Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Re: [DOM] Dominaria (Spring 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Currently there's some whispering that they are going to finally do the "functional reprints" of the dual-lands as special chase cards in the set a la the expeditions and such.

Speculation on how they're going to possibly do the "functional reprints" of dual lands in a new set?

I'm thinking Legendary lands maybe?
    Do you have a link to this "whispering"?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Currently there's some whispering that they are going to finally do the "functional reprints" of the dual-lands as special chase cards in the set a la the expeditions and such.

Speculation on how they're going to possibly do the "functional reprints" of dual lands in a new set?

I'm thinking Legendary lands maybe?
    They certainly have to step up their game to bring players back after losing millions of players and squandering alot of good will in the past few years with various mistakes, including the current piss-poor card stock. Functional dual reprints are probably more of a wishful thinking, but they're probably at the limit where they can milk the current playerbase for the need of ever growing revenue to please shareholders.

If they were really bringing a 1-2-3 punch of Dominaria, Richard Garfield and actual duals, it would be smash success.
    Last edited by Barook; 12-06-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    They certainly have to step up their game to bring players back after losing millions of players and squandering alot of good will in the past few years with various mistakes, inclusing the current piss-poor card stock. Functional dual reprints are probably more of a wishful thinking, but they're probably at the limit where they can milk the current playerbase for the need of ever growing revenue to please shareholders.

If they were really bringing a 1-2-3 punch of Dominaria, Richard Garfield and actual duals, it would be smash success.
    Millions of players huh? I'm going to need a citation on that one chief.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Here:
    millions of players

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Millions of players huh? I'm going to need a citation on that one chief.
    MTG had 12 million active players in 2012 and another two years of significant revenue growth (35% each). Those numbers are from Hasbro's shareholder reports. These changes can only go along with a substantial player number increase. Whether or not the 20 million player figure from 2015 is the real deal is another question, since it isn't "active" players. But revenue numbers suggest it should be in the ballpark.

However, recently Maro told us that MTG has currently 12 million active players - so what happened to the millions of players added in 2013 & 2014? Revenue growth is sustained by an increasing number of products each year. Given the massive player loss, many of WotC's kneejerk reactions make alot of sense looking back, like bringing back the two year Standard rotaton or various Standard bannings, including an emergeny one. And they got a new CEO last year.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Revenue growth is sustained by an increasing number of products each year.
    It is certainly possible player growth stalled or shrank, but the quoted section is just your opinion unless you can link to a source...

I represent a number of pretty key demographics already supporting WotC's revenue stream, and the amount of my money that goes to them hasn't increased with the additional products they've added, so that means there is a pretty good chance their revenue increased because more people are buying things rather than less people buying more.

MTG had 12 million active players in 2012 and another two years of significant revenue growth (35% each). Those numbers are from Hasbro's shareholder reports. These changes can only go along with a substantial player number increase. Whether or not the 20 million player figure from 2015 is the real deal is another question, since it isn't "active" players. But revenue numbers suggest it should be in the ballpark.

However, recently Maro told us that MTG has currently 12 million active players - so what happened to the millions of players added in 2013 & 2014?
    That again ?

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Aug 2008
    Slovenia

Having big churn sucks for a company. If you add the fact that "geekdom" is becoming more and more main stream, that's really bad. Even more so when you consider https://www.statista.com/statistics/...aft-worldwide/

Such "whispering" has existed for a long time. Is there any particular reason to give them special credence right now?

Mar 2007

It's the best time of the month again - Wizards Fuck Up Time!

Apparently our favorite idiot company has uploaded the Dominaria Rules FAQ on their Chinese website:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...possible_leak/

https://pastebin.com/BEfWBxeE

Infos are still being translated and roll out, but a quick summary:

A 4 cmc Karn
    Mono red Jaya Ballard walker
    Legendary sorceries and Instants
    A new mox
    A legendary permanent in every pack
    Innistrad checklands.
    Kicker is back
    Planeswalker redirection rule is gone, now spells just say "damage to a target" or something similar
    New card frame for legendaries
    Templating changes: References to mana pool are gone (now things will just say "Add G" or whatever), new frame and border for legendary cards, spells that refer to themselves will now just say "this spell"
    Sifting through the mess that are the current translations, but there seems to be a heavy legendary theme going on.

- The new legendary Amber Mox produces mana based on legenday creatures and planeswalkers you control.

- New Karn seems pretty good on first glance, but I could be wrong:
    Silver Karn - (4)
    Legendary PW - Karn
    +1: Reveal top 2 cards of your library. An opponent chooses one to put in your hand and you exile the other with a Silver counter on it.
    -1: Put an exiled card with a silver counter on it in your hand.
    -2: create a 0/0 colorless artifact Construct creature that has "this creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control"
    {5}
    Anti-Storm Tech - also seems pretty decent against Elves:
    Stabilization Orb - 2
    Artifact
    If a land would produce more than one mana, it produces zero mana instead.
    Spells cost 1 more to cast for each other spell cast by that spell's owner that turn.
    Other stuff
    Future Vision - 3U
    Enchantment
    You may look at the top card of your library. (You can do this any time.)
    If the top card of your library is an instant or sorcery card, you may cast it.
    3: Exile the top card of your library.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Orb seems completely insane
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Orb looks really fun.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Mar 2007

EDIT: Wizards just acknowledged their fuck-up and released the whole thing officially:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...eak-2018-03-08

Happy digging!

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    Orb seems completely insane
    Orb could also be colorless instead of zero mana, the translation isn't completely clear yet.

Some more info form MTGSalvation:

Karn 4
    Planeswalker - Karn
    +1: Reveal the top two cards of your library. An opponent puts one into your hand. Exile the other with a silver counter on it.
    -1: Choose an exiled card you own with a silver counter on it and put it into your hand.
    -2: Create a 0/0 colorless artifact construct token with "This creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control"
    5 loyalty

Jaya Ballard 2RRR
    Planeswalker - Jaya
    +1: Add RRR. Spend this mana only to cast instant or sorcery spells
    +1: Discard up to three cards, then draw that many cards.
    -8: You gain an emblem with "You may cast instant and sorcery cards from your graveyard. When a spell cast this way would go to your graveyard, instead exile it"
    5 loyalty

Squee Undying 1RR
    Legendary Creature - Goblin
    You may cast Squee from your graveyard or exile.
    2/1

Jodah, Archmage Eternal 1UWR
    Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
    You may spend WUBRG rather than pay the mana costs of spells you cast
    Flying
    4/3

Sky Captain Jhoira 2UR
    Legendary Creature - Human Artificer
    Whenever you cast a Historic spell, draw a card (Artifacts, legendary cards, and "Discipline" enchantments are all historic)
    3/3

Kicker is back

"Discipline" cards aka Structures. They gain a "chapter" counter each upkeep and have a trigger depending on what chapter they're on, and are sacrificed when they have 3 counters.

Siege-Gang Commander, Goblin Warchief, Verdant Force, and Thorn Elemental reprints

Belzenok 4BB
    Legendary Creature - Demon
    Flying, Trample
    When Belzenok enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card. Put that card into your hand and Belzenok deals 1 damage to you. If it has a converted mana cost of 4 or more, repeat this process.
    6/6

Oath of Teferi 3UW
    Legendary Enchantment
    When Oath of Teferi enters the battlefield, exile target permanent you control. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
    You may activate each Planeswalker's loyalty abilities twice each turn.

Stablization Ball 2
    Artifact
    If a land would produce two or more mana, it instead produces C instead (possibly no mana, translation unclear)
    Each spell costs an additional X to cast, where X is the number of spells that spell's controller has previously cast this turn

Mudu, Corrupt Tower 3UGB
    Legendary Creature - Elemental Avatar
    You may cast permanent cards from your graveyard on your turn. You may only cast one card of each type this way per turn.
    6/6

Darigaaz Reborn 4RGB
    Legendary Creature - Dragon
    Flying, Trample, Haste
    If Darigaaz would die, instead exile it with three egg counters on it.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, if Darigaaz is exiled with egg counters on it, remove one. When you remove the last, return it to the battlefield
    7/7
    Edit: With the heavy legendary theme, I do wonder if there are goodies for D&T. Probably not, given the heavy multicolor focus.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Orb could also be colorless instead of zero mana, the translation isn't completely clear yet.
    Even ignoring the first bit, it's super punishing against combo and against cantrip piles.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Edit: With the heavy legendary theme, I do wonder if there are goodies for D&T. Probably not, given the heavy multicolor focus.
    Man it would be sweet if we got some cool power-creeped goodies in naya colors.

Edit: Just looked through the whole set. Nope.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    Even ignoring the first bit, it's super punishing against combo and against cantrip piles.
    It seems pretty sweet against Elves, nerfing Cradle and ruining their Glimpse chain.

Edit: The Orb produces colorless instead of nothing.

Damping Sphere
    Artifact
    If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount.
    Each spell a player casts costs more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn.
    I've edited my post above since WotC just released the entire thing.

Icy Manipulator reprint! I know it isn't good, but was my favorite card in 1994.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Mar 2007

Despite being blue, this seems pretty sweet for D&T (and maybe some other decks):

Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
    Legendary Creature — Human Rogue
    1/3
    Creatures you control with power or toughness 1 or less can't be blocked.
    It sucks that it can't be fetched with Recruiter of the Guard, though.

Marshal Binaria

{ white } { white } { white }

Creature - Human/Knight

3/3

Other creatures you control get +1/+1
    Decent for Dnt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Does Damping Sphere Combo with mana flare and heartbeat of spring?

Damping Sphere
    Artifact
    If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount.
    Each spell a player casts costs 1 more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn.

• If multiple replacement effects would modify what mana an ability you control produces, choose one to apply. After that, determine if any others are applicable. A replacement effect can't apply to the same event more than once this way.
    • Damping Sphere's second ability counts spells that were cast during a turn even if Damping Sphere wasn't on the battlefield as they were cast. For example, if Damping Sphere itself is the third spell you cast in a turn, the next spell you cast costs 3 more to cast.
    • To determine a spell's total cost, start with the mana cost (or an alternative cost), add any cost increases, then apply any cost reductions. The spell's converted mana cost remains unchanged, no matter what the total cost to cast it was.

Thread Information