Page 88 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

My first builds of UR-bonus round did not include ruby at all, when probe got banned i had found this thread and thought i just switch the probes for ruby medallions just to try. And well, they are still there :) I think it's wrong to cut them. They help so much vs taxing decks and enable a lot more turn 2 kills (but i play with desperate over LED, so might be that). I never sideboard any out, i did vs fast combo for awhile, but the more i play with them the more i realize just how much speed they give. I don't have numbers, but it feels like they are involved a lot in my t2 kills, plays like t1 cantrip, t2 tomb desperate bonus manamorphose burning wish or similar.

I did try out daze, felt great my first 2 matches vs ANT and Show n tell but it felt really weak vs control. They gave me some fake confidence to go off vs an untapped island, hoping they only have spell pierce and then they fow or flusterstorm me. But if i instead wait they get so much mana that it becomes irrelevant. I dunno, will try some more games.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i've been pretty quiet on here for this deck. just been tinkering around with other stuff.

after a bunch of goldfishing around with various builds, more with the UR versions - i think i've found a mono red version that i'm pretty happy with.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 3 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

// 9 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    1 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    7 Mountain
    2 Sandstone Needle

// 23 Sorcery
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Bonus Round
    3 Reforge the Soul
    3 Echo of Eons

// 15 Sideboard
    // 5 Instant
    SB: 1 Abrade
    SB: 2 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 2 Lightning Bolt

// 10 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Pulverize
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Echo of Eons

the echo isn't the greatest card in the deck, but it does have synergy with led (as found with lots of other brews, but also with bonus round and with reforge the soul.

it helps the decks mulligan chances a lot. i thought i would want to run it with gamble, but the more i play with it - i just look at it as an addition to the deck, and not a build around.

if you're able to cast bonus round and then echo, you are able to get 2 twisters with a twister remaining in the graveyard. if you hit spirit guides and/or manamorphose, you shouldn't have a problem casting it out of the grave if necessary. (or led in the 2nd hand)

the sb is more rounded now. 1 abrade + 2 bolts for the delver + thalia decks. 2 kozilek's return for more thalia + random creature decks. 1 pulverize which can be wished for even with spirit guide mana. so there's an out to even karn + lattice. with 7 mountains it's easily attainable.

(EDIT: I would recommend only start testing this list with the new London mulligan rule, that's where the big benefit of Echo comes in the most)
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Turn 1 ruby
    Turn 2 mtn seething song. Gives you 1RRRRR Bonus round, repeated reverberation (1RRRR), manamorphose. This casts

1 bonus round copy for manamorphose, 4 copies for repeated reverberation. 1 original copy. 12 mana and 6 cards.

2nd and more importantly, realistic scenario.
    Turn 1 ruby
    Turn 2 mtn seething song, repeated reverberation, act on impulse. (flip 9 cards and have R floating.)

This also just requires 7 mana without a Ruby, which is pretty easy to get by turn 3.

Would be interesting to test it a little, as the extra mana and a one time use is very powerful, especially with act on impulse or manamorphose.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

starting to play on modo a little more now. will hopefully have some deck changes in a few days for the mono red version.
    -rob

Nice :)

I've not been playing that much lately, but i've been experimenting with narsets, dazes and aria of flame. I currently enjoy having a single Aria of Flame, it's nice to have against PW:s and it's really hard for grixis/UR to remove, but it sucks to get it bounced with 3-4 counters on it.

I played the format playoffs yesterday, went 5-3. Lost 1-2 vs rug delver, 1-2 vs ANT and 1-2 vs grixis delver. Won 2-0 vs miracles, 2-1 vs grixis control, 2-0 vs enchantress, 2-0 vs eldrazi and 2-1 vs sneak and show. Deck felt good and i could have won all the 3 games i lost had i played differently (or in one case, if i had tendrils in the board).

This is what i played.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Ponder
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Mountain
    3 Reforge the Soul
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Island
    1 Aria of Flame
    1 Intuition
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

SB

2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Fiery Confluence
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Abrade
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Defense Grid

Apr 2018
    Valencia, Spain

I usually play different variants of the monored version, and I think that M20 brings us some toys to test.

1.-Bag of holding
    Could we abuse on this card, combined with Reforge the soul? It could give us 7+7 cards, good fuel for our hand.

2.- Repeated reverberation
    I’m thinking on combinations with this card, bonus round and lightning bolt.
    Something like:
    Repeated reverberation > Bonus round ( + 2 copies) > resolve to obtain 7 virtual copies of a definitive Lightning bolt (24 damage)
    Is this play correct? If not, how could we combine them to optimize this play?

Thank you all for this sweety deck.
    Make them burn!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i thought about those 2 cards. i'm not sure that repeated reverberation really deserves a slot here, but might as well test it.

the artifact could be okay in matchups where you need to grind it out and get a few more card draws in, but it's hard to say.

i am actually a little interesting in the 3cc chandra. it starts at 4 loyalty, can go to 5 when it comes into play, can make some attackers (not sure if this is great, but does work okay with light up the stage).

the main ability is the flashback for a card (-2) ability.

realistically you are going to be able to fire this off twice. would require testing, but i kind of like this idea. if there were a way to pair it with some other planeswalker that's a nice bonus, but i'm okay with it on its own.
    -rob

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Quote Originally Posted by Metropolitano View Post
    Something like:
    Repeated reverberation > Bonus round ( + 2 copies) > resolve to obtain 7 virtual copies of a definitive Lightning bolt (24 damage)
    Is this play correct? If not, how could we combine them to optimize this play?
    That would give you only 2 bonus round triggers, since bonus round doesn't trigger on copies or spells already on the stack. (9 damage)

Bonus Round -> Repeated Reverberation (+Bonus Round trigger) -> Lightning Bolt (15 damage)
    Last edited by Watcher487; 07-04-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

The 2nd one BR into three X would make 6 copies for the following spell.
    -rob

Old School
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    The 2nd one BR into three X would make 6 copies for the following spell.
    How would it make 6 copies? You only get 2 copies off of Repeated Reverberation cast by itself. Bonus Round only triggers off of instants and sorceries CAST not copied.

And I apologize, Repeated Reverberation -> Bonus Round -> Lightning Bolt would give you 3 copies + original (12 damage)
    Team Albany

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher487 View Post
    How would it make 6 copies? You only get 2 copies off of Repeated Reverberation cast by itself. Bonus Round only triggers off of instants and sorceries CAST not copied.

And I apologize, Repeated Reverberation -> Bonus Round -> Lightning Bolt would give you 3 copies + original (12 damage)
    cast bonus round. then cast repeated reverberation. you get a copy of repeated reverberation + the original repeated reverberation.

cast lightning bolt. you get 3 triggers on the stack, a bonus round, 1st repeat, 2nd repeat.

resolve 2nd repeat first, you get 3 bolts.
    resolve 1st repeat, you get 3 more bolts
    resolve bonus round, you get a bolt
    resolve bolt, 3 damage.

9 + 9 + 3 + 3 = 24 damage.
    -rob

Old School
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    cast bonus round. then cast repeated reverberation. you get a copy of repeated reverberation + the original repeated reverberation.

cast lightning bolt. you get 3 triggers on the stack, a bonus round, 1st repeat, 2nd repeat.

resolve 2nd repeat first, you get 3 bolts.
    resolve 1st repeat, you get 3 more bolts
    resolve bonus round, you get a bolt
    resolve bolt, 3 damage.

9 + 9 + 3 + 3 = 24 damage.
    You don't get 3 copies off of Repeated Reverberation. You get 2 copies. And I forgot the to resolve bonus round on the bolt.
    Team Albany

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Oops, so 18 damage.

I actually did the same math for manamorphose a few posts up. I should have just checked that. Came to 6 total manamorphoses
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

It crashed before I could flash back another Bonus Round.
    It only let me get to 255 in the effects area

That's awesome. Way to live the best life.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Glad to know the program still has its limits. I used to break modo with read the runes for x =200+ during days of prismatic.
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

Now I know when to stop meme-ing on people so that I don't crash MtGO:

I've ended up here after playing a ton of practice matches. Still tweaking for now.

@8bit9mm: No full video? Any stream?

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    @8bit9mm: No full video? Any stream?
    Sorry, I haven't recorded or streamed in a long time.
    Just ridiculous screenshots these days.

One of these days I'll get it all set up again, but life has been too busy lately.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Sorry, I haven't recorded or streamed in a long time.
    Just ridiculous screenshots these days.

One of these days I'll get it all set up again, but life has been too busy lately.

Yes please! I would love to see one of these ridiculous plays in real time.

Thread Information