Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 762

Thread: Ruby Storm

  1. #681
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,065

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    So do you feel comfortable removing the main deck win con? Or is that a typo. Can always bring it in game 2.

    Shreds gets 2 cards back. Imo good even in empty hand but yeah obviously best discarding lands or something. Important to point out bc it gets a ritual and payoff spell though.

    Leaving it at 13 lands for now.


    Edit-think I'm just gonna swap empty for tendrils mained. Can have 1 sb too
    i played a long time without a maindeck wincon. you definitely don't need a maindeck tendrils. you can run 1+ empty maindeck if you're playing vs a lot of delver decks as you can steal games when you have empty in your hand.
    -rob

  2. #682

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i played a long time without a maindeck wincon. you definitely don't need a maindeck tendrils. you can run 1+ empty maindeck if you're playing vs a lot of delver decks as you can steal games when you have empty in your hand.
    I like one MB Empty the Warrens... no reason not to run it really: it is a threat regardless of Burning Wish resolving. 13 lands will make you mulligan more than you should with this deck but, I'll let you "discover" that on your own ;) I find 15-16 lands to be optimal (2 City and Mountains). Did try fetches once upon a time (mistercakes and I had an Autumn Veil build)... you don't need them. I rather lose life from a Probe than from grabbing a land. My 2 cents!

    EDIT: Shreds I came across but didn't personally test... would be a neat trick mid / late game if game goes long... 1-2 copies for sure.

  3. #683

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Speaking about 1r draw cards, Dangerous Wager has been considered?

  4. #684
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,065

    Re: Ruby Storm

    I haven't tried it. Vieko and I tried tormenting voice and cathartic reunion. It could be okay, but I'm a little hesitant to run it. Probably worth testing, but I'm a little skeptical.
    -rob

  5. #685

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I haven't tried it. Vieko and I tried tormenting voice and cathartic reunion. It could be okay, but I'm a little hesitant to run it. Probably worth testing, but I'm a little skeptical.
    Discarding your hand is great if: you've got a Medallion in play, at least 2/3 Mountains and draw into some action. You are probably better off running Tormenting Voice... but, please test it and let us know!

  6. #686

    Re: Ruby Storm

    I think Act on Impluse better than Dangerous Wager. Everything is worth testing though.

  7. #687
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    2,346

    Re: Ruby Storm

    I really think Act on Impulse is good enough on its own. With ancillary card draw like GitProbe and Manamorphose there should be enough velocity to satisfy what the deck needs, especially when considering we sometimes draw 7 cards for 4-5 mana.

    Regarding lands, I think 15 is too many and 13 too few, even with SSG/Lotus Petal/LED. I'm even debating dropping one of the Veins for another Mountain, just because initial red sources are so important.
    Approaching transcendence
    I see clarity through deprivation

    -Suffocation-

  8. #688

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I really think Act on Impulse is good enough on its own. With ancillary card draw like GitProbe and Manamorphose there should be enough velocity to satisfy what the deck needs, especially when considering we sometimes draw 7 cards for 4-5 mana.

    Regarding lands, I think 15 is too many and 13 too few, even with SSG/Lotus Petal/LED. I'm even debating dropping one of the Veins for another Mountain, just because initial red sources are so important.
    It's possible there's a red mana issue that isn't tied to count. In which case I think that going down on sol lands up on red is good.

    I started with 14 and saw land too much off my HUF's and AOI's. Took out a land for a helm. If more testing reveals otherwise I'll switch back.

    I'm usually okay cracking a petal for a ruby/helm though. The mana comes back next turn usually.

  9. #689

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post

    I ordered 4 Shreds of Sanity. I think this card fulfills the Ill-Gotten gains part of storm/spanish. I may try it 1 of mainboard then see how that goes. Bonus is that it gets a ritual+payoff spell discard, anything really. Reducing the cost is extra bonus for this as well. MORE redundancy.
    I have tested 1 Shreds of Sanity main deck and 1 wishboard for 31 games so far (online) and I've found it to work pretty well. I haven't been disappointed drawing or wishing for it. (FYI: I am not playing any LED and no Hazoret's.)

    For example:
    With a cost reducer in play and a Seething Song in the grave:
    Say you cast a Burning Wish for Shreds of Sanity out of the board and cast it to return Seething Song and any sorcery, ultimately it nets you 0 mana, 1 other card out of the graveyard, and 2 storm (2 storm more than if you just Wished for Empty)... Assuming that you have the other cards to keep it going...

    I haven't had an issue with this yet. It think its worth exploring.

  10. #690

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by mkalevv View Post
    I have tested 1 Shreds of Sanity main deck and 1 wishboard for 31 games so far (online) and I've found it to work pretty well. I haven't been disappointed drawing or wishing for it. (FYI: I am not playing any LED and no Hazoret's.)

    For example:
    With a cost reducer in play and a Seething Song in the grave:
    Say you cast a Burning Wish for Shreds of Sanity out of the board and cast it to return Seething Song and any sorcery, ultimately it nets you 0 mana, 1 other card out of the graveyard, and 2 storm (2 storm more than if you just Wished for Empty)... Assuming that you have the other cards to keep it going...

    I haven't had an issue with this yet. It think its worth exploring.
    tons of fast games!!!!thanks for the input. I'll be trying them out.

  11. #691

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Taking Ruby Storm to EW.

    Shreds of Insanity was great. Keeping as 1 of.

    -1 magus +1 abrade

    -1 helm +1 mountain. Had to mulligan down, and lost the games I mulliganed, too many times in testing. Think you guys were right.

    STILL playing fetches. Think I am right about that one.

    List feels really good. I'll post an EW report after I go like 4-5 drop day 1, I'm sure. GOAL IS DAY TWO. Does EW work like a GP? Don't really care. Fun times and lotus petal playmat.

  12. #692
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,065

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Good luck!
    -rob

  13. #693
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    2,346

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Taking Ruby Storm to EW.

    Shreds of Insanity was great. Keeping as 1 of.

    -1 magus +1 abrade

    -1 helm +1 mountain. Had to mulligan down, and lost the games I mulliganed, too many times in testing. Think you guys were right.

    STILL playing fetches. Think I am right about that one.

    List feels really good. I'll post an EW report after I go like 4-5 drop day 1, I'm sure. GOAL IS DAY TWO. Does EW work like a GP? Don't really care. Fun times and lotus petal playmat.
    Good luck! Toast some tier 1's for us!
    Approaching transcendence
    I see clarity through deprivation

    -Suffocation-

  14. #694
    Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Hanni's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2006
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    2,367

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Taking Ruby Storm to EW.

    Shreds of Insanity was great. Keeping as 1 of.

    -1 magus +1 abrade

    -1 helm +1 mountain. Had to mulligan down, and lost the games I mulliganed, too many times in testing. Think you guys were right.

    STILL playing fetches. Think I am right about that one.

    List feels really good. I'll post an EW report after I go like 4-5 drop day 1, I'm sure. GOAL IS DAY TWO. Does EW work like a GP? Don't really care. Fun times and lotus petal playmat.
    EW is not like a GP. Day two is Top 8 only. Last year, there were 10 rounds of swiss. I'm expecting the same amount of rounds this year.
    Sligh
    Mentor Deathblade
    The Mind Harvester
    4c Nobleblade

    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

  15. #695

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post

    Shreds of Insanity was great. Keeping as 1 of.
    Shreds main deck or board?

  16. #696

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    EW is not like a GP. Day two is Top 8 only. Last year, there were 10 rounds of swiss. I'm expecting the same amount of rounds this year.
    oh geez.


    :P

  17. #697

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by mkalevv View Post
    Shreds main deck or board?
    1 mained

  18. #698

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Hi everyone, just finished reading the entire thread. I'm completely fascinated with this deck as an archetype, red based strategies are my passion in magic. Right now I'm waiting for my cards to come in the mail before I can play in paper, may have to wait till tax season next year to pick up led's and tombs, although I do agree that's part of the optimal build. In the meantime I've a few questions and wanted to share stuff I found in research. They aren't likely to fix all problems, but was great fun finding these cards!

    Considering the wishboard, for those interested in lightning bolt, Chain Lightning exists if it's worth it.

    Is there a reason why By Force beats out Shattering Spree? I'm assuming it has something to do with having cost reduced as well as opponents you use it against unlikely to counter it?

    Given the use of manamorphose, petal, and led...is it possible we should consider off color wish targets to answer issues as well as using tendrils or telemin performance as an applicable win con? Thinking Chainer's / Cruel Edict or perhaps Void Snare? Thinking for reanimater etc having a main board target if it's worth it. It likely doesn't solve the Iona issue though. It's a shame we don't have a grave removal card that's wishable, although constant reforging into Haunting Echoes sounds like a great time.

    This deck is not lacking in ways to win the game, that's for sure. If there's enough mana to be made, there's always Living Wish for Emrakul or my favorite post Reforge, Stormbreath Dragon.

    Was looking for other vintage style cards that could be replicated here just for discovery. (Led -lotus, reforge-wheel, past in flames-yawgmoth will, etc. So we do have a time walk that's wishable, was also looking at Glorious End as the same effect. Some other random cards I found include Recall, Martyr's Cry, and Touch of the Void if you need a colorless chain lightning.

    When it comes to gamble, is it anemic in multiples? I know 1-2 has performed well for many, and outside of space being an issue, why not more copies?

    Thank you all so much, My wife and I are totally enthralled with this deck.

    (I'm really happy with the name as is, I'm just surprised no one really said anything about a winery or Ruby Red Grapes(hot))

  19. #699
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,065

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Gl with it. Play a bunch and then if you e identified some weaknesses, just explain the matchups and why some would be a better fit.

    Shattering spree is fine BTW.
    -rob

  20. #700

    Re: Ruby Storm

    Hello! Add me to the list of people who registered into the forums after being fascinated by this deck!

    I see some players are testing Shreds of Sanity, and I wonder why play it over Mizzix's Mastery? Does the +1 cmc matter that much?
    I noticed Mastery was mentioned earlier in the thread but quickly dismissed... IMO it's more attractive than Shreds since it doesn't require you to discard anything and can net you mana when used in a Seething Song. I'm testing 1 copy in the SB and it proved itself useful in situations where I wouldn't have enough mana to pay for the flashbacks from PiF.

    Also: Guttersnipe is amazing! I'm convinced he deserves, at the very least, some slots in the sideboard.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)