Page 58 of 98 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Yeah. That does seem good. Ha. With all that though you can bolt etc. as well.

Well maybe squeezing bolts is too much then. :C

I'll goldfish it all once I get 2 more Bonus Rounds. Opened 2 in the sealed events.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

here's another example:

(1 rock in play) let's say you have 1 probe and 1 pif in your graveyard and 3 mountains in play and a desperate ritual in hand. you draw bonus round.

cast bonus round, cast desperate ritual for 6 red.

cast past in flames with flashback for (RR left), cast desperate flashback. (7 red now). flashback bonus round. (5 red)

cast probe to draw 4 cards. (you have a lot of live outs here). bonus round makes for a very scary draw for opponents.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

if you want to fit bolts, the worst card in the list is still hazoret's. :)

i'd probably consider cutting the 3 hazoret's and running maybe 2 bolts and 1 mountain. the deck is pretty greedy with the red now. maybe just leave a miser's hazoret's in the deck, or if you want to play it safe run a singleton empty.
    -rob

This thread is so awesome. Thx to all the smart people that math good.

Here's a reasonably questionable thought, overmaster in place of G. Probe, and cut one of those or a f. looting for the 4th L. Bolt. With a suite of L. Bolt's, I'm not as concerned with including a storm card/g.snipe/sentinel tower MD. While 4 L. bolt's aren't a wincom by themselves, it's a lot more reassuring against the opponent's interaction. I do question a SB of all wish targets though. An early chalice on two shuts this deck down hard.

And with compact_d's list, why not max ruby? I'm not seeing the benefit of casting another helm instead of a fourth ruby.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

You don't need all wish targets. I'm just messing around. You can cut the dark petition pretty easily. You can also cut the cave in or the Pyroclasm. That frees up 2 spots for 2 Abrade.

I think you should test that with the maindeck I proposed, but with - 2 hazoret's and +2 bolts. I still like hazoret's a bit as it's good with bonus round, but bolt is bolt.

I'll play with 2 haz and 1 more mountain and test some more. (i'm also not opposed to running some more gambles, as they are extremely good with bonus round)
    Last edited by mistercakes; 06-05-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    -rob

the 3 ruby 2 helm split is the number I came up with after the playing the deck a while.

2 helms mean that all future rubies and Defense Grids are Freebies. Defense Grids override Helms for opponent's counterspells anyway. Helm reduces my main deck and side board Tendrils as well.

The ruby/helm/land counts I think have changed for everyone over the course of time to be what they are comfortable with.

I am very comfortable with gambly low land counts and artifact counts from playing reanimator. I sequence and push through quite a bit. I also play Faithless Looting to smooth out those opening hands and pitch lands later in game.

Also why I insist on fetch lands even though the damage actually matters quite a bit. I'm more than happy to win at 1 life, and would rather reduce the amount of lands I draw when I draw 24 cards a turn to increase consistent non-whiffability.

Bonus Round may change all of these things. Can't wait to Faithless Looting x 4. I'm angry at myself for selling off my manamorphoses and LEDS. Though with Bonus Round I think dropping LED for Desperate Ritual may be the actual right call now.

Hi at all.

I'm testing a very tiny blue splash:

Why blue?

Epic Experiment

This card, with some mana and with Bonus can play all the deck!

The SB gains Fluster against combos and control too.

A card that can be tested in this kind of deck is also Set Adrift (whishable!) and maybe Time Spiral.

cheers,
    hadhod

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

could be okay. keep in mind there might be some other single cards that offer a guaranteed win with bonus round if you're going to try blue.

i'd recommend trying out gifts ungiven or intuition. getting 2 gifts ungiven for even 3U with a bonus is a little challenging, but i think you can probably figure out many combos. the main issue is why? if you are going to play blue then you should add the consistency cards like ponder and preordain.

here's what i'm currently at with my testing, which is pure goldfishing still:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Helm of Awakening

// 2 Creature
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 8 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose

// 14 Land
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb

// 22 Sorcery
    3 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Bonus Round

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Instant
    SB: 2 Abrade

// 13 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Cave-In
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 1 Banefire
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Gitaxian Probe
    SB: 1 Gamble

i'm not 100% sold on the 3rd past in flames, but we'll see. if it's going to be anything else it'll likely be a 2nd reforge or an empty.

also, after quite a bit of goldfishing:

-rob

Whiled looking into sideboard options, I realized that Fiery Confluence can be more than a sweeper. It can actually be a win condition that disregards storm count. With enough mana and a Bonus Round and a Burning Wish in hand, you win.
    Cast Bonus Round, cast Ritual/Song, cast Wish grabbing another Round (copy grabs Confluence), cast 2nd Round, cast Confluence. 24 damage to the face.

Bonus round is so friggin awesome.

Just stomped Eldrazi, which I thought was an impossible feat, and the guy went for broke keeping a sb hand of two Leylines, and a Chalice he set on one.
    Won game 1 through a TKS and not much else pressure. Used a B.Round to just double a F.Loot, and the next turn used a B.Round to double a BW, which got a shattering spree and C.Lightning, S.Spree blew out two Dynamo's and a key, C.Lightning busted the TKS. Got a PiF, popped an LED binning a BW, went bonkers with flashback.
    Won game 2 through early hate, two Leylines, and a t2 Chalice on 1. No early pressure (mulled to six, 3 hate pieces, 3 lands), the turn after he played an Endbringer went wild with Bonus Round, was up to two casted in the turn. Had flipped 6 with a BR'd AoI. And got a RftS after a BR, able to cast a Manamorphose between hands. Had two lightning bolts available, Sentinel tower and B.Wish via AoI, and was up to about 13 storm. Not enough mana to do "everything" but enough to win.
    Player conceded both games instead of waiting around for the kill.

Battlebonds may be my favorite set since... ever.

Here's the decklist:

// Legacy - Ruby Storm - Lightning Bonus

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    3 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Helm of Awakening
    1 Sentinel Tower
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 11 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Lightning Bolt

// 14 Land
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb

// 21 Sorcery
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Faithless Looting
    2 Overmaster
    3 Bonus Round

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Defense Grid

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Chain Lightning

Thinking about putting in a hull breach, but not sure for what.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Whiled looking into sideboard options, I realized that Fiery Confluence can be more than a sweeper. It can actually be a win condition that disregards storm count. With enough mana and a Bonus Round and a Burning Wish in hand, you win.
    Cast Bonus Round, cast Ritual/Song, cast Wish grabbing another Round (copy grabs Confluence), cast 2nd Round, cast Confluence. 24 damage to the face.
    Yea it's pretty good. Might be better than the cave in, Pyroclasm spot, would be pretty hard to find another spot though. I'm still not 100% on the bane fire slot, I like being uncounterable. It could also take that spot possibly.

Ill have to count how often I have bonus round + wish + 5 mana (with a rock)
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    could be okay. keep in mind there might be some other single cards that offer a guaranteed win with bonus round if you're going to try blue.

i'd recommend trying out gifts ungiven or intuition. getting 2 gifts ungiven for even 3U with a bonus is a little challenging, but i think you can probably figure out many combos.
    I test Intuition but not Gifts. Intuition seems better 'cause can be a super tutor. But, for tutoring I prefer another card:

I prefer it for soem reason:
    • I like it's a creature. Can chumpblock in some case.
    • It's another copy of bwish.
    • Can tutor some side-in spell (Flusterstorm, Abrade, Surgical for example)

It's blue and it's a problem for the manabase for sure. But I want test it :D

the main issue is why? if you are going to play blue then you should add the consistency cards like ponder and preordain.
    The reason is seample: draw engine like ponder/preordrain reduces the explosive hands and makes very difficult build a good manabase. So, when i built it, i choose explosiveness than consistence (like High Tide's deck)

There is also another interesting Blue card: Turnabout, but it's got double U in mana cost :( (and maybe isn't so powerfull xD).

From my point of view, the U spells give us more consistence than the normal R version:
    1. more tutors
    2. more 1-spell-win
    3. more SB

I hope this is clearer than the previous post, and i hope to give some starting points for study another way to play this deck.

Cheers,
    Hadhod.

PS: @mistercakes: Why Ritual is a trap?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Bc it's significantly worse than led.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i considered the blue recruiter guy for a high tide kind of deck, but i'm not sure how good it would be.

the idea i had with it was with sapphire medallions and high tide.

assuming you have turn 2 sapphire, and turn 3 high tide.

cast this new guy for 1U, get snap. cast snap for U. untap 2 lands (U remaining)
    recast him. get snap #2. cast snap for U (untap 2 land) (UU remaining)
    recast him. do same thing.
    recast him. do same thing.

(now you have UUUU) + 2 untapped lands. (tap for 8 mana)

Cast him for UU, get merchant scroll, cast scroll, get intuition, cast intuition, get 3 snapcaster.

Cast snapcaster targeting snap. Cast snap on snapcaster.

Untap 2 lands. (u remaining), tap both (uuuuu)

Cast snapcaster, target other snap. Return snapcaster again. Tap both islands (now UUU UU UU)

Do this twice more. Ends up with UUU UU UU UU UU and all lands tapped.

Cast snapcaster one last time. And grab merchant scroll to get cunning wish.

Cast cunning wish to get blue sun zenith. Cast new guy to get brain freeze.

Cast brain freeze and then blue sun zenith them for 1 card, or if you think the draw step will kill them then get anything

I'm not sure if this is the optimal build, but being able to kill with just a medallion, a high tide and one of this new guy is pretty powerful.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 06-10-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    -rob

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Defense Grid

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Chain Lightning

Recently played a game where I missed EtW in the SB. Had 6 mana, no rocks, storm count of 10, Burning Wish and Bonus Round in hand, opponent fluster stormed an Overmaster, really wanted an EtW in SB.
    So taking out the Scab-clan. I like the card, but it's not as needed now as a 2-of. Can power through most games without it. For the other Scab-Clan, thinking either Fiery Confluence (when did that get expensive?), Hull Breach, or a 2nd Chain Lightning. Thoughts?

Edit: Or good ole Grapeshot
    Last edited by ahg113; 06-10-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

back to my bolt build, variance with other cards has some high payoff, but the trusty bolts will win more games.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Helm of Awakening

// 12 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Lightning Bolt

// 14 Land
    11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

// 20 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Bonus Round
    1 Gamble

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Instant

// 13 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Dark Petition

not 100% sold on 4 bolts, prob 3 and an empty will be good. it tends to work out better with LED + dark petition -> goblins line for those random mtn+1 mana source +wish + 2 led. i think this is almost always safer just to play 14 goblins.

then it's just this:

// bonus MRS

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Helm of Awakening

// 11 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Lightning Bolt

// 14 Land
    11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

// 21 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Bonus Round
    1 Gamble
    1 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Instant

// 13 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Dark Petition
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Got my set of pre-ordered Bonus Rounds last night, it's time to sleave up and start testing. If it is explosive enough, and it provides enough engine cards like I think it will, I might audible to that deck instead of Nic Fit or Slow Depths at the 1K this weekend.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Sweet. Good luck!
    -rob

lightning bolt
    wondering... does bolt kill anything we need to kill that sudden shock doesn't? SS kills a thalia with mom protection. I know the numbers add up poorly for going lethal with SS and bonus round... just pondering whether it's worth looking at to be able to ice thalia.

Quote Originally Posted by jugglervr View Post
    wondering... does bolt kill anything we need to kill that sudden shock doesn't? SS kills a thalia with mom protection. I know the numbers add up poorly for going lethal with SS and bonus round... just pondering whether it's worth looking at to be able to ice thalia.
    Leo comes to mind immediately. And banking on having a rock out to make the SS the same cost as a LBolt is chancy.

Initial thought on Sentinel Tower, it's too expensive. I attempted to cast it once, bit a FoW, which was ok. Otherwise it sits there and I wonder if/when I want to cast it.

Happy Hunting Mr.Safety

Thread Information