Berlin, Germany

[DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/dominaria

Number of Cards: 269

Prerelease Weekend: April 21-22, 2018

Release Date: April 27, 2018

Official Three-Letter Code: DOM

Twitter Hashtag: #MTGDOM
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

A key piece of information not yet contained on that page is that this set will be a return of Richard Garfield to design. The last set he worked on was Innistrad (the original) and before that Ravnica (the original).

I am cautiously optimistic. Then again, I liked Time Spiral.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

This has the potential to be good, hope they dont fuck up this time.

Hoping for a gamechanger for goblin and slivers, and some love for elves
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I liked Time Spiral.
    Liking Time Spiral is only sane. Turn 20, Detritivore trigger at your Urza's Factory, play Terramorphic, go.

I'd really love to see some pushed Slivers. How great it would've been if Gemhide was costed at G, as originally spoiled. Would've been glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Liking Time Spiral is only sane.
    But sadly WotC designs for player types who didn't (or wouldn't) like TS. It was the last truly good block imo. Everything since has been okay at best.
    I am cautiously optimistic.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The only thing I liked about TS block was Future Sight. They played it way too save. I wanted more crazy mechanic combinations similiar to Blast from the Past, but we got barely any of that even in FUT. A shame, really, but appearently, the overload of mechanics wasn't liked by new players. Which was the cause of NWO and dumbing down the game to the state where it's today.

Given WotC's track record with Return sets so far, my only hope is Richard Garfield. He's pretty much the only one to have the design authority tell Maro and his bootlickers to fuck off right of the bat.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    This has the potential to be good, hope they dont fuck up this time.
    *mentally reviews last five years*
    *wave of sadness*

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I am cautiously optimistic. Then again, I liked Time Spiral.
    Time Spiral was great and you are rigth for liking it.

That said: fat chance. Part of what defined Time Spiral block was ALL THE KEYWORD ABILITIES ALL THE TIME. It was practically an UN-set with how creative they got. They've since said they regret having done that, so we won't get that kind of creative word soup again.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I'll consider it a success as long as it includes Riggers that assemble contraptions.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

If it contains any mention of phyrexians, the weatherlight saga, urza, or kavu I will be ecstatic. If we get some legacy playables i will be beside myself.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I think I was making a joke about playable Kavu the other day haha

Note: I actually think a few they made were quite good; Horned kavu still tears up casual beats and it resets Skyshroud Ridgeback for even more blocks/beats.

That's *real* magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Oh man that takes me back to my first set when I was a kid. I loved the fading beasts I had so much.

breakintolife asked: Is the Return to Dominaria going to focus on giving Dominaria a more cohesive identity?

MaRo: It is.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...ng-to-focus-on

"A more cohesive identity" will end up making it one-dimensional and stupid, like so many other planes they've destroyed: not via cosmic horrors or irredeemable villainy, but through inept and lazy world building. What makes Dominaria cool is its scope, allowing it to feel real in ways that these other planes cannot match.

My personal hope is that at some point they'll start killing off Jacestice League members. There's one George R. R. Martin bandwagon I'll be hootin' and hollerin' off the side of. Come on guys, even Superman ate it at one point.

I might even buy packs if they said "The Death of Jace" on them. Not the cards, just the packs.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    I might even buy packs if they said "The Death of Jace" on them. Not the cards, just the packs.
    Seconded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    "A more cohesive identity" will end up making it one-dimensional and stupid, like so many other planes they've destroyed: not via cosmic horrors or irredeemable villainy, but through inept and lazy world building. What makes Dominaria cool is its scope, allowing it to feel real in ways that these other planes cannot match.

My personal hope is that at some point they'll start killing off Jacestice League members. There's one George R. R. Martin bandwagon I'll be hootin' and hollerin' off the side of. Come on guys, even Superman ate it at one point.

That's only good if they don't leave backdoors open to bring him back, like Elspeth conviently dying on a plane where she can come back as Zombie Elspeth.

Jace getting brainfried by Bolas and then getting stranded on Ixalan as a castaway hobo is probably as far as we can get with MtG's posterboy.

The commentary I've seen from wizards is that they'll be showcasing how revitalized the plane is, and now Maro says it'll have a singular cohesive theme.

I think we're gonna see Return to Onslaught block, Baloths and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    The commentary I've seen from wizards is that they'll be showcasing how revitalized the plane is, and now Maro says it'll have a singular cohesive theme.
    Maro is currently throwing a shitfit on his blog because people are voicing their concerns about making Dominara a mishmash of old stuff, taking away its unique identity. That, and complaining what a shitty character Jace is. Highly entertaining.

May 2015
    PDX

It's never too early to start studying for the FTK test.

With the new corporate direction I don't see how they won't gloss over the entire plane, even with Garfield on the team (he's not a lead, just 'on the team'). Isn't this when they'll get away from the block format and be in the one-shot 350 card story phase?

Either that, or it'll be some convoluted Return to TimeSpiral, so maybe his cohesive theme is "nostalgia that the new 15 year olds who started in Innistrad won't understand". They've really painted themselves into a corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Thread Information