Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ixalan [XLN]

Re: Ixalan [XLN]

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If you want to exhaust the opponent's basics, the best way would probably be Ghost Quarter + Field of Ruin + Crucible of Worlds/Ramunap Excavator. As already mentions, Aven Mindcensor also synergizes with said lands.
    I've seen some proposed junk Excavator/Knight/GQ nic fit lists. I'm not really sure if Field of Ruin is better than Ghost Quarter. At the point where you have Excavator/Crucible then I don't think you need more basics to be worth the 2 activation cost. I mean, greedy 4c deck might cry a little if you have a nice Vet/Therapy/Field of Ruin opener, but I think that's fairly marginal. Not a bad way to interact + color fix yourself though? Eh still would rather just have Tower/Stronghold as utility lands if you aren't on a special Excavator/Loam package.

After thinking about it more, I think the "Exhaust the Basics" plan works best when you combine it with things that punish non-basics, like Back to Basics.

If you went Bant, Back to Basics + Thalia, Heretic Cathar + Ramunap Excavator + Ghost Quarter pretty quickly turns into a "you never have mana" lock once you've quartered away the basics.

Or maybe that's overthinking it. I dunno.

bruizar

im calling it now, my prediction is that search for azcanta is the best card in the set.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

There is a fish in this set that is going to replace Kira. Thats my vote.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

The bad Tech Edge is good for Nic Fit...which usually means not Legacy Playable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    im calling it now, my prediction is that search for azcanta is the best card in the set.
    Well, I mean, yeah. In legacy it's basically a Rampant Growth for a Legendary Island that comes into play untapped and casts Impulse. That's kinda good.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Well, I mean, yeah. In legacy it's basically a Rampant Growth for a Legendary Island that comes into play untapped and casts Impulse. That's kinda good.
    Nature's Lore doesn't draw see play (and can fetch untapped duals.)

Search for Azcanta takes a turn to go off, so it's not an untapped island.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post

Nature's Lore isn't Blue, and Duals don't cast Impulse.

It's more or less a Farseek (put into play tapped, get it next turn), gets you a Scry next upkeep, and then has Impulse on top of it. Definitely good when you look at it in those terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    There is a fish in this set that is going to replace Kira. Thats my vote.
    Wasn't Kira replaced by True Name/Decay being popular? Can't remember the last time I saw a Kira out of Merfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Wasn't Kira replaced by True Name/Decay being popular? Can't remember the last time I saw a Kira out of Merfolk
    Kira doesn't see as much play in Merfolk because she's not a Merfolk. She doesn't get the buffs from the lords. The new Merfolk legendary dude does.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

bruizar

It is an incredible hard control card, built for UW. I believe it will end up in a miracles type list in the spot Counterbalance used to take. I see it as a four off. Excess copies can be pitched to force of will, and if you don't have a fow in hand, you can impulse to find one.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It is an incredible hard control card, built for UW. I believe it will end up in a miracles type list in the spot Counterbalance used to take. I see it as a four off. Excess copies can be pitched to force of will, and if you don't have a fow in hand, you can impulse to find one.
    Four might be a tad bit excessive due to being legendary, even with FoW and Brainstorm. But then again, people were jokingly suggesting Soothsaying as replacement for SDT after the ban and yet here we are, with some people startig to adapt a Soothsaying/Counterbalance setup and putting up results on MTGO. I don't know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Four might be a tad bit excessive due to being legendary, even with FoW and Brainstorm. But then again, people were jokingly suggesting Soothsaying as replacement for SDT after the ban and yet here we are, with some people startig to adapt a Soothsaying/Counterbalance setup and putting up results on MTGO. I don't know anymore.
    I would say Soothsaying is about as close to SDT as you can get right now. Good catch by people.

If it turns out to be strong, I think the card will be more comparable to Sylvan Library than some kind of impulse/ramp thing.

So this might be playable, though you'd need to build around it.

Axis of Mortality
    Enchantment
    4WW
    At the beginning of your upkeep you may have two target players exchange life totals.

No idea what that goes into, but once upon a time Mirror Universe was good. This is obviously way, way better. But again, no idea what deck it goes into. The effect itself is pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    So this might be playable, though you'd need to build around it.

Axis of Mortality
    Enchantment
    4WW
    At the beginning of your upkeep you may have two target players exchange life totals.

No idea what that goes into, but once upon a time Mirror Universe was good. This is obviously way, way better. But again, no idea what deck it goes into. The effect itself is pretty good though.
    Combine it with Lich

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Combine it with Lich
    So you Enduring Ideal and win on your next upkeep? Sounds bad. I like it.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Not as good as Scavenging Ooze, sadly, even though less mana-intensive.

bruizar

So, I've been thinking about Search for Azcanta even more and. It's going to warp standard towards UW approach control so hard. It speeds up the Approach clock by 7 turns to 8 turns.

It ramps into Approach a turn faster (speeds up 1 turn)
    It digs towards Approach (your second approach) if it isn't flipped yet
    It digs you counter magic and Fumigates every single turn
    It makes Approach much, MUCH faster to close the game out

First turn: Cast first Approach of the Second Sun, place 7th from the top
    Use Azcanta's impulse -> pick whatever and dump the rest on the bottom (speeds up 4 turns)
    Second turn: Use Azcanta's Impulse -> pick Approach of the Second Sun and dump the rest (Speeds up 3 turns)
    Draw a card
    Cast Second Approach of the Second Sun.

This thing is going to be busted as hell

Thread Information