Page 38 of 98 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

2 main complaints to fetchlands, 1 minor one.

1: life loss. it is relevant in many cases.
    2: it opens you up to stifle. the deck is only affected by the storm trigger. at that point you could play around stifle by ensuring you have a past in flames and can recast the storm card.
    3: it could get pithing needled or spyglassed. (edge case, but still possible)

all of this needs to be considered for a very very small increase in odds. there's lots of information involved regarding how useful this is % wise. you'll just have to find them.
    -rob

It can also help keep opponent's DRS active and maybe grow their Goyf if they hadn't drawn a fetchland themselves, though that's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    2 main complaints to fetchlands, 1 minor one.

1: life loss. it is relevant in many cases.
    The life loss definitely does matter. I'm playing 4 currently - and I have had it be an issue.

Contemplating taking them back out, but I'm going with the assumption that the thinning helps you miss bricking on land when you are comboing and you play AoI.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by mkalevv View Post
    The life loss definitely does matter. I'm playing 4 currently - and I have had it be an issue.

Contemplating taking them back out, but I'm going with the assumption that the thinning helps you miss bricking on land when you are comboing and you play AoI.
    What if we go back to no fetches but then we run magmatic insight to have something to do with the lands we rip?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

I've not had those problems.

Sounds like a temur delver heavy meta.

I can absolutely see the reasoning. My experience has been the opposite however.

It's a percentage game either way. Increase drawing lands- safety to stifle.

Decrease drawing lands -life and stifle loss.

I prefer to have my main deck plan be as consistent as possible regardless of opponent's deck. Meta changes come after IMO.

I've lost more games to board wipes on my gobbos than any of the things you've mentioned.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I highly suggest you work the math out. The number of lands is 14/15 total.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096

Referenced here
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...thin-your-deck

The debate has clearly gone on for a very long time.

TLDR : If there's a bonus effect besides deck thinning, play fetches. If not, don't.

Also with the empty sweeper comment, that's why I don't run any main, although an argument for 1 is fine.
    -rob

Fetchland is nice to play around Jace +2

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I suppose, but that's not much going to happen enough to justify it. First they have to tap out at 4 mana, and then you'll need a fetch.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    I've lost more games to board wipes on my gobbos than any of the things you've mentioned.
    What kind of sweepers, and was it G1? The stuff I've run into are Supreme Verdict and the occasional Toxic Deluge. Golgari Charm and Maelstrom Pulse don't show up very often (and when they do, I'm playing them lol...) Also, what turn are you making Gobbos? I have found empty = 12+ has been very effective t1-2. By turn 3-4 when Deluge/Verdict come online I am definitely going for a 1-turn win, with either Tendrils or Goblin War Strike.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

toxic deluge, pernicious deed, golgari charm, march casualties, izzet staticaster, pyroclasm, whip flare.

yes game one with some.

I highly suggest you work the math out. The number of lands is 14/15 total.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096

Referenced here
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...thin-your-deck

The debate has clearly gone on for a very long time.

TLDR : If there's a bonus effect besides deck thinning, play fetches. If not, don't.

The argument there is for normal decks that do NOT draw 15-30 cards in a game.

There's a big difference between "pay 1 life to have a .1% chance to draw a bolt instead" and "Pay 1 life to blank a land in your 15 cards to prevent a storm fizzle".

it's a non ad-nauseum storm deck. If you lose to 1 life, it probably wasn't the life that you lost to, it was the control or fizzle.

Math isn't the end all be all for decklists and land counts. Experience and repetition determine much more. You can't use blanket math that gets applied to burn decks for rogue combo decks that see many more cards either. It's completely different and only goes so far. Better as a starting point.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

If that's not enough to convince you, not a worry. I'm just happy people are playing the deck at all.
    -rob

If that's not enough to convince you, not a worry. I'm just happy people are playing the deck at all.
    Haha. Well, positive response. I think the deck is a ton of fun.

I have lots of ideas for experimenting, but focusing on mono U painter til after Dec 3.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    toxic deluge, pernicious deed, golgari charm, march casualties, izzet staticaster, pyroclasm, whip flare.

yes game one with some.
    Wow, I haven't seen Pyroclasm in ages...TES? Marsh Casualties I see occasionally, there are Czech Pile/Grixis Delver decks that use that in my meta. Pernicious Deed is almost never seen. Staticaster is getting play in Legacy now? Must be because of Elves. I have literally *never* seen a whipflare in any competitive game I've played. Affinity? You have a very diverse metagame, or are you going mostly on MODO experience? (I don't play MODO.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Wow, I haven't seen Pyroclasm in ages...TES? Marsh Casualties I see occasionally, there are Czech Pile/Grixis Delver decks that use that in my meta. Pernicious Deed is almost never seen. Staticaster is getting play in Legacy now? Must be because of Elves. I have literally *never* seen a whipflare in any competitive game I've played. Affinity? You have a very diverse metagame, or are you going mostly on MODO experience? (I don't play MODO.)
    grixis delver, czech pile, affinity, tezzerator, nic fit

paper. i don't play online.

Have there been any issues with not having enough instants to utilise Shred of Insanity to its fullest? Or is it generally okay just getting back a sorcery and discarding something else?

For the people that were testing it, was there any luck with Dangerous Wager? Or was it too dangerous?

This deck is too much fun. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
    Have there been any issues with not having enough instants to utilise Shred of Insanity to its fullest? Or is it generally okay just getting back a sorcery and discarding something else?

For the people that were testing it, was there any luck with Dangerous Wager? Or was it too dangerous?

This deck is too much fun. Almost.
    haven't tested Wager yet.

Seething Song, Manamorphose are both instants. Shreds almost never whiffed for me. Also a 1 of.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Anyone tried Mizzix's Mastery yet?

• Its a wish target
    • CMC and overload can be reduced by Medallions
    • Its overload can be used when flipped off of Undying Fury

How many would you play MD and SB if you guys played this? Is PiF Exclusively better?
    Once you go Legacy...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    Anyone tried Mizzix's Mastery yet?

• Its a wish target
    • CMC and overload can be reduced by Medallions
    • Its overload can be used when flipped off of Undying Fury

How many would you play MD and SB if you guys played this? Is PiF Exclusively better?
    I think, for the most part, PiF is a much better engine piece. In many of our lists that is the role that Gamble plays, extra copies of PIF.
    Brainstorm Realist

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to legacy and I've started with this deck. I'm playing on MTGO. My first match, I challenged someone who put as comments "no control", and they responded to my seething song by complaining that "mass mana production is control" and proceeding to time themselves out without so much as letting it resolve. (wut?!?) Second match, I just lost to a deck that had some really good sideboard hate -- but I did win game 2, and my opponent directed me to this forum for tips.

The one card I'm running that I don't think anyone has mentioned is Firebrand Archer -- it's a cheaper guttersnipe in terms of mana, does half as much damage but triggers off artifacts as well (and I'm running 4 petals, 4 medallions, and 2 helms of awakening). Does anyone else think it's a good idea?

Also, I keep seeing LED mentioned in this thread but can't figure out what card that is. Anyone wiling to tell me? I've read through the last several pages but maybe I missed it.

Thread Information