Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Ixalan [XLN]

bruizar

Re: Ixalan [XLN]

It allows us 8 squadron effects which means you can reliably imprint it on Chrome Mox. That is decent. Scroll Rack also becomes more powerful and it doesn't really take a lot of card slots (Since after playing one the dead draws disappear). Probably very tier 2 / 3 though.

Vampire Nocturnus is the best vampire I can think of..

Oh, Falkenrath Gorger with squadron vamp could have become a thing in standard if it didn't rotate out next month..

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Re - Squadron Vamp - any good soldier and/or vampire interaction that benefit from the CA? In the soldier stompy deck Daru warchief turn 3 - and squadron vamp turn 4 - can get you to cast 2 of them as 3/4's for 6 power and have 2 more in your hand. Not sure if that is decent.
    Brainstorm + Polluted Delta
    Lost Legacy

bruizar

Too slow for burn? Dragon stompy sideboard tech against Empty the Warrens and anti lifegain against mini-tendrils? Or crap?

Re - Squadron Vamp - any good soldier and/or vampire interaction that benefit from the CA? In the soldier stompy deck Daru warchief turn 3 - and squadron vamp turn 4 - can get you to cast 2 of them as 3/4's for 6 power and have 2 more in your hand. Not sure if that is decent.
    I was trying to think of a decent deck for Oketra's Monument in legacy, something to abuse squadron hawk effects, but I don't think it really gets anywhere. Even in a stompy list, trying to include anthem affects like Honor of the Pure, Monument, creatures leaves very little room for disruption. I didn't think about jamming Thalias in though. Probably more of a modern thing. I don't even think soldiers wants a vanilla 2/2 when it already has its own ringleader for getting stuff in hand.

For more creature-based Red Affro:

Rile :R:
    Sorcery (c)
    ~ deals 1 damage to target creature you control. It gains trample until end of turn.
    Draw a card.

I can see this in Modern Izzet Blitz, as it's a cheap, high-quality cantrip for the deck.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

@bruizar: I came up with this list off the top of my head - just because I like the Tswift reference. It is very clearly . . . tier 3 at best I think. Although - almost every game will probably look exactly the same for you since your CA and lack of dead draws is probably crazy.

#SquadGoals

4 Squadron Hawk
    4 Conqueror of Battle
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Swords to Plowshare
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Ponder
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

16 Lands

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post

Sorcery (c)
    ~ deals 1 damage to target creature you control. It gains trample until end of turn.
    Draw a card.

I can see this in Modern Izzet Blitz, as it's a cheap, high-quality cantrip for the deck.
    Shit, at least it is low enough in CMC I can Spellstutter it without issue. Thats going to see play though.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post

Sorcery (c)
    Draw a card.

Nope, just worse than Crash Through in multiple ways, unless you are using enrage for your dino's which is what this is for.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Search for Azcanta 1U
    Legendary Enchantment
    At the beggining of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. You may put into your graveyard. Then if you have seven or more cards in your graveyard you may transform Search for Azcanta.

Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin
    Legendary Land
    : Add U to your mana pool.
    2U, : Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a noncreature, nonland card from amoung them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Really wish they had stuck threshold as an ability word on this :P

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

6 mana is too much, but the abilities here are pretty strong. At least you could play this if you really wanted to.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Preeminent Captain? I don't think the body or creature type is good enough to offset the cost difference with Squadron Hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    6 mana is too much, but the abilities here are pretty strong. At least you could play this if you really wanted to.
    That looks like a card that will see standard play.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yeah, I mean, it is a bit of a bomb, in a place where Planewalker removal isn't very good (cost-efficient) and countermagic is mostly a joke.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Has anybody talked about how great it would be in Nic Fit yet?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

This is like a 2/1 scry 1 for 1G that either draw 1 or get +1/+1

Also somewhat feed the grave.

In the legacy of 4-5 years ago it would've been great. Nowadays not so much. Still a cute card.

bruizar

@bruizar: I came up with this list off the top of my head - just because I like the Tswift reference. It is very clearly . . . tier 3 at best I think. Although - almost every game will probably look exactly the same for you since your CA and lack of dead draws is probably crazy.

#SquadGoals

4 Squadron Hawk
    4 Conqueror of Battle
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Swords to Plowshare
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Ponder
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

16 Lands
    I remember brewing something very similar to this years ago, though i had dark confidants in it (wouldn't play them) It was an attempt at cawblade. I think Sword of War and Peace is a good inclusion, main or side, as the life gain matters with so many ways to fill up the hand and its ability to race is very good. Also, pro-DNT is as important as pro-TNN.

No way what to cut, but what about Smuggler's Copter? Play the bird, fill up the hand, crew the bird and loot the other birds :-)

bruizar

I see UR control dominating the new standard format. Spirebluff Canals, Torrential Gearhulk, Chart a Course, Thaumatic Compass, Opt, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Spell Pierce, Glimmer of Genius, Search for Azcanta, many red removal spells and sweepers and the Locust God. Practically a modern deck in powerlevel so that's what I'll be building.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I see UR control dominating the new standard format. Spirebluff Canals, Torrential Gearhulk, Chart a Course, Thaumatic Compass, Opt, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Spell Pierce, Glimmer of Genius, Search for Azcanta, many red removal spells and sweepers and the Locust God. Practically a modern deck in powerlevel so that's what I'll be building.
    I was debating between UR and UW. White gives you Cast Out, Fumigate, Settle the Wreckage, Farm // Market, Dovin Baan, and Gideon (probably leaving out a couple candidates). Not sure if that's better than the cheap removal red gives you.

This might be the first time in a while I've actually be interested in playing Standard if there are actually viable control decks.

It will probably be terrible, but I don't care. I'll be sleeving up Dinosaurs! this fall.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Has anybody talked about how great it would be in Nic Fit yet?
    Sarcasm aside, the sequence of "Uptick, Uptick, Ult --> DRS activation, DEAD" seems exciting, even though Vraska might be too expensive for Legacy.

Thread Information