Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Two Green

Jul 2013
    Texas

Re: [Deck] Two Green

Went 3-1 last night, got lots of camera time.

Storm W 2-0
    Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165525725?t=01m11s
    Game 1: Turn 1 Chalice 1 and 0, eventually stick Thorn, win with Copter beatz
    Game 2: Turn 1 Thorn, turn 3 Choke

Grixis Delver W 2-0
    Game 1: Turn 1 Chalice 1, he never gets a second land besides Volc, I flood on lock pieces while he runs stuff into chalice hoping he can draw Sea and Angler, but eventually Revoker and Arbor get there
    Game 2: He leads on Delver, forces a Chalice, but I stay afloat until 2 life thanks to Choke, kill the Delver with Ratchet Bomb and stick a Baloth to win.

Miracles W 2-1
    Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165525725?t=01h53m09s
    Game 1 (not on camera): I think it's going OK but he just makes a bunch of land drops and miracles Entreat
    Game 2: He gets stuck on mana, so do I, but I recover faster and eventually win with Titania
    Game 3: He mulls to 3

Lands L 0-2
    Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165525725?t=02h27m58s
    This is pretty terrible all around, he has t1 Exploration in both games. I try to sandbag in game 1 to get chalice on 2 but make a sequencing error that kills that idea and eventually get marit laged. In game 2 I gamble that I can stop a tracker before it gets out of control and lose that bet.

Deck ran nicely last night but I think that I was a little lucky at times. I don't know about the black splash, it's either just play abrupt decay or try something else IMO, and that could be just playing the colorless removal spells like Spatial Contortion and Warping Wail. Would lose some other stuff as well but I do think the green core is good for this kind of deck as long as it can be supported with some removal. still need to find a Horizon Canopy... probably gonna have to bite the bullet and order.

2 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Tireless Tracker
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Kitchen Finks
    1 Obelisk Spider
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Scavenging Ooze

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    2 Ratchet Bomb

2 Sylvan Library
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Collective Brutality

1 Garruk Relentless

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    3 Forest
    3 Bayou
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Dryad Arbor

3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Choke
    2 Dismember
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Gloom
    1 Pulse of Murasa
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Diabolic Edict

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Went 3-1 again tonight. Lost to Grixis control, beat burn (wow pretty lucky!), parfait, and storm. Got storm with newly added Warping Wails. He ad nauseams and I get his infernal after the fact with it. Game 1 I revoked LED and that plus Scooze kept him at bay long enough. Burn I ran my first Goyf into bolt, second one was a 5/6 thanks to Eidolon. As sweet as Copter is, it may get cut. It's just underwhelming at times. It's super hit or miss. For a deck already plagued by variance it may be weak. Dunno what else to replace it with though. Maybe Ballista?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Your build is a bit different, but yes, Ballista would probably be a good addition.

Jul 2013
    Texas

[Deck] Two Green

I think Copter is great. It's just so insane with fetch arbor, basically a Delver that finds you a better threat. You have Warping Wail too which seems really good with it (I am considering trying that as well). Ballista is a good card but I don't know how much we can really exploit it. Ancient Tomb adds up...

I played the deck at FNM tonight, our local FNM isn't legacy but there are always a few players to be found. Unfortunately, the death and taxes player I really wanted to try out left early, and I ended up playing 2 matches against Reanimator. I went 0 - 2, 1 - 2, losing both matches, but the games were close. List is here: https://deckbox.org/sets/1770871 I ended up on a sideboard of

3 trinisphere
    2 choke
    3 krosan grip
    2 thorn of amythest
    1 bojuka bog
    4 swords to plowshares

Playing reanimator, I wished for a main deck bojuka bog of course, and a maze of ith would also have been welcome for the non-legendary beaters his deck presented. I like city of traitors better than ancient tomb, I think I will flip the numbers from 3 tomb, 2 ciity to 3 city, 2 tomb. Courser of kruphix doesn't do squat in the reanimator match, i hated drawing him.

sideboarding, match one

in: 2 choke
    3 trinisphere
    2 thorn

out: 1 knight of the reliquary
    1 courser of kruphix
    2 armageddon
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 tireless tracker
    1 temple garden

unfortunately, my opponent heard me tell another player, who had just opened the choke invocation, "I have two of those tonight!" and he brought in stormtide leviathan. feels bad, man. Oh, and when I fetched my first land I realised I left the bog in the SB. It didn't come up, but still.

sideboarding, match 2

in: 1 bojuka bog
    1 swords to plowshares
    3 trinisphere
    2 thorn of amythest

out: 1 knight of the reliquary
    1 courser of kruphix
    2 armageddon
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 tireless tracker
    1 temple garden

The game that i managed to win involved an uncounterable GSZ into prime time, for karakas and tabernacle.

This deck feels fine! I was sure I was walking in with a deck that would fold to any disruption, but there are enough pieces that are generating card advantage that you only need one or two to stick, and especially in this match up the dark depths combo had my opponent allowing more minor pieces to resolve. Don't want to force the exploration or the ramunap when they might just marit lage or titania you out of nowhere.

I thought I would want an umezawa's jitte or two, to make my green 2/3's and 2/4's relevant, and maybe I do, but not vs reanimator.

This deck makes a lot of mana, floating city mana, dropping a land, then replaying it from the graveyard, lotus cobra, etc, etc. Ballista would be a fine addition, but what to cut without screwing up the GSZ package? Maybe the courser, and a ramunap.

edit: Game 1, match 1, I made turn two titania, protector of argoth and two 5/3 tokens. He drew out with griselbrand and tidespouted his way to barely winning.... and I had misplayed city of traitors, costing me a token. Salted myself for sure.

edit 2: Opponent was running some weird sideboard creatures, and two of them came up big... empiryeal archangel ate a lethal marit lage attack, on top of the stormtide i already mentioned. brutal.

played against brain478 on mtgo tonight, their list had thalia, chalice, azusa, arbor, gsz, scooze... I have ANT on mtgo and I got worked.

May 2016
    Maine

This is the list me, brains478, and mzfroste have been playing around with on MTGO for the past week or so. Highexalted played us against the list last night and mentioned y’all were playing around with Azuza and Ramunap Excavator, so I figured I would pop in with some results and the 75, even though it’s more comparable to a black-less aggro loam than it is the old Sylvan Plug style lists that are being adapted here. The list started out as a clunky attempt to leverage Ramunap Excavator, Azusa, and Lotus Cobra into a top end of Titania, Protector of Argoth and Primeval Titan. That ended up being a little too swingy, but we’ve been modifying the decklist as we go to make up for some of the problems with our initial build.

Maindeck (60)
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    2 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Crop Rotation
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    2 Ghost Quarter
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Thespian's Stage
    4 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Sideboard (15)
    1 Crop Rotation
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Fiery Justice
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Choke

A couple notes about the current 75 in comparison to the builds from this thread-

We’re obviously a three-color deck, although red’s a very light splash. Our mana is a bit worse, and we are much weaker to Blood Moon and Back to Basics, however we trade that for a much more robust removal suite to allow more flexibility in dealing with the creatures that slip underneath the lock pieces, which are also less numerous in this build, just 2 Thalia, Teeg, and 4 Chalice MD and the Spheres in the board. As the mana is so color intensive, we are forced to eschew Sol Lands and thus cannot afford to run Trinisphere/Smokestack. This build does not need to lean as heavily on colorless artifact or as many spells/creatures with 2 colorless in their mana costs (although in a more Rotation heavy build an Ancient Tomb would help give more broken starts- it is definitely on the radar).

The big draws to white are an increased diversity in combo hate in Thalia and Teeg, as well as boosting the removal- we have a sweeper that doesn’t kill our Azuza and our other creatures, an efficient way to deal with bigger creatures like Angler and Goyf, and Knight, which has a ton of synergy with the rest of the deck.

Have 4 leagues with this deck in its current iteration- two 2/3s, a 3-2, a 4-1, as well as a 3-3 in this weeks’ legacy challenge (33rd on breakers, thanks Obama), and several of the losses can be attributed to learning the deck and playstyle as I go, as it’s very dissimilar to my typical Elves.

Jul 2013
    Texas

[Deck] Two Green

Ran it back. Cut a tracker, spider and garruk for 2 spatial contortion and deathrite shaman.

Best show and tell with thorn/GQ lock g1 and rec sage lucksack on his Omni g2

Played Aluren each of next two rounds, lost both. Tough matchup but I think I will switch Thorns to Spheres just in case (fairly popular deck here)

Lost to storm when deck petered out and I couldn't close the game before he decayed my chalice on 2 hurkyl'sed my other lock pieces and won.

So not the best showing but I'm gonna chalk that up to some bad matchup luck. I picked up some spheres to replace thorns since Aluren is so popular at the moment, may try a split.

I still think Copter is great. Spatial Contortion was also excellent. I picked up some Warping Wails to test as well. May have to pull the trigger on another City and cut black entirely though... still figuring it out.

Not at all impressed with Tracker. Never seem to want it off GSZ and don't always have lands in hand when I can cast it. May move that around as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2013
    Texas

Kind of feel like this thread petered out but I think the deck has legs.

Obviously green doesn't do a lot on its own but the selection of GSZ and Library is crucial. I trimmed back my black splash quite a bit last night to this mostly G/<> list:

2 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Kitchen Finks
    1 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Dryad Arbor

3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Spatial Contortion
    2 Warping Wail

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    2 Ratchet Bomb

4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Forest
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Ghost Quarter
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Bayou

Sideboard:
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Choke
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Gloom
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Pulse of Murasa
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Removal is so crucial right now and I think the colorless cards are great for what we're trying to do with ramp. Anyway, three rounds...

R1 Maverick lose die roll
    G1 I just get obliterated by the value
    G2 The colorless removal lines up well against his Mom draw. I find Gloom to keep him off STP and knight and win with copter
    G3 He mulls to 5 and I go ham with Titania

R2 Jund lose die roll
    G1 He values me into oblivion, he has like 8 permanents to my 2 and I pack it in
    G2 25 power of Elementals beats less than that of Goyfs
    G3 Same as G1. This is tough matchup

R3 Grixis Delver lose die roll
    G1 Force him to expend resources to keep Chalice off the table and pull ahead with superior ramp/elementals
    G2 Ancient Tomb strikes again, I put myself to 15 before he even lands a threat but then can't keep my head above water
    G3 Thragtusk and Copter combine to go over the top of TNN

So 2-1 overall. I still think Copter is excellent for ripping through the deck and providing early pressure with Dryad Arbor. But the key card is Titania, it completely flips the board state and is just ridiculous with fetches, canopy, city. My favorite move is to bring back a fetch, they attack thinking I'll just make an elemental and chump, I fetch to make the elemental but get Arbor and block with that, then get a second elemental to untap with when it dies.

I don't think I played an excavator all night last night but I definitely had a zenith for it countered vs Grixis. I boarded out all my Chalices and Spheres in all rounds. Chalice is good in the fair matchups when they don't have sideboard for it but I'd rather just have some more hate. Choke is especially nice against the blue decks.

Mar 2007

I've found Grasping Dunes in the Sylvan Plug discussion. Seems interesting - while not as powerful as Cabal Pit, not requiring threshold or black mana seems huge. But maybe it's too slow, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I've found Grasping Dunes in the Sylvan Plug discussion. Seems interesting - while not as powerful as Cabal Pit, not requiring threshold or black mana seems huge. But maybe it's too slow, who knows.
    Adding utility lands, which are reusable via Excavator sounds good, I always enjoyed recurring manlands in stax shells.
    The question is, what to cut?
    Reduce the sol-land count will slow the deck down, less green sources causes problems with casting the colored stuff. And cutting Wastelands does not appear like an option for me...^^

Mar 2007

The Planeswalker rule change is a pretty interesting one. In particular Garruk Relentless/Garruk, The Veil-Cursed got a massive upgrade because it's now possible to have both sides on the battlefield. That seems fanatastic as he's both a grind card and removal.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The Planeswalker rule change is a pretty interesting one. In particular Garruk Relentless/Garruk, The Veil-Cursed got a massive upgrade because it's now possible to have both sides on the battlefield. That seems fanatastic as he's both a grind card and removal.
    @Barook

Yeah i think Planeswalker Rule can be a nice fit here. I would also try to keep it super simple - stay mono green ^^

// 60 Maindeck

// 11 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Mox Diamond

// 13 Creature
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Ramunap Excavator
    3 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Master of the Wild Hunt

// 6 Enchantment
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Choke

// 23 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    6 Forest
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Wasteland
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Ghost Quarter
    1 Horizon Canopy

// 4 Planeswalker
    4 Garruk Relentless

// 3 Sorcery
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 Qasali Slingers
    SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 3 Thought-Knot Seer
    SB: 3 Dismember
    SB: 2 Warping Wail

Its more or less good old Plug-Shell with new Upgrades: Walking Ballista (awesome Stompy Removal-Manasink-Finisher); Garruk Relentless (Removal, Tutor, Win-Con and stackable with the new rule), Ramunap Excavator (Crucible that can beat and tutorable with Zenith).

I keep the rest simple to avoid high variance draws and afterall the only real thing mono green can't offer is a solid sweeper (which can be fit in with a Splash if needed). Yeah Zenith is often use to fit as many 1offs as possible but it will also lead to a lot of random stuff because you can't always tutor up the right piece. As you can see, Maindeck/Sideboard cards are also easy to switch if meta isn't the right to start with maindeck choke/sphere etc.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Don't you want to run buried ruin ? Allows you to get back ballista or a lock piece, and again with ramunap.

Would not Sorcerous Spyglass be better than Trinisphere? Easier to play t1, really screws with opposing manabases.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysse95 View Post
    Don't you want to run buried ruin ? Allows you to get back ballista or a lock piece, and again with ramunap.
    Yeah but i think you must decide which utility/non-color lands you want, you still need Gx mana. Plug cutted down to 3 ancient tomb and only 2 mox, with ramunap we can go up and already are back to city of traitors too - i would pick Volrath's Stronghold over Buried Ruin since both get back Ballista but getting back creatures will be more important than lockpieces. I currently have 1off Ghost Quarter in the 2nd City of Traitors slot.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Would not Sorcerous Spyglass be better than Trinisphere? Easier to play t1, really screws with opposing manabases.
    Feel free to test it, as you mentioned it is faster and easier to cast T1 and can also hit Deathrite opener on the draw (one of the real deals) and is never dead. Trinisphere itself can also be really nasty. Depends on the meta. If i find time i maybe try the switch.

-------

My latest list:

// 61 Maindeck

// 10 Artifact

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Mox Diamond

// 14 Creature
    3 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Obstinate Baloth
    3 Walking Ballista
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Verdurous Gearhulk
    1 Eternal Witness

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Sylvan Library

// 23 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Forest
    4 Wasteland
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    1 Ghost Quarter

// 4 Planeswalker
    4 Garruk Relentless

// 7 Sorcery
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Collective Brutality

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Thought-Knot Seer
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 Spike Weaver
    SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 2 To the Slaughter
    SB: 2 Massacre

Added the proven Black Splash from Plug for more removal/interaction and moved some cards around. Garruk Relentless works really solid now after the last upgrades (Decay immun and "stackable"). Thrun is the current flex slot at side. Choke destroy every greedy Cz.Pile so far but Sorcerous Spyglass might be better if you need more interaction against DDepths Combo.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

@MD.Ghost have you tried Trackers? I've done a few random green stompy-ish shells and have always been impressed by her. (shells like, BG Helm combo fit, this Ramunap stompy, BUG Fit with a playset, etc) I'm wondering how often the Baloths really matter, and if it would be worth it to sacrifice the lifegain/discard shenanigans for raw card draw. I could be wrong though, but I'd assume that with Trackers the need to draw with Library would be reduced.

Then again, I feel like I'm seeing a few more Hymns these days online, so maybe the Baloths pull their weight.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    @MD.Ghost have you tried Trackers? I've done a few random green stompy-ish shells and have always been impressed by her. (shells like, BG Helm combo fit, this Ramunap stompy, BUG Fit with a playset, etc) I'm wondering how often the Baloths really matter, and if it would be worth it to sacrifice the lifegain/discard shenanigans for raw card draw. I could be wrong though, but I'd assume that with Trackers the need to draw with Library would be reduced.

Then again, I feel like I'm seeing a few more Hymns these days online, so maybe the Baloths pull their weight.
    Yeah manawise he Tracker fits very well but for me casting him often feels not aggressiv enough. First of he doesnt interact with your opponent and he needs an investment, Droping lands and pay 2 should work in most cases but it isnt guaranteed and as i said it needs mana too which means you draw cards (good ability) but maybe can't play other stuff if you also play against Wasteland/Port/Daze or doesnt get the right hands as a stompy deck. A 3/2 is simply not good, a 4/3 sounds better but still dies to all removal around and is only bigger than the small legacy dudes etc.

Baloth is a 4/4 which means Decay/Bolt immun (which leaves often push&swords) and will only be smaller than Gofy/Angler, can race TNN or block BSkull. I tried Plug without Baloth (but still with Courser of Kruphix for life), but as a stompy deck you often invest life/cards until you manage to bring the game under control. Gain back 4 life can be relevant, especially vs Delver Decks. Baloth also allow to draw cards with Library, play Toxic Deluge and invest Tomb Mana into bigger stuff, pump Ballista etc. Without lifegain as a backup you will often die if your start is countered/removed and you are behind on the battlefield. Hymn/Liliana is a small bonus the 4c Pile Matchup is already super good!
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm guessing this deck nver turned out to be good enough? I had some success locally with my BG Eldrazi hybrid build, but it was pretty far off from what everyone else was on. Just curious if anyone else is still working on this or if the hype on crucible man has died down
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm guessing this deck nver turned out to be good enough? I had some success locally with my BG Eldrazi hybrid build, but it was pretty far off from what everyone else was on. Just curious if anyone else is still working on this or if the hype on crucible man has died down
    I'm considering bringing it back, I just got discouraged when I couldn't beat aluren and quit on it for a while haha

I actually thought about a punishing version with some Eldrazi because grove produces colorless and Pfire gets around chalice. I just haven't had enough time to get all the cards out and see what it would look like.

Thread Information