Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Decent for Dnt?
    Tripple white seems pretty harsh on the mana. It also can't be fetched with Recruiters due to being a 3/3. I might be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me no.

Seems fitting that the set where they want to celebrate China with special duel decks gets a massive leak weeks ahead of release.

Edit: Apparently it wasn't a leak. China Wizards posted the Dominaria Release Notes to their website instead of A25 Release Notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Mar 2007

Naban, Dean of Iteration 1U
    Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
    If a Wizard entering the battlefield under your control causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
    2/1
    Are there enough CIP Wizards that are good enough to make it work? Snapcaster and Clique come to mind, but what else?

Venser as well. Legends Miracles was already running all 3 if I remember correctly.

I can't tell if any of these Saga enchantments are any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
    3WU
    Legendary Planeswalker — Teferi
    +1: Draw a card. At the beginning of the next end step, untap two lands.
    −3: Put target nonland permanent into its owner's library third from the top.
    −8: You get an emblem with "Whenever you draw a card, exile target permanent an opponent controls."

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Are there enough CIP Wizards that are good enough to make it work? Snapcaster and Clique come to mind, but what else?
    Spellstutter Sprite

EDIT: Reflector Mage, Sower of Temptation?

Also, it seems that the triggered ability doesn't have to come from the wizard itself. Not sure what possibilities that opens up though. Guess you could search around for existing Panharmonicon combos.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    Spellstutter Sprite
    But how often are you going to double counter stuff?

Other cards I found after looking through Wizards:

Maga, Traitor of Mortal
    Mairsail, the Pretender
    Reflector Mage
    Silvergill Adept
    Sower of Temptation
    Trinket Mage
    Trophy Mage
    Venser, Shaper Savant

But how often are you going to double counter stuff?
    Good point, thought it was a Daze-like effect based on faerie count. My bad!

EDIT: Also I don't think Meddling Mage works. Would have been great to name two different things.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

It seems pretty sweet against Elves, nerfing Cradle and ruining their Glimpse chain.

Edit: The Orb produces colorless instead of nothing.

I've edited my post above since WotC just released the entire thing.

Thank god... otherwise sol land decks won't be viable... There are only about 3 engines in legacy, lets try not to decrease the count wizards...

Mar 2007

EDIT: Also I don't think Meddling Mage works. Would have been great to name two different things.
    Nevermind then. It's even explicitly stated in the rules explanation that it doesn't work with Meddling Mage. Reading is tech. Oh well.

The AQ-War enchantment seems very pushed but in legacy the bar for 4 mana cards is insanely high
    So you pay 4 mana
    Next turn you get to peer through depths for an artifact
    Turn after that you get another one
    Turn after that every artifact you control becomes a 5/5?
    For 4 mana it's like you get a playable Tezzeret that your opponent can't even attack.

I think the RRR Chainwhirler and the new Squee are worth considering for Goblins.

The orb seems pretty good.
    Thorn is great because vs combo it's Sphere of Resistance but you can build your deck in a way that it doesn't affect you, unlike Sphere.
    Orb is similar but 'plan on mostly playing 1 spell per turn' seems like a much softer deckbuilding constraint than 'play tons of creatures'.
    I don't think it's worthwhile to bring this in vs every brainstorm/ponder deck because after spending 1 card and 2 mana it's too easy to be played around, but as long as Sphere/Thorn are playable this one definitely will be as well.
    Thorn is obv stronger (especially as a maindeck card) if your deck is already mono-creatures in the first place, but this new one is still a viable option.
    TL:DR more of an anti-combo sb card than a maindeck hatepiece (also if you are thinking of maindecking thorn/sphere you are 100% an Ancient Tomb deck, and tapping your land for 2 mana gets turned off by this thing anyway)

No other cards really jumped out at me but I only skimmed through the document, I'll have to have another look at it. The legendary mox flim-flammed my jimjams when I first saw it, surely this can be abused somehow, but there's not anything that immediately comes to mind. New Karn also seems pretty good but idk where you are supposed to put it.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    The orb seems pretty good.
    Thorn is great because vs combo it's Sphere of Resistance but you can build your deck in a way that it doesn't affect you, unlike Sphere.
    Orb is similar but 'plan on mostly playing 1 spell per turn' seems like a much softer deckbuilding constraint than 'play tons of creatures'.
    I don't think it's worthwhile to bring this in vs every brainstorm/ponder deck because after spending 1 card and 2 mana it's too easy to be played around, but as long as Sphere/Thorn are playable this one definitely will be as well.
    Thorn is obv stronger (especially as a maindeck card) if your deck is already mono-creatures in the first place, but this new one is still a viable option.
    TL:DR more of an anti-combo sb card than a maindeck hatepiece (also if you are thinking of maindecking thorn/sphere you are 100% an Ancient Tomb deck, and tapping your land for 2 mana gets turned off by this thing anyway)
    I could see it as a SB card for D&T. Hating on Cradle, Glimpse chains and Symbiote/Visionary shenanigans while you're pretty much unaffected. Doubling as a Storm hate card is just the icing on the cake. Mana denying Stompy decks is just an added bonus, but questionable if it's good enough to be included against those decks.

Edit: It also hates on Food Chain, Aluren and any other infinite-spell based deck.

New Karn also seems pretty good but idk where you are supposed to put it.
    Maybe UB Tezz? With artifact lands and Moxes you could power out a Karn by turn 3 that can make a token that is likely a 3/3 or 4/4 to protect it. The other abilities seem kind of slow/low impact so it seems doubtful but I may try it out for fun anyway.

I could see it as a SB card for D&T. Hating on Cradle, Glimpse chains and Symbiote/Visionary shenanigans while you're pretty much unaffected. Doubling as a Storm hate card is just the icing on the cake. Mana denying Stompy decks is just an added bonus, but questionable if it's good enough to be included against those decks.

Edit: It also hates on Food Chain, Aluren and any other infinite-spell based deck.
    Stompy is usually trying to land a turn 1-2 moon effect in 80% of matchups, they run 27 mana sources for a reason. The deck is already built to work with sol lands tapping for R. I think this card has a lot of potential in that deck as a quickly deployable sb card, it's a wide hoser.

Mar 2007

Maybe UB Tezz? With artifact lands and Moxes you could power out a Karn by turn 3 that can make a token that is likely a 3/3 or 4/4 to protect it. The other abilities seem kind of slow/low impact so it seems doubtful but I may try it out for fun anyway.
    You can use two Sol Lands to jam it down on T2 to generate immediate card advantage while being at 6 loyality. Sure, at first you'll get the worse card out of the two, but after that, you can either keep digging if the other card sucked or you'll grab it on the next turn. It's worth noting that even if they kill Karn, your next one can still grab the cards exiled by the first one. The token generate ability is alright and combines nicely with Tezzeret's 5/5 artifact ability.

I could see Karn being good in various decks, mainly Sol Land-based ones, and definitely being worth keeping an eye on.

You can use two Sol Lands to jam it down on T2 to generate immediate card advantage while being at 6 loyality. Sure, at first you'll get the worse card out of the two, but after that, you can either keep digging if the other card sucked or you'll grab it on the next turn. It's worth noting that even if they kill Karn, your next one can still grab the cards exiled by the first one. The token generate ability is alright and combines nicely with Tezzeret's 5/5 artifact ability.

I could see Karn being good in various decks, mainly Sol Land-based ones, and definitely being worth keeping an eye on.
    I agree, easy casting cost, generates card advantage, and makes a blocker/threat to protect himself if necessary. Its not particularly broken but it's a nice card for grindy matchups.

The AQ-War enchantment seems very pushed but in legacy the bar for 4 mana cards is insanely high
    So you pay 4 mana
    Next turn you get to peer through depths for an artifact
    Turn after that you get another one
    Turn after that every artifact you control becomes a 5/5?
    For 4 mana it's like you get a playable Tezzeret that your opponent can't even attack.
    It's better than that. You get the first peer through depths the turn you play it. Then you get the another the next turn and can deploy your two hits. Then the next turn you can try and smash face. The card seems super interesting, I'm excited to try that one out in some weird mono blue chalice stompy builds.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Even already have enough wizards in your deck, you still need to keep this 1-toughness guy survive for benefit. For a wizard-theme, I prefer laboratory.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

So we not only have low-powered Instants & Sorceries for years, but now we have to control Planeswalkers & Legends to even be able to cast these spells in the first place?

Also: Handing out full set Information weeks before release once again.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    So we not only have low-powered Instants & Sorceries for years, but now we have to control Planeswalkers & Legends to even be able to cast these spells in the first place?

Also: Handing out full set Information weeks before release once again.
    My guess is that it's another take on legendary instants & sorcercies after their first attempt with the Epic cycle was a massive failure. Although there's nothing legendary about them except the requirement.

As for handing out set information early, at least they had the decency to release the whole thing immediately instead of having a childish fit and doing stupid shit like mass banning judges. But them fucking up like clockwork should be expected - they are a terrible company, after all, despite how good the game is.

Thread Information