Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ixalan [XLN]

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Ixalan [XLN]

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    So, I've been thinking about Search for Azcanta even more and. It's going to warp standard towards UW approach control so hard. It speeds up the Approach clock by 7 turns to 8 turns.

It ramps into Approach a turn faster (speeds up 1 turn)
    It digs towards Approach (your second approach) if it isn't flipped yet
    It digs you counter magic and Fumigates every single turn
    It makes Approach much, MUCH faster to close the game out

First turn: Cast first Approach of the Second Sun, place 7th from the top
    Use Azcanta's impulse -> pick whatever and dump the rest on the bottom (speeds up 4 turns)
    Second turn: Use Azcanta's Impulse -> pick Approach of the Second Sun and dump the rest (Speeds up 3 turns)
    Draw a card
    Cast Second Approach of the Second Sun.

This thing is going to be busted as hell
    Your math is wrong - you forgot that you also need another 3 mana without including the Impulse land to dig on the same turn. So you're looking at effectively 11 mana a turn to do both.

There isn't another flip card that reduce sorcery and instant cost and flip in land?

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

I find it amusing that the best answers to the upcoming UW Approach decks in standard... are also in UW.

Between Opt, Search, Supreme Will, and your draw step, getting that second cast off is usually going to be just 1-2 turns later. I feel bad for all the dinosaur decks* that will be invalidated by the UW plan. At least black has Lost Legacy.

*I will absolutely be playing one of those decks, because Dinosaurs!

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    So this might be playable, though you'd need to build around it.

Axis of Mortality
    Enchantment
    4WW
    At the beginning of your upkeep you may have two target players exchange life totals.

No idea what that goes into, but once upon a time Mirror Universe was good. This is obviously way, way better. But again, no idea what deck it goes into. The effect itself is pretty good though.
    well, Adanto Vanguard is way better with that card. Not legacy better, but is a really nice junk combo.
    Last edited by Jander78; 09-14-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Mar 2007

I find it amusing that the best answers to the upcoming UW Approach decks in standard... are also in UW.

Between Opt, Search, Supreme Will, and your draw step, getting that second cast off is usually going to be just 1-2 turns later. I feel bad for all the dinosaur decks* that will be invalidated by the UW plan. At least black has Lost Legacy.

*I will absolutely be playing one of those decks, because Dinosaurs!
    It would be hilarious if Standard is gimped for another rotation despite all the answers they're printing now, just because they still can't be assed to print proper hate against library manipulation.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Just chiming in to say that one piece of good news this spoiler season is that "Skulduggery" is now a card.

A terrible card, but the name tricks you into thinking it might be good. And that . . . is Skulduggery.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Not sure if anything wants this but it is probably better than most other bounce effects?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Is that jace falling? (to his death, one can hope)

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Your math is wrong - you forgot that you also need another 3 mana without including the Impulse land to dig on the same turn. So you're looking at effectively 11 mana a turn to do both.
    I realized this. In practice, if you watch the tournament coverage of approach decks, they often hit more land drops and are quite patient with getting those approaches cast (especially in the mirror). They often ramp up to have some counter mana left as well.

In the case when you don't have that mana, it's only 6 turns faster :-) Still good hm?

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I realized this. In practice, if you watch the tournament coverage of approach decks, they often hit more land drops and are quite patient with getting those approaches cast (especially in the mirror). They often ramp up to have some counter mana left as well.

In the case when you don't have that mana, it's only 6 turns faster :-) Still good hm?
    UW Approach mirror. I literally cannot imagine a more boring game. Even Wake vs. Wake would be better than that.

Mar 2007

UW Approach mirror. I literally cannot imagine a more boring game. Even Wake vs. Wake would be better than that.
    Sounds like tons of fun for everybody involved. I imagine it can be summarized like this:

We got the Red Transform land, and it's better than I think we thought.

Vance's Blasting Cannon
    3R
    Enchantment
    do the "exile a card and can cast it this turn thing (only nonlands)"

Flip on 3rd spell in one turn.

Spitfire Bastion
    T: add R
    2R,T: deal 3 damage to target creature or player

like, bolt on a land and it just draws you a card every turn until you flip it? That's some strong, strong sauce right there.

like, bolt on a land and it just draws you a card every turn until you flip it? That's some strong, strong sauce right there.
    Casting cost is way too high for legacy.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Casting cost is way too high for legacy.
    My thoughts exactly. Too much investment for too little gain. The blue enchantment is at least cheaper and easier to trigger.

Might be good for Modern, but those 4-mana pseudo-draw effects generally see not much play in Legacy, aside from the Chandra walkers - and even those are fringe.

I dunno. Is that really too expensive for Red Stompy lists? Like, I can see them having trouble flipping it, but it seems like it would be castable in that kind of shell.

It probably fits best in some kind of RB Turbo Burn build with card draw and rituals? But that's probably not a real deck, so...

Good card, homeless in Legacy?

I would like to see a red spellshock / sulfuric vortex like enchantment that flip in a draw card land, but I'm probably asking to much.

I think it's not that great. The land side is fairly strong, but getting it to flip is a challenge. Casting three cards yourself in one turn can be tough, although the front helps you do that with the stupid Chandra ability.

And if a burn deck plays three spells in one turn, the opponent is likely dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I think it's not that great. The land side is fairly strong, but getting it to flip is a challenge. Casting three cards yourself in one turn can be tough, although the front helps you do that with the stupid Chandra ability.

And if a burn deck plays three spells in one turn, the opponent is likely dead.
    I think this might work in a control shell, rather than an aggro one. I mean, it's a really effective finisher, even accounting for its cost. I still don't think it'll see much play in Legacy, where the decks this could be run in are much lower to the ground than this card, but it might see fringe play in Modern.

It'll definitely see play in Standard, though.

Maybe it gets there in Jund. At least in modern they are still searching for the BB-Elf replacement anyway.
    I mean that card really grinds you out.

On the other hand its so slow. It starts like the worst cantrip ever.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I think this might work in a control shell, rather than an aggro one. I mean, it's a really effective finisher, even accounting for its cost. I still don't think it'll see much play in Legacy, where the decks this could be run in are much lower to the ground than this card, but it might see fringe play in Modern.

It'll definitely see play in Standard, though.
    In a control shell the question really becomes, is it worth playing over Jace? Both draw you a steady stream of cards and turn into a wincon down the line, but this one gives you either cards or board control, Jace can flip between Brainstorming and Unsummoning at the drop of a hat.

If you're not in blue, question becomes is this worth it over Grove+PFire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Thread Information