Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Ixalan [XLN]

Re: Ixalan [XLN]

Spell Swindle
    3UU
    Instant
    Counter target spell, then make treasure tokens equal to it's converted mana cost.

It's an improved Mana Drain effect for more than twice the price. I don't really see it doing anything in Legacy, but is a non-free 5cmc counterspell playable anywhere, even when it's effect is that good?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

EDH. Its going to do work in EDH. That effect reads: counter your big fatty, on my turn cast my Tooth and Nail.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

DFCs are back. Did we already know that?

Starting with this set, all planeswalkers past, present, and future will have the supertype legendary. They will also be subject to the "legend rule." The "planeswalker uniqueness rule" is going away. What does this mean? In short, everything that's true about legendary creatures will now be true about legendary planeswalkers.

Under the new rules, if a player controls more than one legendary planeswalker with the same name, that player chooses one and puts the other into their owner's graveyard. This means that if you control Jace, Unraveler of Secrets and cast Jace, Cunning Castaway, both Jaces can exist under your control.

Official rules change. Liliana.dec and Jace.dec and Gideon.dec now? No longer constrained by worrying about dead Jace Beleren if you're playing Jace, TMS.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Sorry if something posted this already but it looks like they spoiled all the rares in this set today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Mar 2013

I think this helps Jace. 4 mana Jace and Flip Jace are sometimes found together. In Modern this will help Lili more. In all this likely is better for new players but feels like a flavour fail. But hell, you can already have two copies of the same (Woman) Thalia on the table so flavor be dammed.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Starting with this set, all planeswalkers past, present, and future will have the supertype legendary. They will also be subject to the "legend rule." The "planeswalker uniqueness rule" is going away. What does this mean? In short, everything that's true about legendary creatures will now be true about legendary planeswalkers.

Under the new rules, if a player controls more than one legendary planeswalker with the same name, that player chooses one and puts the other into their owner's graveyard. This means that if you control Jace, Unraveler of Secrets and cast Jace, Cunning Castaway, both Jaces can exist under your control.

Official rules change. Liliana.dec and Jace.dec and Gideon.dec now? No longer constrained by worrying about dead Jace Beleren if you're playing Jace, TMS.
    Noteworthy for gideon of the trials

Holy WOW is that a huge buff to 8 Gideon.dec Might also be seeing 8 Lilian.dec in Modern.

Mar 2013

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think this helps Jace. 4 mana Jace and Flip Jace are sometimes found together. In Modern this will help Lili more. In all this likely is better for new players but feels like a flavour fail. But hell, you can already have two copies of the same Thalia on the table so flavor be dammed.
    Old rule: No one gets a Jace!™

New rule: Everyone get a Jace!™

New New-Rule: Everyone get's all the Jaces!™
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

The PW rule change is also marginally relevant for Legacy Pox where before you might have wanted to play more planeswalker threats but you couldn't consider any of the other Lilianas.

So the most relevant PW combos:

Gideon of the Trials + Gideon, Ally of Zendikar (Now you have even more ways to not lose, seems likely there's some kind of deck there)

Liliana of the Veil + Liliana, the Last Hope (both castable off of Dark Ritual. Welcome to Tier 2.5 Pox!)

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy + Jace, the Mind Sculptor (or Architect of Thought/Beleren if you're in Modern) [all the Jace's, all the time]

Honorable Mention:

Nissa, Voice of Zendikar + Nissa, Vital Force

Chandra, Torch of Defiance + well, they'll print another good Chandra eventually, right?

Theres an official announcement from Eli Shiffrin on twitter that Hostage Taker is being erratad to be unable to target itself.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Remember when Chandra, Pyromaster was the good Chandra?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Spell Swindle
    3UU
    Instant
    Counter target spell, then make treasure tokens equal to it's converted mana cost.

It's an improved Mana Drain effect for more than twice the price. I don't really see it doing anything in Legacy, but is a non-free 5cmc counterspell playable anywhere, even when it's effect is that good?
    This will see play in EDCH, eith afinitty, sack Artifact, decks with hellkite tyrant and so. And maybe even in standard, with e*Hellkite Tyrant*and*Kuldotha Forgemaster, Afinity and even in standard with*Torrential Gearhulk, Improvise, or even with*Mechanized Production or the new Revel in Riches.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Theres an official announcement from Eli Shiffrin on twitter that Hostage Taker is being erratad to be unable to target itself.
    Good to know. Thanks for that for those of us who do not use Twitter.

That has got to be the MOST WotC thing ever.

EDIT: I mean, from the leak, to players instantly realizing the card doesn't work as printed, to the announcement of it's insta-errata only being made on twitter. WotC has apparently not managed to solve its Garbage In, Garbage Out problems yet.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

The PW rule change is also marginally relevant for Legacy Pox where before you might have wanted to play more planeswalker threats but you couldn't consider any of the other Lilianas.
    They better not bullshit me and cancel my order for Last Hopes. (Calm down, I only ordered 3 for my personal use.)

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    They better not bullshit me and cancel my order for Last Hopes. (Calm down, I only ordered 3 for my personal use.)
    For a second I thought you were talking about Dash Hopes and I was about to freak out because someone finally found a way to make that card good
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    For a second I thought you were talking about Dash Hopes and I was about to freak out because someone finally found a way to make that card good
    (Bad) Tech versus Death's Shadow decks?

Thread Information