Thread: Blood Moon Dark depths Mirage Mirror

Hybrid View

Blood Moon Dark depths Mirage Mirror

Hello
    i'm not really good with copying effect so i would like to get your point of view

I have a dark depths one other land and mirage mirror(2: copy target land, creature ....) in play. My opponent has a blood moon in play.
    What does happen if i use mirror to copy dark depths?

1- I got a mountain
    2- i got a copy of depths without counters

thanks a lot
    Regards
    Pierre

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Re: Blood Moon Dark depths Mirage Mirror

i'm thinking you get both 1 and 2...

you have a legendary dark depths and you want to copy it with a blood moon in play?
    legend rule still applies even with a blood moon in play so you have to lose one of your dark depths.

the mirage mirror wouldn't have counters on it but you don't get marit lage unless you can nuke the blood moon that turn.
    i'm guessing, but at end of turn the mirage mirror turns back into an artifact?

You get a nonbasic Legendary land named "Dark Depths" with its only ability being "t: add {r} to your mana pool."
    The copy effect copies the object as is at the time of the copy. The land maintains its names, super types and sub types, but at the time of copying, it had one ability, which was to add red mana.

If the Blood Moon is destroyed, you will still have same exact land described above, as it did not have any other abilities at the time it was copied.

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfJacks View Post
    You get a nonbasic Legendary land named "Dark Depths" with its only ability being "t: add {r} to your mana pool."
    The copy effect copies the object as is at the time of the copy. The land maintains its names, super types and sub types, but at the time of copying, it had one ability, which was to add red mana.

If the Blood Moon is destroyed, you will still have same exact land described above, as it did not have any other abilities at the time it was copied.
    This isn't entirely correct, the copy effect of mirage mirror gives you a 'normal' Dark Depths, but the Blood Moon immediately applies its own effect onto the copy and makes it a Mountain.

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by its face-down status, and by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set power and toughness (and may also set additional characteristics). Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.
    Both lands (the original and the copy) are still named Dark Depths and are still legendary, so you have to put one into the graveyard, but even if you keep the 0-counters one (the copy) it doesn't have any abilities because it's still a mountain.

If, however, you get rid of the Blood Moon before the end of the turn, the copy will not be a mountain any more and the Dark Depths ability will trigger for having no counters on it.

Regardless of whether Blood Moon is still on the battlefield, at the end of the turn the copy will turn back into a Mirage Mirror.

Thread Information