them, but it's never the fair decks that get the cards banned, it's the degenerate decks. And Top Miracles was absolutely degenerate, considering it's 3 years of uncontested dominance, whether you live in denial about it or not.

But then again, Legacy's cantrips are still overpowered bullshit, the sky is blue and water is wet. More news at 11.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Yeah, I'd assume that Josh being one of the best players in the world is a bigger factor in his record than any particular deck choice. I still think Deaths Shadow on its own seems suboptimal in Legacy, what with Fatal Push, Decay, and most importantly StP being everywhere.
    The main reason to run Shadow in Modern is you are the best Fetch/Shock Land deck in the format. Modern is all about the mana bases, tron and Eldrazi do the best of what they are allowed to in their niches, same with Affinity. For all the decks that run Fetches and Shocks, Shadow actually incentivizes you for being as greedy as possible and turns the draw backs in to a bonus.

Legacy there isn't a reason to run shocks, you are making your self into the worst fetch land deck as opposed to the best.

I wonder if anyone will ever explore Tarnished Citadel for Legacy Death Shadow. It gives you an incentive to being 5 colour with a beneficial draw back. Probably not good enough.

I don't understand how the coverage can be this bad. Not the commentary, which is the same as it's always been: but rather the trimmings. How is it possible that I just watched 3 of the same Hour of Devastation ads running back to back and in complete silence? Clearly they would rather I entertain myself by complaining about the coverage than watch it.

Though I guess with the number of people watching this event, I shouldn't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    I don't understand how the coverage can be this bad. Not the commentary, which is the same as it's always been: but rather the trimmings. How is it possible that I just watched 3 of the same Hour of Devastation ads running back to back and in complete silence? Clearly they would rather I entertain myself by complaining about the coverage than watch it.

Though I guess with the number of people watching this event, I shouldn't complain.
    It's actually embarrassing. They're trying to promote a MASSIVE GP, that has a ton of people watching and they can't even get a proper stream going for any length of time?

WTF are they using, a smartphone tethered to run their video? JFC guys, it's 2017, invest into a better internet connection.

GP Vegas Thread

Yeah where are the back up matches?

Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    It's actually embarrassing. They're trying to promote a MASSIVE GP, that has a ton of people watching and they can't even get a proper stream going for any length of time?

WTF are they using, a smartphone tethered to run their video? JFC guys, it's 2017, invest into a better internet connection.
    I'll play Devil's Advocate here - I was at another TCG's National event last weekend, and the venue's Internet connectivity was fucking awful outside of the reception, which had a single hard-line. The TO had to not only provide their own hardware, they had to spend all of the night before setting it up so that the planes overhead didn't interfere with the connection. So it's not impossible that the connection was just that shitty.

Still, Wizards should damn well know better by now. I know CFB's Wizards Event team will pay better attention next year.

Thread Information