Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Ixalan [XLN]

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: Ixalan [XLN]

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Dinosaurs and Pirates. I still can't get over the ridiculousness of that combination of themes. It's like something out of a Calvin and Hobbes fantasy sequence.
    I see no issue here. I'd play Magic: the Calvinball
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Dinosaurs and Pirates. I still can't get over the ridiculousness of that combination of themes. It's like something out of a Calvin and Hobbes fantasy sequence.
    I'm expecting to get a Vampire Dinosaur Pirate in the enxt set.

Y'know, just because. And it'll be the Vanilla Mythic that MaRo was talking about. :D

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    pic
    That exact page popped into my head, too.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    that's the closest thing to carnage tyrant crewing a heart of kiran.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

This C&H strip got me thinking, since it depicts a bunch of flying dinosaurs (kind of). I did a Gatherer search for "reach" and I got two hits. None of them were brontosaurus/brachiosaurus/apatosaurus type dinos. I feel like if ever a Green creature in Magic should have Reach, it should be a goddamn brontosaurus. Instead there's a Human Archer (fair, there's precedent for bowmen having reach) and a weird looking 3/4 for 2GG.

None of this really means a damn especially since Reach is basically just a "fool me once" ability if it even works in the first place, I guess I expected too much from the flavor department in a set where Dinosaurs, Vampires, Humans, and Merfolk are fighting over the secret of El Dorado.
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 09-25-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: I misspelled "bowmen", "is", AND the Reason for Editing. FML
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Instead there's a Human Archer (fair, there's precedent for bowmen having reach) and a weird looking 3/4 for 2GG.
    Wait, what? There are a ton a Green spiders that have Reach.

I mean, Reach does get put on things that just happen to be big also, which is kind of stupid. Just because things are big doesn't mean they are good at catching flying things...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Wait, what? There are a ton a Green spiders that have Reach.

I mean, Reach does get put on things that just happen to be big also, which is kind of stupid. Just because things are big doesn't mean they are good at catching flying things...
    He means in the set Ixalan. There is Atzocan Archer & Grazing Whiptail.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    He means in the set Ixalan. There is Atzocan Archer & Grazing Whiptail.
    Oh, OK, I knew I had to be missing something...AKA the title of the thread,
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

It seems to me like a blatant attempt to get Hearthstone fans into Magic. Hearthstone recently had a dinosaur themed set (Journey to Ungoro) and there are a couple winning Pirate decks that were dominating for a while. I'm just sad at how lazy of an attempt it is.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    It seems to me like a blatant attempt to get Hearthstone fans into Magic. Hearthstone recently had a dinosaur themed set (Journey to Ungoro) and there are a couple winning Pirate decks that were dominating for a while. I'm just sad at how lazy of an attempt it is.
    Not to mention MTG Arena which looks like a Hearthstone clone more or less. But it isn't suprising, considering how long MtG dominated the market, then HS popped up out of nowhere and completely shat all over Wizards in terms of revenue in record time.

Same thing how they tried to emulate the whole comic book movie thing with the Jacetice League.

Yeah, the new brain trust at WotC isn't exactly a bunch of geniuses, although they did manage to build a Hearthstone clone good enough to get screenshots of, which is dramatically more than the old team could have ever done, so I guess that's a point in their favor.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    @Mods

Can this be a separate thread? Seems like there is a discussion to be had over this and it doesn't have anything to do with the Ixalan set.
    Sure.

Done. Link to thread.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

bruizar

Search for Azcanta broke through in a big way at worlds.

Minor humblebrag on my side.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    im calling it now, my prediction is that search for azcanta is the best card in the set.
    Kept it civil with 13 copies but had to put money where mouth is

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Search for Azcanta broke through in a big way at worlds.

Minor humblebrag on my side.

Kept it civil with 13 copies but had to put money where mouth is

I have not been keeping up with this set as well as I used to. But it sure looks like a winner. I especially like how it has that "Legendary that does not get hampered by seeing duplicates" thing going on.

Good call on that one. Toot away at that horn. You deserve it.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

For anyone who buys packs, has anyone else noticed the quality issues? Or did I just get unlucky? I've got about 50 cards from a box that were faded (like old revised cards or something). It only happened on the first 4 commons of the pack, but it was definitely prominent. I also noticed a lot of "smeared" ink in the names of some of the cards. I haven't bought box/packs in a long time so maybe this is par for the course now but I was curious.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    For anyone who buys packs, has anyone else noticed the quality issues? Or did I just get unlucky? I've got about 50 cards from a box that were faded (like old revised cards or something). It only happened on the first 4 commons of the pack, but it was definitely prominent. I also noticed a lot of "smeared" ink in the names of some of the cards. I haven't bought box/packs in a long time so maybe this is par for the course now but I was curious.
    Quality issues are pretty common, and they vary by set. If you open enough product, you'll find all sorts of errors. Some sets have more errors or quality-control issues than others. Modern Masters 2 was notorious for problems. I have some Gatecrash cards with the smearing you're describing. Sometimes the errors are interesting, and sometimes they just make the card look ugly.

Wasn't the increased number of quality errors about the same time Wizards of the Coast switched the company that printed their cards?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Wasn't the increased number of quality errors about the same time Wizards of the Coast switched the company that printed their cards?
    afaik they have always stuck with their original manufacturer

Thread Information