Page 83 of 98 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

that's a great report!

i think the intuitions can rather easily be lightning bolts or empty the warrens. lightning bolt would make some of the matchups a bit easier.

i'd probably consider running 2 bolts and 1 bonus round, or leave the BR in the sb and play 2 bolts + 1 empty. bolts cover those games vs thalia, eidolon and delvers game 1.

too bad losing to burn! with the blue in the deck to support intuition, it could easily be something like echoing truth out of the sb.

(i want to note though that i really love intuition and will still play them)
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

So, I've been tinkering with the Ruby-side of things lately.
    I'm a Painter player at heart, but I also played Storm (TES, ANT, and DDFT) exclusively for a couple years and got the itch again, so I figured I'd take a stab at one of the few storm decks I'd never played.

This is the list I've been currently messing around with:

4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Desperate Ritual
    1 Island
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Mountain
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Ponder
    4 Reforge the Soul
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Seething Song
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
    1 Abrade
    1 By Force
    1 Empty the Warrens
    2 Fiery Confluence
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2 Hope of Ghirapur
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Tendrils of Agony

The list has felt great. The Pyroblast could probably be anything else, but that may just be because I haven't run into Miracles on MTGO in quite a while.

Probably my favorite moment with the deck was playing against MUD.
    Game 1, I went off on turn 2 after a turn 1 Medallion.
    Game 2, my opp goes, turn 1 Metalworker, turn 2 Lodestone + Chalice on 1.
    I proceed to take a couple of hits, then, through the Chalice and Lodestone, I'm able to make enough mana, wish for Grapeshot and kill his metalworker and Lodestone. Then, 2 turns later, I proceed to go off, through the Chalice (thank you Bonus Round) and kill him while I'm at 1 life.

I'm absolutely amazed at how this deck just plows through countermagic and hate. It just never feels too bad to be stopped by a Force or Fluster, because the threat density in this deck is so much higher than other storm decks. Hell, sometimes you just go off again, that very same turn. One Reforge can reset you and win the game.

I believe I'll be taking the deck to St. Louis for the 5k at the end of the month and we will see how it goes.
    I imagine it'll be much harder to keep track of the insane amount of ridiculousness going on with this deck in paper, rather than just letting MTGO do all my math for me.

Nice! I've played in paper a bit and tried using pen and paper at first but it got kind of messy so now i use colored dice. What can be a bit annoying in paper is that some opponents play sloppy and just "yeah whatever" and other opponents want everything correct with regards to how to handle bonus round triggers. I try to always announce the triggers and wait for a response, but some people just does not respond. Then i usually ask if they are ok with shortcutting to just putting all copies on the stack directly and that they need to shout if they want to respond to a bonus round trigger. The stack still can be really messy when casting hazorets with multiple copies.

How do you like the two basic lands in the main? I've played alot with just mountain, a lot with mountain and island, but currently play neither in favour of two simian spirit guides. I do go back an forth tho. The thing i dislike with the basic lands is that so often my main gameplan is to go T1 cantrip, T2 ancient tomb -> win. So i can't fetch for basics t1 anyway. But i'm curious about your opinion.

I love the second fiery confluence in the board, i usually cant decide if i want to board it in or leave it as a wish target.

One suggestion if you do think SB space is tight is to evaluate if you need the tendrils in the board. I did cut mine about 150-200 matches ago and not really missed it. It started with a feeling that every match i won could have been won without it. One thing i'm unsure about is if it will be problematic in paper, just because it's harder to count to 20 than 10. Still, on MTGO i feel confident that i don't need it.

Gonna try your list next league.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think tendrils is really only necessary if you run LED, it allows you to steal a bit more games with some natural storm draws. i'm also considering creating some bonus round trigger cards and bonus round copy cards to help simplify how it all works for opponents.
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Nice! I've played in paper a bit and tried using pen and paper at first but it got kind of messy so now i use colored dice. What can be a bit annoying in paper is that some opponents play sloppy and just "yeah whatever" and other opponents want everything correct with regards to how to handle bonus round triggers. I try to always announce the triggers and wait for a response, but some people just does not respond. Then i usually ask if they are ok with shortcutting to just putting all copies on the stack directly and that they need to shout if they want to respond to a bonus round trigger. The stack still can be really messy when casting hazorets with multiple copies.

How do you like the two basic lands in the main? I've played alot with just mountain, a lot with mountain and island, but currently play neither in favour of two simian spirit guides. I do go back an forth tho. The thing i dislike with the basic lands is that so often my main gameplan is to go T1 cantrip, T2 ancient tomb -> win. So i can't fetch for basics t1 anyway. But i'm curious about your opinion.

I love the second fiery confluence in the board, i usually cant decide if i want to board it in or leave it as a wish target.

One suggestion if you do think SB space is tight is to evaluate if you need the tendrils in the board. I did cut mine about 150-200 matches ago and not really missed it. It started with a feeling that every match i won could have been won without it. One thing i'm unsure about is if it will be problematic in paper, just because it's harder to count to 20 than 10. Still, on MTGO i feel confident that i don't need it.

Gonna try your list next league.
    Well, the base list is one that I got from Cliffy on Facebook and modified it slightly to my own liking, even though he suggested playing a mono-red version with Faithless Looting and Overmaster, saying that it was noticeably better. I, on the other hand, really like the consistency brought by Brainstorm and Ponder.

I've liked the 2 basics a lot so far. It allows you to play a more stable long-game, which is an aspect I enjoyed from playing ANT and DDFT in the past. I haven't tried Mana Monkeys yet, but I've been seeing them pop up. It's something I've been meaning to try out.

The 2nd Fiery Confluence has been great. I generally board one in for games 2-3, just so I have a kill condition if BW gets Surgicalled.
    I also really like having the option to kill off a single Bonus Round trigger with a BW and a low storm count (given that you have enough mana to cast both Confluences).

I haven't felt that SB space is tight (yet). The Tendrils is probably the least useful card, but I will say it feels wrong to play a storm deck without it. I already feel that the Pyroblast is a flex slot. I will say that I'd like to try to fit in a couple of Surgicals in the board, or even a Silent Gravestone or two.

Something I've been meaning to try out is an Intuition in the main. My problem is that I don't know what to cut for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i think tendrils is really only necessary if you run LED, it allows you to steal a bit more games with some natural storm draws. i'm also considering creating some bonus round trigger cards and bonus round copy cards to help simplify how it all works for opponents.
    Let me know if you end up coming up with a design. I'd be interested.
    Although, I might pick up some of these, just to represent the stack, in the meantime:

Well it went pretty good. Got a 5-0 :D

To tired to write a full report, but my matchups where pretty good
    2-0 vs grixis control. Went as usual, they have too few counters and reforge&pif > hymn
    2-1 vs ANT I love the combo mirror, won t2 game 1, then two long games with lots of flusterstorms being cast.
    2-0 vs eldrazi he did not cast any Thought-Knot Seer.
    2-1 vs maverick(i think) lost a game due to mana issues, other than that 2 quick kills
    2-0 vs elves won t2 g1, g2 he got a teeg that was a bit annoying, but found a burning wish

My impressions of the changes where not that many :)

Maindeck differences: (2 basics vs 2 SSG, an pif#2 instead of intuition, 6th fetch instead of 4th volcanic)
    I disliked the basic lands, they only mattered one game vs maverick, i mulled to 6 OTD with island as my only mana source, and 5 red cards, all i needed was to draw a red source to win, but never happened. I never fetched for basic if i had the opportunity to go for volcanic.
    PiF vs intuition i cannot say, did not really come up. I do like pif a lot, and its nice when you bonus round a reforge and really fill your graveyard. But intiution usually gets 2 rof and a pif, so it's a bit like a flexible pif.
    I almost lost because of lacking the fourth volcanic, but that was mostly my own fault as i'd just forgotten that i only had 3, and boarded out the basics (vs ant).

Sideboard differences: (2 hope vs 2 empty, by force vs echoing truth, fiery confluence #2 vs flusterstorm #3) I did cut tendrils for a surgical, as i feel really confident that i don't need it.
    Hope vs empty did not matter, did not board any in, and would not have boarded in empty. But i do love hope.
    I never used by force, i would have boarded it in vs eldrazi, but i had forgotten it.
    Surgical saved me vs ANT.
    Did like the second fiery confluence. Did not really come up, but felt good to have one main and one sideboard.

I do think i'm going to try to get room for Fiery confluence #2, but i really do think that sideboard space is tight.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Well, the base list is one that I got from Cliffy on Facebook and modified it slightly to my own liking, even though he suggested playing a mono-red version with Faithless Looting and Overmaster, saying that it was noticeably better. I, on the other hand, really like the consistency brought by Brainstorm and Ponder.

I've liked the 2 basics a lot so far. It allows you to play a more stable long-game, which is an aspect I enjoyed from playing ANT and DDFT in the past. I haven't tried Mana Monkeys yet, but I've been seeing them pop up. It's something I've been meaning to try out.

The 2nd Fiery Confluence has been great. I generally board one in for games 2-3, just so I have a kill condition if BW gets Surgicalled.
    I also really like having the option to kill off a single Bonus Round trigger with a BW and a low storm count (given that you have enough mana to cast both Confluences).

I haven't felt that SB space is tight (yet). The Tendrils is probably the least useful card, but I will say it feels wrong to play a storm deck without it. I already feel that the Pyroblast is a flex slot. I will say that I'd like to try to fit in a couple of Surgicals in the board, or even a Silent Gravestone or two.

Something I've been meaning to try out is an Intuition in the main. My problem is that I don't know what to cut for it.

Let me know if you end up coming up with a design. I'd be interested.
    Although, I might pick up some of these, just to represent the stack, in the meantime:
    The copy one seems great, I'd recommend having something with maybe the bonus round art on it, as the copies only resolve one at a time, so you will only have one copy of a given spell on the stack at a time, the rest will be bonus round triggers.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Forgive the size.
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

Well it went pretty good. Got a 5-0 :D

To tired to write a full report, but my matchups where pretty good
    2-0 vs grixis control. Went as usual, they have too few counters and reforge&pif > hymn
    2-1 vs ANT I love the combo mirror, won t2 game 1, then two long games with lots of flusterstorms being cast.
    2-0 vs eldrazi he did not cast any Thought-Knot Seer.
    2-1 vs maverick(i think) lost a game due to mana issues, other than that 2 quick kills
    2-0 vs elves won t2 g1, g2 he got a teeg that was a bit annoying, but found a burning wish

My impressions of the changes where not that many :)

Maindeck differences: (2 basics vs 2 SSG, an pif#2 instead of intuition, 6th fetch instead of 4th volcanic)
    I disliked the basic lands, they only mattered one game vs maverick, i mulled to 6 OTD with island as my only mana source, and 5 red cards, all i needed was to draw a red source to win, but never happened. I never fetched for basic if i had the opportunity to go for volcanic.
    PiF vs intuition i cannot say, did not really come up. I do like pif a lot, and its nice when you bonus round a reforge and really fill your graveyard. But intiution usually gets 2 rof and a pif, so it's a bit like a flexible pif.
    I almost lost because of lacking the fourth volcanic, but that was mostly my own fault as i'd just forgotten that i only had 3, and boarded out the basics (vs ant).

Sideboard differences: (2 hope vs 2 empty, by force vs echoing truth, fiery confluence #2 vs flusterstorm #3) I did cut tendrils for a surgical, as i feel really confident that i don't need it.
    Hope vs empty did not matter, did not board any in, and would not have boarded in empty. But i do love hope.
    I never used by force, i would have boarded it in vs eldrazi, but i had forgotten it.
    Surgical saved me vs ANT.
    Did like the second fiery confluence. Did not really come up, but felt good to have one main and one sideboard.

I do think i'm going to try to get room for Fiery confluence #2, but i really do think that sideboard space is tight.
    Well, gratz on the 5-0!
    Also, thank you for the feedback on some of the card choices.
    I'm still hesitant on cutting the Tendrils, but I will say I'm considering cutting it and Pyroblast for 2 Surgicals.
    By Force is a carry-over from me playing lots of TES and DDFT in the past. I actually prefer Meltdown, but I don't like the thought of it melting our own Medallion.
    Hope has been an allstar for me. The list I was given had 2 Defense Grids in that spot, but I've been liking Hope much more.
    The more and more I play this deck online, the more I think the 2 Fiery Confluence in the board is almost necessary. I find myself going for the Bonus Rounded Burning wish for both Confluences quite often, as it saves a lot of time. Also, I almost always board one in for g2-3.

@mistercakes:
    I may have ordered a test batch of custom printed cards with that "Wheel of Fortune" image on it.
    I'll post pictures when I receive them, but, I'm not really sure how long that will take.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Mizzix's Mastery is also a great option for killing if you have bonus round + enough mana for 4cc+4cc.

Or if you run 1 bonus round in the board you can get away with it for 5cc with a Ruby in play.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    By Force is a carry-over from me playing lots of TES and DDFT in the past. I actually prefer Meltdown, but I don't like the thought of it melting our own Medallion.
    Hope has been an allstar for me. The list I was given had 2 Defense Grids in that spot, but I've been liking Hope much more.
    Yeah the original list that i gave to Togores & Cliffy back in september had 2 hope of ghirapur, i think he just switched them for grid as the TES-players had not popularized it yet then so it probably felt a bit obscure. I agree that it's better.

I see that my 5-0 did not get posted as s8shock 5-0 a league for the second week in a row with UR-bonus, i saw he played in the format quarterly event on mtgo yesterday to a 5-3 finish. Not sure what he played there tho. Would be cool to hear his input if he reads here :) I played in it as well, but failed totally. Went 3-5, wins were 2x dredge and stoneblade. Losses to elves, miracles,grixis control, stoneblade and turbo depths. Felt disheartening, especially against grixis as it has been such a great matchup lately. Elves and turbo depths were 1-2 losses where they both had one t2 kill(or at least t2 marit lage) OTP and i had games where i mulliganed to 5.

I've said it before, but this time i think i really will take a long break from the deck and legacy/mtgo in general. When (it's always when, not if, with regard to mtg) i come back i hope there are some new cool lists to play around with. I give it about 63% chance that i don't play again within a week :P

Jan 2017
    TN

Mizzix's Mastery is also a great option for killing if you have bonus round + enough mana for 4cc+4cc.

Or if you run 1 bonus round in the board you can get away with it for 5cc with a Ruby in play.
    Mizzix's Mastery is the definition of overkill if it ever gets overloaded. Seems pretty on-theme for Ruby Storm

I've said it before, but this time i think i really will take a long break from the deck and legacy/mtgo in general. When (it's always when, not if, with regard to mtg) i come back i hope there are some new cool lists to play around with. I give it about 63% chance that i don't play again within a week :P
    I think we're all hoping for the 37% to end up on top.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Yea with that play you actually cast Fiery Confluence for 12 damage, then cast mizzix copying Fiery Confluence and get a copy. Resolve copy first targeting bonus round, then resolve the original mizzix to deal 24 more. :)

I really like it if you have something like turn 1 ruby, turn 2 seething song, bonus round, wish. Get mizzix and hazoret's. Cast mizzix targeting seething song, copy hits bonus round. Resolve bonus round, then resolve original (get 20 red mana). Cast hazorets with 3 bonus round triggers. Good luck losing this one.
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

Yea with that play you actually cast Fiery Confluence for 12 damage, then cast mizzix copying Fiery Confluence and get a copy. Resolve copy first targeting bonus round, then resolve the original mizzix to deal 24 more. :)

I really like it if you have something like turn 1 ruby, turn 2 seething song, bonus round, wish. Get mizzix and hazoret's. Cast mizzix targeting seething song, copy hits bonus round. Resolve bonus round, then resolve original (get 20 red mana). Cast hazorets with 3 bonus round triggers. Good luck losing this one.
    I had to read that 3-4 times just to properly visualize the stack and make sense of what was going on.
    I must need more coffee.

Feb 2016
    New England region USA

Fiery Confluence was not a card I ever pictured being good when I first saw it. Then I saw it played in Red Stompy and thought "Hm, yeah, this card is okay". Then I played it in UR Ruby Storm last night and thought "Wow, this basically being at the worst 4 bolts to the face with Bonus Round is sort of nuts".
    Belcher Aficionado. Lover of Burning Wish.
    Decks I Play/Pimped:
    Experimental Doomsday
    Bizarro Stormy
    TES
    ScapeWish
    UBr Tezzerator/Painter brews

Jan 2017
    TN

So, brought the deck to the St. Louis 5k for Charity at Moonbase Market on Saturday.
    This was my first time playing the deck in paper and I only realistically had 10-ish matches under my belt on MTGO.
    I will say that it didn't take long for me to get into the swing of storm-things again, so that was good.
    Ended up going 4-3, deciding to eschew the final round, since I was mentally drained (and also to play and beat Time Crisis 3 with my buddy). Not great, but definitely not the worst I've ever done.

Round 1: Trinity Tell
    Game 1: I ground through Force, Surgical and Echoing Truth on my Goblins and eventually Grapeshot him over the course of two turns
    Game 2: He drops a turn 2 Axe-Hands and I succumb to 7/7 beats and infinite countermagic, even though I was keeping pace with his card advantage at one point.
    Game 3: I take a crack from a Sneak-Attacked Emrakul, going to 2, losing 3 lands and 2 Medallions. Kept a Petal in hand and if I would have drawn another mana-source in 5 turns after, I could have attempted to go-off again, but he eventually found a G-Brand to finish me off

0-1

Round 2: Elves!
    Game 1: Lose the roll and opponent leads on Fyndhorn Elves. I play a turn 1 Medallion and Pass. Turn 2 my opponent has a full board and I was definitely sweating it for a second, but I'm able to go off on my turn 2 with Bonus Rounded double Fiery Confluences.
    Game 2: My opponent leads off on a turn zero Leyline of the Void, which I expected something of the sort and boarded out one PiF for one Confluence. I end up going for it on my turn three and my opponent packs it in with a Burning Wish and 3 Bonus Round triggers on the stack.

1-1

Round 3: Eldrazi Post
    Game 1: My opponent drops a turn 2 Trinishpere, I make my 3rd land-drop, Burning Wish for By Force, shatter the 3-ball on my 4th turn and then go-off on turn 5.
    Game 2: A quick Thought-Knot and a large Ballista close out the game.
    Game 3: Land, go. Opponent plays a turn 1 Voltaic Key. I make my 2nd land drop and proceed to go-off.
    NOTE: This was my favorite opponent from the entire event (even though he was packing Chalices and 3-Balls). He was loving every minute of our match and asked for my decklist after we were done. Hopefully he sleeves it up at some point.

2-1

Round 4: Esper Stoneblade
    Game 1: I keep a hand with no red source, but an island and double Ponder, so I keep. I don't find another red source for 4-ish turns, but when I do, I attempt to go off (with quad Seething Songs and double Burning Wish in hand). 1st Seething Song is met with actual, factual Counterspell. 2nd Seething Song is met with Snapcaster-actual-factual-Counterspell. 3rd Seething Song gets through and I proceed to go off, playing around the fact that my opponent could swords his own Batterskull to go up to 21 life and I Grapeshot him for 22 (thanks Doishy for all your ridiculously complicated DDFT puzzles).
    Game 2: I go draw go with my opponent for a few turns, sculpting my hand because I was under no pressure. When I decide to pull the trigger, my first Bonus Round is met with Counterspell. My second Bonus Round is met with Flusterstorm. When the dust settled, I ended my turn with 24 goblins. My opponent casts multiple Ponders and Brainstorms on his turn looking for (what he told me after the match) Zealous Persecution, which I'm glad that he didn't find and he succumbed to the horde of little green men.

3-1

Round 5: Mono-Red Prison
    Game 1: I By Force his turn 2 Trinisphere, but am unable to find another wish in time and die to Rabble-beats
    Game 2: I abrade his Scab-Clan, Confluence his 3-Ball, but am unable to rebuild in time and end up dying to Legion Warboss and Chandra

3-2

Round 6: Maverick
    Game 1: He has beaters and a SOFI, but no hatebears, so I'm able to snatch lethal while he had lethal on board.
    Game 2: He has a turn 2 Thalia into a Qasali Pride-Mage for my Medallion and I get beaten to death.
    Game 3: He has a Teeg, Knight and Hierarch (after Pride-Mage-ing my Medallion, again), but no lands in the yard, so I'm able to Grapeshot his board away and deal 3 to his face. He peels a Thalia into SOFI and I'm unable to rebuild in time to beat his board.
    NOTE:Felt bad to lose to Maverick, because I honestly can't remember the last time that happened to me, but hey, it's Legacy and anything can beat anything with a little luck and skill.

3-3

Round 7: Miracles
    Game 1: He scoops to 14 goblins on turn 2 through a Force of Will.
    Game 2: I go draw-go for a few turns, sculpting my hand (expecting to have to go-off through multiple counterspells). He eventually Cliques me, sees my hand (which is all gas) and he lets me keep everything (bad sign). I attempt to combo-off, am met with a Counterspell. Go for it again the next turn, get Snap-Counterspelled. Try for a 3rd time, make 16 goblins and am met with an Izzet Staticaster on end-step. I walked right into it, but still would never expect it. I end up dying to blue-dork beats.
    Game 3:We have a lot of back and forth and I eventually make 18 goblins with him at 17 life. I pass it back and he drops an EE for zero, wiping away my horde. More back and forth and I eventually get there with Fiery Confluence and 3 Bonus Round Triggers after Flustering his Fluster and having him Surgical my Rite of Flames and Seething Songs out of my deck.

4-3

List:

4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Desperate Ritual
    1 Island
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Mountain
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Ponder
    4 Reforge the Soul
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Seething Song
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
    1 Abrade
    1 By Force
    1 Empty the Warrens
    2 Fiery Confluence
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2 Hope of Ghirapur
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Rite of Flame
    2 Surgical Extraction

I ended up cutting the Tendrils and Pyroblast for 2 Surgicals. I didn't need them all day, but it's hard to leave home without them these days.
    I didn't miss the Tendrils at all and never felt like I needed it.
    I never cast Hazoret's the entire day. I could have at a couple points, but I was too chicken-shit to take the chance on it and generally decided to wait the extra turn or so for a deterministic kill.
    I do feel like I could have used a 2nd Abrade or an Echoing Truth and I wouldn't have been opposed to having a 3rd Fluster, but other than that, the deck felt great. I really like where the maindeck is at and even though it's a point of contention, I really do like having both basics.
    Double Fiery Confluence in the SB felt perfect and I'll definitely be keeping that for the foreseeable future.

I want to give a big shout-out to all of my opponents. Every single one of them was a good sport and a joy to play against. Most were amused that I had built the deck entirely in Japanese wtih FBB Volcs and never had an issue calling a judge for oracle text.
    Speaking of, 6 out of my 7 rounds, my opponent called a judge for the oracle text on Bonus Round (which is understandable). After round 3, the judges just started to think it was funny.

I also want to give a shout-out to Jeremy for organizing such an amazing event (and for giving me one of his precious Japanese Banana Kit-Kats) and to Moonbase Market for hosting the event and having awesome, friendly staff (especially at the bar).

All in all, I had an absolute blast playing the deck in this event and I'm excited to be Bonus-Rounding at GP Niagara later this month.

Bonus Round:
    I get home Sunday afternoon, open my mailbox and what do I find?
    Some Bonus Round trigger tokens!

Thanks to mistercakes for the source image.

Great report! Thanks a lot for writing it. I understand how losing to maverick feels, but some times they just draw the right hate at the right time. Same with mono red prison, I feel favoured g1, and favoured to win the match if I win g1. But you can't win all the time :)

Looking forward to your Niagara report :)

Jan 2017
    TN

Great report! Thanks a lot for writing it. I understand how losing to maverick feels, but some times they just draw the right hate at the right time. Same with mono red prison, I feel favoured g1, and favoured to win the match if I win g1. But you can't win all the time :)

Looking forward to your Niagara report :)
    Yeah, in general, I don't think Maverick is something I really ever need to worry about.
    My opponent was a good player and correctly identified that he needed to deal with the Medallion if he wanted his hate to be effective.

I think that the newer builds of Mono-Red are actually a little scarier, since they have 8 Rabble-effects, which makes their clock faster and more consistent.
    We definitely have the tools to deal with their lock pieces, but if they can establish pressure in the meantime, things get much more difficult and that is exactly what happened in both games (dealt with their hate, but died to their pressure).

So I've spent my evening trying to get a good (or is it fun?) build breaking Experimental Frenzy. This is what I came up with. Still a lot of questions though about the exact numbers on a lot of cards. But it can go bananas really fast. Playing your entire deck as early as T1.

Should we play Burning wish? Bonus Round? Empty main?

1 Taiga
    4 Land Grant
    4 lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Helm of Awakening
    4 Ruby Medallion

4 Rite of Flame
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    3 Pyretic Ritual

4 Manamorphose
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Experimental Frenzy
    3 Act on Impulse (given Reforge is a nonbo with Frenzy but still might be better as we don't always have Frenzy)

SB
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think you'll have more fun playing doomsday with experimental frenzy. Check out the discord. It's a two card combo that wins on the spot.
    -rob

Thread Information