Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

Re: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

I would like to see a junky combo of Demonlord Belzenlok with Eureka or something. Protect your combo with FoWs and Foil... all cards with cmc 4+.

Or we can just use Griselbrand instead

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    "At, When, Whenever" these words denote a trigger; in this case a trigger separating mana chunks the Dampening Engine or w/e it's called checks for. Moreover, it is the enchantments themselves which are creating the extra mana, not the land.
    Yeah - that was my suspicion - it's just mana flare's initial wording that made it seem that it was like mana reflection.

And for the Eldrazi Comment, mainly because its an additional card to use against Storm/Elves, the latter of which I had a problem with last time I played with eldrazi.

---

Edit:

Powerstone Shard 3
    Artifact
    T: Add C for each artifact you control named Powerstone Shard.

Not better than cloudpost engines, but IDK, could get fun with:

Phyrexian Metamorph
    Sculpting Steel
    Cogwork Assembler
    Saheeli Rai
    Copy Artifact
    Last edited by Cire; 03-09-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

This set looks really fun to me. It's been a while since I've considered some (non-cube) limited formats and I think I actually might. Good on WotC for making a cycle of triple-mono color casting cost big creatures. I've always thought that'd be a fun way to make people commit to manabases and not just get to run all the good stuff in whatever 3 colors they play.

Stabilization Orb is pretty great against literally all the decks I hate to face in modern so I'm gonna go ahead and pick up a playset even if it isn't really necessary. Fuck Tron/Eldrazi/Krark-Clan/Eggs decks (the latter 2 since I cannot enjoy watching my opponent take a 10 min turn).

This set actually looks pretty cool so far.

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Some interesting stuff in the spoiler.

Sagas are probably the highlight from a design standpoint. They are essentially huge Sorceries whose effects are spread out over multiple turns. This gives them a bit more wiggle-room in terms of costing the effect, and the fact that they're Enchantments allows a lot more colors means of interacting with them. From a flavor perspective they tell a story as counters accumulate and the effects change; framing them as pivotal events in Magic history is really neat. Great stuff, would want and expect nothing less from a set with Garfield onboard.

Tribal subtheme looks good. Partially, because the tribes chosen are less parasitic (Wizards, Knights, and MOTHERFUCKIN' GOBLINS), so to speak, but also because they hit on the classic fantasy at the roots of MTG.

Verdicts out on the Legendary matters theme as a whole, but a lot of the supertyped cards themselves look great. It's taken decades, but in this one set are two, yes TWO, R/W Legendary critters that offer an EDH buildaround that isn't "lol turn d00dz sideways!!!!1111!11!". Not to mention there are tons of callbacks and references to characters of old with flavorful, evocative designs.

Did I mention Goblins are back, including Siege-Gang Commander and Goblin Warchief in Standard? I might show up to a Standard event just to run out the old Scourge boyz.

Legendary Spells are probably the biggest apparent miss. It just feels like clunky design that's neither flavorful nor particularly interesting. Why does having Jace in play let me cast Urza's Sylex Blast or Jaya's Burnination? Furthermore, why can I cast these amazing spells two or more times in one game? I thought they were Legendary? It seems like a missed opportunity to make powerful spells with a serious drawback that isn't just being forced to play WotC's two favorite card types.

Art and story remain to seen, but I'm not optimistic on this front. Technically sound, but over-directed and focus-grouped art will likely dominate because it sells, I guess. Story will probably be Jaya, Teferi, and the Weatherlight swearing allegiance to the Jacetice League to fight Saturday Morning Cartoon Bolas in Ravnica 3: The Financial Slam Dunk. The new border for Legendary Creatures could be decent like Kaladesh Inventions and Ixalan Flip-Lands or hot fucking garbage like everything else they've tried.

All-in-all, not bad. I've come to grips with the fact that MTG is never going to be what it was in the past; it's too corporate now, shit's just about selling focus-tested "safe" mediocrity. And the games too well-trod to have the creative of the early 90's golden age. But this looks alright, a decent middle ground between grognards and mass audience.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    All-in-all, not bad. I've come to grips with the fact that MTG is never going to be what it was in the past; it's too corporate now, shit's just about selling focus-tested "safe" mediocrity. And the games too well-trod to have the creative of the early 90's golden age. But this looks alright, a decent middle ground between grognards and mass audience.
    I don't think magic is playing it safe at all. The reason imo why they are going for digital art is because of artist availability, consistency and speed. They crank out an amazing number of cards / sets every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post

Sagas are probably the highlight from a design standpoint. They are essentially huge Sorceries whose effects are spread out over multiple turns. This gives them a bit more wiggle-room in terms of costing the effect, and the fact that they're Enchantments allows a lot more colors means of interacting with them. From a flavor perspective they tell a story as counters accumulate and the effects change; framing them as pivotal events in Magic history is really neat. Great stuff, would want and expect nothing less from a set with Garfield onboard.

Tribal subtheme looks good. Partially, because the tribes chosen are less parasitic (Wizards, Knights, and MOTHERFUCKIN' GOBLINS), so to speak, but also because they hit on the classic fantasy at the roots of MTG.

Verdicts out on the Legendary matters theme as a whole, but a lot of the supertyped cards themselves look great. It's taken decades, but in this one set are two, yes TWO, R/W Legendary critters that offer an EDH buildaround that isn't "lol turn d00dz sideways!!!!1111!11!". Not to mention there are tons of callbacks and references to characters of old with flavorful, evocative designs.

Did I mention Goblins are back, including Siege-Gang Commander and Goblin Warchief in Standard? I might show up to a Standard event just to run out the old Scourge boyz.

Legendary Spells are probably the biggest apparent miss. It just feels like clunky design that's neither flavorful nor particularly interesting. Why does having Jace in play let me cast Urza's Sylex Blast or Jaya's Burnination? Furthermore, why can I cast these amazing spells two or more times in one game? I thought they were Legendary? It seems like a missed opportunity to make powerful spells with a serious drawback that isn't just being forced to play WotC's two favorite card types.

Art and story remain to seen, but I'm not optimistic on this front. Technically sound, but over-directed and focus-grouped art will likely dominate because it sells, I guess. Story will probably be Jaya, Teferi, and the Weatherlight swearing allegiance to the Jacetice League to fight Saturday Morning Cartoon Bolas in Ravnica 3: The Financial Slam Dunk. The new border for Legendary Creatures could be decent like Kaladesh Inventions and Ixalan Flip-Lands or hot fucking garbage like everything else they've tried.

I think legwndary spells should be way more powerful, since you need to have a board to cast those. But would start the "break standard" cry.

Thist is the block to have Sanctuary ruins, a white enchantment version of Academy Ruins... man, this would bring so many nice Loam/enchantress builds.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Icy Manipulator reprint! I know it isn't good, but was my favorite card in 1994.
    If it is printed at common, hello Pauper!
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by procobrito View Post
    I think legwndary spells should be way more powerful, since you need to have a board to cast those. But would start the "break standard" cry.

Thist is the block to have Sanctuary ruins, a white enchantment version of Academy Ruins... man, this would bring so many nice Loam/enchantress builds.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk
    Jaya's Immolating Inferno is going to be the best one... Because Squee is red and can be cast from any zone. This is bonfire 2.0

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by procobrito View Post
    This would be so good. Modern version of (C)AL any one?!?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I wonder if there are going to any applications for Hex Parasite in combination with the Saga enchantments. Those interactions are most likely not Legacy-tier, but one or the other might find its way in Modern. The best effects for this from the known Saga enchantments so far are:

- Fall of the Thran : I — Destroy all lands.

- Phyrexian Scriptures : II — Destroy all nonartifact creatures.

- The Flame of Keld : II — Draw two cards.

The Flame of Keld interaction is probably the best one as it keeps giving you a stream of new cards relatively cheap, but being vulnerable to AD and initially forcing you to discard your hand isn't so hot.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I wonder if there are going to any applications for Hex Parasite in combination with the Saga enchantments. Those interactions are most likely not Legacy-tier, but one or the other might find its way in Modern. The best effects for this from the known Saga enchantments so far are:

- Fall of the Thran : I — Destroy all lands.

- Phyrexian Scriptures : II — Destroy all nonartifact creatures.

- The Flame of Keld : II — Draw two cards.

The Flame of Keld interaction is probably the best one as it keeps giving you a stream of new cards relatively cheap, but being vulnerable to AD and initially forcing you to discard your hand isn't so hot.
    These are all on my buy list and I already secured Hex Parasites and Power Conduits. Flame of the Keld will go into my red stax deck with ensnaring bridge and Ghirpur Aethergrid shooting for 3 dmg instead of 1 dmg. Also.. Grapeshot

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    These are all on my buy list and I already secured Hex Parasites and Power Conduits. Flame of the Keld will go into my red stax deck with ensnaring bridge and Ghirpur Aethergrid shooting for 3 dmg instead of 1 dmg. Also.. Grapeshot
    What has Grapeshot have to do with it?

And Flame of Keld can only upgrade the damage once since it immediately gets sacrificed as a state-based effect once it's ability leaves the stack:
    Once the number of lore counters on a Saga is greater than or equal to the greatest number among its chapter abilities—in the Dominaria set, this is always three—the Saga's controller sacrifices it as soon as its chapter ability has left the stack, most likely by resolving or being countered. This state-based action doesn't use the stack.

bruizar

What has Grapeshot have to do with it?

And Flame of Keld can only upgrade the damage once since it immediately gets sacrificed as a state-based effect once it's ability leaves the stack:
    III — If a red source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player this turn, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that permanent or player instead.

Until end of turn, grapeshot copies each shoot for 3 instead of 1, making it lethal very quickly

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    III — If a red source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player this turn, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that permanent or player instead.

Until end of turn, grapeshot copies each shoot for 3 instead of 1, making it lethal very quickly
    But would Storm really play it, considering Step 1 is discarding your hand?

I'm a bit excited that gustha's scepter might be fringe playable.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I mean, in a PiF build that's not completely the worst thing. But yeah it's certainly not good. I don't think an extremely slow Pyromancers Swath is #WhereYouWannaBe
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Past in Flames is A Thing, you know. I'd definitely think it's worth considering a playtest.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post

This is getting ridiculous.

Thread Information