Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Two Green

Hybrid View

[Deck] Two Green

First off, this is flat out @Barook's idea. I'm just posting it because I came up with the awesome name - and I really love the concept. The name references the casting cost of the main spells in the deck. 2G.

The basic idea is to use Ranumap Excavator and Azusa, Lost but Seeking to pull off complete land annihilation on your opponent, while slowing them down with lock pieces.

So, here's a tentative list and some thoughts on it. Totally still developing, so feel free to share ideas and comments.

Creatures (17)
    4x Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    4x Ranumap Excavator
    4x Tireless Tracker
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    1x Wurmcoil Engine

Search/Filter (10)
    3x Sylvan Library
    3x Realms Uncharted
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Artifacts (8)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Mox Diamond

Lands (25)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Wasteland
    1x Ghost Quarter
    4x Forest
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Thespian's Stage
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Inventor's Fair
    1x Horizon Canopy

Sideboard
    3x Krosan Grip
    4x Trinisphere
    4x Obstinate Baloth
    4x Ravenous Trap

I'm honestly not sure 4x Wasteland is the right call since the deck just plans to re-use the same lands over and over again. Replaced some of what would normally be basics with fetches to take advantage of Ranumap, Sylvan Library, and Tireless Tracker. Realms Uncharted is a bit of a wildcard, but it's a shuffle, it gets you a lot of lands, you're not super picky about whether or not they're in your hand or GY, and it lets you run some sweet singleton/combos, like the Stage/DD, Horizon Canopy, and Inventor's Fair. Decklist probably needs a Thragtusk or something maindeck for lifegain alongside the Wurmcoil Engine. With Inventor's Fair, adding a single Crucible of Worlds as a backup might be a good idea, but maybe just in the sideboard. Kind of feel like some Smuggler's Copter or Trinisphere, maybe Thorn of Amethyst.

Anyway, like I said, credit for the idea goes to Barook. I'm just trying to sketch out what a decklist might look like. 11 shuffles might not be enough for Library, but Realms pulls a massive 4 lands from your deck, and the longer the game goes, the thicker the GSZ's pile up in your deck.
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 06-27-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [Deck] Two Green

this deck is going to want some non-zero number of loam.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    this deck is going to want some non-zero number of loam.
    No, it really doesn't. Crucible and Loam deck both recur lands from the graveyard, but they work on fundamentally different axes.

I'm planning on attempting something similar but with Trinisphere and Smokestack. Possibly Bridge as well - though I'm unsure about how that dynamic would play out.

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    I'm planning on attempting something similar but with Trinisphere and Smokestack. Possibly Bridge as well - though I'm unsure about how that dynamic would play out.
    I've been testing something with Stack, Armageddon, Exploration, and the creature package in the OP plus Renegade Rallier and BoP. Nut draw is turn two Smokestack, turn three Geddon resulting in a scoop. I'm not really sure if this is anything but a casual deck though. It's hell of a lot of fun either way!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Posted this in the Sylvan Plug thread before, but the list is probably too different to be in the same deck:

3 City of Traitors
    3 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas
    1 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Forest
    1 Misty Rainforest

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    3 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth

1 Sylvan Library
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Living Wish

Sideboard: 14/15
    1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Minister of Pain
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Containment Priest
    1 open slot

This list is purely theorycrafted without actual testing against an opponent yet (still waiting for the Cockatrice update).

Living Wish is there for more consistency and to fetch the missing combo pieces. There are so many cards that could be included, so proper testing needs to be done what actually sticks.

I reallly like the idea of Tabernacle as tutor target - destroying all their lands into Tabernacle should do a proper clean-up job against anything they could throw against you, including TNN.

Side note: DRS probably doesn't fit the deck (nonbo with Chalice @1 and you don't want to exile your precious lands). Jitte might also be less stellar since most of the creatures aren't really good attackers. That might clear up some room for other stuff.

Volrath's Stronghold or Haunted Fengraf (to stay mono green) seems it could be good to keep up your creatures.

If you want mainboard lifegain, just use Courser of Kruphix.

If you can maintain positive land count with a consistent Azusa, Rishaden Port or Tabernacle would be useful, especially since with Tabernacle you could get to flawless victory state. It's also the tits against Pyromancers. Delver decks just shut down when they get hit with a Tabernacle trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

There's a very old 3color stax list called Sun Tower that played with a concept that included Sylvan Library and Words of Wilding, making a lot of bears quickly. You could look in that direction. Doesn't play well with Tabby, bit I'm pretty sure Chasm is better here anyway. It also goes well with the name, Two Green.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    There's a very old 3color stax list called Sun Tower that played with a concept that included Sylvan Library and Words of Wilding, making a lot of bears quickly. You could look in that direction. Doesn't play well with Tabby, bit I'm pretty sure Chasm is better here anyway. It also goes well with the name, Two Green.
    You're the MVP of the day. Not because Words of Wilding is great, but because it made me remember another card of the cycle: Words of War

It doesn't tax the deck as heavy as the PF/Grove combo, in fact, it only requires a single to be good to go, it's repeatable removal AND a wincon on its own. The fact that it makes multiple Sylvan Libraries insane instead of dead cards is just the icing on the cake. This card might be the perfect fit for the deck, since it draws a metric shitton between Tracker clues and Canopy recursion anyway. CC in the right range, mows down swarms and Planeswalker alike and it even functions behind a Glacial Chasm. Awesome.

I would still run multiple Ballistas to complement it, preventing a lock-out with Revoker or Needle.

I need to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to incorporate this card.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    You're the MVP of the day. Not because Words of Wilding is great, but because it made me remember another card of the cycle: Words of War

It doesn't tax the deck as heavy as the PF/Grove combo, in fact, it only requires a single to be good to go, it's repeatable removal AND a wincon on its own. The fact that it makes multiple Sylvan Libraries insane instead of dead cards is just the icing on the cake. This card might be the perfect fit for the deck, since it draws a metric shitton between Tracker clues and Canopy recursion anyway. CC in the right range, mows down swarms and Planeswalker alike and it even functions behind a Glacial Chasm. Awesome.

I would still run multiple Ballistas to complement it, preventing a lock-out with Revoker or Needle.

I need to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to incorporate this card.
    Thanks. Glad I could help, Angel Stax was the first legacy deck I built that wasn't ported from standard and went through many flavors after that, then played stompy varients before moving on (ported first one; was UG Madness), so anytime I see Stax varients, I inevitably look at my time with it.

iirc, Emidln used to use it off and on in Sun Tower (pretty sure it was his baby before he switched to storm). I liked it less because it did nothing for the advancement of smokestack counters. If you get a library and a Words of Wilding out with a Trinisphere, they really never get to play magic again.

The reason I prefer Wilding is because Stax obv plays to the board, and while damage can win a game, Wilding generates a body capable of being more impactful longer on the board.

But hey, if you think splashing is better, go for it. I'm sure it'll be good, if just not my style. I'll probably get around to building stax again in the next year. In the meantime, get a good list so I don't have to work it out myself

Mar 2007

Got to play a few more games, even against some real decks like Maverick or D&T. The deck definitely needs some work, but it does have potential:

- Tabernacle is THE SHIT against creature-heavy decks and wins games. FULL STOP. Although the full wipe out was rather rare. In most cases, it was a gradual decline.
    - Words of War can be a tad bit slow without accel, but so far, it did a pretty decent job at shotting down unbeloved creatures, even without the combo. Turning your natural draws into Shocks in the time of need is suprisingly effective. However, once it's combined with Library (currently running a 3/3 split), all hell breaks lose. Definitely a card worth further testing.
    - Trinisphere disappointed me so far. It was either win-more, did nothing or even hindered me instead of the opponent. It's gonna get moved to the SB for another Knight and a third MD Ballista.
    - Ballista is fantastic. Going with a 3 MD/1 SB split for now.
    - I still feel like the deck needs more removal, especially when it comes to artifacts and enchantments. Not sure how I'm going to solve that one yet.

Current, updated list for reference:

// 61 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void

// 15 Creature
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    3 Walking Ballista
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Ramunap Excavator

// 6 Enchantment
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Words of War

// 25 Land
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Forest
    1 Karakas
    2 Savannah
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Taiga

// 7 Sorcery
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Living Wish

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    3 Trinisphere

// 8 Creature
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

// 4 Land
    1 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Bojuka Bog

Jul 2011
    Germany

@Barook you really want a Tracker as a Wish Target? If you already run R i would clearly see Magus of the Moon as a Wish-Win Target for some Matchups/Board Situations.

I am glad you like Ballista too - with all the Mana including Sollands its a really solid card.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Krosan Grip or Beast Within seems the correct line here for that removal issue.

Isn't Chancellor just a bad ESG? It's not like you want that big dumb idiot in your opener...

Only time chancellor would be better is a Chrome Mox build to occasionally get 4 mana turn 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Edit: stupid phone

Jul 2013
    Texas

[Deck] Two Green

I think Copter is great. It's just so insane with fetch arbor, basically a Delver that finds you a better threat. You have Warping Wail too which seems really good with it (I am considering trying that as well). Ballista is a good card but I don't know how much we can really exploit it. Ancient Tomb adds up...

I played the deck at FNM tonight, our local FNM isn't legacy but there are always a few players to be found. Unfortunately, the death and taxes player I really wanted to try out left early, and I ended up playing 2 matches against Reanimator. I went 0 - 2, 1 - 2, losing both matches, but the games were close. List is here: https://deckbox.org/sets/1770871 I ended up on a sideboard of

3 trinisphere
    2 choke
    3 krosan grip
    2 thorn of amythest
    1 bojuka bog
    4 swords to plowshares

Playing reanimator, I wished for a main deck bojuka bog of course, and a maze of ith would also have been welcome for the non-legendary beaters his deck presented. I like city of traitors better than ancient tomb, I think I will flip the numbers from 3 tomb, 2 ciity to 3 city, 2 tomb. Courser of kruphix doesn't do squat in the reanimator match, i hated drawing him.

sideboarding, match one

in: 2 choke
    3 trinisphere
    2 thorn

out: 1 knight of the reliquary
    1 courser of kruphix
    2 armageddon
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 tireless tracker
    1 temple garden

unfortunately, my opponent heard me tell another player, who had just opened the choke invocation, "I have two of those tonight!" and he brought in stormtide leviathan. feels bad, man. Oh, and when I fetched my first land I realised I left the bog in the SB. It didn't come up, but still.

sideboarding, match 2

in: 1 bojuka bog
    1 swords to plowshares
    3 trinisphere
    2 thorn of amythest

out: 1 knight of the reliquary
    1 courser of kruphix
    2 armageddon
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 tireless tracker
    1 temple garden

The game that i managed to win involved an uncounterable GSZ into prime time, for karakas and tabernacle.

This deck feels fine! I was sure I was walking in with a deck that would fold to any disruption, but there are enough pieces that are generating card advantage that you only need one or two to stick, and especially in this match up the dark depths combo had my opponent allowing more minor pieces to resolve. Don't want to force the exploration or the ramunap when they might just marit lage or titania you out of nowhere.

I thought I would want an umezawa's jitte or two, to make my green 2/3's and 2/4's relevant, and maybe I do, but not vs reanimator.

This deck makes a lot of mana, floating city mana, dropping a land, then replaying it from the graveyard, lotus cobra, etc, etc. Ballista would be a fine addition, but what to cut without screwing up the GSZ package? Maybe the courser, and a ramunap.

edit: Game 1, match 1, I made turn two titania, protector of argoth and two 5/3 tokens. He drew out with griselbrand and tidespouted his way to barely winning.... and I had misplayed city of traitors, costing me a token. Salted myself for sure.

edit 2: Opponent was running some weird sideboard creatures, and two of them came up big... empiryeal archangel ate a lethal marit lage attack, on top of the stormtide i already mentioned. brutal.

played against brain478 on mtgo tonight, their list had thalia, chalice, azusa, arbor, gsz, scooze... I have ANT on mtgo and I got worked.

May 2016
    Maine

This is the list me, brains478, and mzfroste have been playing around with on MTGO for the past week or so. Highexalted played us against the list last night and mentioned y’all were playing around with Azuza and Ramunap Excavator, so I figured I would pop in with some results and the 75, even though it’s more comparable to a black-less aggro loam than it is the old Sylvan Plug style lists that are being adapted here. The list started out as a clunky attempt to leverage Ramunap Excavator, Azusa, and Lotus Cobra into a top end of Titania, Protector of Argoth and Primeval Titan. That ended up being a little too swingy, but we’ve been modifying the decklist as we go to make up for some of the problems with our initial build.

Maindeck (60)
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    2 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Crop Rotation
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    2 Ghost Quarter
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Thespian's Stage
    4 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Sideboard (15)
    1 Crop Rotation
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Fiery Justice
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Choke

A couple notes about the current 75 in comparison to the builds from this thread-

We’re obviously a three-color deck, although red’s a very light splash. Our mana is a bit worse, and we are much weaker to Blood Moon and Back to Basics, however we trade that for a much more robust removal suite to allow more flexibility in dealing with the creatures that slip underneath the lock pieces, which are also less numerous in this build, just 2 Thalia, Teeg, and 4 Chalice MD and the Spheres in the board. As the mana is so color intensive, we are forced to eschew Sol Lands and thus cannot afford to run Trinisphere/Smokestack. This build does not need to lean as heavily on colorless artifact or as many spells/creatures with 2 colorless in their mana costs (although in a more Rotation heavy build an Ancient Tomb would help give more broken starts- it is definitely on the radar).

The big draws to white are an increased diversity in combo hate in Thalia and Teeg, as well as boosting the removal- we have a sweeper that doesn’t kill our Azuza and our other creatures, an efficient way to deal with bigger creatures like Angler and Goyf, and Knight, which has a ton of synergy with the rest of the deck.

Have 4 leagues with this deck in its current iteration- two 2/3s, a 3-2, a 4-1, as well as a 3-3 in this weeks’ legacy challenge (33rd on breakers, thanks Obama), and several of the losses can be attributed to learning the deck and playstyle as I go, as it’s very dissimilar to my typical Elves.

Thread Information