Page 66 of 98 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

I can see how something like bonus round, manamorphose and have a blue cantrip in your hand is very likely game over. I agree that Reforge is one of the best cards in the deck and best reasons to play this deck over the other storm variants. With the cantrips it's a lot easier to justify 4 maindeck. I'm tempted to run 4 maindeck and probably should, fetching for it with wish is probably not as good overall and can easily board 1 put vs the non blue decks. (where wish Reforge is pretty excellent, also led works better with Reforge when it's not being miracled.)

Your point about act on impulse is spot on. It is significantly worse without led. I would probably cut either the empty or a desperate for a gamble in this list. I think it provides a bit too much value with brainstorm and Reforge.

I'm not sure you'll need 4 volcanics, it might be better just to run 2 more fetches and keep 2 maindeck. I do see how having only 3 fetchable lands could be an issue. maybe 3 volc could be better with an extra fetch in there.

Do you have any match notes?

i'll goldfish a bunch with your 75 and see how it goes.

edit: after goldfishing a few games already, i can see this is an extremely powerful version of the deck. i think it loses some raw power without led, but the cantrips make bonus round + some mana more or less unbeatable.

very cool ideas here.

i just noticed i'm running the 4th ponder over the empty. i think this is probably better overall. (it could also be gamble)

gamble with bonus round (i've mentioned earlier in the thread) + ruby can lead to some dirty tricks.

tested about 15 games so far and am trying to find a compromise:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 11 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Brainstorm

// 15 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Mountain
    3 Wooded Foothills
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Scalding Tarn

// 22 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Act on Impulse
    3 Reforge the Soul
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Ponder

sb undetermined. i really like how brainstorm / aoi / led works together.

4 reforge is probably correct as you mentioned. i can move AoI to the sb as a wish target. prob could be excellent.

also not sure of sb but i think something like this could work:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 8 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song

// 15 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Mountain
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Sandstone Needle

// 25 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Reforge the Soul
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Ponder
    4 Act on Impulse

// 14 Sideboard
    // 6 Artifact
    SB: 4 Defense Grid
    SB: 2 Silent Gravestone

// 8 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury

brainstorm is good with the miracle, but i think ponder is worth the blue splash. (brainstorm can be fantastic, but i think combining ponder into this deck adds a lot more value than stripped the led/aoi package).

will give it some more testing.

main thing for me is ponder helps the opening hands a lot better than brainstorm.
    -rob

I actually think i need 5 fetchable lands, it comes up in the more grindy matchups that i run out of lands now, especially if i reforge away some early but becomes stopped again.

Don't really have any match notes, i play to fast and to much and think to little about past games :) I've played about 1 mtgo league every 2 days, and have been for about a month now (or hmm 21 leagues played i think). Had 48 event tickets to start, and is currently at 24. But i have experimented alot and some experiments where really bad. The 75 i run now has been mostly intact for the last 7 leagues i think, switched some cards here and there, mostly in the sideboard. Started out with 2 4-1s where both losses where to burn where i lost the roll. (pyrostatic pillar/eidolin hurts) then 3 3-2s and now 2 2-3s. Decks like dnt/elves/eldrazi/maverick/turbodepths/lands is very good matchups, chalice is thanks to bonus round not a big problem, discard can be, but all you really need is to establish some mana and reforge if they discard you to hard. Miracles/grixiscontrol/stoneblade has been a lot better since i added reforge, I've won more than i lost. Reanimator is bad, ant/tes is coin-flippy, sneak and show is kind of bad, but not played against it a lot lately and won the last time. Delver decks are hard, but still winnable.

One line that happens kind of frequently that i mess up is a hand with volcanic fetch ruby brainstorm reforge, sometimes it's better to start with fetch -> brainstorm, put reforge 2 cards down and turn 2 play ruby. I often play volcanic brainstorm thinking that i want the fetch to shuffle, then realize i cant play ruby without shuffling away reforge.

Depending on the matchup and hand it's better to play cantrip t1 than tomb-> ruby. Many t2 kills come from cantrip t1, t2 ruby -> desperate -> bonus round -> manamorphose and win from there.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

No, you'll need to back that up with some data.

Josef, what are your thoughts on running fire / ice?
    -rob

Don't think Laboratory Maniac adds anything special? EtW main is probably not needed, but otherwise i would probably run 2 in the board so i can board one in.

I have thought about fire/ice before but never tested it. It offers a lot of flexibility for sure, but not really sure what the best case scenarios are, tap down a control player eot or kill an canonist/thalia probably, tap marit lage can be relevant. I've actually never really tried the bolt plan, so maybe i'm underestimating the power of killing delvers and stuff.

One of the main problems with the deck in my opinion is that you have almost 60% of the deck dedicated to generate mana, i'm looking at ways to smooth that out but not be clunky. Been thinking about trying out search for azcanta, but it feels to slow in the worst matchups. But at the moment i'm mostly working on actually finding out what i think the deck needs and what the problems actually are :)

Another thing that actually took me many games to realize that i thought i share here is that I've been operating under the first impression that bonus round does not help against counters because they get duplicated too. That is true of the first bonus round, but the second one actually makes you safe because you add 3 BR triggers at once, the first resolves, but if the opponent tries to fow then, they only have two active targets. It does not come up much, but it's good to know.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thank you for that bonus round insight. i haven't played on modo in quite some time now so i think that would be the only place i would have caught that (even then might have missed it).

the bolts are very good in the deck and it's definitely worth a shot. the ability to kill delver, thalia, hierarch, and snapcaster/jace + it is a win con with 3 bonus rounds resolved (or 2 bonus round, 2 bolt) is very flexible. search for azcanta is actually a really good idea for the grindy matchups, but not sure if it's ever good enough for the maindeck.

i was thinking more about how to abuse bonus round and there's only a few things that come up for me:

1) gamble
    2) some kind of regrowth effect
    3) some kind of tutor effect
    4) faithless looting

1) gamble is good, bonus round + gamble with a PiF in hand + R mana lets you get 2 rite of flame. it's very likely you can win here.
    as long as you don't discard both RoF, you can cast RoF for either 9 mana (total) or 6 mana. then you can cast past in flames for 4 or 5 mana. flashback RoF, flashback Bonus Round, flashback other RoF, flashback gamble (this time get 4 cards) worst case scenario you set up a loop. PiF, RoF, Manamorphose, Gamble. should be pretty easy to win off of that.

2) regrowth is interesting, but the 1G is pretty prohibitive.

3) the best tutor after burning wish and gamble is probably dark petition because if it resolves you can just win the game (with bonus round + dark petition). there might be some other options that are okay like intuition and gifts ungiven but i think the mana cost is a bit too much. (i do like that dark petition could potentially hit from hazoret's, which is cool...but maybe in a too cute kind of way.

4) i've tried faithless and i don't really like the card disadvantage it provides. (it's also worse with sandstone needle as it's a much better t1 play)
    -rob

Regarding those

1) I've played gamble before, both in main and in sideboard and i don't like it. In your scenario there's 25% to discard both rof (if you only have pif and gamble) and that's so 'obvious' that i don't want to do it, even though i very often 'gamble' with hoping to draw something of a manamorphose and thats probably even higher failrate :) But the games i played with it i never once cast it for anything besides pif.

2) I've thought about noxious revival. It could be cool with bonus round, but then you need a draw spell afterwards and if you have bonus round and a draw spell it feels like win-more.

3) 5 mana for dark petition is alot, and needs a manamorphose or 2 petals... I've tried intuition/gifts/meditate, and while they all were insane with bonus round they were expensive and let our opponents use reb and pyroblast against us. While they still can pyroblast my cantrips, having an expensive game winning spell pyroblasted is to much feelbad for me.

4) if i could not play blue i would probably run some faithless and maybe overmaster. Had one of each in for a while to test them. Overmaster over-performed but i think mostly against players who made the mistake of letting me ramp up to large amounts of mana before burning wish or pif.

I keep looking over old modern/extended storm list to find the magic missing piece, but haven't found anything yet.
    Last edited by JosefK; 09-13-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea i think wotc will always be a little careful about cards that will boost the UR modern storm deck, which unfortunately impacts this deck (excluding sets that only are EDH/eternal) like battlebond and commander.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Another thing that actually took me many games to realize that i thought i share here is that I've been operating under the first impression that bonus round does not help against counters because they get duplicated too. That is true of the first bonus round, but the second one actually makes you safe because you add 3 BR triggers at once, the first resolves, but if the opponent tries to fow then, they only have two active targets. It does not come up much, but it's good to know.

question about this. can't the opponent let all the copies of your spells go on the stack with the bonus rounds? then cast fow and target all copies or am i missing something?

or is it b/c the bonus round trigger is on the stack instead of the spell copy on the stack? (could you maybe just do a screenshot with modo when there's 2 copies of bonus round being resolved so that i can get a better visualization of this?)

-rob
    -rob

Not really good with uploading images, but what happens is this
    2 bonus round played, so 3 BR effects

Play burning wish
    Stack is

Burning wish - BR1 - BR2 - BR3

Let BR3 resolve, stack becomes

Burning wish - BR1 - BR2 - Burning wish2

Fow now has 2 targets, but if he does not fow there, burning wish 2 resolves and then the stack is

Burning wish - BR1 - BR2

If he instead does fow, stack becomes

Burning wish - BR1 - BR2 - Burning wish2 - Fow - FOWBR1 - FOWBR2 - FOWBR3

All those fow bonusround triggers will resolve before BR2 puts a copy on the stack.

Man, dont know if i make sense, might be able to take a screenshot later this weekend :)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

makes sense. thanks!

so the bonus round triggers have not become copies of the spell. so FoW can only target the copies, and unless he has another effect like stifle, those bonus round triggers will still be there.
    -rob

https://youtu.be/PjPrBqfWEGU

1:33 in. Apparently he has recorded a league with it himself.

Actually I don't really like the attention his stream have given to the deck :) hope it will still surprise people.
    Last edited by JosefK; 09-14-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Will give it a watch later.
    -rob

I'm always on the lookout for new cards to try in this deck and I have come across Aether Flash as a potential sideboard option. Shuts down your own Empty the Warrens but wrecks any creature deck. I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    https://youtu.be/PjPrBqfWEGU

1:33 in. Apparently he has recorded a league with it himself.

Actually I don't really like the attention his stream have given to the deck :) hope it will still surprise people.
    Not sure the link is correct, deck tech is on Nic Fit Rector. Still CFB production?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Scroll to the time position
    -rob

Easy reply was easy.

Gotta give props, I was skeptical of the blue splash, but the cantrips did do work.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Could be an okay sb card

Thousand year storm
    -rob

Half a year ago or so I played the deck quite a lot but dropped it since. Now I want to play it again and I see all these blue lists, are they generally better than the mono red lists? Or is it still a brew?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

They're both still brews. I think it's just Josef on the blue list. Always hoping for more cards with each set.

What kind of build are you looking to build?
    -rob

Thread Information