Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Ixalan [XLN]

Re: Ixalan [XLN]

It's probably worse than Nihil Spellbomb, unless the scry matters somehow.

EDIT: It also doesn't target, which may be slightly more relevant.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Also entirely colourless. You get the manipulation up front without a need for a coloured mana to access it. Even it if is a weaker effect, Scrying over drawing.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I guess my big complaint about it is that it tags both graveyards, which limits the number of decks that want it. Most blue decks have DRS, delve, and/or Snapcaster and so want to preserve at least a little bit of their own graveyards. Non-blue decks either want to use their graveyards as a resource (Lands, dredge), have more powerful options (white decks with RiP), or aren't really in the market for graveyard hate (some combo decks).

I think the card is fine, but it's trying to break into a crowded market.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    It's probably worse than Nihil Spellbomb, unless the scry matters somehow.

EDIT: It also doesn't target, which may be slightly more relevant.
    In a world where cards like 'goyf, scavenging ooze, and DRS are ubiquitous, 'all graveyards' is significantly different from 'target player's graveyard.'

bruizar

Interesting ult!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Meh, 5 mana is alot.

4 mana is alot, but blocking certain permanents does seem pretty interesting. Although it doesn't stop cheating stuff into play.

I really want to test this in High Tide with Turnabout and Time Spiral, lol.

Relevant card?

https://twitter.com/ElaineChase/stat...74132994260997

Siren Stormtamer
    Creature - Siren Pirate Wizard (U)
    , sacrifice ~: Counter target spell or ability that targets you or a creature you control.
    1/1

The relevant part is that it hits spells and abilities that target your stuff. It seems like efficient protection from things going Farming, as well as Bolts.

Mar 2007

It's interesting for sure and cheap enough for Legacy, but what deck would play it?

bruizar

I like this card for Standard. Very curious how Mardu vehicles will adopt the blue-centric vehicle cards in the coming set. It's not quite stoneforge mystic, but it has the potential to be busted provided they print a broken vehicle

for those who do not follow standard:
    Mardu Vehicles

25 LANDS
    4 Aether Hub
    2 Canyon Slough
    4 Concealed Courtyard
    4 Inspiring Vantage
    2 Mountain
    3 Plains
    2 Shambling Vent
    4 Spire of Industry
    20 CREATURES
    3 Archangel Avacyn
    2 Pia Nalaar
    4 Scrapheap Scrounger
    4 Thraben Inspector
    4 Toolcraft Exemplar
    3 Walking Ballista
    7 INSTANTS and SORC.
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Unlicensed Disintegration
    8 OTHER SPELLS
    3 Aethersphere Harvester
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    3 Heart of Kiran
    SIDEBOARD
    2 Abrade
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Declaration in Stone
    1 Dispossess
    3 Doomfall
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Heart of Kiran
    1 Painful Truths
    2 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Relevant card?
    It seems like efficient protection from things going Farming, as well as Bolts.
    Paying UU to beat a card that costs W? I don't think it's going to be viable, even in decks that use the creature type(s).

I think Mardu Vehicles just becomes Jeskai Vehicles. Also, why the F did they give Stoneforge Mystic.. even a sh**ty one, to effing blue? Seriously. Come the f on. That should be white.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    ... Also, why the F did they give Stoneforge Mystic.. even a sh**ty one, to effing blue? Seriously. ...
    Because awesome.

Mar 2007

I think Mardu Vehicles just becomes Jeskai Vehicles. Also, why the F did they give Stoneforge Mystic.. even a sh**ty one, to effing blue? Seriously. Come the f on. That should be white.
    They ride blue's dick so much they put Jace on the basic lands. Go figure.

It still pisses me off to this very day that the justification for TNN was basically "Hurr, white is for colored protection, while blue has historically the most non-color protection cards" while Innistrad block alone had double the number of non-color protection cards alone compared to blue's entire history.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I think Wizards was testing the waters to see how many people would tilt out over their printing an unplayable version of a better card simply because of its color. That, and they wanted to showcase the fantastic world of blue creatures and the balance and genius of their design philosophy. /sarcasm

(Not meant to be a stab at you, Morgan; more a comment on widespread attitudes around here and continuing poor design decisions at Wizards.)

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Because awesome.
    Notoriously the best keyword.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    I think Wizards was testing the waters to see how many people would tilt out over their printing an unplayable version of a better card simply because of its color. That, and they wanted to showcase the fantastic world of blue creatures and the balance and genius of their design philosophy. /sarcasm

(Not meant to be a stab at you, Morgan; more a comment on widespread attitudes around here and continuing poor design decisions at Wizards.)
    Oh, it's unplayable in Legacy, it'll be a Standard staple and probably see a fair bit of play in Modern as well, where grabbing a Vehicle OR and Equipment is even better.

I even understand where they came from with this, since blue has a lot of "search for an artifact when ETB" guys, like Trinket Mage and Treasure Mage and the other one that finds stuff 6cmc+. But this was fundamentally a huge mistake because it just fking stomps all over white's design space by specifically naming vehicles and equipment.

Nothing will ever beat the self-parody of putting Jace on Basic Lands though. Like seriously, that's the kind of thing a parody site would do and get mocked for because it's "too out there"... and then they go ahead and do it all on their own.

bruizar

Oh, it's unplayable in Legacy, it'll be a Standard staple and probably see a fair bit of play in Modern as well, where grabbing a Vehicle OR and Equipment is even better.

I even understand where they came from with this, since blue has a lot of "search for an artifact when ETB" guys, like Trinket Mage and Treasure Mage and the other one that finds stuff 6cmc+. But this was fundamentally a huge mistake because it just fking stomps all over white's design space by specifically naming vehicles and equipment.

Nothing will ever beat the self-parody of putting Jace on Basic Lands though. Like seriously, that's the kind of thing a parody site would do and get mocked for because it's "too out there"... and then they go ahead and do it all on their own.
    I believe vehicles in Ixalan belong to blue/white, but I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    They're Grixis colors, for the Pirates. White got Dinosaurs and Vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Thi make sense to me. Ixalan's vehicles are ships... water... blue... islands...

Thread Information