Page 72 of 98 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Nevermind, I totally forgot the fact that you were playing AoI. Disregard my comment then

Hi all!

I saw Andrea play with this deck on YouTube and I loved it! I set up a deck for myself too and I'd like to know what you think of two cards for the sideboard: Apex to power and Mob Rule.
    And finally, gamble would not be a good option to have on the main deck?
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

gamble can be good, it's up to you. i wrote about it a few times in the thread. just don't be shy about scrolling back a few pages. i'm not sure about the impact of a card like mob rule. i suspect it's not strong enough.

apex of power is cool, but i think it's a bit win more. i tried it a few times and wasn't super impressed.
    -rob

I enjoyed playing with Gamble, MB and SB, tho I got rid of the SB Gamble because there are better things to do in my opinion. MB is still fine.

Mob Rule is cute but not good enough I'm afraid, there's rarely 20 power on the board to deal a one strike kill and you don't wanna spend so much mana and deal 5-10 damage if you can just win instead.

Apex of Power is good but, like mistercakes says, a bit much of a winmore. Even though it's just one slot, it's not necessary. Same as Goblin War Strike in my opinion.

Running it back! Playing in FNM tonight with the following:

MD

3 tombs
    4 fetches
    6 mtns

4 petals
    3 rubies
    2 helms

3 rites
    3 bonus
    4 faithless looting
    4 desp rit
    4 seething song
    4 manamorphose
    4 act on impulse
    4 wish
    2 PIF
    2 reforge
    2 mizzix's mastery
    1 tendrils

SB

1 apex of power-long hair dont care win most make opponents despair
    1 mizzix
    1 pif
    1 reforge
    1 rite
    1 bonus
    1 tendrils
    1 whats the free red sorcery 2 to everyone and everything? Cave-In thats it
    3 defense grid
    1 abrade
    1 empty the warrens
    1 slaughter games
    1 i forgot. oh by force

i think bonus round may be too much. it feels like additional rubies to me in gold fishing, but rubies are good, so chances are i need to drop a bonus plus a ruby. We'll see how i do tonight, then tomorrow at the local monthly thing. i'll post back on monday.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

best of luck!
    -rob

So Mengucci posted this and it reminded me of the deck lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXq7muQfyHA

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    So Mengucci posted this and it reminded me of the deck lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXq7muQfyHA
    the best part is at the 50 minute mark.
    -rob

Yeah, if I remember correctly I had a 1 lander that only needed one more mana to go off, so when he started with rite of flame it felt kinda good :) our first game I think really showcased how bad frenzy are in a deck that contains lands. 4 or 5 turns to win, totally undisrupted...

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Yeah, if I remember correctly I had a 1 lander that only needed one more mana to go off, so when he started with rite of flame it felt kinda good :) our first game I think really showcased how bad frenzy are in a deck that contains lands. 4 or 5 turns to win, totally undisrupted...
    Yes, this video showed that I'm not going to play with Frenzy in Ruby Storm.

There's no legacy scene where I am so I don't get to play often, but I went to a judge conference over the weekend and got a couple of games in. Won both match ups easily against Turbo Dark Depths and Lands. Nowhere near enough games for proper statistics and not particularly varied opponents, but this list felt pretty consistent:

Main:
    4 Act on Impulse
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Desperate Ritual
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2 Helm of Awakening
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    7 Mountain
    3 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Seething Song
    3 Tormenting Voice

Sideboard:
    1 Banefire
    1 By Force
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Shattering Spree
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Tendrils of Agony

I think the best way to play this deck is to not care at all what your opponent's doing and just keep jamming spells. I got hit by Thoughtseize twice and a Duress in one game and still stormed off the turn after while a sad Marit Lage looked on.

Also with Bonus Round now in the mix I no longer feel like I'm missing out by not having Lion's Eye Diamond. Doubling up Desperate Ritual is nice.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

do you have to discard for each copy of tormenting voice? i want to say yes, but am not 100% sure.
    -rob

You do not. You discard as part of the cost and, as with mana costs, you pay the cost once to put it on the stack then the spell is copied.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

hm okay. then i probably need to test that and cathartic reunion a little bit more. even discarding 2, drawing 6 for 1R or R is pretty dumb.
    -rob

It is. I prefer Tormenting Voice in theory because I'm often discarding stuff like Lightning Bolt or Burning Wish and I don't think I'd consistently be able to find two cards I'm happy to discard to Cathartic Reunion when I need to cast it. I haven't really tested with it though to be fair. I don't know how well either will play with Lion's Eye Diamond but I've been very impressed with Tormenting Voice in this build.

I went 0-3 drop de to stomache ache.

Deck felt so much worse without LED's but there are plenty of ways to do it. Probably lost more to rust and keeping hands I shouldn't more than not having LED's.

I didn't like bonus round though. It actually felt like win-more unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    do you have to discard for each copy of tormenting voice? i want to say yes, but am not 100% sure.
    You need discard one card to cast the Tormenting Voice, because it is a additional cost.

"You must discard exactly one card to cast Tormenting Voice; you can’t cast it without discarding a card, and you can’t discard additional cards."

So, with 2 Bonus Round in the stack (virtually 3, in fact, because the second has one copy), you need discard 3 cards, and draw 6.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Well it's not being cast.

Should be the same reason you can cast copies under trinisphere/thalia/thorn without the tax.
    -rob

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Well it's not being cast.
    exactly, no additional discards:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...me=Bonus+Round
    "08/06/2018 The controller of the copy can’t choose to pay any additional costs for the copy. However, effects based on any additional costs that were paid for the original spell are copied as though those same costs were paid for the copy too."

So, for instance, a copy of a spliced desperate will be spliced as well, but you won't have to discard additional cards to tormenting voice or pirate's pillage.
    miLLe!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    exactly, no additional discards:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...me=Bonus+Round
    "08/06/2018 The controller of the copy can’t choose to pay any additional costs for the copy. However, effects based on any additional costs that were paid for the original spell are copied as though those same costs were paid for the copy too."

So, for instance, a copy of a spliced desperate will be spliced as well, but you won't have to discard additional cards to tormenting voice or pirate's pillage.
    Oh, ty for the explanation. Sorry guys, I was thinking that Bonus Round counts as cast. Sorry about that.
    So, Tormenting Voice could be a nice card for the deck! Lol

Thread Information