Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Two Green

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: [Deck] Two Green

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post

And just a question;
    What's your win-con against decks that don't need more than one land to build a winning board position?
    those decks would likely be S&T, Dredge, Belcher, ANT, maybe Elves, Painter Servant, Reanimator, AND likely anything else with moxes / lotus petals / aether vial (goblins, merfolk, D&T, Slivers).

Creature decks can be fought with the land destruction combined with tabernacle / glacial chasm.

The spell decks, will be slowed by Chalice at 0/1/2, HOWEVER, you NEED trinisphere to stop them from winning spontaneously. Trinisphere, combined with land destruction is why decks concede to stax. It makes magic UNPLAYABLE, and it should be included here.

You do not need any win conditions other than your combo pieces if you include trinisphere and commit to the prison strategy.

riftstone portal might merit an inclusion too if you chose to go white.

White stax decks suffer to consistency issues. Same with black versions. Green has the amazing ability to use GSZ to find psuedo combo / lock pieces.

It is Highly likely you will want sylvan safekeeper in your deck becauase it protects your combo, AND although it cost 1, it can be tutored for with GSZ. Not to mention its cost is negligible since u plan to have an abundance of lands.

Also, if you plan on using tabernacle / land destruction to control creatures, you need maze of ith.

Sylvan library is pretty necessary here to improve consistncy. It comes own on T1 and is just stellar.

Also, seems like the deck might have problems against other strategies like lands. If they land a exploration and find a life from the loam rather quickly, its gonna be bad. I'll mention it again that ground seal prevents decks from reanimating, using life from the loam, death rite shaman, and extracting / removing your cards from the grave. It cost 2 mana AND replaces itself. It does alot of work in this deck and against other decks. It should at the very least be a sb card.

Also, Words of war seems like a mediocre / bad reason for inclusion. I havent playtested the deck but it seems unnecessary. I feel like some kind of recursion for your creatures that get killed would be more important since you have to play them out fast with the risk of having them killed. If they get killed it really puts a damper in your plan.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I'm not sold on MD Trinisphere. Whenever I play a deck with Sol lands, it starts in the MD and wanders into the SB eventually. The uselessness/backfire potential is just too great in many match-ups.

Riftstone Portal is bad. How are you going to get it into the GY?

Sylvan Safekeeper has potential, but what to cut?

The deck does have glaring issues at dealing with fatties. More on that below.

Ground Seal is a card I'm considering for the board. But again, what to cut?

My experience so far with Words of War is either that it wins games or is a kill-on-sight card. People are scared shitless of it, especially when there is a Library already on the field. However, it is also slow. Maybe it's more of a SB card, who knows.

For now, to account for the fatties, I'm going to run a SB Maze of It/Chasm and a MD Maze. Words of War are going to replaced with Abrupt Deay to see how good that one deals with fatties.

Current list I'm looking to test with the crucible snek, basically Sylvan Plug Stax:

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Smokestack

1 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tireless Tracker
    2 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Azusa, Lost But Seeking
    4 Thought-knot Seer
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth

3 Sylvan Library
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    7 green fetch
    5 Forest

Unsure of a sideboard, will probably check the plug thread for that, shouldn't be too much trouble.

I have really been wanting to run Smokestack with Tireless Tracker but in the end it may just be too cute and/or unnecessary. Tracker is a threat/CA engine all on her own, TKS is a further threat. With low toughness Asuza and Excavator (well ok I just actually checked their toughness, not bad), I don't really want to run something like Toxic Deluge, nor the nic fit route of Deed. Keeping straight green (or G<>) does limit the amount of removal available.

I'm intrigued with Words of War. Crazy with library :)

Could see a GR version with Loam, Punishing Fire, and Words. But initially I will try to test something with sphere and few smokestacks for removal. I even thought of full 4 Smokestack and including 3 Ensnaring Bridge, ala Braids Stax, but that seemed sort of odd, and very reliant on having smokey stay for a few turns. TKS instead helps disrupt and add a clock.

I've been impressed with Titania the last couple times I ran her in BUG fit, although I had a Ghost Quarter there to enable some silly turns with her. Shouldn't be difficult here to abuse her as well.

Edit: Deathrite might go, considering no black here. Will have to see how often he gets fetched, but I'm thinking with Chalice/Trinisphere/Library as openers, might not be used that often. Will want to save GSZ for tracker/crucible.
    Last edited by square_two; 07-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Could see a GR version with Loam, Punishing Fire, and Words. But initially I will try to test something with sphere and few smokestacks for removal. I even thought of full 4 Smokestack and including 3 Ensnaring Bridge, ala Braids Stax, but that seemed sort of odd, and very reliant on having smokey stay for a few turns. TKS instead helps disrupt and add a clock.
    I could see a version of Words/PF working if you go full "Pew Pew Pew" mode while hiding behind Ensnaring Bridge/Glacial Chasm. If you stay GR, the opportunity cost to run both is pretty low, aside from putting both in the deck. I'd definitely run Ballista to complement both, though. Even without Library, you could use Words to shoot something, then utilize the rest of the your mana to shoot something with PF or pump your Ballista. There should definitely be ways to maximize the use of your mana.

But it would probably another deck in that case.

Jul 2011
    Germany

@square_two i like your idea!

I would brew something like this for Barooks Thread:

// 60 Maindeck

// 13 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    3 Smokestack
    3 Trinisphere

// 20 Creature
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Tireless Tracker
    3 Ramunap Excavator
    3 Matter Reshaper
    2 Eternal Witness

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Sylvan Library

// 24 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 City of Traitors
    5 Forest
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Ghost Quarter

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 3 Kitchen Finks
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 3 Warping Wail//Dismember//Spatial Contortion
    SB: 2 Garruk Relentless

It stays Monogreen, features new Crucible-Guy, Landdestruction, Combodisruption, Removal and Smokestack-Abuse via Tracker-Clues or Reshaper too. Ballista itself is the only "endgame" stuff but it simply is a nice manasink and can be online turn 1 - on top its colorless. Sideboard is a quick sketch but should adress most matchups. I tried to avoid to many 1off ideas or toys - it is more streamlined.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

@MD.Ghost: Really like that take. I'd try to reduce the count on double green cards. Perhaps Thragtusk instead of finks and with Smokestack, Garruk could easy be in the mainboard...
    I still think Green Sun's Zenith should be in the deck, but maybe the 3 Sylvan Lybraries will do the job aswell.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by P210 View Post
    @MD.Ghost: Really like that take. I'd try to reduce the count on double green cards. Perhaps Thragtusk instead of finks and with Smokestack, Garruk could easy be in the mainboard...
    I still think Green Sun's Zenith should be in the deck, but maybe the 3 Sylvan Lybraries will do the job aswell.
    the only real reason to play this deck over other colors is because of green sun zenith. If you arnt playing it you are doing it wrong... It's an auto include 4x. I'd play 6-8 if i could because its that good. Think of it like a survival of the fittest...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Was looking to see if this deck was doable in Modern, even with the lack of GSZ and Wasteland. While looking for replacements, I noticed Collected Company.

It doesn't dig super deep, but it can find and cast pretty much any two of our duders. Worth it as GSZ 5-8? Or maybe just 5-6? Or not so much? What do you guys think?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Company Math was worked out a bit ago, I think it came down to "If your not running at lest 22 targets, don't bother". Also this deck is not built to abuse it as efficiently as the Modern decks are. Because your looking at trying to get cards you require on the field, not amass a group in a Midrange deck that happens to have a combo.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Was looking to see if this deck was doable in Modern, even with the lack of GSZ and Wasteland. While looking for replacements, I noticed Collected Company.

It doesn't dig super deep, but it can find and cast pretty much any two of our duders. Worth it as GSZ 5-8? Or maybe just 5-6? Or not so much? What do you guys think?
    The creature density of the deck is probably to low to make good use of it.

@MD.Ghost: The lack of removal aside from Ballista is going to hurt you badly.

Mar 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/159101255

Mats played an interesting version of the deck, forsaking MD Chalices for Explorations, Crop Rotations and the Dark Depths combo alongside Loam. He went 8-2 in the league runs, probably could have 5-0ed the second one without mistakes in the last match.

Looks like a pretty good approach to me, even if it still needs work.

Any thoughts on Chancellor of the Tangle for more acceleration?

Isn't Chancellor just a bad ESG? It's not like you want that big dumb idiot in your opener...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Only time chancellor would be better is a Chrome Mox build to occasionally get 4 mana turn 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/159101255

Mats played an interesting version of the deck, forsaking MD Chalices for Explorations, Crop Rotations and the Dark Depths combo alongside Loam. He went 8-2 in the league runs, probably could have 5-0ed the second one without mistakes in the last match.

Looks like a pretty good approach to me, even if it still needs work.
    That's roughly the approach that was taken with the old Garden lists, and this can work it even better thanks to GSZ, Azusa, and Excavator, but what you're going to find is that your combo is slower than any other combo, and slower than pretty much all aggro. So it doesn't actually help with your overall numbers that much, just makes you better at what you were already good at.

I can't wait to build a version of this deck.

A couple thoughts I've had while browsing this thread

1.) What fatties are you having trouble with specifically? I assume they aren't Legendary because of the Karakas, so then I guess they're Goyf/Angler/non-Legendary stuff from Reanimator? If that's the case, then Song of the Dryads looks pretty good as P210 said. If I understand the rules involved here, you can Wasteland their guy after you enchant it.

2.) If Trinisphere isn't working out, there's Sphere of Resistance and Thorn of Amethyst. They're more reliable on turn 1 with 7-8 sol lands, or another land plus Mox. I'm not sure which would be better for the deck, but I would lean towards Sphere. It hurts Delver more than Thorn, and while it does hurt our creatures too, it looks like we'll usually have the mana to cope with it better than the opponent.

I'm eager to see how this deck develops, and I'm sad I don't have enough time to build it tonight :(

I've been messing around with building a version of this deck in Modern, and the biggest change is that I'm running some of the White DnT disruption package. The Thalia's and Aven Mindcensor might be really good here in some numbers.

I'd also really, really strongly recommend at least one copy of The Gitrog Monster. He's an additional "extra land" effect, and especially in a deck like this, he just draws an insane amount of cards. Also makes a really, really strong combo with Glacial Chasm locks, because you can just sac the Chasm to him, then return it and another land during your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    I can't wait to build a version of this deck.

A couple thoughts I've had while browsing this thread

1.) What fatties are you having trouble with specifically? I assume they aren't Legendary because of the Karakas, so then I guess they're Goyf/Angler/non-Legendary stuff from Reanimator? If that's the case, then Song of the Dryads looks pretty good as P210 said. If I understand the rules involved here, you can Wasteland their guy after you enchant it.

2.) If Trinisphere isn't working out, there's Sphere of Resistance and Thorn of Amethyst. They're more reliable on turn 1 with 7-8 sol lands, or another land plus Mox. I'm not sure which would be better for the deck, but I would lean towards Sphere. It hurts Delver more than Thorn, and while it does hurt our creatures too, it looks like we'll usually have the mana to cope with it better than the opponent.

I'm eager to see how this deck develops, and I'm sad I don't have enough time to build it tonight :(
    1. Atm I'm sticking with a mono green list, so Karakas is out. Main problems are cheated fatties and Knight of the Reliquary next to Deathrite Shaman and perhaps Delver. Thats why im testing some mix of Song of the Dryads,Walking Ballista and Engineered Explosives / Ratchet Bomb...
    Goyf and Angler can be handled/stalled with Tracker, pump until he's bigger or at least can trade. Perhaps some Ensnaring Bridges in the sideboard for Sneak / Reanimator decks? This also would have a good synergy, if playing Smokestack. DRS needs to be handled asap, since he's mainbord hate against the main gameplan of the deck. Ballista sadly is subobtimal against DRS. Engineered Explosives or Ratchet Bomb really shines against CMC 1 and 2 permanents . Dunno if we can support Explosives but its usually faster than Bomb, and 3 mana for blowing up multiple DRS / Delver is always a pleasure. With Moxen it should also be viable to set Explosives on 2 and we usually don't want it on 3, since it will kill most of our stuff too.

2. I think the deck should play 3-4 Trinispheres.
    There aren't many things that can slip through Trinisphere and recurring Wastelands and I really want more lockpieces than those 4 Chalices. Other decks playing Trinisphere like MUD also do not have more ways to cast Trinisphere turn 1 than we do. So for me thats not a reason to switch to Sphere of Resistance or Thorn. The only deck I prefere Sphere of Resistance is colorless Stax with Tangle Wire and Manlands...

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Here's my initial take:
    Green Drazi:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    4 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Tireless Tracker
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Garruk Relentless
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Dryad Arbor
    8 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    4 Hashep Oasis
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Wasteland
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I ran this list today at a 4 round event.

3 Walking Ballista
    3 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Living Wish
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Nissa, Vital Force

4 Forest
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Sideboard

1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Thragtusk
    1 The Tabernacle at Penrell Vale
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    1 Wasteland
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Leyline of the Void

Round 1 vs Esper Delver

Game 1 I kept a hand with 2 Chalice, Trinisphere, Tracker, Tomb, City, Forest. My first 5 spells got countered, and I died. Game 2 I was able to Do The Thing! Chalice for 1 on turn 1 stuck, then Trinisphere stuck... and the game drew out far too long for my liking. He wasn't doing anything, but neither was I. Tracker get drawing cards which was good, but he has a Batterskull which slowing my attack. A bunch of early Tombs got me low on life. If I chose to attack with a huge tracker, I'd be forced to throw away an Arbor or my Azusa. Eventually I draw into the combo, Waste him 3 times in 1 turn, and that's pretty much it. Game 3 was close. He starts with Delver, followed by a True Name, but on my Turn 3 I play Titania with a Ghost Quarter up. I would have won the race even after using Tombs a few times, but he had the Explosives for zero so Titania tokens couldn't win. So close, which felt good.

Round 2 vs Big Eldrazi

He's playing Oblivion Sower and Ulamog along with all the cheap stompy guys. I wasn't able to Wasteland him repeatedly, and I just get over run twice. Here's where I noticed my build is extremely clunky sometimes. I'm playing a wish board + 4 Leylines, but 4 Chalices and 4 Trinispheres main. I would have loved to take out the artifacts, but that would actually just weaken my deck, because I couldn't Wish for anything that I would board in. I'll have to work on this, and my first instinct is that Trinispheres need to go to the board, or be dropped altogether.

Round 3 - No Show

I wallow in shame in the 0/2 bracket, where my opponent doesn't even bother to play. I watched a sweet match between Big Eldrazi and 4 color Loam with a Ramunap to Green Sun for. He got to Wasteland his opponent for days, I'm super jelly.

Round 4 vs Grixis Delver

Game 1 Daze and Force beat the crap out of what I'm trying to do again. Wish for Maze stabilizes me for a few turns, but he draws the Bolt and kills me. Game 2 Walking Ballista takes out a Delver, but again Daze and Force obliterate me.

- - -

The deck was very cool, but I'm gonna make some serious changes before I play it again. Chalice + Trinisphere + Wish Board is extremely clunky, and having no removal hurt a lot. Trinsphere is either moving to the board, or getting cut for next time. I think I'll be adding black next time for Toxic Deluge, and I'm also considering Abrupt Decay and Liliana. If I cut Chalice, then I can play Deathrite and explore some other options too, like Exploration and Crop Rotation. There's a link to a Twitch vod on page 2 showing some game play with those cards, and it was pretty cool. Openings of Tomb + Mox + Ramunap, turn 2 Crop Rotation for Wasteland, use it, play it from the yard to use it again can be better than Chalice for 1 openings. I think I'd like the Wish plan a lot more without the maindeck artifacts, so I'll probably stick with that.

The particularly spicy cards I ran today, Titania and Nissa Vital Force will stick around for next time as well. Fast Titania with a Wasteland plan makes a scary clock, and she dodges Push and Decay (and edict effects). I didn't get to cast Nissa, but she seems great. Making a huge attacker or blocker is great, and it's especially great that she can emblem a one sided Horn of Greed on her second turn. The -3 could also be useful, but I'm more excited about the +1 and Emblem.

I'll be on vacation for about a week, but I will post more results when I get them.

Thread Information