London

Re: [Deck] Foretold Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Can you post the new list?
    Here's a link to the VOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Here's a link to the VOD.
    Thanks, I tried to find that before and somehow it didn't want to work then.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thanks for the stream, it was really entertaining to watch. Unfortunate that the Burning Wish plan didn't work out, though it was expected. It seems to me that we should definitively include four copies of Restore Balance in the main, as the main appeal of As Foretold is playing broken spells for free that we couldn't otherwise play.

I see that you cut the Dack Fayden from the board, is that because you didn't like him in this deck? It seems to me that he could fit quite nicely, as he provides a good way of getting rid of useless cards in our hand (in order to hide behind a Bridge). Have anyone tried Dack in the main even?

Also, as a side note, I tried the deck on xmage, and it is absolutely hilarious to play. One the highlights was beating burn with a turn one Chalice, followed up with a turn two As Foretold into Restore Balance with no cards in hand. The Mind Twist mode of Restore Balance also allowed me to win against Storm and Sneak and Show. I will probably get the deck in paper and bring it to some tournaments : )

Is there a reason everyone seems to use spirit guides instead of lotus petal?

Petal would let you As Foretold on turn 1. Coupled with the other acceleration you can discard your opponents hand with Restore Balance rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Is there a reason everyone seems to use spirit guides instead of lotus petal?

Petal would let you As Foretold on turn 1. Coupled with the other acceleration you can discard your opponents hand with Restore Balance rather quickly.
    Good question, but I think that if we cut the Spirit Guides we will probably not have enough cards to pitch to Chrome Mox.

Anyone still playing this deck? I've not played that much lately, but I plan on trying this out again. Would be nice to hear if there are any updates.

Anyway, I will get back with results once I have some to report.

Aug 2016
    Olympia, WA

I've been playing this deck locally and I just love it. Have taken it to our local weekly proxy-allowed event twice now.

The first week, made it to the finals through Reanimator Depths (leyline of the void and bridge did great work here), BUG midrange (bridge again doing work), a vial-smasher deck, and then lost to a bant stoneblade deck with planeswalkers in the finals.

The second week, I beat death and taxes pretty handily, then lost to a BUG leovold/planeswalker deck, then lost to grixis pyromancer.

The bant player I lost to got a gideon, ally of zendikar out, which was problematic, and the BUG deck got a Liliana The Last Hope out, which was also problematic. Basically planeswalkers can be very problematic for us it seems.

There's been times where I was getting killed through a bridge, chalice, and moon with a deathrite shaman gobbling up spells.... but that's uncommon since we have outs to him (Jace & Chandra).

I heard people kicking the tires on Abrade in the board instead of Force, I only have 1 so I gave it a try, it did some good work killing deathrites and Leovolds post-board.

Great to hear that someone else is still playing the deck!

I've only tried the deck irl once, which was at our local monthly legacy. Unfortunately I got a bye, so only got to play 3 matches, going 2-1. I won against BG Depths (they really don't want to face a deck with Moons and Bridges main) and Shardless BUG, and then lost to Infect. I was actually quite unlucky against Infect, and had a lot or turns to draw action, but only saw lands. All in all I was actually a bit surprised that the deck felt as strong as it did.

Planeswalkers are indeed problematic, which I've discovered when playing on xmage. I guess that our only hope is to land our own planeswalkers as well, and just race them. Chandra can also keep opposing walkers in check with her +1.

Abrade is probably quite good, but I'm a bit uncertain whether we shouldn't just play more copies of Fiery Confluence instead. It's just such a strong card, and we shouldn't have any problems casting it in this deck. So right now I'm leaning towards 2 Fiery Confluence and 1 Abrade in the board.

Another issue I've been thinking about is whether we should really play 4 copies of Jace. Jace is obviously great, but a recurring problem has been to try to hide behind a bridge while getting brainstorm-locked due to the inability to fetch (due to Blood Moon). So perhaps it would be good to switch one Jace for a copy of Dack Fayden, who is quite good at getting rid of useless cards. Thoughts on that?

Hi guys and gals. Sorry I haven't been active on the source for a while. Truth is I haven't been active playing magic at all. Nothing really interests me at the moment, which is weird since I've been playing every day for years until now...

So back on topic;
    @Burning wish was cute but not great. I think it's better in a deck with cantrips as the toolbox aspect of it wasn't really there anyway. It can only find one of the two combo pieces (restore balance/ancestral vision but not As Foretold) which makes it unreliable. Having answers to chalice of the void for zero, Telemin Performance, Pyroclasm etc is good but didn't come up enough to be worth it. Paying 2 mana for a wish is also a lot when you need to get lockpieces out asap.

@Dack Fayden is not bad but more of a metacall I think. I cut him for Fiery Confluence as a way to deal with artifacts but also as an Answer to planeswalkers (which the deck really struggles against). 4 mana is a lot though. Those soon became Abrade which is a very good card in general but not an answer to Jace... I haven't really solved the planeswalker issue. I tried Chaos Warp and Keranos but neither were great. Whitefaces played Dack Fayden maindeck and liked him.

@Lotus Petal. The chrome mox aspect is what makes it worse than SSG. I don't know if we can afford to play some Petals on top of the other acceleration but it seems worse than SSG/chrome mox.

@4 Jace. The deck is kinda clunky but for the same reason I don't think burning wish is good enough I don't want to shave Jaces (for the risk of drawing multiples). Flexibility comes at the cost of mana and with this deck you abuse the fact that you have a lot of mana and the most broken things to spend it on.

Hi Mackan, nice to see you back in the thread.

Quite plausible comments on all of the issues I think. I will probably try one Dack Fayden in the main, and perhaps be content with one copy of Fiery Confluence in the board. Abrade is not that impressive, but the flexibility may be worth it.

On the topic of combo, is the current opinion that Flusterstorm is the best option? It's a bit unfortunate that our reliance on casting spells for free makes it impossible to use some of the other lock pieces (like Trinisphere), but that's the price we have to pay.

Here is my current list:
    https://imgur.com/sa7dZJV

I haven't play that many games with the deck maybe 30 or so, but it is super fun. I think that since we are in the stompy-esque archetype we need more moon effects, I was running 3 magus, I would like to run 4 but I cant cut anything else.

In:
    +3 Magus of the Moon

Out:
    -1 Jace
    -1 Chandra
    -1 Bridge

And because this deck is so fun I added a fun card:

In:
    +1 Wheel of Fate

Out:
    -1 Magus of the Moon

I was watching a Streamer stream this deck and one of the viewers recommended adding Cascade Bluffs, this card has been nothing but great in the deck, I think 1 of is right too.

I also agree Plainswalkers are problematic with the deck, maybe we should add Chaos warp in the sideboard? I run 3x Chaos Warp in my Bloodmoon Stompy SB.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

For opposing PWers we now have Sorcerous Spyglass from Ixalan.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Hey! This is me!

As Foretold Stax / Control

It was a weekly, and I went 2-1. I somehow won against Infect, which can be an awful MU. I lost 80% vs Infect on the Bridge plan, and rightly so. It is a bad MU; P Fire makes it maybe split. I lost to Sneak and Show, another horrible MU, but when you don’t run Bridge. I got one off of Show but got Release the Ants’d out of the game.

P Fire here kills Thalia, ya know. I’ve played other weeklies and Zuran Orb is a champ vs non-blue strategies (I Geddoned a Nic Fit player into sadness).

I'm still super retooling this deck. The List a week ago:

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Tolaria West
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Karakas

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Punishing Fire
    4 As Foretold
    4 Intuition
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Ancestral Vision
    3 Restore Balance
    4 Force of Will

SB:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Dack Fayden
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    3 I forget
    Last edited by frogger42; 11-29-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

frogger42, I like your innovation, especially the Tolaria West tech! The list looks pretty optimised as well. I guess the sideboard slots are Blood Moon, or you don't need them at all? Do you ever board out the As Foretold plan,
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

Thanks for sharing the list and the video! I really like what you did there and will test it later if I can get the cards on modo again.
    Could you explain your choices and your experience playing the deck?:)

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    frogger42, I like your innovation, especially the Tolaria West tech! The list looks pretty optimised as well. I guess the sideboard slots are Blood Moon, or you don't need them at all? Do you ever board out the As Foretold plan
    I've played it for 4 weeks and have never sided out As Foretold. That said, I haven't sided in Blood Moon, but I tend to face Sneak and Show a lot (bad deck for it!) and BUG hasn't made an appearance at the shop in a while. The "I Forget" was Blood Moon x3 - I forgot because I never sided them in.

So I've mostly played Stompy (Chalice - Aggro) and Stax (Chalice - Control). My experience with Stax specifically is this - Thalia: get rekd. That one card slows down every prison piece, threat, and mana acceleration in the deck. Punishing Fire is the best way to deal with Thalia, as it can hit Mom and recur to kill Thalia next turn. I have a lot of experience running P Fire, and I think it's the best Stax piece since Chalice of the Void. Especially with Dack Fayden ;)

My experience with the deck is limited to about a month, but I LOVE Balance. The toughest thing about it is, even if you run white (which I can't seem to get to work), its Suspend 6 makes it totally worthless. It's really a combo piece with AF, which is super super awkward. Combo-wise, you're probably better off casting Show and Tell. That's what it feels like sometimes.

That said, you're way more resilient, and your threat density is high. You don't rely on combo to win, but your combo gets you VERY far ahead. 6 Planeswalkers + Intuition leaves a lot of finishers, and P Fire is my personal favorite removal for a slow, grindy m-f- deck. Opposing Planeswalkers are very tough on the Bridge + Blood Moon plan, especially with a super low threat density. P Fire also deals with them.

I only side in Bridge vs Cheaty decks, Sneak and Show, anything with a 20/20, Rean, etc. Even then, I want something more proactive to smash face, and that might end up being Venser x3, esp to combo with Karakas. I'm a firm believer that no prison plan is perfect, no one ever gets fully locked out of the game; and that the best defense is a strong offence. Even in prison. You need to close the game out as soon as possible. This has always been my experience with Stax and Stompy.

Right now I'm shaving a few things to try out Burning Wish, which flexes the MD really well. 3-4 more copies of your powerhouse Suspend cards, plus some serious SB outs in the MD. The biggest problem is your access to playable GY hate (it's Reminisce currently... yuck).

Thanks for the Qs! I've been doing okayish with it, got some 2-1s and a 1-2 last night. I think it still needs some tinkering.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

Thread Information