Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

Voltaic servant seems a possible try in artifact decks as it is a key that work with chalice.

You can't ramp with it but you can untap monolith every turn with it. Not sure it's Worth but it looks like just such a nice card.

EDIT: Copying from the source:

•works on Grim Monolith/Basalt/etc. end of turn, setting them up to be reusable
    •gives Vigilance to one of your dudes for free
    •interacts very cutely with Steel Overseer and Hangarback Walker
    •untaps Mishra's Factory end of turn before it resets

Add ratchet bomb and vial as possible additional interactions from legacy

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    I think in legacy lodestone is a better card most of the time and see 0 play because casting it T2 is extremely inconsistent. This coming down T3 is nice but it dies to everything except AD. 4 mana threats need to at least protect themselves in this format to be playable imho. Reality smasher has haste, come down as fast as this with eldrazi lands if not arguably faster, and make your opponent 2-for-1 itself to remove it.
    Traxos, Scourge of Kroog is not bad in the right shell. Lodestone isnt stronger cause Lodestone dies not only to bold (a super common removal and Grixis Delver is everywhere...) it will also trade with a lot of more creatures and cant beat common "walls" like TNN or even a charged Gofy (artifacts). Yes stacking fast Lodestone/Thorn can win games and 5 power is solid in terms of beating down the opponent.

Traxos, Scourge of Kroog is "only" a beater but 7/7 which dodges most common removal on its own and also trample over most blocking creatures (also ignores TNN, even TNN+Bolt!, tokens etc.) is a good package for 4 Mana read 2 Sollands. In the right shell his drawback quickly changes into vigilance. For balance he is stopped from Karakas and as a legend you can't slam more copies on the field compared to Lodestone Golem.

I am sure we see Traxos, Scourge of Kroog and the new Karn Planeswalker in Legacy soon.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    Traxos, Scourge of Kroog is not bad in the right shell. [...]
    I am sure we see Traxos, Scourge of Kroog and the new Karn Planeswalker in Legacy soon.
    I'm no expert, but to me Traxos looks like a 1-of option that is conditional in that it needs a constant stream of artifacts (or another card that untaps it).

New Karn is odd, he's a complicated draw engine for 4 Mana that in a vacuum could win the game against an opponent that does nothing for many turns. In a dedicated artifact deck the Karn tokens could be strong.
    I'd guess Karn will see play mostly because there is probably no better draw engine for 4 generic mana and because the card is named Karn and people tend to think he's as strong as Karn Liberated.

Does Ghitu Lavarunner have a place in some kind of burn deck? Obviously not as good as Goblin Guide but that's not exactly saying a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does Ghitu Lavarunner have a place in some kind of burn deck? Obviously not as good as Goblin Guide but that's not exactly saying a lot.
    I thought about it too but I doubt it's going to be good enough. The 1/2 prowess guy already seems so underwhelming sometimes and this is definitely worse. These kinds of creatures are better in the early game but this one's ability makes only useful from mid game on when you have already casted 2 burn spells on your opponent. It also forces you to do as early as possible which contrains your strategic options.

If it had haste, likely would be a contender. Without haste, the general Burn consensus is that it is a budget replacement at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post

Traxos, Scourge of Kroog is "only" a beater but 7/7 which dodges most common removal on its own and...
    That sweet 3 trun clock. But is his drawback really that irrelevant? Brown decks are usually not that consistent and tend to run out of gas. So yeah he can bad if you topdeck him or a land!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    That sweet 3 trun clock. But is his drawback really that irrelevant? Brown decks are usually not that consistent and tend to run out of gas. So yeah he can bad if you topdeck him or a land!
    People are missing the fact that Voltaic Servant untaps him every turn.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    People are missing the fact that Voltaic Servant untaps him every turn.
    Only if you have both in play at the same time! ;)

Does the power level of the set seem super low to anyone else? Usually sets have one or two compelling legacy cards, but it's hard to find anything new and strong in this one.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

So. . . not a good combo, but interesting to me (from themanadrain)

Get Muldrotha, the Gravetide onto the battlefield then use the ability to cast a clone effect. Phantasmal Image/Dance of Many. Copy Muldrotha, the Gravetide and allow the original copy to die to the legend rule. Next cast Lion's Eye Diamond from the graveyard. Sacrifice it for enough mana to cast Animate Dead targeting the original Muldrotha, the Gravetide which is in your graveyard due to state based effects (Legend Rule). Then repeat with Dance of Many replaying LED again until you have as much mana as you want. Then you can use that mana to loop Muldrotha, the Gravetide and cast every non-enchantment permanent in your graveyard as many times as you want, and hopefully you have something that will allow you to use that infinite mana to kill.

The combo requires at least Muldrotha, LED, Phantasmal Image/Dance of Many, Animate Dead & Win Con. So it's a 5(!) card combo, that isn't really that cheap. The best I can come up with is W mana plus LED discarding those 4 other needed cards plus Unburial Rites, and then going off, but that then requires 6(!) cards!

Purely hypothetically you can shoe horn Worldgorger dragon in their for some consistency, and maybe stuff in a whole bunch a tutors and draw, but there you go. . . you could technically use Muldrotha for a turn 1 kill with a god hand ....

Gifts Ungiven?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    So. . . not a good combo, but interesting to me (from themanadrain) ...
    Huh.. So I guess if Muldrotha is on top of your graveyard, and you have Volrath's Shapeshifter in play you can't cast Muldrotha, but what if there are two of them on top of the graveyard?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Gifts Ungiven?
    So Gifts Ungiven (for Muldrotha, Animate Dead, Unburial Rites, Win Con) + LED + Phantasmal Image/Dance of Many in hand? That leads to a 4U + 3 card combo (with at least 4 dead cards).

Best I can do with that is:

4 LED
    4 Gifts Ungiven
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Dance of Many
    1 Animate Dead
    1 Unburial Rites
    1 Win Con (can be anything that wins with infinite mana)
    14(!) free spots

3 Phantasmal Image
    1 Muldrotha

20 Lands

If we replace brainstorm, we can actually think about running Sol lands and maybe chalice !

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

so, 4 card combo relying on the graveyard and on a creature?
    seems like a recipe for disaster (even if i like the idea).

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    so, 4 card combo relying on the graveyard and on a creature?
    seems like a recipe for disaster (even if i like the idea).
    3! card combo relying on the graveyard and on a creature

Could be a good EDH combo. All of the cards are good on their own there. Not sure what you do with a clone and animate dead vs a delver deck...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Thread Information